Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChrisKen

Re: How has the Coronavirus Pandemic affected You?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Other than not being able to purchase some items the morons have flocked to, very little has changed.

mxp

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:34 am

hi everyone
i live in Milan Italy
So how ù suppose here its completely chos. people are not respecting orders to stay home and there a lot around. totally in Italy 4900 death. From tomorrow military and Police can stop everbody walking or driving
as for me i work ad station agent in Subway so im still at work they decide not to stop it. They are economic interest behind
my sister and my Brother are working from home
we locked our old parents at home

seb146

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 am

I am missing Baxter, our puppers from a few years ago. I do miss him from time to time but now, for some reason, I think about him more.

I am also looking for TV series the brosband and I can binge watch. I can not find any online outlets that have "My Family"! That hilarious Brit-Com about the dentist and his wife. We never saw it to the end, so we have always wondered how it ends.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Classa64

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:16 am

Northern Ontario, Canada. Schools closed, restaurants coffee shops etc. closed except take out. Stores stocked to a point other than TP and sanitizer. Pretty much everything else cancelled for now. I work in the transportation sector as a Technician so I go to work , we have closed weekends and limited hours, appointments are down from what normally would be 50-60 cars a day to 15-20, mostly recalls and urgent repairs, some lite maintenance. Every car gets sanitized wiped down and customers taken home. We can and have done some Ambulance, Police and MTO maintenance so its good were open in my opinion, we are a small place and limit interactions with others and we work on our own well anyway. CADA ( Canadian Automobile Dealer Association) is pushing Ottawa to class all Car/Truck dealers as an essential service during this pandemic to keep things moving and us getting a paycheck.
My wife works in Housekeeping at the Hospital and has been working hard and safe.
We both like it at home, movies, dinners etc and not big on going out, we do miss going once a week to our favorite restaurant and the Movies but its not the end of the world.
Greatly restricted my social media other than government sources for info due to the Fear mongering issues on a lot of sites.
last five days has been driving from home to work and nowhere else for now till I need food... gas is down to .97 a Liter, but nowhere to drive sadly.

Will just be patient and wait it out, its all we can do.
C
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

theaviator380

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:59 pm

mxp wrote:
hi everyone
i live in Milan Italy
So how ù suppose here its completely chos. people are not respecting orders to stay home and there a lot around. totally in Italy 4900 death. From tomorrow military and Police can stop everbody walking or driving
as for me i work ad station agent in Subway so im still at work they decide not to stop it. They are economic interest behind
my sister and my Brother are working from home
we locked our old parents at home

Take care mate ! hope we all see through this tough period.

Cheers.

bmartino99

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Houston, Texas here. Besides working from home I've been taking the Vette out when it isn't raining. Its so rare to have so little traffic around Houston and its been a driving pleasure.

mdsh00

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Southern California.

Doctor here so going back to work starting tomorrow after the weekend off. The hospital has been eerily quiet for the last week. The following week I do hospital rounds. Hoping that the surge doesn't come to fruition or that it's manageable. If anything it gives us more time to prepare and stock up on masks and PPE.

Wife has been given work from home orders until the end of May so that's good at least.

BN747

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Me?....not much.

But America? hunkered down & hibernating?
Well, everyone will have trump's waist line or larger... social skills will take a step back with people more distrusting of others 'permanently now', that's going negatively impact dating, gatherings even professional assemblies will never be the same again. And the longer it goes...only a trained psychologist can cough up the best guess.

Mine? Can't build a Wall, then make everyone wear one. Worldwide.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

invertalon

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Here in Northeast Ohio (US)... Very little has changed for me, aside from working from home (which is nice...). Ohio just put in a mandatory "stay at home" for non-essential means starting tomorrow night, but I will still be able to work thankfully.We also have limited our friends stopping by for drinks and such.

We never go out to eat, so I continue to cook, bake breads, brew beer and all that fun stuff. My husky still demands his walks, so we continue to walk with him 3-5 miles per day. If anything, that will be going up. Stores have all been stocked just fine the past two weeks, aside from toilet paper (weirdos...). I'm fine with all the stuff I need for a few weeks, easy. We will still make our weekly trip to the grocery store for produce/veggies when needed.

