Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TTailedTiger

Re: Coronavirus Non Aviation Thread - April 2020

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:33 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I don't want a society where masks become normal. I find it very unsettling. If your immune system is that compromised then you shouldn't be put. My grandmother is in her 80's and can probably out run most in their 30's. She would laugh for an hour if you told her she had to start wearing a mask.

Aren't they already normal in PRC?

Why are nuts banned in every school? Why should kids without allergies are forced not to bring/eat anything nuts? We are living in that world.

It is impossible to depend on self-immunity, particularly in the west.

Face coverings AKA masks may not filter every 0.3 micron particle, but they will reduce the dosage, so hope is self-immunity may fight off low dose.

Try to run a Vaccum Cleaner without filter/filter bag, see how long it lasts. Face covering serves the same purpose for the dual vaccum called nose.

Yeah and most Americans do not want to mimick China. Are you suggesting we never eat inside restaurants again? How can we eat and talk with masks on?

Jalap

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:45 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Yeah and most Americans do not want to mimick China. Are you suggesting we never eat inside restaurants again? How can we eat and talk with masks on?

Since eating and talking are no reasonable issue, I take it that your main argument for not wearing masks is that the people in China do this?
I'm not convinced about the quality of that argument either.

The goal is: resume normal life as soon as possible while letting as few as possible people die from this virus.
If masks help, then we'll just need to do this.
I detest the idea of needing to wear a mask too. I really hate the idea. But if that is what it takes to visit my parents again, then I'll wear it. This is no time for pointless pride or vanity.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:52 pm

Jalap wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Since eating and talking are no reasonable issue, I take it that your main argument for not wearing masks is that the people in China do this?

The goal is: resume normal life as soon as possible while letting as few as possible people die from this virus.
I detest the idea of needing to wear a mask too. I really hate the idea. But if that is what it takes to visit my parents again, then I'll wear it. This is no time for pointless pride or vanity.

I can visit my parents because my governor is a reasonable person. No one would tell my parents that they couldn't see their children.

Jalap

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I can visit my parents because my governor is a reasonable person. No one would tell my parents that they couldn't see their children.

So, people will lose parents/grandparents because of this reasonable governor. That's a fact.
I take it that it's the people's own responsability to risk exposing the elderly loved ones to this virus?

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:42 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What we’ve learned,

Top Ten Surprising Consequences of Covid-19 Hysteria:

1: Democrat governors rediscover federalism.
2: Wanna-be totalitarians can’t help but unmask themselves.
3: Trump gets a daily platform to smack the media around (watched by millions).
4: The CDC is exposed as just another dysfunctional gov. agency.
5: FDA, same as above.
6: WHO, same as FDA, CDC.
7: The US media is in China’s pocket.
8: “Models” completely useless except to frighten citizens.
9: We now know Nancy Pelosi has a $24,000.00 fridge and buys $12 pints (!) of ice cream.

And the 10th most surprising consequence of the Covid-19 hysteria? Donald Trump was right about China the whole time, and everybody who didn’t know it before knows it now.

you are totally delusional. what crap do you listen to be so misinformed? Trump's daily briefings? where he blames everybody but himself.

there are 2 million people who have tested positive for the coronavirus, the U.S. is close to a million people, testing positive way higher than any country in the world proportional wise.
Trump praised China twelve times, In January, In February, on how they handled it. He was warned by his advisors that he should Trust but verify, but he didn't verify he took China word over his own intelligence agency which told them to take the virus seriously.

It sad that everyone has to suffer from this disease because people like you blindly support Trump.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:48 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

You will be able to eat and talk at restaurants, your waiter will be wearing a mask, and dine-in groups will be separated by 6+ feet or whatever physical distance need to be maintained.

I am guessing clear plastic or acrylic will be a common place in offices and even on planes.

Would you rather have a flight with mandatory masks, more bulkheads or plastic/acrylic sheets and may be more lavs or no flight at all.
All posts are just opinions.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Jalap wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You are one of the few posters on this board whose general seems obvious to what's happening.
Good luck visiting your parents after you left the gym, fresh with all those sweat droplets. Since you think gyms should be open.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:51 am

rfields5421 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Question? does anybody know where Dr. Deborah Birx gets her data from?

