Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:07 am

You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:07 am

Okie wrote:
Everyone is at home and no parties so little or no lead poisoning.

Okie

What? Where do you live that Parties cause Lead Poisoning??
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Are you agreeing with what the woman did?

Clearly, I am not. I am referring to the selfish, ignorant fools who deny the seriousness of the Covid-19 threat; those who say things like:

"People won't stand for the mayors and governors continually extending it. At that point factions start forming and you will see the swift collapse of society."

"The rest of the world is saying these people aren't worth saving because of the current pandemic. No hospital space for anyone else. They don't want to see their society collapse over one event."

"Six months of no one working will mean we are in a depression we will never recovers from. Just like a Democrat to keep kicking the can. First it was two weeks of isolation and now it's six months. There is nothing more precious than our civil rights. Thousands died protecting them and now they are ripped away.."

"I'm not the only one who agrees these restrictions can't go on for long. Depression, cabin fever, looting, domestic violence, civil unrest, etc are all brewing. Most are just not going to accept being on house arrest indefinitely."

"When these mayors and governors tell people they can't worship their God together and can't even gather as families, that's going to be the final straw for many. Some cops will undoubtedly try and enter private homes I'd they think there are more than ten people inside. It's going to get very ugly, very quickly."

"There's much more to be worried about than dying of coronavirus."

Right now, there is not so much more to be worried about.... but Darwin should take care of those who think so.

The government told us there would be over 100,00 deaths by the end of this week. We are currently sitting at ~16,000. So yeah, I don't blindly believe whatever the government tells me. I'm quite proud of that.

Quite proud of lacking basic knowledge of statistics and probability modeling? Ya’ll are reacting as if you’ve been lied to. No, it’s called a ‘confidence interval’ in math.

Study up:

http://www.statisticslectures.com/topic ... istograms/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Clearly, I am not. I am referring to the selfish, ignorant fools who deny the seriousness of the Covid-19 threat; those who say things like:

"People won't stand for the mayors and governors continually extending it. At that point factions start forming and you will see the swift collapse of society."

"The rest of the world is saying these people aren't worth saving because of the current pandemic. No hospital space for anyone else. They don't want to see their society collapse over one event."

"Six months of no one working will mean we are in a depression we will never recovers from. Just like a Democrat to keep kicking the can. First it was two weeks of isolation and now it's six months. There is nothing more precious than our civil rights. Thousands died protecting them and now they are ripped away.."

"I'm not the only one who agrees these restrictions can't go on for long. Depression, cabin fever, looting, domestic violence, civil unrest, etc are all brewing. Most are just not going to accept being on house arrest indefinitely."

"When these mayors and governors tell people they can't worship their God together and can't even gather as families, that's going to be the final straw for many. Some cops will undoubtedly try and enter private homes I'd they think there are more than ten people inside. It's going to get very ugly, very quickly."

"There's much more to be worried about than dying of coronavirus."

Right now, there is not so much more to be worried about.... but Darwin should take care of those who think so.

The government told us there would be over 100,00 deaths by the end of this week. We are currently sitting at ~16,000. So yeah, I don't blindly believe whatever the government tells me. I'm quite proud of that.

Quite proud of lacking basic knowledge of statistics and probability modeling? Ya’ll are reacting as if you’ve been lied to. No, it’s called a ‘confidence interval’ in math.

Study up:

And even with completely missing the mark, they are wanting to impose even more restrictions on us. Trump and the governor of TN are the only people even discussing when this craziness might come to an end.

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Study up:

I cannot tell if we are just that married to a data point, or we are genuinely disappointed that the fatalities have not piled up fast enough.

In any case, why does anybody think that this is over?

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:55 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Study up:

I cannot tell if we are just that married to a data point, or we are genuinely disappointed that the fatalities have not piled up fast enough.

Denial, paranoia about agendas, pride, ignorance, cult of personality...who knows what motivations are at play for those seeking out misinformation by choice. The only rational things guiding the discussion should be science and economics.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Okie

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:00 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
What? Where do you live that Parties cause Lead Poisoning??

Baltimore, Stockton, Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, Memphis and just about any city where drugs and gangs are prolific.

Okie

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:03 am

Speaking of stupid, just what in tarnation is this??

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1248699 ... 72864?s=21

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:18 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Study up:

Denial, paranoia about agendas, pride, ignorance, cult of personality...who knows what motivations are at play for those seeking out misinformation by choice. The only rational things guiding the discussion should be science and economics.

