Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 am

Francoflier wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
The worst case scenario numbers have been published for quite some time. But I'll go beyond those. Even if we had 100 million deaths it's still inconsequential in a world of 7.5 billion. Only about 1.3% of the world population.


You really think the world economy would just shrug off losing that many people? It's reasonable to be concerned about the economy, but if every country with COVID-19 cases just ignored it and was still having the exponential increases in infections that Italy and New York were having in mid-March, you can absolutely bet we'd have even more jobless than we do now.


I'll start by saying that I am in no way trying to defend TTailedTiger's inane and tiresome argument, but...

Honestly, and cynically, yes it would shrug it off. Sadly.

Of course, no one would like to see hundreds of thousands or millions dying from a disease... The thing is, all these places started testing quite late and the logarithmic increase we saw initially may very well have been the discovery through testing of a disease that had already taken hold among a larger than expected proportion of the population. The virus didn't wait 3 months to cross Asia into Europe and the Pacific into the US...
Increased and generalized testing is now showing that the virus' prevalence among the population is much higher than initially thought, and extrapolations would start to give credence to the fact that it has already reached seasonal influenza levels of spread, which would largely decrease its morbidity and will likely alter the initial projections.

I am not trying to minimize the increased death rate it has caused, which is a reality. It is still an unknown disease that is meeting little resistance among a non-immunized population, and every life lost is a tragedy and we can't just do nothing. But it is now almost certain that the catastrophic initial predictions, which were based on a very limited set of data, were wrong. The morbidity rate is decreasing by the day, as increased testing finds more and more cases for a similar number of deaths.

On the other hand, while everybody is crunching numbers on Covid, no one seems to bother to quantify the human cost these extreme measures will have.
While some cities/regions' healthcare systems are overwhelmed, in most other places are, on the contrary, hospitals are being deserted. The constant fear mongering and sensationalization is keeping other sick people from hospitals, which will necessarily have an increased morbidity effect... How much? No one knows or cares, apparently.

The massive loss of jobs will lead to millions losing adequate health coverage, resulting in much the same. Then there is the medical toll (both in terms of long term physical and mental health) of high levels of anxiety, stress, depression, increased alcoholism, smoking, drug usage, or even domestic abuse and violence that all of this will engender.

The resulting extraordinary recession this mass panic is causing will result in millions of deaths in the poor and developing nations where countless depend on a daily paycheck for survival. In the developed World, it will mean hardship for millions of families for years.

This new virus is a game of numbers, which as changing by the day. We are happy to weather waves of seasonal flu every year and walk around sneezing or with a runny nose in full knowledge that we might infect a vulnerable person who may die from it, and thousands do. Covid is worse than the seasonal flu, that much is certain from the increased death rate in some places, but we don't know how much worse. Where do we draw the line?
One thing is certain, everybody is painfully aware of it, and not much else.

Shelter in place and shutting down the economy might have been warranted initially when we knew nothing about what we were up against, and to prevent overwhelming the healthcare system in areas of high contagion.

Is it justified now in many places where doctors are being furloughed due to lack of patients and where mortality rates are low?
We can't know the answer to that without analyzing the cost vs. benefit of the measure, and the cost (human and other) is enormous...


Well said. It's just the cold reality of the way the world works.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:26 am

Francoflier wrote:
On the other hand, while everybody is crunching numbers on Covid, no one seems to bother to quantify the human cost these extreme measures will have.


Considering the fact that deciding life/health vs. Economy is part of the day2day business of governments your are almost certainly wrong, and it was considered at great length. That is fairly flat out evident by governments implenting those steps pretty late, and those that acted right away did so with less economic damage and far more successful. You better come up with a solid hypothesis why that trend shouldn't hold, and at what death toll exactly that would turn around.

It would rather appear that many governments underestimated the cost of letting life largely continue at first.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:56 am

Stupid hollering fool who organised anti public safety protests, gets Covid.
Likely, due to how this virus works, at her most infectious when crowded together with the rest of her fools, pleased to see the cops who had to deal with her and the rest of them had PPE, what with all the spittle coming out of their dumb mouths;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf6NIf32PwU
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13022
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 pm

UK Home Department minister Priti Patel ridiculed after announcing ‘shoplifting is down’ compared to year before :

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6624258
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5260
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
On the other hand, while everybody is crunching numbers on Covid, no one seems to bother to quantify the human cost these extreme measures will have.