Next few weeks should be interesting!

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:49 pm

Well, for starters, I lost a good portion of my retirement savings. I hope the markets will recover by the time I'll need the funds.
Right now I'm at STX, working on a project for one of our customers. Due to all travel restrictions I can't go home for my break as I couldn't come back. That means I won't see my family for extended time and I will have to reschedule several doctor's appointments. OTOH, the governor of USVI just announced some new restrictions. So if our customer's site gets shut down, I may be able to go home and "enjoy" the 2 weeks of home quarantine...
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 pm

We have a movement control order here in Malaysia which means no movement whatsoever unless to go and buy supplies. And even then only one person is allowed out, with enforced roadblocks issuing summons for those who have more than one occupant in their vehicles. So I've been working from home for the past few days, although it's been more me doing some spring cleaning of my work & home computers than actual work.

Had a bit of a scare because my brother in law was down with fever, and apparently one of his co-workers was actually infected with Covid-19. Thankfully the results came back negative but he would still have to isolate himself just in case.

I just hope this ends soon enough.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

777222LR

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 pm

I am in real estate in Oklahoma City. It has SLOWED things down quite a bit. We are working on new ways to reach clients. Like FB live open houses, video tours, facetime appointments with clients. All that can be done. What cannot be done is the lost confidence of buyers. Regardless of mortgage rates being low, thought actually they are bouncing all over the place like crazy this past week, the jitters about the market and jobs is putting a slowdown on the real estate market here, and I assume nation wide as well. We are not on lockdown in OKC. Things are pretty normal, and I think we are going to be in a world of hurt here soon if we don't start taking this seriously, in my opinion. I'm reading that Dallas just got told to shelter in place. Maybe we will follow suit soon, but we have a business-minded/hands off governor. Our mayor is outstanding, so I assume he will be the voice of reason.

rfields5421

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 am

Governor Abbott of Texas today said a shelter in place or lockdown was not appropriate for the state at this time. It might be appropriate for some high population places with many instances of COVID-19. He didn't name any but Dallas, Houston, San Antonio/Austin areas each have a most of the confirmed cases here in Texas. Local authorities have full power to implement stricter measures.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins (D) later today issued a "Shelter in Place" order for Dallas County from 11:59 pm 3/23 to 11:59pm 4/3.
On Saturday he issued an emergency order to close all nail salons, hair salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors and similar facilities.

(Not the County Judge is NOT a judge in the legal sense. It is the title for the administrative head of the county commissioners court. More like a mayor and city council, but for an entire county.)

Haven't seen anything from City of Dallas Mayor. City of Dallas does extend into neighboring Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Rockwall counties.

Cities entirely within Dallas county include Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, Farmers Branch, Hutchins, Irving, Lancaster, University Park and Wilmer. Also the towns of Addison, Highland Park and Sunnyvale.

Some 17 cities other than Dallas also have parts of the city within Dallas County.

I'm sure there is a lot of bickering among the various city councils and the county.

The Dallas County Commissioners Court runs the Dallas County Hospital District, which operates Parkland Hospital and almost two dozen community health centers. Dallas County is also running the two 'drive thru' COVID-19 testing centers. There are 131 cases reported in Dallas County and over 200 in the immediate North Texas area.

We have two of our regular semi-annual Dr. appts in Dallas County on Tuesday and Wednesday. Will be calling both offices tomorrow to see how the shelter in place impacts them.

We are currently in a membership RV park about 50 miles east of Dallas. We live full-time in an RV. Up until Mar 9 we were in the Hill Country just west of San Antonio. From Mar 10 - 17, we were about 20 miles north of Harris County / Houston. Came here for Dr. appts and some RV rallies.

Those events are cancelled and all of the common use areas of the campground except bath houses and the laundry are closed. Been raining a lot, so no people moving around much. Staff cleans bath houses 4 times a day, and laundry twice. Most RV's have toilet and shower facilities like ours, and we have a sewer connection at the camp site.

Going through the DVD collection and watching satellite TV when the weather allows.
Not all who wander are lost.

TWA772LR

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 am

US here.