As sure as the sun rises, you're always there to criticize anyone that wants to be optimistic. And seeking misinformation? Those numbers came out of Fauci's mouth.

Anyone who doesn't want to rejoin society can stay home and be a hermit the rest of their lives. For me, I'd like to get back to office the gym and enjoy a nice dinner out.

alfa164

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:24 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
The government told us there would be over 100,00 deaths by the end of this week.

TailedTiger wrote:
Those numbers came out of Fauci's mouth.

Did you even read your own quote? Try it again:

TTailedTiger wrote:
"And Anthony Fauci, MD, said 100,000 to 200,000 deaths is entirely conceivable, a range he had mentioned earlier in the day during an interview on CNN with Jake Tapper."

Now, let's look up that word "conceivable"... and then see where it the statement says anything about "this week".

Please get back to us with that...

TTailedTiger wrote:
Trump and the governor of TN are the only people even discussing when this craziness might come to an end.

Well, obviously not; we are discussing it. Fortunately, medical and virology experts are discussing it, too - and they can see how quarantine, social-distancing, and restrictions on group activities are slowing the spread of this insidious virus. Even Trump has come around from his "let's all get together for Easter!" attitude; I wouldn't be surprised that what happened to his buddy Boris Johnson might have been a wake-up call.

TTailedTiger wrote:
As sure as the sun rises, you're always there to criticize anyone that wants to be optimistic.

It is okay to be optimistic, if you are capable of being realistic at the same time. That quality seems to escape you.

:roll:
Last edited by alfa164 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Newark727

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:26 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
For me, I'd like to get back to office the gym and enjoy a nice dinner out.

I mean, it's not as though the rest of us don't. But governments ending quarantines early runs a serious risk of increasing the total time everyone has to stay inside.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:34 am

Newark727 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I mean, it's not as though the rest of us don't. But governments ending quarantines early runs a serious risk of increasing the total time everyone has to stay inside.

You could have fooled me. Almost everyone has a negative attitude and acts like they want everyone to hide under the bed for the rest of the year. What turned into "two weeks of staying at home" has turned into months. Ralph Northam has put his people confined to their homes until June 10. You can't tell me that has any scientific reasoning.

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:40 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

As sure as the sun rises, you're always there to criticize anyone that wants to be optimistic. And seeking misinformation? Those numbers came out of Fauci's mouth.

Anyone who doesn't want to rejoin society can stay home and be a hermit the rest of their lives. For me, I'd like to get back to office the gym and enjoy a nice dinner out.

No, I’m criticizing willful denial of reality. NIH and CDC have not given us misinformation because their projections didn’t pan out - that’s not even what the models being ‘wrong’ means. Projected deaths and hospitalizations have occurred on the low end of the histogram - and that’s only good news.

But in a situation where there is no coordinated response and a handful of states not doing their part, there is a lot of risk to going back to normal without antibody serology available to at least determine who’s okay to be back out there. Just basic math.

And experts still need to understand more about what’s been reported from South Korea about ‘reactivations’ in recovered individuals.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1 ... 16167?s=21

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You could have fooled me. Almost everyone has a negative attitude and acts like they want everyone to hide under the bed for the rest of the year. What turned into "two weeks of staying at home" has turned into months. Ralph Northam has put his people confined to their homes until June 10. You can't tell me that has any scientific reasoning.

Find the quote where anyone here has said we ‘oughta hide under the bed’ (much less want to) the rest of the year. Abject claptrap.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Find the quote where anyone here has said we ‘oughta hide under the bed’ (much less want to) the rest of the year. Abject claptrap.

I said "acts like".

Aaron747

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:57 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I said "acts like".

Holy moly, so contrite. That deserves absolution, and a cookie :sarcastic:

alfa164

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 am

Here's a good analogy, for those who can pay attention:

Last week, Trump administration officials had forecast that between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could die from Covid-19, even if social distancing guidelines were followed. Still, administration officials even then said that number could be reduced if social distancing measures proved more effective than expected. Scientists have widely attributed reduced death toll estimates to the effectiveness of those measures.

“Let’s just be frank,” said Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development and former Obama-era foreign aid official. “There’s some real disingenuousness behind some of these critiques … It’s a little bit like the logic of the anti-vaccine movement … which is, no one gets measles anymore, why are we all still taking the silly vaccine?”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/10/trump-coronavirus-data-modeling-179226

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I said "acts like".

... and a plate of warm milk....

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:29 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I said "acts like".