Considering the fact that deciding life/health vs. Economy is part of the day2day business of governments your are almost certainly wrong, and it was considered at great length. That is fairly flat out evident by governments implenting those steps pretty late, and those that acted right away did so with less economic damage and far more successful. You better come up with a solid hypothesis why that trend shouldn't hold, and at what death toll exactly that would turn around.

It would rather appear that many governments underestimated the cost of letting life largely continue at first.

Best regards
Thomas


I admire your faith in governments, though you tend to have one that's better than the norm, admittedly.
But you're talking about things that can't be changed now. The West's reaction to the virus was much too late and visibly hurried. When testing started to show that the disease had taken hold and hospitals were starting to overcrowd, they essentially had no choice but to go for broke (both metaphorically and literally...) and shut everything down. I do not contest that this was justified then. It was. But it was not out of a reasoned effort to balance economic and public health interests.
That came about from their lack of preparedness and, I believe, a degree of arrogant disbelief, not a will to keep the economy running.

The 'luxury' to think about how to balance both came much later for these countries, right about now in fact.

So I am not arguing that they are weighing the pros and cons now, but the media tapage, the obscene and out of context death count flashed in front of everybody's eyes every few instants and the now deeply rooted mass panic render the decision making quite a lot trickier than it should be. This is where the nasty side effects of a prolonged lockdown get drowned and forgotten.

As for the death toll, It doesn't change the fact that eventually, we are going to have the rather unpleasant debate around what an 'acceptable' mortality rate is... We seem content with the one from the seasonal flu, which varies in severity from year to year. In fact, we barely think about it at all. Except now we can't realistically go back to that level, at least not for a while as keeping everyone at home until the virus disappears is illusory.
Given that we can't turn back time and emulate South Korea or Taiwan, do we set the bar somewhere else or do we just keep praying it'll miraculously stay down once we release everyone?

Maybe we should just find the right public health measures to ensure low community transmission while not unduly disrupting normal life. Your country's decision to enforce wearing masks in public is one such measure, and an excellent idea if you ask me.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
UK Home Department minister Priti Patel ridiculed after announcing ‘shoplifting is down’ compared to year before :

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6624258


She’s probably the worst Home Secretary the UK has ever had, but yes she trumpeted that shoplifting was down. Given the vast majority of shops are closed, this should surprise nobody. Next week she’ll point out that with everyone at home, burglaries are down significantly as well. :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
UK Home Department minister Priti Patel ridiculed after announcing ‘shoplifting is down’ compared to year before :

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6624258


In the Cabinet of loony zealots, unfit to be even MP's, Priti Vacant (as even other Tories call her), stands out.
May sacked her for doing some kind of deal with Israel, her being a swivel eyed Brexiteer and a 'Yes Boris' brought her back into government.
I was shocked a few weeks ago when she did the daily brief, when questioned on the missteps and incompetence that has taken a toll of healthcare workers, 'I'm sorry if you think that' or some other non apology word salad. With vinegar dressing in her case.

Co author (with Raab), of a slim little book calling for the dismantling of the very health services in the front line now, as well as calling the British 'the worst idlers in the world'.

For fun, go to you tube, some years back on Question Time Ian Hislop shredded her about her support for the death penalty.

She is a notorious bully, which has landed her in the mire, with a formal investigation and a private prosecution pending.

So not a surprise that this creature bigs up falling shoplifting when many are shut and the ones that are open restrict numbers inside at any one time.
She really is, as the great character Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi) from 'The Thick Of It' would say, 'so dense, light bends around her'.
Last edited by GDB on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Went to a local grocery store for the first time in a couple of weeks. Some customers wearing masks. I was there five minutes and saw: A) A woman remove her mask to cough. B) A woman remove her mask to sneeze. C) A woman remove her mask to smell cantaloupe. As a former nurse, I just shook my head.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
alfa164
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Yet another protest leader - who has been spending her time out on the streets with her fellow idiots - has been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.

