flynewyork
Topic Author

Regionals Need Help!

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:56 am

A.net community, we need your help!

Right now, the leaders of Congress – Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer – are negotiating a stimulus package to buffer the economy from the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak. Just a few moments ago, we learned that those negotiations may leave our industry – and with it our jobs and our Company – unprotected.

To keep our workforce intact and to ensure that our airline can be restored to full service at the end of this global crisis, it is vital that the stimulus package include unsecured loans to the regional airline industry and that those loans include a forgiveness clause for payroll. As of right now, those provisions are NOT IN THE STIMULUS.

If you are able, please contact the offices of your elected officials:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
https://www.speaker.gov/contact

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy
https://kevinmccarthy.house.gov/contact/email-me/email-me-zip-authenticated

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
https://www.mcconnell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ContactForm

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer
https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck

Let them know you support the regional airline industry and its employees in this difficult time. Here’s a starting point:

Dear Sir/Madam:

The regional airline industry is the lifeblood of many American communities. More than 60% percent of all airports in America are served only by regional carriers. Absent this essential service, the economic impacts on those communities will be greater and the effects last far longer.

For this reason – and to help protect the economic stability of 70,000 regional airline employees and their families – I am urging you to please include unsecured loans to the regional carriers in the stimulus package and a forgiveness clause for payroll costs.

Thank you!

You can also post these messages to the elected officials’ Facebook pages. And, if you’re willing, ask your friends and families to join you in this important issue.

By Twitter:

America’s 70,000 regional airline employees need help NOW: please join me in asking @speakerpelosi @gopleader @senatemajldr @senschumer @stevemnuchin1 to include unsecured, forgivable loans for payroll costs. Help us stay on the payroll and off unemployment!

---
Thank you a.net community.

stl07

Re: Regionals Need Help!

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:27 am

That's what I've been worried about. I know AA and WN will make it through this. Air choice one and Cape air - who knows
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Dutchy

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 am

May sound harsh, but many industries need help, regional airlines are nothing special. So the package should include all industries hit, to name a few: restaurants, bars, hotels, cinema, amusement parks, transport sector, all kind stores, etc, etc, etc, etc.

So a general call for all these sectors is more appropriate than take one sector in particular.

Anyhow, I am not an American, so just my two cents...
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 am

Dutchy wrote:
May sound harsh, but many industries need help, regional airlines are nothing special.

I actually work in this industry and have a lot of friends who do as well.

But I have to agree. It is becoming really, really, -and this cannot be stressed enough- really tiresome to hear about how 'special' and 'vital' airlines are. They simply cannot exist without an entire service industry that has nowhere near the luxurious levels of protection airlines are offered at this moment. Until Hotels, Restaurants, and destination based services are taken care of, Airlines need to sit back down.

And if some die off, so be it. The industry was bloated to begin with and as this carries on and companies realize fully just how discretionary the vast majority of 'business' travel really was, I think we will see a healthy rationalization of airlines at large. And until we see what that looks like, it is wasteful, to say the least, to prop up something we probably do not need.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."