She gets the same data from the CDC and other state health departments and international sources as the other medical leaders in the country. Though she has specialized in HIV/AIDS, she has a much better background in understanding such data, the reliability factors behind such data, and the real world implications - than any of the political leadership of either party.

But - the interpretation of the raw data, the usage of models to make predictions is an 'art' not a true science. Two or more doctors/ experts can look at the same data, and have different interpretations/ views of the real world meaning of the data, and the future impact. Not that one is right and the other wrong, just one makes a better guess today, the other guess might be right in two days.

They are not evaluating a static situation, and they all know that they do NOT have real valid solid data as of today. Maybe not even accurate data as of two weeks ago.

As far as solutions, everyone seems focused on the number of tests available right now. Tests are important in discovering the true rate of spread, the real levels of infection, serious complications, or deaths. We have a lot of data as to the severely impacted groups, but this is not the FINAL word.

A lot of different factors go into making a workable plan to 'recover' from the virus impact upon the economy. Politicians are like the people they represent/ govern in many respects. They want a ONE MAGIC PILL solution. If we do X, everything will work out.

We all know the world doesn't run that way. But we, and our leaders, keep hoping for simple answers.

There are no simple answers.

Almost certainly some state is going to 'reopen', and the virus is going to spread massively with a great many sick, possibly dead. And almost certainly some states are going to open and the virus decreased in impact. There are no guarantees.

thank you for the detailed explanation.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:03 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You will be able to eat and talk at restaurants, your waiter will be wearing a mask, and dine-in groups will be separated by 6+ feet or whatever physical distance need to be maintained.

I am guessing clear plastic or acrylic will be a common place in offices and even on planes.

Would you rather have a flight with mandatory masks, more bulkheads or plastic/acrylic sheets and may be more lavs or no flight at all.

No. That is not not how life will be in the US. People still need to eat and drink on planes.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:05 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Jalap wrote:

You are one of the few posters on this board whose general seems obvious to what's happening.
Good luck visiting your parents after you left the gym, fresh with all those sweat droplets. Since you think gyms should be open.

Life has to go on at some point. It seems like some of you want this to be permanent. They don't even care about any timeline for reopening.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What we’ve learned,

9: We now know Nancy Pelosi has a $24,000.00 fridge and buys $12 pints (!) of ice cream.

And the 10th most surprising consequence of the Covid-19 hysteria? Donald Trump was right about China the whole time, and everybody who didn’t know it before knows it now.

you are totally delusional. what crap do you listen to be so misinformed? Trump's daily briefings? where he blames everybody but himself.

there are 2 million people who have tested positive for the coronavirus, the U.S. is close to a million people, testing positive way higher than any country in the world proportional wise.
Trump praised China twelve times, In January, In February, on how they handled it. He was warned by his advisors that he should Trust but verify, but he didn't verify he took China word over his own intelligence agency which told them to take the virus seriously.

It sad that everyone has to suffer from this disease because people like you blindly support Trump.

These people used to be intelligent. Being in the Trump cult means willfully abandoning reason, to say nothing of science.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:34 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

No. That is not not how life will be in the US. People still need to eat and drink on planes.

That’s a whinge, not a solution. What is your science-based solution? There are some solutions possible for the eating on a plane scenario if employing a bit of imagination.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

That’s a whinge, not a solution. What is your science-based solution? There are some solutions possible for the eating on a plane scenario if employing a bit of imagination.

Like what? Serve everyone a nutrition shake they can slurp through a straw under their mask? What about during a decompression? Seconds matter and you don't want to be messing around with getting a face mask off yourself, a child, or disabled person.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Like what? Serve everyone a nutrition shake they can slurp through a straw under their mask? What about during a decompression? Seconds matter and you don't want to be messing around with getting a face mask off yourself, a child, or disabled person.