It almost seems... infectious...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-north-carolina-protests-against-stay-at-home-has-coronavirus/ar-BB13hSx3?li=BBnb7Kz


;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:51 pm

The leader of the coronavirus task force visits a hospital and doesn’t wear a face mask despite it being a rule of the facility. :banghead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52465172

Image
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
The leader of the coronavirus task force visits a hospital and doesn’t wear a face mask despite it being a rule of the facility. :banghead:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52465172
Image



But... but... a mask would ruin that perfect photo-op! That's what's important, isn't it?

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 am

Please post on topic.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10382
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:40 am

scbriml wrote:
The leader of the coronavirus task force visits a hospital and doesn’t wear a face mask despite it being a rule of the facility. :banghead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52465172

Image

Some people are just weak.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:53 am

Francoflier wrote:
But you're talking about things that can't be changed now. The West's reaction to the virus was much too late and visibly hurried. When testing started to show that the disease had taken hold and hospitals were starting to overcrowd, they essentially had no choice but to go for broke (both metaphorically and literally...) and shut everything down. I do not contest that this was justified then. It was. But it was not out of a reasoned effort to balance economic and public health interests.


Thats my point..... balanced was before, it was unbalanced before lock downs. Then we balanced it again, but there is just one balance point over each point of time and that is the mess we are stuck in.

That came about from their lack of preparedness and, I believe, a degree of arrogant disbelief, not a will to keep the economy running.


arrogant disbelieve needs a reason. In this case "can´t do that to our economy". Given what our government did starting around mid January i don´t think they where unprepared, but had lots of possible trajectories with something like x% chance we can contain this at sustainable levels (like SK/TW). And wishful thinking had them hope for the best too long, but i don´t think they had any illusions about the less optimum cases, as that was also the time when they told hospital to get ready for a pandemic.

Maybe we should just find the right public health measures to ensure low community transmission while not unduly disrupting normal life. Your country's decision to enforce wearing masks in public is one such measure, and an excellent idea if you ask me.


only on trains/buses and while shopping, at least in my state, and i guess they did that the moment they where confident everyone could source a mask.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Yet another protest leader - who has been spending her time out on the streets with her fellow idiots - has been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.

It almost seems... infectious...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-north-carolina-protests-against-stay-at-home-has-coronavirus/ar-BB13hSx3?li=BBnb7Kz


;)


You do understand that ultimately most people will get it right?
Probably millions more already have it and will never know they did.
Vaccine at this time is just wishful thinking. No guarantee it will work.
As long as hospitals have beds that's where the line flattens. We move forward until it goes up again.

If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in.
It is that simple.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10382
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Mon May 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Just to acknowledge, Pence is now admitting he should have worn a mask while visiting the Mayo clinic. Good.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/vp-pence- ... -have-worn

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
Elite
Posts: 2309
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Mon May 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Tugger wrote:
Just to acknowledge, Pence is now admitting he should have worn a mask while visiting the Mayo clinic. Good.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/vp-pence- ... -have-worn

Tugg


The amount of European and American expats not wearing masks in Hong Kong caused quite a furor...

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... -hong-kong
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11259
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Mon May 04, 2020 10:43 pm

I think Joe Scarborough has penned an appropriate penning on Trump's behavior.

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/05/scar ... D=ref_fark

And isn't it pathetic how instead of working to limit the deaths, Trump just raises his estimate while working to open the economy and attack his perceived enemies from his warped point of view.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 am

PixelPilot wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Yet another protest leader - who has been spending her time out on the streets with her fellow idiots - has been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.

It almost seems... infectious...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-north-carolina-protests-against-stay-at-home-has-coronavirus/ar-BB13hSx3?li=BBnb7Kz


;)


You do understand that ultimately most people will get it right?
Probably millions more already have it and will never know they did.
Vaccine at this time is just wishful thinking. No guarantee it will work.
As long as hospitals have beds that's where the line flattens. We move forward until it goes up again.

If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in.
It is that simple.