Uh huh. And how do you feel about states like MN telling hospitals to label deaths as coronavirus when the person was never even tested for it?

alfa164

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Uh huh. And how do you feel about states like MN telling hospitals to label deaths as coronavirus when the person was never even tested for it?

Well, you aren't quite to the truth yet...It is NOT the State of Minnesota, and it only applies if Cotonavirus was "assumed to cause or contribute to a death":

"Last week, the National Vital Statistics System, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, provided new guidance for those who submit death certificates. It said they should list coronavirus if it was assumed to cause or contribute to a death. Clinicians say COVID-19 can hasten death of someone with a chronic respiratory condition because in severe cases it deprives the body of oxygen. Ideally, people would have been tested before they died or after. But restrictions on tests and other considerations are preventing that in some cases."

But never let facts get in they way of your agenda....

:roll:

WarRI1

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:45 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I said "acts like".

Because there are tell tales during testing such as Ultra sounds and x-rays, my son who damn near died from it never had a positive test, two negative tests. The Doctors told him they knew from tests, something about markings on his lungs, not positive exactly what they were.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aesma

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:08 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The numbers of bullshit, simple. The “experts” don’t have consistent standards on the data (comorbity, for example, all deaths where the virus was present CV caused the death), so, they don’t have good numerator. Without very extensive testing, they don’t have a decent denominator, so it’s BS. It’s the only data we have, but we’re overreacting to it because it’s so inaccurate.

Most governments have totally failed at testing, still failing right now, so who's fault is it that models are inaccurate ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
As sure as the sun rises, you're always there to criticize anyone that wants to be optimistic.

Wait, you think you're optimistic? Well you had me fooled with your endless predictions of the total breakdown of society!

Whatever you do, don't look at UK newspaper headlines today, you'll implode.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Wait, you think you're optimistic? Well you had me fooled with your endless predictions of the total breakdown of society!

Well you have fun with that. We can't afford to have everyone sitting at home for a year in the US.

seb146

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:04 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Well you have fun with that. We can't afford to have everyone sitting at home for a year in the US.

But we can afford hundreds of thousands out of work because they are too sick or how many dead because they "had" to work?

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:17 am

seb146 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:

But we can afford hundreds of thousands out of work because they are too sick or how many dead because they "had" to work?

The government is dependent on tax dollars. No is paying taxes if they're not working. You obviously aren't concerned with the mental well-being of everyone. When you have governors like Whitmer who won't even allow people to see their family and friends you are going to see an uprising. I dare say she is the worst person to ever take office in the US. She won't even allow people to work on their home or plant a garden. Her command and control philosophy is something straight out of N Korea.

scbriml

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:47 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
When you have governors like Whitmer who won't even allow people to see their family and friends you are going to see an uprising.

It's called "stay at home" for a reason. It's what we're doing in the UK and many other countries. We can't travel 58 miles to visit our brand new grandchild. We understand why and don't want to put her at risk. We're sucking it up, not plotting an uprising. :sarcastic:

TTailedTiger wrote:
She won't even allow people to work on their home or plant a garden.

Do you have a source or direct quote supporting that claim?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
When you have governors like Whitmer who won't even allow people to see their family and friends you are going to see an uprising.

It's called "stay at home" for a reason. It's what we're doing in the UK and many other countries. We can't travel 58 miles to visit our brand new grandchild. We understand why and don't want to put her at risk. We're sucking it up, not plotting an uprising. :sarcastic:

TTailedTiger wrote:
She won't even allow people to work on their home or plant a garden.

Do you have a source or direct quote supporting that claim?

Read the newest addendum to her order. She demanded that stores prohibit sales of garden and other home improvement items. You can buy marijuana but not paint, lawnmower, or seeds for a vegetable garden.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 129316002/

And oh yeah, the state legislature is against her. They rejected her demand to keep emergency powers for 70 days.

And another thing, who is she to keep people away from vacation homes that they own and pay taxes on? Her great grandchildren are going to be dealing with the lawsuits that she's being hit with. Unbelievable.

seahawk

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:04 am

It is about controlling the population. Fear and social distancing make demonstrations hard to organize and illegal. This is how our rights are taken away.

KFTG

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:46 am

I've been giving it some thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfDwc2G2_8&t=17s

I'm with Bill on this one.
Trump was right.

scbriml

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
She demanded that stores prohibit sales of garden and other home improvement items. You can buy marijuana but not paint, lawnmower, or seeds for a vegetable garden.