I work for a major airline so I'm a little stressed out despite having total job security since I work in the flight training department, I'm worried about my coworkers being furloughed (my mother included), me possibly taking a pay cut, and just general uncertainty.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:36 am

I'm training right now, in the final weeks of an internship with workers who are essential (pathology lab techs)...and I have been wearing a face mask to and from the hospital. The mass transit system has to run, because that's how many travel to work who are essential employees. Never in my life could I imagine large parts of NYC being a ghost town, but...it is the case now.

WarRI1

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:01 am

Because I am retired, it has been minimal so far here in R.I. That is going to change if the misconduct of people continues. The Governor said today that it has to stop or she will order a shutdown. Just yesterday my wife and I went out for a ride. We went to a very popular walking area in Providence, tons of people out walking, I did not see a problem as they were not congregating in groups. As I was returning to my neighborhood I purposely went by a very large gun shop where I myself have frequented on occasion. I was flabbergasted at the lines and the parking problems. There were people lined up from the front doors and across the parking lot. No spacing was being observed because of the crowd. I saw in the paper and on TV the business being conducted there and the controlled entrance of people, it was certainly not working in the lot for sure. I then had occasion later to drop off something at my son's house, on the way I went by a large Ice Cream stand, one of my wife's favorites in the Summer, again I was stunned to see the unruly lines and a big crowd in front of the stand, nobody was observing Social Distance again. I can now see where the Governor is coming from, she has ordered the State Police to start watching these areas and asked the local police to do the same. It was ridiculous.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

BN747

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:00 am

Harvey Weinstein contracts coronavirus in Rikers Island prison: report
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/harvey ... on-report/

How???

Is it rampant in Rikers? No one else came up with it? Just the new guy?

Who is buying this? At least he got a LA Court delay due to the Corona...so it's a win-win.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

rfields5421

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:25 am

BN747 wrote:
Harvey Weinstein contracts coronavirus in Rikers Island prison: report
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/harvey ... on-report/

How???

Is it rampant in Rikers? No one else came up with it? Just the new guy?

Who is buying this? At least he got a LA Court delay due to the Corona...so it's a win-win.

BN747

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/21-inmates-17-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-rikers-island-officials/2338242

For those that don't click on the link Rikers Island has 21 inmates and 17 employees already tested positive. That is likely a small portion of the total number.

NYC is among the top places in the world where it is spreading, and once it jumps into a prison or jail, it spreads rapidly.

The flu in a prison or jail is a major medical emergency.

In general jails and prisons weaken almost anyone's immune system. Think of a high school. A crowded high school. Maybe a tenth of a percent of a jail population is kept in isolation.

COVID-19 getting into prisons has been among the top two or three worst scenarios in the US.

JJJ

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 am

Spain here. Had to rush back from Egypt once border closures started to look plausible.

Staff other than manufacturing, warehouse, etc. are all working from home and this is the second week of forced quarantine. So basically spend time with wife/kids, part-time home teaching and family workouts, lots of MS Teams conferences and the occasional shopping raid.

It's cool how many groups have reconnected to check everyone's ok. Primary school, Secondary, Uni, past jobs. There seems to be a whatsapp group for everything and everyone has been catching up with so many people at once.

There's half a dozen dinners lined up already for summer.

bhill

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Not alot of changes as I work from home 100%. Really nice that Fred Meyers has ramped up grocery deliveries. Ordering groceries fro my mom who is 82...she does not have a computer.
Carpe Pices

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm

The impact is mostly at work. Everyone can work from home, but I am among the (un)lucky few that has to come in to the office because what I do can't be done from home.

I still go out for grocery shopping and a coffee or two. But with everything closing down, I'm learning to hunker down. Have enough food to get me by a week (no changes in shopping habits in that regard).

If anything, I miss the social contact. Not being able to meet up with friends is a big drain of energy. I'm usually anti-social, but I like seeing a close circle of friends (like at a Crossfit gym or a bar) to give me that dose of social activity.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

tommy1808

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:45 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
If anything, I miss the social contact. Not being able to meet up with friends is a big drain of energy. I'm usually anti-social, but I like seeing a close circle of friends (like at a Crossfit gym or a bar) to give me that dose of social activity.

Sharing an evening and a couple glasses of wine via videoconferencing is just awkward for the first couple of minutes.... it works quite nice.