That's what one gets once intubated.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

A buddy of mine is working on this issue in Japan right now. They are considering doing meal service in sequence to even and odd numbered rows, with the rows not eating continuing to wear masks so as not to contaminate diners ahead. That’s called applying science. The decompression question is not even serious - if everything were about risk during decompression, there would be no walking around and definitely no meal service.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

A buddy of mine is working on this issue in Japan right now. They are considering doing meal service to even and odd numbered rows, with the rows not eating continuing to wear masks so as not to contaminate diners ahead. That’s called applying science. The decompression question is not even serious - if everything were about risk during decompression, there would be no walking around and definitely no meal service.

So some passengers just don't get to eat?

And still you offer no opinions about end date to this madness. Do you want these measures to be permanent?

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:39 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

A buddy of mine is working on this issue in Japan right now. They are considering doing meal service to even and odd numbered rows, with the rows not eating continuing to wear masks so as not to contaminate diners ahead. That’s called applying science. The decompression question is not even serious - if everything were about risk during decompression, there would be no walking around and definitely no meal service.

So some passengers just don't get to eat?

And still you offer no opinions about end date to this madness. Do you want these measures to be permanent?

All passengers would get to eat - read it again and use imagination.

Nobody said anything about permanence, ever. End date depends on epidemiological criteria - ability to test and contact trace. Labs are working round the clock on antibody serology trials. Without a tracing protocol in place, it will be impossible to isolate cases and quarantine as needed after re-opening. Nearly every expert says same on that. Wall Street agrees with that assessment too. Nobody wants rolling bouts of chaos after reopening.

AA747123

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:51 am

Now it looks like grocery stores could be next to close amid corona. Just on line order and curbside pick up will be available.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/exp ... MYgADn7DOI

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:35 am

Some real quality selfish people in this footage from Colorado. What we’re mainly learning about a lot of these protesters is how low character they are. Telling nurses to ‘go to China’??

https://twitter.com/marczenn/status/125 ... 27457?s=21

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 am

I just read the Canada mass shooting thread. The conditions we are living in are really going to take a toll on those who are suffering mentally. People are no longer allowed to seek mental health counseling. The government has blood on their hands. People who can't eat, work, or meet family, friends, or a therapist will feel they have nothing to lose.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:00 am

AA747123 wrote:
Now it looks like grocery stores could be next to close amid corona. Just on line order and curbside pick up will be available.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/exp ... MYgADn7DOI

Why would they be doing this when we are almost past the peak?

Chemist

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I just read the Canada mass shooting thread. The conditions we are living in are really going to take a toll on those who are suffering mentally. People are no longer allowed to seek mental health counseling. The government has blood on their hands. People who can't eat, work, or meet family, friends, or a therapist will feel they have nothing to lose.

Somehow in spite of the lockdown we've had no school shootings for the first month in eighteen years. Regardless of the Canada incident, I propose that the rate of crazies shooting up things has gone way down.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:27 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

This is just plain untrue - ‘people are no longer allowed to seek’ is straight up nonsense. Thousands of counselors here in CA continue to be available for appointments via Skype or Zoom. Next?

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

This is just plain untrue - ‘people are no longer allowed to seek’ is straight up nonsense. Thousands of counselors here in CA continue to be available for appointments via Skype or Zoom. Next?

For the past six years I have taken a friend with schizophrenia to her appointments. For the longest time it was to the VA since she is retired from the army. It was never a good experience. But thankfully with Trump she is now able to get help outside of the VA. Anyway, she does not have internet and still uses a flip phone. So no, she can't just use Skype or Zoom.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:58 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

For the past six years I have taken a friend with schizophrenia to her appointments. For the longest time it was to the VA since she is retired from the army. It was never a good experience. But thankfully with Trump she is now able to get help outside of the VA. Anyway, she does not have internet and still uses a flip phone. So no, she can't just use Skype or Zoom.

