Aaron747

Re: "If I was Governor, I would handle the COVID-19 Pandemic like this..."

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
If true, then that only underscores that preparation and following experts' lead was key.

And in addition to that, in Russia they have a special department - Emergency Situations Department. Their responsibility include handling exactly that - situations that are out of normal, such as pandemics, massive fires, floods, earthquakes, etc. They are crewed with firefighters, emergency construction crews, evacuation and medical planes, field doctors, crowd control and other experts to provide leadership and guidance onsite. They have a network of warehouses that keep supplies of medicines, food, blankets, medical equipment, tents and stuff needed in urgent cases.

In the event there is a disaster or some disease outbreak, first emergency teams will be onsite very fast to determine further needs, and in a very short time period there will be evacuation plans, planes and buses ready, field hospitals, temporary housing - everything that is needed to save people’s lives and get them to safety. Such a department would be a good thing to have in the US and EU. Then you will be prepared to things like this Coronavirus, hurricanes, wildfires, and top country’s leadership will not be helpless.

The US has FEMA - the play a similar role obviously and have been called into action after large floods, Hurricane Sandy, Harvey, Katrina etc. Although oddly in this situation they have not been called into action until just six days ago :knockout:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm

scbriml wrote:
seb146 wrote:
But, yeah, let's praise the cult leader

Damned autocorrect! ;)

Democracies by there very nature most always take longer to come to a decision, a consensus, so their response to things like the current situation is slower than any dictatorship or autocratic government where one person can decide with no real input/interference from the public at large.

That is why most democracies try to put into place emergency teams to short circuit that process, that can step in with prior granted authority to make quick decisions up front, at least initially. After a month or so the citizenry will get to apply their input based on the effect and effectiveness of the emergency teams actions/decisions.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:56 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
8pm curfew for a start. Police will not need 24 hour shifts which provides extra resources during the day.

Only truck drivers with deliveries to supermarkets are allowed at night.

Lol then criminals Or looters will strike at night.

Many types of people are essential. Plumbers. Doctors. Gas station attendants. Food packaging workers. Electricity plant workers and trades people. Doctors, nurses. Child care workers for those people. Home care attendants for the elderly.

A lot of people are essential and a lot will be homeless and quite upset in the near future. People need to think if they are prepared to destroy their community forever in order to probably unsuccessfully fight the virus. Italy is out of containment and they will be through this tragic event soon. They will recover first.

stratosphere

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Act as though nothing is wrong because he knows everything and we know nothing. Well played! That works out so well!

No actually he closed the border when this started. Something you would have called racist.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/europe/p ... index.html

Actually, he called it a hoax and blamed Democrats for the hoax for weeks. Not only that, but he fired the pandemic team set up under Obama

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... liminated/
https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a

Yeah Seb you know what medical professionals are screaming for right now besides ventilators? N95 masks guess who's administration used a bunch of them and never replenished them? Your hero Obama that's who. I have no problem nailing Trump for all the shortcomings I really do and our do nothing congress both parties. But there is plenty of blame to go around on this one.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/o ... rs.263178/

Tugger

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:40 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Yeah Seb you know what medical professionals are screaming for right now besides ventilators? N95 masks guess who's administration used a bunch of them and never replenished them? Your hero Obama that's who. I have no problem nailing Trump for all the shortcomings I really do and our do nothing congress both parties. But there is plenty of blame to go around on this one.

The article does not actually say that.
It does not show any kind of proof of President Obama playing down the need for the masks or that he nixed anything. In fact there is nothing shown for why the stocks were not replenished.

Perhaps some digging is in order to actually understand. :scratchchin:

Who knows, maybe the civil systems needed to be replenished first? Maybe production did get back to needed levels? Maybe there was a buy American requirement attached to any repurchase that was done and US capacity didn't ramp quickly? Perhaps the plan was to replenish in 2016....

Some kind of actual sourcing with information would be helpful instead of trying to paint everything black so one black horse is less visible.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:27 pm

We are veering off topic again...

anrec80

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 am

Another amazing job in handling the virus is done in Belarus by their Father.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... nitsy.html

The first case of coronavirus in Belarus was recorded in a BNTU student from Iran . Immediately the young man and all his first level contacts were hospitalized.

Basically, as soon as the first diagnosis was confirmed, the doctors, local KGB and police within hours identified a few hundred people the student has been in contact with, and forced them all into quarantine. And now the Father in his usual manner is trolling everyone: “Our situation isn’t critical at all. We aren’t taking any extreme measures and do not understand why they turned the whole world into a madhouse”.

And as of today:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... marta.html
81 cases of coronavirus were recorded in Belarus. 59 in the hospital, 22 have already been discharged.