Other than that, so far the biggest effect is one day weekends for the time being.... not that I have much else to do.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

sbworcs

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm

UK

Started working from home today as can do. Live with parents over 70 so have to be a little more careful

Only going on when absoltely necessary (needed at work tomorrow evening)/

Shopping not too bad as could take advantage of the NHS Hour at local supermarket on Sunday. We are OK for TP as always buy in bulk of Groupon and had delivery that we still have enough left of.

Miss seeing the rest of my family as we are close and used to see each other every day. Hopefully if every does as they are told we can beat this and get back to some sense of normal
The best way forwards is upwards!

MareBorealis

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:16 pm

Happened in Helsinki: Last weekend I got some alarming flu symptoms, breathing problems and such, got a bit worried. It's not easy to get a corona test in Helsinki, but because of my work I needed one and I was showed green light. I was told to stay home, the instructions would follow. A special ambulance arrived, the ambulance driver first left a protection kit behind my door, I put them on and jumped in to the vehicle where I was isolated. We drow to a drive-in test point where a nurse stepped in and did the test (a flexible stick deep in your nose, quite uncomfortable), then I was taken back home. Very effective.

I got the result after two days, no corona infection. For me It will be hard to avoid to virus though, I need to go work where I am in close contact with people and I have to use the public transport (metro).

rfields5421

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 pm

We drove into Dallas to see our doctor for our semi-annual appts today.

I moved to Dallas in the fall of 1986, and I have never seen traffic that light in all that time. We never slowed to the speed limit on I-30, I-635, North Central Expressway or the George Bush Expressway. I don't know if they are all on public transit, but the few DART trains we saw looked to have very few standing riders.

At Dr office which is a stand-alone building, we checked in at a window and waited in our vehicle until we got a text that a room was open for us. No one in the waiting room. Minimal staff. Dr. is a hard core right wing Republican, loves Donald Trump.

And told us plainly that we are too high risk to expose ourselves to any possible threat. He had a few choice words about TX Lt Gov Dan Patrick's comments yesterday that older people needed to quit staying indoors and away from public places. To go to restaurants and stores. It was the duty of people our age to keep the economy running.

Stopped by my daughter's home on the way back and dropped off something we had picked up for her in Mexico a couple months back. We forgot to bring it Saturday for #2 grandson's small birthday celebration. (She started work for home yesterday. #2 grandson has been home for two weeks, and finally got a Chromebook from the school district today to start school from home.)

About an hour ago, she let us know that one of the people on her floor at work last week has tested positive for COVID-19. She is ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days, her two younger children that live with her also. I guess that means her husband must stop working also.

We need to be watchful also. Not a quarantine order for us yet. Fingers crossed.

Jouhou

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 am

(Northeastern US)

I've been deemed essential, they let high risk groups stay home (paid) but as of yet none of my health conditions are considered high risk. I currently have taken a couple of days of leave to deal with my non-virus related health condition and rest.

So my job is secure, but my job doesn't allow for proper social distancing nor have they procured effective disinfectants or hand sanitizer, so we're extremely vulnerable to virus spread.
情報

DIRECTFLT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 am

I'm retired, so no affect.

My friends and extended family are all working, at home or in essential jobs, or retired.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DL717

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

My friends and extended family are all working, at home or in essential jobs, or retired.

Ditto.

We’ve spent a bunch of time watching movies. Probably too much time. Turned off the news. Maybe catch the Sunday Morning shows.

Weather hasn’t been as favorable the last few days to go outside, but today is nice. Supposed to rain over the weekend and it’s supposed to be nice again starting Monday. Pulling steaks out tonight and putting them on the grill and having a nice evening. I figured, why not?
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

BN747

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 am

Has Parking Enforcement stood down everywhere? They're gone here.

BN747

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:50 am

DL717 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Ditto.

We’ve spent a bunch of time watching movies. Probably too much time. Turned off the news. Maybe catch the Sunday Morning shows.

Much of the News reports, here and abroad, are just thinly disguised PSAs, over, and over, and over again. I think I got it about hand washing, and the other things they're touting. So I turn off the live News and read print updates.