That doesn’t confirm your claim at all - you’re just using a classic anecdotal logical fallacy. ‘People are no longer allowed to seek’ is doubly false - you were talking about one person rather than the general public and nobody has passed a law saying mental counseling cannot be sought.

seahawk

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:27 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
[
TTailedTiger wrote:
My grandmother is in her 80's and can probably out run most in their 30's. She would laugh for an hour if you told her she had to start wearing a mask.

Being able to outrun people 50 years younger than her does not make your grandma totally immune from getting infected and does not mean anything to her ability to spread the infection further by droplets. Laughing is fine, sometimes a deeper thought is also very helpful.

Well here's my thought. This sounds like social engineering. Have you ever read Harrison Bergeron? Making everyone wear masks is a big step to making everyone conform.

Support those protesting the measures and use your 1st and 2nd amendment rights. Protect freedom, fight the lock down! For a free America.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:39 am

seahawk wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
[

Being able to outrun people 50 years younger than her does not make your grandma totally immune from getting infected and does not mean anything to her ability to spread the infection further by droplets. Laughing is fine, sometimes a deeper thought is also very helpful.

Well here's my thought. This sounds like social engineering. Have you ever read Harrison Bergeron? Making everyone wear masks is a big step to making everyone conform.

Support those protesting the measures and use your 1st and 2nd amendment rights. Protect freedom, fight the lock down! For a free America.

Totally agree - so long as these protesters sign a waiver for any future COVID testing or treatment.

seahawk

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Totally agree - so long as these protesters sign a waiver for any future COVID testing or treatment.

You mean as long as they self quarantine for 4 weeks after the event.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

So long as you apply that principle equally. No Narcan for drug users.

Eyad89

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:55 am

It is very difficult to read this thread and not face palm.

L410Turbolet

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:45 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
We will refuse to look like China. They've worn masks in public for decades and it didn't stop this virus from making them I'll.

Would a more relevant example of Taiwan or South Korea make you less triggered? Facemasks are helping to reduce quick spread of the disease via community transmission. Together with social distancing and enhanced personal hygiene.
What you are saying is same as claiming that seatbelts and airbags are useless because people crash cars anyway.

scbriml

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:46 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
What you are saying is same as claiming that seatbelts and airbags are useless because people crash cars anyway.

And they're used in China! :shock:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lugie

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

So long as you apply that principle equally. No Narcan for drug users.

Drug use may well be voluntary, yes.
Drug addiction? already a bit murkier but for the sake of the argument I'll let it pass.
Drug overdose because the heroin you got into by way of an unnecessary painkiller prescription was laced with fentanyl so now you need Narcan?
Not a voluntary decision at all.

Being an anti-science moron and protesting a measure that is in place to protect your own health, exposing yourself to infection risks all the while insulting medical staff who work overtime, sacrificing their mental and possibly physical health?
A very voluntary and very dumb decision for which you should absolutely bear the consequences.
After all, COVID-19 is just a hoax anyway, right?

Next.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Jalap

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

I feel it’s you who doesn’t want to end this madness.
It’s so simple. If measurs aren’t strict enough to achieve a lower than 1 reproduction rate, then it’ll last a very long time.
If measures lead to a reproduction rate lower than 1, the virus will disappear.

You are constanly argumenting for a higher than 1 reproduction rate. Hence your logic will make this last far longer and kill many more.

Waterbomber2

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 am

The same people who took too long to declare the state of emergency, causing the unnecessary deaths of thousands of people, are now screaming to reopen the economy.

Dr. Birx and many countries are settling into the narrative that the curves are becoming less steep.
We already saw this with Wuhan and I call BS.
New infections seem to be plateauing very suddenly because to keep up with an exponential increase in new confirned infections, you also need to keep increasing the numbers of tests exponentially.
They know that and this is why the US is asking to ise all unused testing resources so that they can figure out if it's really stabilising.
But let me tell you this. A sudden plateau is unrealistic, even with social distancing, because it takes time for such a marked evolution to show itself.
A sudden plateau can be realistic if you go for a total lockdown.

As for those who want to support reopening the economy, be my guest, I will support you.
Those of us who know better will protect ourselves and watch how you decimate yourselves out there.
The video of Bolsonaro coughing like a madman says enough. He is putting himself on death row over this.
That some Democrat governors want to use this as excuse to chain your constitutional rights may be wrong, but then again, packing crowds to infect yourselves is not the right way to fight that.

So yes, let's reopen the economy without any solid measures and let's see the disaster that will follow.
I'm ready for it.

Politicians made a lot of mistakes so far, it's unlikely that they will stop making mistakes now.

GDB

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:07 am

N212R wrote:
GDB wrote:
You have managed to say what I was planning to, though I would likely have been banned due to the extremely strong language used to express my utter contempt for these selfish, stupid idiots.
How to make it simple for idiots?
Maybe try to point out to them that if lockdown, which we all hate but actual grown ups (in attitude not age though most kids also seem to get it), are aware of how needed it is to save lives.

So if you exit it too soon, or ignore it, there will be another wave of the virus and guess what will happen again?
Hence why governments which are basically responsible, who are suffering great economic and increasing related social pressures too, are very cautious about lifting restrictions on social distancing.
As there might well be further waves of Covid, as similar virus strains have done, which also tend not to give long term immunity to those had already had it. Then guess what? Another lockdown. I would say more deaths but these protestors and really deep down, their idol Trump, do not care about that, or think somehow they are immune. Do they think a vaccine is imminent? Well it isn't.

Now that would ironic, another lockdown, all the economic problem that brings, right when the clown in the White House would fear it the most. In the fall of this year.

And what about those idiots who can't let a good crisis go to waste without playing needless politics?

Do you think it's ONLY Trump supporters among the "protesters" who want to get back to work?

Almost certainly, well them and outright neo-Nazis (who have made their if not love but approval of Trump - fellow racist and all that - pretty clear). Either way, they are all stupid enough to be. I should point out here that I am talking about the one in IN which had those elements and yes DID, block a hospital.

dobilan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:14 am

@waterbomber... I'm not questioning the seriousness of the epidemic but the economy should open somehow in a month or two. There is a limited amount of time societies/states can resist without a functional economy. I would say a few months. We've already spent between 1 and 2 months of quarantine, depending on state. Beyond that, people will have to choose anyway between the epidemic and major social turbulence/war.
I'm also wondering how's possible that countries like Japan (high density, elderly population) are so untouch. I'm wondering even more looking at India or Bangladesh. Even with less testing or government doctoring the numbers, bodies should have been piling on the streets by now.

AirWorthy99

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That doesn’t confirm your claim at all - you’re just using a classic anecdotal logical fallacy. ‘People are no longer allowed to seek’ is doubly false - you were talking about one person rather than the general public and nobody has passed a law saying mental counseling cannot be sought.

There is already evidence of negative effects on mental health over here in Florida due to COVID19

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Officials said a wave of mental health issues is washing over Central Florida during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office said they’re seeing a lot more drug overdoses Baker Acts now than during the same time in 2019.

Since more people are at home, crime has gone done. Overall calls for service continue to decrease, but Sheriff John Mina is concerned about the statistics that are rising.
Content Continues Below

“We have seen increases in drug overdoses and those who are committed involuntarily under the Baker Act," Mina said. "And I’m sure there’s a slew of socioeconomic contributors.”

In March 2019, there were 100 drug overdoses, and 10 people died. Last month, 172 people overdosed and 13 people died.

In addition, 1,035 people were committed involuntarily under the Baker Act since the beginning of the year. In the same time frame last year, that number was 841.

Nationally certified counselor Dwight Bain said calls to help hotlines have increased by more than 100%.

“Individuals that were dealing with stress or worry, depression, anxiety or loneliness were feeling pressure, but now that pressure has ramped up incredibly," Bain said.

Adding unemployment to the mix for someone who is already dealing with substance abuse or mental health can push them over the top, Bain said.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange- ... YCPHYCBDY/

This is only the beginning of this crisis.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What we’ve learned,

Would you have an actual, you know, counter to each of those points. CDC hasn’t performed well, Fauci told us masks wouldn’t help, that it wasn’t a threat (January), the WHO parroted China, Trump was a “racist” for cutting off Chinese entry. Pelosi is tone deaf with her extravagant ways. Yes, Trump been a hindrance to addressing the problem, but when hadn’t he been one?

Sanders did win on socialism,

Under Lockdown Socialism:

–you can stay in your residence, but paying rent or paying your mortgage is optional.

–you can obtain groceries and shop on line, but having a job is optional.

–other people work at farms, factories, and distribution services to make sure that you have food on the table, but you can sit at home waiting for a vaccine.

–people still work in nursing homes that have lost so many patients that they no longer have enough revenue to make payroll.

–professors and teachers are paid even though schools are shut down.

–police protect your property even though they are at risk for catching the virus and criminals are being set free.

–state and local governments will continue paying employees even though sales tax revenue has collapsed.

–if you own a small business, you don’t need revenue, because the government will keep sending checks.

–if you own shares in an airline, a bank, or other fragile corporations, don’t worry, the Treasury will work something out.

This might not be sustainable.

Courtesy Arnold Kling

casinterest

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:48 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What we’ve learned,

Would you have an actual, you know, counter to each of those points. CDC hasn’t performed well, Fauci told us masks wouldn’t help, that it wasn’t a threat (January), the WHO parroted China, Trump was a “racist” for cutting off Chinese entry. Pelosi is tone deaf with her extravagant ways. Yes, Trump been a hindrance to addressing the problem, but when hadn’t he been one?

Under Lockdown Socialism:

–you can stay in your residence, but paying rent or paying your mortgage is optional.

–you can obtain groceries and shop on line, but having a job is optional.

–other people work at farms, factories, and distribution services to make sure that you have food on the table, but you can sit at home waiting for a vaccine.

–people still work in nursing homes that have lost so many patients that they no longer have enough revenue to make payroll.

–professors and teachers are paid even though schools are shut down.

–police protect your property even though they are at risk for catching the virus and criminals are being set free.

–state and local governments will continue paying employees even though sales tax revenue has collapsed.

–if you own a small business, you don’t need revenue, because the government will keep sending checks.

–if you own shares in an airline, a bank, or other fragile corporations, don’t worry, the Treasury will work something out.

This might not be sustainable.

Courtesy Arnold Kling

Are you one drugs? Or just have your face buried in the Fox network pravda association.
Where ever you go, there you are.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The so-called capitalism gerbil wheel works only if there are others pickup the spoils.

The wheel stopped, hence the extraordinary steps.

Sure you can evict or fore-close on first missed payment, who is ready to move in.

Online/curbside pick-up is a pain. I would rather suit-up and buy grocers my self.

No one asked any family to move their elderly to nursing homes, it is their decision. Their busy life doesn't permit them to take care.

CDC/FDA/Fauci/Brix in January should have told Trump, we need 3--4 Billion surgical masks and a Billion N95 masks. They didn't

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Never watched Fox, never. Don’t thirst on MSNBC, either. Here’s a thoughtful opinion piece on the state of political play. We’re doomed as if these threads don’t prove it. Not one agreeable position by either side—it’s all, “me or forget it”.

https://quillette.com/2020/04/18/viral-politics/

casinterest

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Never watched Fox, never. Don’t thirst on MSNBC, either. Here’s a thoughtful opinion piece on the state of political play. We’re doomed as if these threads don’t prove it. Not one agreeable position by either side—it’s all, “me or forget it”.

https://quillette.com/2020/04/18/viral-politics/

Quillette. Thoughtful? I could get more info from a 6 year old., That site is a right wing nut house. worse than Fox.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:22 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

There is already evidence of negative effects on mental health over here in Florida due to COVID19

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Officials said a wave of mental health issues is washing over Central Florida during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office said they’re seeing a lot more drug overdoses Baker Acts now than during the same time in 2019.