So, first of all, you just want fits and starts. Letting everyone do what they want then quarantine until the curve flattens then let everyone out then quarantine. Also, this notion of If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in is the same as "work until you die to save the economy" that the MAGA fans now demand. The sick and twisted nauseating "work will set you free" signs seen at the "open (insert state here) now" rallies. Where white men were allowed to carry weapons and scream in the face of police. Because blue lives no longer matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/auschwi ... lly-2020-5
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/05/04/holo ... -capitols/
https://www.thenorthstar.com/adl-michig ... -and-hate/

This is one time I will gladly separate MAGA into two groups. There are a majority of MAGA who will follow their dear orange leader off the cliff. Then, there are those who claim to follow MAGA who follow this "work will set you free" are in the small minority. And they should be called out and separated.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 am

seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Yet another protest leader - who has been spending her time out on the streets with her fellow idiots - has been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.

It almost seems... infectious...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-north-carolina-protests-against-stay-at-home-has-coronavirus/ar-BB13hSx3?li=BBnb7Kz


;)


You do understand that ultimately most people will get it right?
Probably millions more already have it and will never know they did.
Vaccine at this time is just wishful thinking. No guarantee it will work.
As long as hospitals have beds that's where the line flattens. We move forward until it goes up again.

If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in.
It is that simple.


So, first of all, you just want fits and starts. Letting everyone do what they want then quarantine until the curve flattens then let everyone out then quarantine. Also, this notion of If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in is the same as "work until you die to save the economy" that the MAGA fans now demand. The sick and twisted nauseating "work will set you free" signs seen at the "open (insert state here) now" rallies. Where white men were allowed to carry weapons and scream in the face of police. Because blue lives no longer matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/auschwi ... lly-2020-5
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/05/04/holo ... -capitols/
https://www.thenorthstar.com/adl-michig ... -and-hate/

This is one time I will gladly separate MAGA into two groups. There are a majority of MAGA who will follow their dear orange leader off the cliff. Then, there are those who claim to follow MAGA who follow this "work will set you free" are in the small minority. And they should be called out and separated.


Work sets you free? Y'know what that means in German, where it was displayed? That place many neo Nazis said did not even exist.
It might be a surprise that the major US Nazi movement is not based in the South, it's Michigan;
https://www.adl.org/resources/backgroun ... list-front

Some of Trump's mob that included 'some very fine people'.
(He might as well gone to Arlington that day, found some graves of US soldiers who fell in the European theater and pissed on them).
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 7:56 am

Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Kno
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 1:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Yet another protest leader - who has been spending her time out on the streets with her fellow idiots - has been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.

It almost seems... infectious...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-north-carolina-protests-against-stay-at-home-has-coronavirus/ar-BB13hSx3?li=BBnb7Kz


;)


You do understand that ultimately most people will get it right?
Probably millions more already have it and will never know they did.
Vaccine at this time is just wishful thinking. No guarantee it will work.
As long as hospitals have beds that's where the line flattens. We move forward until it goes up again.

If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in.
It is that simple.


So, first of all, you just want fits and starts. Letting everyone do what they want then quarantine until the curve flattens then let everyone out then quarantine. Also, this notion of If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in is the same as "work until you die to save the economy" that the MAGA fans now demand. The sick and twisted nauseating "work will set you free" signs seen at the "open (insert state here) now" rallies. Where white men were allowed to carry weapons and scream in the face of police. Because blue lives no longer matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/auschwi ... lly-2020-5
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/05/04/holo ... -capitols/
https://www.thenorthstar.com/adl-michig ... -and-hate/

This is one time I will gladly separate MAGA into two groups. There are a majority of MAGA who will follow their dear orange leader off the cliff. Then, there are those who claim to follow MAGA who follow this "work will set you free" are in the small minority. And they should be called out and separated.


Side note on seeing something stupid, and this has nothing to do with the virus.

I saw a blue lives matter sticker on a car the other day. Sickening.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure! https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'

I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:



Or maybe Mike Pence failed to pray hard enough for them...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Kno wrote:
seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

You do understand that ultimately most people will get it right?
Probably millions more already have it and will never know they did.
Vaccine at this time is just wishful thinking. No guarantee it will work.
As long as hospitals have beds that's where the line flattens. We move forward until it goes up again.

