NYCVIE
Topic Author

2020 Tokyo Olympics Postponed

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm

I thought this deserved its own thread as it's a massive international event - The 2020 Olympics in Tokyo have officially been postponed according to longtime IOC official Dick Pound.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more ... story.html

If you recall, this is the same official who said in the earlier days of the pandemic that Japan had until May to get things together before cancellation of the Games. No doubt, since the situation has deteriorated significantly across the globe it's no longer possible to hold the event. A few days ago Australia and Canada both announced they would not send athletes to the Games if they were held in 2020, calling for a postponement to 2021.

This is definitely going to be a massive financial hit for Japan and all parties involved with the planning of the Olympics.

einsteinboricua

Re: 2020 Tokyo Olympics Postponed

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 pm

This was overdue. What I find interesting is that US athletes requested that the US OC also call for a postponement and the CEO of the committee said no. Of course, had the Olympics proceeded, athletes could stage a rebellion and refuse to go.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

tu204

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 pm

Since we are talking about postponing (most likely until next year) the games, what will be the actual financial impact (loss)?

Myself I see it as quite minimal. Sponsors, tickets and broadcasting income that would have been here in 2020 will just be "postponed" until 2021.

Any thoughts?
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

scbriml

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
This was overdue. What I find interesting is that US athletes requested that the US OC also call for a postponement and the CEO of the committee said no. Of course, had the Olympics proceeded, athletes could stage a rebellion and refuse to go.

It was frankly disgusting that the IOC was so obdurate in not cancelling the games before today. Even yesterday they said they'd make a decision in four weeks' time. It will be a huge financial hit for Japan and the IOC and that's the clue.

Hopefully, the games can be held in Tokyo in 2021 with full attendance and no Covid-19 concerns.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dieuwer

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Finally, Japen exposed as COVID-19 liars.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:11 am

IOC member says 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be postponed because of coronavirus pandemic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 899848001/

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports on Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”

I hope that the games will still be played in Japan.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aaron747

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:16 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
IOC member says 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be postponed because of coronavirus pandemic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 899848001/

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports on Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”

I hope that the games will still be played in Japan.

Why? Most Japanese don’t care - it’s Tokyo’s show, but greater Tokyo is only 30% of the population. A lot if my friends in Osaka/Kobe never wanted it held to begin with - at least not until Fukushima refugees have all been relocated and fully compensated.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:22 am

Well all the money is already spent, so if they're held somewhere else, it's a pure loss for Japan.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:25 am

Aesma wrote:
Well all the money is already spent, so if they're held somewhere else, it's a pure loss for Japan.

The money was mostly pocketed by interests close to the PM - hardly any trickle down, so it’s a loss for most citizens anyway.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ltbewr

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:29 am

The growing number of national Olympic teams saying they won't go, was likely the key factor in the IOC's decision. I think some Japanese politicians that continued to keep their heads in the sand about reality of this pandemic to conduct the Olympics this year need to do the honorable thing and resign from their posts and...well you know....

par13del

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:29 am

NYCVIE wrote:
This is definitely going to be a massive financial hit for Japan and all parties involved with the planning of the Olympics.

The loss pales when compared to what Japan and the entire world is suffering and going to suffer in the next few months and will last for a year or more.
Japan may have a built in stimulus for 2021, it may help them to recover faster providing the nations are clear enough to travel.

ArchGuy1

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 am

The Summer Olympics have been held in September and October in the past, so it is possible that might happen this year.

Derico

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:52 am

Why would the games be held somewhere else? I don't find Europe or the USA any safer than Japan in regards to health. And at least in Japan there is less crime.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

rfields5421

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 am

Okay, one IOC member from Canada has said the Olympics will "likely" be postponed.

The IOC said later today that the decision has not been made yet.

Letters have been sent to consider a one year postponement.

So nothing official yet.

But I would not bet a single dime they will be held this year.

Almost certainly to be held but in Tokyo next summer.

The truth has become that many cities and nations don't want the Olympics. While local merchants, hotels and airlines, etc. might have a big one time money maker, most Olympic committees and governments end up with little positive, and many negative costs.

It is a great showcase for a nation or city wanting to make a name in the world, and a great opportunity to be shown as incompetent and careless.

Also, the growing trend for the Olympics to attract all kinds of political activism and protest. I would not want that in my city.
Not all who wander are lost.

NYCVIE
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Now according to Wall Street Journal, Japanese PM Abe and IOC have agreed on a one year delay of the Olympics.

scbriml

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 pm

BBC reporting that Japan has "asked" for a postponement.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ChrisKen

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:14 pm

If only there was a broadcaster that actually covered Abe's "press conference" live many hours ago. oh wait NHK World.

They talked, they agreed it must be postponed and not cancelled. Abe has asked for a one year postponement on behalf of the Japanese government, although the decision itself is the remit of the IOC and Japan Organising Committee.

There are many differing (and costly) legal ramifications depending on which of the two bodies calls a halt first and indeed many more once it has been halted. The IOC & JOC will be thrashing it out between themselves first and then the others involved in the delivery of the games.

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:23 pm

I kinda get (and disagree) with why they would want to hold it on time, but wasn't it completely obvious teams were gonna start canceling?

I'm not a betting man but if I was, "teams refusing to go forcing a delay to the Olympics" would be a very easy $20 bet to win