Which is actually quite different from what you stated (not for the first time) - nobody is "banned" from working on their house or doing some gardening. All non-essential shops in UK are closed - that includes DIY stores and gardening centres. But guess what - lots of stores have adapted and now do home deliveries when they didn't previously. We can still work on the house and do gardening. Are you really suggesting you can't get paint, lawnmowers or seeds delivered in America?

TTailedTiger wrote:
And another thing, who is she to keep people away from vacation homes that they own and pay taxes on?

Meh, not feeling much sympathy here - if you have enough money to be able to afford two houses, you can afford the tax on two houses. You can only be in one house at a time, so you're always paying tax on an vacant house. The point is, non-essential travel is a risk - not only a huge risk of spreading Covid-19 but think for a second what happens if you get in a bad accident travelling to your second home. That's taking away much needed emergency services to deal with the consequences of what is basically someone being selfish in the circumstances.

In the UK there is clear definition of essential travel:
    To shop for food.
    Travel for health reasons (e.g. hospital appointment or shopping for medicines).
    Travel to provide care.
    Travel to and from work, only if you cannot work from home.
    You can leave your house for exercise (must be local) - not like idiots driving 50 miles with a canoe on their car to paddle in a lake.

Everything else is non-essential and you might well be stopped by the police if they have reason to think your journey is not essential. From the government's website - "Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk."

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 am

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
She demanded that stores prohibit sales of garden and other home improvement items. You can buy marijuana but not paint, lawnmower, or seeds for a vegetable garden.

Which is actually quite different from what you stated (not for the first time) - nobody is "banned" from working on their house or doing some gardening. All non-essential shops in UK are closed - that includes DIY stores and gardening centres. But guess what - lots of stores have adapted and now do home deliveries when they didn't previously. We can still work on the house and do gardening. Are you really suggesting you can't get paint, lawnmowers or seeds delivered in America?

TTailedTiger wrote:
And another thing, who is she to keep people away from vacation homes that they own and pay taxes on?

Meh, not feeling much sympathy here - if you have enough money to be able to afford two houses, you can afford the tax on two houses. You can only be in one house at a time, so you're always paying tax on an vacant house. The point is, non-essential travel is a risk - not only a huge risk of spreading Covid-19 but think for a second what happens if you get in a bad accident travelling to your second home. That's taking away much needed emergency services to deal with the consequences of what is basically someone being selfish in the circumstances.

In the UK there is clear definition of essential travel:
    To shop for food.
    Travel for health reasons (e.g. hospital appointment or shopping for medicines).
    Travel to provide care.
    Travel to and from work, only if you cannot work from home.
    You can leave your house for exercise (must be local) - not like idiots driving 50 miles with a canoe on their car to paddle in a lake.

Everything else is non-essential and you might well be stopped by the police if they have reason to think your journey is not essential. From the government's website - "Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk."

This is comparing apples to oranges. You don't have constitutional rights like we do in the US. As I posted earlier, the governor of Kentucky got his rear-end handed to him by a federal judge yesterday. And I see you paid no attention to the governor of MI being rebuked by the state legislature. Police departmenta have had to issue apologies in hopes of not being sued from stupid cops threatening to arrest people for for playing with their family in the park. We don't have to put up with such nonsense here. This has all been napping in the past couple of days. I told you Americans won't put up with this crap forever.

Whitmer also banned the sale of car seats. You really should check out her Twitter. People are not happy with her at all.

petertenthije

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:48 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
This is comparing apples to oranges. You don't have constitutional rights like we do in the US.

You do realise that having rights is hardly unique to the USA? When compared to other (western) nations, the differences are mostly in the detail. With your second amendment being the most obvious difference.
Attamottamotta!

GDB

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 am

petertenthije wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
This is comparing apples to oranges. You don't have constitutional rights like we do in the US.

You do realise that having rights is hardly unique to the USA? When compared to other (western) nations, the differences are mostly in the detail. With your second amendment being the most obvious difference.

I think he probably does not. 'Me Me Me' seems to be the overriding factor in all the whining.

We have a few people, not many but loud, who are bitching about the restrictions here in the UK. We all hate them, however it is becoming clearer as deaths mount that if anything they were compared to nearby nations, brought in too late, if only by a week or two.

scbriml

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:08 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

We have rights and freedoms - just because they're not written down on an old bit of paper doesn't make them any less valid. I believe the US Supreme Court has ruled that constitutional rights are not unlimited.

TTailedTiger wrote:
As I posted earlier, the governor of Kentucky got his rear-end handed to him by a federal judge yesterday. And I see you paid no attention to the governor of MI being rebuked by the state legislature. Police departmenta have had to issue apologies in hopes of not being sued from stupid cops threatening to arrest people for for playing with their family in the park. We don't have to put up with such nonsense here. This has all been napping in the past couple of days. I told you Americans won't put up with this crap forever.