If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in.
It is that simple.


So, first of all, you just want fits and starts. Letting everyone do what they want then quarantine until the curve flattens then let everyone out then quarantine. Also, this notion of If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in is the same as "work until you die to save the economy" that the MAGA fans now demand. The sick and twisted nauseating "work will set you free" signs seen at the "open (insert state here) now" rallies. Where white men were allowed to carry weapons and scream in the face of police. Because blue lives no longer matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/auschwi ... lly-2020-5
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/05/04/holo ... -capitols/
https://www.thenorthstar.com/adl-michig ... -and-hate/

This is one time I will gladly separate MAGA into two groups. There are a majority of MAGA who will follow their dear orange leader off the cliff. Then, there are those who claim to follow MAGA who follow this "work will set you free" are in the small minority. And they should be called out and separated.


Side note on seeing something stupid, and this has nothing to do with the virus.

I saw a blue lives matter sticker on a car the other day. Sickening.


The whole reason behind "blue lives matter" was in response to police shooting unarmed minorities and simply talking to or ignoring white weapons carrying people. That is why some of us think blue lives matter is a joke. Just like "all lives matter" is a joke. And that is all I will say on that.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 23905
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Not stupid, but something clever that was possible due to the covid reduction in air travel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgppNdSEAag

TL;DR: Dude figures out traffic is low and ATC not busy so he asks for clearance to do low passes at EWR, LGA and JFK and is granted permission for such...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Revelation wrote:
Not stupid, but something clever that was possible due to the covid reduction in air travel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgppNdSEAag

TL;DR: Dude figures out traffic is low and ATC not busy so he asks for clearance to do low passes at EWR, LGA and JFK and is granted permission for such...


That’s really cool! :D
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 pm

On Saturday I watched somebody do a full stop landing, taxiback, and takeoff from LAX - in a Cessna 172, at 12:30 in the afternoon.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 23905
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Newark727 wrote:
On Saturday I watched somebody do a full stop landing, taxiback, and takeoff from LAX - in a Cessna 172, at 12:30 in the afternoon.

My goodness, if there was film it would go viral!

Think of all the people who have flown C172 bugsmashers and have dreamed of doing such a thing!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
Newark727
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 05, 2020 10:20 pm

Revelation wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
On Saturday I watched somebody do a full stop landing, taxiback, and takeoff from LAX - in a Cessna 172, at 12:30 in the afternoon.

My goodness, if there was film it would go viral!

Think of all the people who have flown C172 bugsmashers and have dreamed of doing such a thing!


Oh I'm sure there is. I know how people think around here.
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 am

Back those those anti lockdown types, what a surprise!

A 53-year-old man who was helping to plan armed protests against social distancing in Colorado is facing federal charges after the FBI found four pipe bombs in his home last Friday.

Bradley Bunn apparently caught the attention of authorities when he was promoting an armed rally against Colorado’s stay-at-home order on social media, ABC News reported.


Trumpists and their ways.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18055
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 am

GDB wrote:
Back those those anti lockdown types, what a surprise!

A 53-year-old man who was helping to plan armed protests against social distancing in Colorado is facing federal charges after the FBI found four pipe bombs in his home last Friday.

Bradley Bunn apparently caught the attention of authorities when he was promoting an armed rally against Colorado’s stay-at-home order on social media, ABC News reported.


Trumpists and their ways.

Very fine people. Always loads of swastikas, nooses, and pro slavery flags when Trump's very fine people show up but I'm sure it's a coincidence.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
Kno
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 am

seb146 wrote:
Kno wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So, first of all, you just want fits and starts. Letting everyone do what they want then quarantine until the curve flattens then let everyone out then quarantine. Also, this notion of If you are in the high risk bracket then just stay quarantined. Well unless you can't cause bills are creeping in is the same as "work until you die to save the economy" that the MAGA fans now demand. The sick and twisted nauseating "work will set you free" signs seen at the "open (insert state here) now" rallies. Where white men were allowed to carry weapons and scream in the face of police. Because blue lives no longer matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/auschwi ... lly-2020-5
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/05/04/holo ... -capitols/
https://www.thenorthstar.com/adl-michig ... -and-hate/

This is one time I will gladly separate MAGA into two groups. There are a majority of MAGA who will follow their dear orange leader off the cliff. Then, there are those who claim to follow MAGA who follow this "work will set you free" are in the small minority. And they should be called out and separated.


