Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

How long to produce a new aerial map?

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Just wondered when we can expect to see new versions of Google or Bing maps? Might be quite interesting what with all of the groundings. I assume that's what this plane has been doing recently.

VSMUT

Re: How long to produce a new aerial map?

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:28 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Just wondered when we can expect to see new versions of Google or Bing maps? Might be quite interesting what with all of the groundings. I assume that's what this plane has been doing recently.

It isn't necessarily photos for maps. It could be IR imagining to find leakages in district heating systems, bird counting, traffic studies and more. This side of aviation is surprisingly big.

BTW, it is the season for that stuff right now, loads of them are up and about at the moment. Not only is winter over, but we had a nice big high-pressure creating perfect weather conditions for aerial surveys.

scbriml

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:16 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

You know what they say about assumption!

It's actually doing 3D mapping to ensure there are no glitches in the matrix. :yes:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rfields5421

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:54 pm

In 1973, one of the aircraft in my USN squadron, an RA-3B, was doing supplemental flights for certain areas of the Philippines, in a map update project. The aircraft produced required track photos on large film - over 11" wide. The mapping flights were completed in July 1973, and I was told the completed maps were done by DMA in Feb 74. The primary photography had been done by the USAF over the period 1971-72.

Another project many years, new job and a technology leap later in the mid-2000's included updating maps of airports in the US. For that we used Google Earth as a research resource. Because GE told us the date the 'current' imagery was taken. I don't need that level of detail now being a ROF, so I don't have GE currently loaded on a computer.

Photographic image 'maps' at that time were updated on a patchwork basis. A certain area would be updated, and that part of the grid was updated. One side of DFW was updated and the other side might not be updated for several months..

One thing that I used to keep track of was near where I lived in a far northeast Dallas suburb. There was a lot of new home construction, so I could often tell within a few weeks of when a Google or Bing maps image was taken. Again, some parts of a subdivision were only a few days old, others parts were months old.

In such a dynamic area, the road map view did not match the visual satellite or aerial images. One of the cities submitted streets into their, and the state database, when the road was approved for the city plan (pre-construction contract). The road map showed many streets that were still open fields. Another city where I lived did not put new streets into the state database until the entire subdivision road network was completed and open for use. Many open areas on the road map showed streets in the aerial view. This was common on both Google and Bing, and in road GPS databases.
Not all who wander are lost.

Brick

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

When I worked for Bing maps, from image capture to push to the web it could take anywhere from 3 to 18 months. Production times depended on a lot of factors, too many I care to list.

The mission in the OP's screen shot is not a classic aerial photography mission. The aircraft is owned by Raven Air in the UK and though they are a mapping company, this mission looks like a specialized sensor was utilized that is not used for classic aerial mapping products (such as Google Maps, Bing, and etc). Raven Air doesn't list their equipment on their website, so it's hard to say what sensor was used, but this mission did not use a classic frame camera.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

rfields5421

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:13 pm

Over a decade ago there was a much discussed image of the Frankfurt airport (EDDF/FRA) which showed one aircraft four times, and a fifth ground shadow of the aircraft. Each image of the plane was about 1.5km apart. It was a very graphic illustration of how the closest level images are over layed on a grid. Might be able to find it, if one uses the feature to adjust the time of the current displayed images.
Not all who wander are lost.

TSS

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Brick wrote:
When I worked for Bing maps, from image capture to push to the web it could take anywhere from 3 to 18 months. Production times depended on a lot of factors, too many I care to list.

The mission in the OP's screen shot is not a classic aerial photography mission. The aircraft is owned by Raven Air in the UK and though they are a mapping company, this mission looks like a specialized sensor was utilized that is not used for classic aerial mapping products (such as Google Maps, Bing, and etc). Raven Air doesn't list their equipment on their website, so it's hard to say what sensor was used, but this mission did not use a classic frame camera.

I had no idea Bing maps was a self-supported entity. Every time I use them there's a cookie to clear from Digital Globe, so I assumed that's who Bing maps contracted with for everything.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Brick

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 pm

TSS wrote:
I had no idea Bing maps was a self-supported entity. Every time I use them there's a cookie to clear from Digital Globe, so I assumed that's who Bing maps contracted with for everything.

Bing Maps stopped in-house production in 2015 after all of the Microsoft mapping assets were sold to Uber for a ton of money. I was fortunate to get out the year before the sale.

Depending on your zoom level and where on the globe you are viewing, Digital Globe (now Maxar Technologies) provides satellite acquired content for Bing Maps, hence the Digital Globe/Maxar copyright notices and browser cookies.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...