I'm into music, so I've watched a lot music stuff on YouTube, and some documentaries about anything and everything.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

anrec80

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:25 am

On my end - in my favorite economic simulator game, Cities Skylines, I have grown my city to 500K residents, and ran out of my CPU capacity. To move forward, I now need to upgrade to Ryzen Threadripper 3970X to get more multi-threading capacity and be able to move forward in an enjoyable manner. And I can only hope to fit this into USD 3K.

cpd

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 pm

I’m still at work, but isolated with a few other key people. We are all keeping fairly well away from each other as much as possible. Office has now become very secure too and the work has become fairly important now too.

Working also at odd hours some days but otherwise trying to keep everything going as normal as possible.

gatibosgru

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm

I have been furloughed from Marriott CALA, so that's one way.
@DadCelo

Jalap

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 pm

2nd week of working from home was far better than the first.

Because I took up 2 days of leave and spread that time over the whole week. This allowed me to start later, have longer lunch break and I could actually help the kids when they came asking for help with their school work.

First week, working full time was horrible, mostly because of not being able to time box lunch and constantly having to send the kids away when they came to me for help. With my partner in the same position, that was NOT sustainable.

I'll keep taking up 2 days per week as long as this lasts. Luckily, we can save up off days through our career and I've saved up quite a bit.

Apart from that, every days is almost exactly the same as the previous one. Weekend will be a bit different, but really not much. Work for work will be replaced by doing work in the house.

Pi7472000

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 am

I still have a job, but it has affected my community and thus myself. We are headed for an economic Depression as small businesses are shuttered and people are dying of the virus due to lack of preparation from the federal government and the health care industry.

melpax

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:29 am

Working from home as of Monday. Though we have been told that we can be called back to the office if needed, and we may end up doing different work, or even being seconded to another government department if required. Most of the outlets in the downstairs food court closed on Friday, and most likely the others will be closed on Monday. Walking past the Fight Centre outlet has been very depressing, with the poor staff soon to lose their jobs. The specials board changed in the space of 2 weeks from the usual LA, London, Tokyo, etc flight & holiday specials to all the deals being offered were within Victoria only, with the deal furthest from Melbourne being in Lakes Entrance....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Braybuddy

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am

Putting the time at home to good use. Starting by painting the landing a lovely shade of Lufthansa blue :D

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Just South of London, UK here

Currently I'm the only person in the household who can go out shopping, as everyone else is considered high risk, or can't drive. The major change in doing the shopping has been watching middle class (Surrey) housewives completely losing their shit over things like red onions, quale eggs and pheasant breasts. I kid you not, the struggle is real. We're doing fine for food though as we buy 80% in bulk from cash and carry / caterers and had only just done a major order before the crisis kicked off, plus the shops are returning to normal anyway, but has been a real eye opener.

I work from home anyway, so that's not changed. I've lost a bunch of consulting work for now, but I've used the free capacity to double down on on the main online business I run, which has increased some 500% in the past two months, and (finally) launch a much planned side project making OO Scale Models. Admittedly that's mostly for fun as, one day, I'd love to get back into modelling.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rfields5421

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Had a scare over the weekend when youngest grandson developed fever, coughing and such, but doctor determined it is most likely a combination of some allergies he has and normal flu.

Because his fever was only 102.3, he falls below the threshold for COVID-19 testing in the Dallas area. Not that a negative COVID-19 test really means anything. Just because it might be negative today does not mean a person cannot catch it tomorrow.

Aesma

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:24 pm

My usual burger fix is disrupted. McDonald's, Burger King, all completely closed, not doing the drive thru only thing.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BN747

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Spotting disposable latex used gloves strewn all over the place like baby diapers used be...how hard is it to drop them into bins (located everywhere). I place my doggy do bags into the bins why can't 'safe morons' do the same with their janky gloves..

BN747

dfwjim1

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:35 pm

I was temporary furloughed last week so I have been doing Uber Eats to keep myself busy and earn a few bucks. My wife has been working from home for years so no change for her daily routine.

Fortunately we have money set aside for emergencies and our monthly expenses are low so we should okay.

Vio

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 am

For now I'm still working. Who knows what will happen if this lasts too long.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

seb146

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:01 pm

My hours have been cut, but I am still part of an essential business. Because I have time, I finally watched Madama Butterfly. And that will never happen again.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!