Side note on seeing something stupid, and this has nothing to do with the virus.

I saw a blue lives matter sticker on a car the other day. Sickening.


The whole reason behind "blue lives matter" was in response to police shooting unarmed minorities and simply talking to or ignoring white weapons carrying people. That is why some of us think blue lives matter is a joke. Just like "all lives matter" is a joke. And that is all I will say on that.


I agree with that.

From my perspective the glaring issues with blue lives matter and all lives matter are:

1. By saying black lives matter nobody suggests that other lives don’t, black lives have particularly been undermined and black lives have historically been in a line of fire (figuratively and literally) in America throughout our history it continues. All lives matter comes from those who can’t comprehend this obvious fact, and only serves to disregard injustices against black people.

2. Having a blue life is a choice, you choose to be a police officer and are choosing to engage in potentially dangerous situations and put your life on the line to protect people. Historically police have not been treated like they don’t matter. Being black however, is not a choice.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 5:08 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
GDB wrote:
Back those those anti lockdown types, what a surprise!

A 53-year-old man who was helping to plan armed protests against social distancing in Colorado is facing federal charges after the FBI found four pipe bombs in his home last Friday.

Bradley Bunn apparently caught the attention of authorities when he was promoting an armed rally against Colorado’s stay-at-home order on social media, ABC News reported.


Trumpists and their ways.

Very fine people. Always loads of swastikas, nooses, and pro slavery flags when Trump's very fine people show up but I'm sure it's a coincidence.


Republicans in "coastal elite states" are demanding to their respective governors that their state "reopen" (like they was ever closed) and some are even suing thinking there were laws in place or something. But, I would bet anything that WHEN infection rates climb, hospitalization rates climb, death rates climb in these states, all from covid-19, these same people making these demands will turn around and blame their Democratic governors, the fake media, Obama, Pelosi, Biden, anyone that is not themselves. That is all they ever do. The party of personal responsibility blames everyone else when things go wrong.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
airhansa
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 5:14 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
On the other hand, while everybody is crunching numbers on Covid, no one seems to bother to quantify the human cost these extreme measures will have.


Considering the fact that deciding life/health vs. Economy is part of the day2day business of governments your are almost certainly wrong, and it was considered at great length. That is fairly flat out evident by governments implenting those steps pretty late, and those that acted right away did so with less economic damage and far more successful. You better come up with a solid hypothesis why that trend shouldn't hold, and at what death toll exactly that would turn around.

It would rather appear that many governments underestimated the cost of letting life largely continue at first.

Best regards
Thomas


You overlook that most of East Asia didn't go under lockdown until AFTER the pandemic started in Europe. And even up till now, only a handful of countries in South East Asia and Central China have been under lockdown. Yet none of those countries have seen infections on the scale that the West has - and certainly not before the pandemic started in Europe.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11259
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Wed May 06, 2020 6:07 pm

The Trump campaign has chosen to use some Gun's n Roses music covers at their New Campaign rallies.

Here is am interesting choice considering Trump's push to open the economy.

https://youtu.be/KzRhcjOG1es


Wonder how Sir Paul views this?

Also, notice how the unmasked Trump is shouting over the newly made masks.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 am

airhansa wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
On the other hand, while everybody is crunching numbers on Covid, no one seems to bother to quantify the human cost these extreme measures will have.


Considering the fact that deciding life/health vs. Economy is part of the day2day business of governments your are almost certainly wrong, and it was considered at great length. That is fairly flat out evident by governments implenting those steps pretty late, and those that acted right away did so with less economic damage and far more successful. You better come up with a solid hypothesis why that trend shouldn't hold, and at what death toll exactly that would turn around.

It would rather appear that many governments underestimated the cost of letting life largely continue at first.