The judge ruled against one specific item, but if that's all it takes for you to characterise that as a win, go for it. Attending church at the height of a pandemic is dumb. There are no church services in the UK, many services are being conducted via video. I'm sure the gods will forgive the believers for not being able to attend church.

There are over-reaching cops everywhere, Covid-19 or not, it's never been any different. You won't have to put up with "this crap" forever (more extremism).

TTailedTiger wrote:
Whitmer also banned the sale of car seats. You really should check out her Twitter. People are not happy with her at all.

Again with taking something to the extreme - you see or read something, then leap to an extreme, absurd conclusion. She hasn't "banned" the sale of car seats - even the sign you posted says where you can buy buy it. It would be more correct to say some people (including you) are not happy with her (and other governors), so how do you explain that they have high approval ratings?

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/press-p ... -wisconsin
Governors Gavin Newsom of California, Andrew Cuomo of New York, Mike DeWine of Ohio, and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan are all experiencing high approval ratings for their responses to the coronavirus pandemic.

GDB

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:23 pm

You may have seen this elsewhere but as the face of Trumpian America, this takes some beating;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3gAHQLEoM

Now I don't really if this stupid people get it, I DO care that in doing so, they will endanger others, including those charged to protecting and healing people, you know, medics and healthcare workers, who no doubt in her mind are following that ungodly, UN/WHO/Obama/various toil foil BS the US evangelicals fart out. Then go vote for a sex offender. That the first woman could not give a crap about going to walmarts etc because her Jeebus Blood shields her?

The last guy, maybe expressing some doubts, well in the end not really, his 'freedumb' or something.
Relative of yours TT?

scbriml

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 pm

GDB wrote:
You may have seen this elsewhere but as the face of Trumpian America, this takes some beating;

But she's covered in jesus' blood. Allelujah! Praise the lord. Can I get an "Amen"? :sarcastic: :banghead:

Jalap

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:44 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

The point of closing stores for non-essential items is that people don't go out to buy them.
People need to stay home as much as possible.
Stuff remains perfectly available.
I don't see a problem that comes 0,001% close to the health care issues.

petertenthije

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:02 pm

GDB wrote:

The Vatican has decided that a mass service this Easter is not a good idea. They are having an online service instead.

You'd think that if it is good enough for the Pope, it would be good enough for redneckville.
Attamottamotta!

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

We have rights and freedoms - just because they're not written down on an old bit of paper doesn't make them any less valid. I believe the US Supreme Court has ruled that constitutional rights are not unlimited.

TTailedTiger wrote:
As I posted earlier, the governor of Kentucky got his rear-end handed to him by a federal judge yesterday. And I see you paid no attention to the governor of MI being rebuked by the state legislature. Police departmenta have had to issue apologies in hopes of not being sued from stupid cops threatening to arrest people for for playing with their family in the park. We don't have to put up with such nonsense here. This has all been napping in the past couple of days. I told you Americans won't put up with this crap forever.

The judge ruled against one specific item, but if that's all it takes for you to characterise that as a win, go for it. Attending church at the height of a pandemic is dumb. There are no church services in the UK, many services are being conducted via video. I'm sure the gods will forgive the believers for not being able to attend church.

There are over-reaching cops everywhere, Covid-19 or not, it's never been any different. You won't have to put up with "this crap" forever (more extremism).

TTailedTiger wrote:

Again with taking something to the extreme - you see or read something, then leap to an extreme, absurd conclusion. She hasn't "banned" the sale of car seats - even the sign you posted says where you can buy buy it. It would be more correct to say some people (including you) are not happy with her (and other governors), so how do you explain that they have high approval ratings?

Governors Gavin Newsom of California, Andrew Cuomo of New York, Mike DeWine of Ohio, and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan are all experiencing high approval ratings for their responses to the coronavirus pandemic.

Not everyone has access to the internet or electronic payment. She has hurt those people with her order.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:42 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I told you Americans won't put up with this crap forever.

You will put up with this crap for as long as you are told to.

petertenthije wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Not only that, but most Americans are fully aware that places like the UK, the EU, Aus, & NZ all have significantly superior freedom indexes to the US. We will always have a noisy cohort that like to pretend otherwise, and for the most part, we are happy to let them, as it really is usually only themselves they are holding back.