Since more people are at home, crime has gone done. Overall calls for service continue to decrease, but Sheriff John Mina is concerned about the statistics that are rising.
Content Continues Below

“We have seen increases in drug overdoses and those who are committed involuntarily under the Baker Act," Mina said. "And I’m sure there’s a slew of socioeconomic contributors.”

In March 2019, there were 100 drug overdoses, and 10 people died. Last month, 172 people overdosed and 13 people died.

In addition, 1,035 people were committed involuntarily under the Baker Act since the beginning of the year. In the same time frame last year, that number was 841.

Nationally certified counselor Dwight Bain said calls to help hotlines have increased by more than 100%.

“Individuals that were dealing with stress or worry, depression, anxiety or loneliness were feeling pressure, but now that pressure has ramped up incredibly," Bain said.

Adding unemployment to the mix for someone who is already dealing with substance abuse or mental health can push them over the top, Bain said.

Sounds like society was already sick to begin with...no?

AirWorthy99

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Content Continues Below

Well, according to the data cited, unfortunately its getting worse. Overdoses have increased 70%.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:44 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Content Continues Below

Well, according to the data cited, unfortunately its getting worse. Overdoses have increased 70%.

Sounds to me like a country and state with a poor overall social safety net - that's just what we have. I don't see this story out of Germany, for example, other than more calls to help lines and a finance minister who took himself out. Italy and the UK are probably a different story though.

AirWorthy99

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Sounds to me like a country and state with a poor overall social safety net - that's just what we have. I don't see this story out of Germany, for example, other than more calls to help lines and a finance minister who took himself out. Italy and the UK are probably a different story though.

Again, here we go with the US has it worse than Europe line. No evidence mental health issues on the other side of the pond are better than the US, just yet.

Here is one of the issues going on with children:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -in-europe

And in any case, what I cited wasn't a study, but police reports, its way to early to see studies that show mental health issues due to COVID19.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:57 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
And in any case, what I cited wasn't a study, but police reports, its way to early to see studies that show mental health issues due to COVID19.

Well at least we are applying scientific rigor for a change - that’s progress.

Waterbomber2

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:03 pm

dobilan wrote:
@waterbomber... I'm not questioning the seriousness of the epidemic but the economy should open somehow in a month or two. There is a limited amount of time societies/states can resist without a functional economy. I would say a few months. We've already spent between 1 and 2 months of quarantine, depending on state. Beyond that, people will have to choose anyway between the epidemic and major social turbulence/war.
I'm also wondering how's possible that countries like Japan (high density, elderly population) are so untouch. I'm wondering even more looking at India or Bangladesh. Even with less testing or government doctoring the numbers, bodies should have been piling on the streets by now.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.
The only right call to make was a very early total border closure of individual nations, late January, February at the latest.
This would have kept the virus outside such nations and maintained a fully functional local economy and domestic market.
Hotels, restaurants and airlines with extensive international networks would still have been hit pretty bad, but the extent would have been limited.

This is the only available playbook for nations:
The only way forward is to hermetically close borders, eradicate the virus locally by locking down tightly for a month (forget social distancing, instore a shoot on sight order for anyone attempting to leave their homes), creating safe zones where this was achieved, then extending the safe zones until it is eradicated out of an entire nation. At that point, keep borders closed, but unleash the full domestic economy with tight resurgence surveillance, maniacal contact-tracing, and a minimal degree of social distancing.
Eventually nations will come to the conclusion that this is what needs to be done.

Everyday that a nation delays implementing the above, it is wasting one day for the economy.

Reopening a nation full with potential spreaders is not a plan, it's idiocy.
For instance, the U.S. 3-phase plan is total stupidity when people can cross from one state to the other or take flights from hot zones to other area's and restart the spreading cycle.

If you want the economy back, you need a short but total lockdown that isolates and eradicates the virus. With loose guidelines, all you do is create an ever-lasting anemic situation.

IgorD

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:58 pm

I think, @Waterbomber2, you are right on how to make a serious attempt at eradication of the virus. Most probably it is not going to happen, probably the societies will accept the costs in lives and open up. The tragedy (or irony) is that we are going to both, seriously damage the economy and write off the weak and old.