Best regards
Thomas


You overlook that most of East Asia didn't go under lockdown until AFTER the pandemic started in Europe. And even up till now, only a handful of countries in South East Asia and Central China have been under lockdown. Yet none of those countries have seen infections on the scale that the West has - and certainly not before the pandemic started in Europe.


Countries with lots of Chinese travelers, or European Travelers, or US travelers closed down at pretty logical times. My GF has decided to take a teacher position in Thailand three years ago, and they have been locked down in and around Bangkok quite good for a while now.

You may also want to check how much testing which countries are doing: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

If you chose not to test, of don´t have the money or infrastructure to do so, you end up looking pretty good on all those Covid Trackers. Thailand is doing pretty fine on those for example. They did even less testing than the US.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 am

More Trump supporters blocking hospitals intimidating medics, in a state already where very non essential places have or soon will re-open and it also happens to be a state where the rise in new Covid cases is one of the highest;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJU7FONhtI

Some of the idiots are wearing rags over their faces, since many of them think it's a fake virus, presumably that is to hide themselves from investigation? They are shameless so planning criminal activity?
(Of course to rational people they are in effect doing that already).
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2358
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 7:21 am

scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:


The funniest part is, they have no problem calling the Democrats sinners and fake Catholics as they did to Nancy Pelosi, but the president has broken all 10 commandments. The GOP asking me to prey is like Satan telling me we should follow the way of God.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 8:06 am

GDB wrote:
Some of the idiots are wearing rags over their faces, since many of them think it's a fake virus, presumably that is to hide themselves from investigation? They are shameless so planning criminal activity?
(Of course to rational people they are in effect doing that already).


there might be protesters that take the virus seriously, and only disagree with some of the lock down measures, or how they are implemented/enforced.

Since i was out essentially for the first time in two month for things other than work and groceries and i had Lunch outside, at some outside style Bistro. They have a couple of tables, outside, and enough room to place them 20 or more feet apart since they have a nice meadow, yet i wasn´t allowed to use one of those tables, so i had my lunch 20 feet away on a park bench that was just off their premise. That doesn´t make all that much sense to them, or to me either, and i don´t take the virus lightly at all.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am

casinterest wrote:
The Trump campaign has chosen to use some Gun's n Roses music covers at their New Campaign rallies.

Here is am interesting choice considering Trump's push to open the economy.

https://youtu.be/KzRhcjOG1es


Wonder how Sir Paul views this?

Also, notice how the unmasked Trump is shouting over the newly made masks.


I just assumed that was a worker trolling the President or a delicious coincidence?

Not only did he shout over the masks, the other person handled one to show Trump how they work, and then tossed it back into the bin. That's some grade A hygiene right there.

I love how the guy actually making the masks just kind of blows the President off.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11259
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

NWAESC wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The Trump campaign has chosen to use some Gun's n Roses music covers at their New Campaign rallies.

Here is am interesting choice considering Trump's push to open the economy.

https://youtu.be/KzRhcjOG1es


Wonder how Sir Paul views this?

Also, notice how the unmasked Trump is shouting over the newly made masks.


I just assumed that was a worker trolling the President or a delicious coincidence?

Not only did he shout over the masks, the other person handled one to show Trump how they work, and then tossed it back into the bin. That's some grade A hygiene right there.

I love how the guy actually making the masks just kind of blows the President off.


Apparently it is part of his campaign soundtrack.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 3:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The Trump campaign has chosen to use some Gun's n Roses music covers at their New Campaign rallies.

Here is am interesting choice considering Trump's push to open the economy.

https://youtu.be/KzRhcjOG1es


Wonder how Sir Paul views this?

Also, notice how the unmasked Trump is shouting over the newly made masks.


I just assumed that was a worker trolling the President or a delicious coincidence?

Not only did he shout over the masks, the other person handled one to show Trump how they work, and then tossed it back into the bin. That's some grade A hygiene right there.

I love how the guy actually making the masks just kind of blows the President off.


Apparently it is part of his campaign soundtrack.


... and I have the feeling part of plenty future ads against him.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 7:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
GDB wrote:
Some of the idiots are wearing rags over their faces, since many of them think it's a fake virus, presumably that is to hide themselves from investigation? They are shameless so planning criminal activity?
(Of course to rational people they are in effect doing that already).


there might be protesters that take the virus seriously, and only disagree with some of the lock down measures, or how they are implemented/enforced.

