Tugger
Topic Author

Private vs public transportation in a time of required isolation.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 am

So how do people that rely on public transportation manage during this extreme moment? And going into the future does something like this need to be planned into expanding public transportation desires?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Private vs public transportation in a time of required isolation.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 am

This has put paid to loads of “new economy” ideas. One of them is mass transit, it’s a great way to spread a virus. As is densification of housing.

rfields5421

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 am

Okay, I spent 25 years working in a masterpiece of suburban sprawl - Dallas, TX

I've had daily commutes that varied from 3 miles to 65 miles one way. Only when I worked in downtown Dallas during the week day was 'mass transit' an option - a city bus route. First time I took it was a day when the roads were iced, then I took DART more frequently so I could read the paper, or a book rather than driver. The cost of parking in downtown was slightly lower than a monthly bus pass.

Dallas county is now under a 'shelter in place' order. DART, which now includes light rail for the most congested routes, is still operating their normal bus and light rail schedules. Many poor and retirees use DART to access grocery stores and other services. I've seen stories that the loads are very light as more and more people are not commuting to work. DART emphasized that they clean their bus and train passenger area at the end of each route, several times a day for most vehicles.

I do not drive into Dallas during commuting hours if avoidable. I have a Dr appt on Tuesday morning. If that happens, I will let you know if the traffic is higher than normal, indicating a decrease in people riding the trains/ bus. Appt might be cancelled due to over the weekend order to cancel 'elective' medical care. It is just a routine semi-annual checkup.
Not all who wander are lost.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 am

Tugger wrote:
So how do people that rely on public transportation manage during this extreme moment? And going into the future does something like this need to be planned into expanding public transportation desires?

Tugg

According to friends and video I’ve seen from Japan - they are coping. People wear masks on the subway, and all of the subway lines have placed complimentary sanitizer alcohol sprays at the exits for people to use.

Osaka was experimenting with running 24-hour service on the busiest line to generate more tourist revenue but now that they’re gone, they have abandoned those plans and are using the overnight downtime to clean cars more thoroughly.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

noviorbis77

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:51 pm

I have been driving into London rather than use the train.

PPVRA

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:52 pm

For places like NYC, mass transit is not an option. They have to have it and just have to cope in times like these.

I'd like to see it go back to being privately owned and operated, but that's a different thread altogether.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PPVRA

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

How's traffic? I'd imagine not too bad with all the work from home going on.

I don't drive all the way into downtown where I live, and at least here, traffic is much much better than usual.

noviorbis77

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm

PPVRA wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

How's traffic? I'd imagine not too bad with all the work from home going on.

I don't drive all the way into downtown where I live, and at least here, traffic is much much better than usual.

It isn’t too bad TBH.

bmartino99

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

According to friends and video I’ve seen from Japan - they are coping. People wear masks on the subway, and all of the subway lines have placed complimentary sanitizer alcohol sprays at the exits for people to use.

Osaka was experimenting with running 24-hour service on the busiest line to generate more tourist revenue but now that they’re gone, they have abandoned those plans and are using the overnight downtime to clean cars more thoroughly.

If they are keeping the trains running, what's the difference between taking a flight?

rfields5421

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 pm

No options to distance from someone with a cough, and a recycled basically closed ventilation system on planes.
Not all who wander are lost.

PPVRA

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
No options to distance from someone with a cough, and a recycled basically closed ventilation system on planes.

Planes only partially recycle air. It’s 50-50 fresh/recycled.

stl07

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 am

PPVRA wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

True, forgot about that. Still not flying anytime soon though.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Insertnamehere

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:21 am

NYC Resident here.
-Ferry services on the east river are reduced
-Subways have reduced services but still running (the C train was temporarily stopped after an MTA employee tested positive)

Aaron747

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 am

bmartino99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

If they are keeping the trains running, what's the difference between taking a flight?

Planes are only cleaned thoroughly when they are at home base for a long RON or something. Trains can be deep cleaned nightly during downtime. The 15-20 minute sweep most planes get at the gate can barely be called cleaning.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
PPVRA wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

First, the outside air comes off mid-stage bleed, say 200c-350c temps, pretty sterile. The recirculated air goes thru a HEPA filter before blended with incoming air. Next, the air is zoned to about 7-8 rows, so you’re not getting the air from 20 rows back or forward. You might get a virus from your seat mate, but not from the cabin air.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Seattle metropolitan area is seeing greatly reduced loads. Generally only a handful on board(route I use occasionally). Route frequency is being reduced. Front door is used only for boarding disabled (protect driver), fares have been cancelled for the duration as we board via back doors. Intention is to maintain essential services. Governor has tightened rules on public gatherings. (a poster disagreed with my comment that people were maintaining social distance, I trust the Darwin Award competitors will get the word - or get arrested)
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

stl07

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
stl07 wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

First, the outside air comes off mid-stage bleed, say 200c-350c temps, pretty sterile. The recirculated air goes thru a HEPA filter before blended with incoming air. Next, the air is zoned to about 7-8 rows, so you’re not getting the air from 20 rows back or forward. You might get a virus from your seat mate, but not from the cabin air.

That's good to hear. That's a lot less risk than I previously assumed.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.