About 1100 people who were first-level contacts for patients are isolated. 8800 people are contacts of the second level.

seb146

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

No actually he closed the border when this started. Something you would have called racist.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/europe/p ... index.html

Actually, he called it a hoax and blamed Democrats for the hoax for weeks. Not only that, but he fired the pandemic team set up under Obama

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... liminated/
https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a

Stop. Just stop. "Both sides do it" just makes you look desperate. It was the head of the Republican administration that disbanded the pandemic response team. It was the head of the Republican administration that got rid of national assistance agencies for dealing with what we have now because Obama must be erased from history.

This is not "both sides do it". One side did this.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bgm

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm

"If I was Governor, I would NOT handle the COVID-19 Pandemic like this..."

Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick is facing a backlash after saying he'd be willing to die to restart the American economy amid the coronavirus pandemic — and he thinks other grandparents would, as well. Patrick said on Fox News Monday night that he's spoken to "hundreds of people" who felt similarly — "that we can't lose our country."

"No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival, in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?"' Patrick remarked. "And if that's the exchange, I'm all in."

In an interview with Tucker Carlson, Patrick claimed other grandparents like him would be willing to make the same sacrifice.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... e-economy/

:tombstone:

With people like this in charge, THIS is why the US will be completely f**ked.
Less praying, more hand washing.

AirWorthy99

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm

bgm wrote:

Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick is facing a backlash after saying he'd be willing to die to restart the American economy amid the coronavirus pandemic — and he thinks other grandparents would, as well. Patrick said on Fox News Monday night that he's spoken to "hundreds of people" who felt similarly — "that we can't lose our country."

"No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival, in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?"' Patrick remarked. "And if that's the exchange, I'm all in."

In an interview with Tucker Carlson, Patrick claimed other grandparents like him would be willing to make the same sacrifice.

Because maybe, just maybe he does care about his future generation. How about that for a boomer? the type you constantly mock and vilify in these forums, which now you seem to suggest to worry about being f**ed. BTW, what country are you from what measures have your country done? you haven't ever answered this.
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:37 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Because maybe, just maybe he does care about his future generation. How about that for a boomer? the type you constantly mock and vilify in these forums, which now you seem to suggest to worry about being f**ed. BTW, what country are you from what measures have your country done? you haven't ever answered this.

As I posted in response to another forumer who seemed to be wishing boomers dead - it should be possible, with a little nuance, to be upset at boomers for the state of the world WITHOUT wishing them dead. We all have boomer relatives dear to us.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 pm

If I were governor of a quarantine state like NY, CA, OR, WA, I would quarantine anyone coming from a non-quarantine state for three weeks. I think I said this before. Actions have consequences. If people want to defy health officials, they have a price to pay.

seb146

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
bgm wrote:

So you are okay with millions dying? People who are on chemo or diabetic or just old? Wipe out millions and you are fine with that, AirWorthy? okay.....

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 am

seb146 wrote:
If I were governor of a quarantine state like NY, CA, OR, WA, I would quarantine anyone coming from a non-quarantine state for three weeks. I think I said this before. Actions have consequences. If people want to defy health officials, they have a price to pay.

Good to know you wouldn't be petty...

scbriml

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Wanting to protect the citizens of your state is “petty”? Entire countries are imposing similar restrictions on visitors.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

StuckinCMHland

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm

One that immediately comes to mind is to look at how to entice business and industry to your state and get them out of China.

There will be a market for this in the coming months, since what business in their right mind wants to stay in a dictatorship that is such a hot mess as it obviously is.

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 pm

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Wanting to protect the citizens of your state is “petty”? Entire countries are imposing similar restrictions on visitors.

I took issue with the "defy" remark. It sounds like it would be personal rather than practical. If they test negaythen there's no reason to quarantine them for nearly a month.

seb146

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:20 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I took issue with the "defy" remark. It sounds like it would be personal rather than practical. If they test negaythen there's no reason to quarantine them for nearly a month.

There is also no reason to go for Spring Break or Mardi Gras or any gatherings in these states where governors have decided COVID-19 is a hoax or we need to just let old people die for the sake of the economy or it is just like the flu or whatever excuse. If people defy the guidelines of experts and test kits seem to be limited to government officials and the wealthy, why not quarantine others?

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:48 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
If they test negaythen there's no reason to quarantine them for nearly a month.

This is why we have experts calling the shots and why we need to elect people who are willing to listen and defer to experts.

The fact that someone tests negative doesn't mean they don't pose a threat to others. Ever heard of the term "carrier"? With this disease, there have been cases of asymptomatic carriers testing negative. Those very people can spread the virus to other people. THAT is why you quarantine them.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."