But yes, that does not change the fact that things are not always as we imagine here. And in any case, I do not understand how it is this guy does not understand what the term National Emergency means. People who think goofing off is more important than saving lives belong in Antarctica.

seb146

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:54 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

The government is dependent on tax dollars. No is paying taxes if they're not working. You obviously aren't concerned with the mental well-being of everyone. When you have governors like Whitmer who won't even allow people to see their family and friends you are going to see an uprising. I dare say she is the worst person to ever take office in the US. She won't even allow people to work on their home or plant a garden. Her command and control philosophy is something straight out of N Korea.

She is not allowing non-essential sections of home improvement stores to open. Going to browse Lowe's for inpatients or remodeling the guest room would fall under those categories. Home improvement shops are allowed to remain open for the sanitation and safety of Michigan residents

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover ... rder-means

I don't think any level of "stay at home" order would please MAGA fans. Even though these "stay at home" orders seem to be working. WA, CA, and OR seem to be flattening the curve. They have some of the tightest "stay at home" rules in the country. Although, I would say Oregon is the most relaxed of the three.

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/arti ... 185230.php

I won't even talk about the millions paid in taxes from businesses to government and then given billions back to businesses from the government. Businesses have not been paying taxes for years. The government has been collecting so little in taxes from everyone over the years, why is it such a concern for righties now?

seb146

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:00 pm

seahawk wrote:
It is about controlling the population. Fear and social distancing make demonstrations hard to organize and illegal. This is how our rights are taken away.

But you can't organize if you are six feet under, either. Speaking of controlling the population and taking away rights, how do you feel about Barr suspending parts of the Constitution?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... us-970935/
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... ers-140023
https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog ... -tradition

Of course, with dear leader stacking the courts far, far to the right and in His favor, this is how dictatorships and authoritarian regemes start......

Tugger

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Why do some keep repeating false or straw man arguments like "people won't put up with this stuff forever"? It's such a fake argument since no one, seriously NO ONE has EVER even suggested that people will need to put up with this forever.

It feels like a troll'ie statement, made only to create something that has no basis in reality. But maybe it's just me. At the very least it is my opinion, you may feel differently.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seb146

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Tugger wrote:
Why do some keep repeating false or straw man arguments like "people won't put up with this stuff forever"? It's such a fake argument since no one, seriously NO ONE has EVER even suggested that people will need to put up with this forever.

It feels like a troll'ie statement, made only to create something that has no basis in reality. But maybe it's just me. At the very least it is my opinion, you may feel differently.

Tugg

Americans are not used to this. Some areas are used to being shut down for a few days or a week but still feel they are in control. They can see weather maps or hear sports games from around the country. This is completely different. Something we are not used to. Maybe, and I am just speculating, those who are doom-and-gloom have not been through a major disaster? Or, when they did go through a major disaster, they look back and say "meh.... it wasn't that bad" and compare this to that? There is no comparison. Maybe these people do not know anyone who actually saw first hand the Depression or WWII or the Dust Bowl?

Again, just my opinion.

FGITD

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Thankfully it's a self resolving problem. You wanna get the militia together and go on out together, go for it. 2 weeks later when your good ol' boys are laid up in a hospital because they thought guns, Jesus, and freedom would defeat the virus and save the economy, they'll either learn quick, or die.

No one is trampling anyone's rights just for the hell of it. It's all for the greater good. But too many people have a "f___ you, I'm not sick so why should I stay in?" Mentality, not realizing that this isn't being done for the good of the individual but rather for the masses

scbriml

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

TTailedTiger wrote:

TTailedTiger wrote:

Not everyone has access to the internet or electronic payment. She has hurt those people with her order.

Maybe a very small minority of people will be inconvenienced. It's not the huge deal you seem to think it is.

No explanation for why these "power-crazed" governors have high ratings? :scratchchin:

SCQ83

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Number of people with "good jobs" that do not have a month of savings in their bank account. Just look at the pilot's thread. Always complaining about taxes and now want the government to pay their full previous salary.

The confirmation bias I read from all "experts" out there. Again some people working in the travel / plane industry here are almost hilarious.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Yes, the English are following the rules.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rport.html

ChrisKen

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:40 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian (not an Englishman among them) ....but i don't blame you for not reading a Daily Fail article in full.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian (not an Englishman among them) ....but i don't blame you for not reading a Daily Fail article in full.

Then, pray tell how UK-based foreign nationals departed London to Farnborough airport on this jaunt? I thought non-essential travel was prohibited or is that your vaunted unwritten freedoms at work?