Since i was out essentially for the first time in two month for things other than work and groceries and i had Lunch outside, at some outside style Bistro. They have a couple of tables, outside, and enough room to place them 20 or more feet apart since they have a nice meadow, yet i wasn´t allowed to use one of those tables, so i had my lunch 20 feet away on a park bench that was just off their premise. That doesn´t make all that much sense to them, or to me either, and i don´t take the virus lightly at all.

best regards
Thomas


I was just reminded of something from GDB's post:

Weren't anti fascist protesters in Portland called cowards and many other names for covering their faces when they threw that milkshake at that one guy that one time? And now MAGA protesters covering their faces blocking emergency workers and carrying guns and racist flags are patriots? How quickly times change......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
speedygonzales
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Thu May 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Ignorance kills. :tombstone:
 
User avatar
DL717
Topic Author
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am

scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:


.02% of the population. Perspective.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12871
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 8:29 am

DL717 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:


.02% of the population. Perspective.


6% of the known infected ~1.2 Million death till herd immunity. Perspective.

For another perspective:

South Korea: 0.02% of the Population ... an order of magnitude better, despite almost double the SK <-> PRC travel. Competent government matters, the difference between "its a Hoax" and "we better take this serious" is very, very obvious.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
DL717
Topic Author
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:


.02% of the population. Perspective.


6% of the known infected ~1.2 Million death till herd immunity. Perspective.

For another perspective:

South Korea: 0.02% of the Population ... an order of magnitude better, despite almost double the SK <-> PRC travel. Competent government matters, the difference between "its a Hoax" and "we better take this serious" is very, very obvious.

best regards
Thomas


So as many people that die in a car wreck in the US. Meanwhile, 15% of employable people on economic life support on the verge of losing everything. That impacts about 7 percent of the population and growing. How many will die then?
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 3:38 pm

DL717 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Mike Pence has the cure!

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/03/mike ... s-millions
Mike Pence On COVID-19: 'With The Prayers Of Millions Of Americans We're Going To Get Through This'


I guess those 70,000 dead Americans didn't pray hard enough. :sarcastic:


.02% of the population. Perspective.


In the week it took you to reply, another 12,000 dead. Perspective.

DL717 wrote:
So as many people that die in a car wreck in the US. Meanwhile, 15% of employable people on economic life support on the verge of losing everything. That impacts about 7 percent of the population and growing. How many will die then?


So should states have done nothing? How many more would have died then? That would likely have had a far bigger impact.

Anyway, the on-topic part was the stupidity to think that praying would fix it. :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10382
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Apparently Boris Johnson's speech to the UK was among the very stupid things observed during COVID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZbrdWNVZdo

And that speech has begat responses such as this:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/uk/matt- ... index.html

:spin:
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
GDB
Posts: 13661
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Stupid things observed during COVID

Tue May 12, 2020 4:38 pm

I should not be surprised having been, to put it very mildly, never a fan of Alexander dePiffel Boris Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oronavirus

Johnson studied the Classics (really useful in the modern world), it is ironic that for many watching that world salad, the response would have been 'it's all Greek to me'.

He is there for two reasons, the First Past The Post electoral system, the Tories got 43% and an 80 seat majority in December, with a leader of the opposition who was hopeless, also aided by a staggeringly inept leader of the 3rd party, she lost her seat in a bit of justice.

In the near virtual Covid House Of Commons, without all his MP's and ministers to jeer and drown out questions, he's lost, that and having a much more capable leader of The Opposition to contend with now.
Other European countries are aghast at how this has been handled in the UK, it's a massive challenge for the most competent leaders, for us, especially in England, the worst PM at the worst time.
Only Trumped, in fairness to Johnson hugely so, by Trump and that berk in Brazil. They are on another level, even so, it's shaming.

I cannot help when thinking of those who were fans of 'Boris' and voted for him, many because he seemed 'a bit of a laugh', of the final lines Charlton Heston yelled in the original Planet Of The Apes film.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: b4thefall, JJJ, tu204 and 61 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos