Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

Updated: Navy may reinstate fired Captain of Navy Carrier

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Listen As Sailors Yell Profanities At Trump’s Acting Navy Secretary As He Slammed Fired Captain: “He Was Trying To Help Us!”

https://politicaltribune.org/listen-as- ... o-help-us/

This action, although detested by older vets/military associated types, is the calling card that says , 'yes, the military does evolve'.

I tried to explain why this was happening among new and current rank and file across all armed service branches.

This kind of thing was completely unheard of when I was in all the way up to the 2000s Gulf Attack II.

All those in before that accepted that we were cogs for military no questions asked. No questions, no law suits..do what you are told/ordered.

Some idiots even voiced how my 'Chelsea Manning' paradigm was the a harbinger of what's to come, well...now it's here.

This digital age of young adults are more in touch with themselves any of us ever were. The see themselves as soldiers, yes...but not your fathers soldier.
When they see something wrong, they are going to 'say something, seek action any way they can within the lanes of respect but not necessarily a linear chain of command.

Some will scream 'that's dangerous, a threat to military order..' well maybe, but maybe not.

More soldiers than ever are paying attention to how they are treated, valued and how they are used, what is acceptable (female assaults) and what is not.

Were I in service of a chicken-shit coward CIC as trump, I'd be dishonorably discharged or in Leavenworth after just a couple of his tough guy parading around in a flight jacket clown show.

..and it seems these kids today know good leadership from the bad and are taking the military to a whole other level, one in touch with their generation.

Laugh at Chelsea Manning all you want, that kind of ignorance will land you along side those who now feel awful about their cheap shots and ridicule of Alan Turing after history showed them who the real fool was. Manning threw the volley are correcting the wrongs allowed for far too long.

But the younger generation of soldiers will reform the ancient tried and true into a more efficient and smarter military and this is how it is done, they are sentient beings too
and seeing a CIC not standing up for them is a cause for concern.

US Navy Child Killer Psychopath Eddie Gallagher on one end and USS Theodore Roosevelt Capt. Brett Crozier (speaking up for his troops) on the other end...

...and look who trump stands up for? The Killer Thug Navy Seal.

Not the good guy. They see that and can do the math, very easy math.

The American public can learn from these kids to smell a bad egg when they whiff/see one. They know now without question trump doesn't give a damn about them.

BN747
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated after merging threads
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GalaxyFlyer

Re: LISTEN-Sailors Yell Profanities At Trump’s Acting Navy Secretary As He Slammed Fired Captain: “He Was Trying To Help

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 pm

This digital age of young adults are more in touch with themselves any of us ever were

And that’s all they’re in touch with—they’re selfish, oafish selves. Didn’t they read the part about Service Before
Self, which is bedrock military ethic?

frmrCapCadet

Re: LISTEN-Sailors Yell Profanities At Trump’s Acting Navy Secretary As He Slammed Fired Captain: “He Was Trying To Help

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:28 pm

I think the political appointees and CIC prefer draft dodgers to those who serve honorably.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:31 pm

The captain knew the consequences of what he was doing. If he was ok with it, why shouldn't the rest be? Most rules are in place for a good reason. When you violate them, bad outcomes usually follow. Like the Air Force pilot who thought it would be cute to exceed the bank angle of the B-52 and crashed it in front of everyone at the airshow.

Tugger

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Bones spurs are nothing to laugh about. Just look how they cripple someone.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aaron747

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
The captain knew the consequences of what he was doing. If he was ok with it, why shouldn't the rest be? Most rules are in place for a good reason. When you violate them, bad outcomes usually follow. Like the Air Force pilot who thought it would be cute to exceed the bank angle of the B-52 and crashed it in front of everyone at the airshow.

SOP flight safety limitations are a different animal from chain of command protocols, which affect promotion and reputation more than staying alive.

In any case very odd to use consequences in mention of Colonel Macho’s airshow disaster - he literally was not disciplined multiple times and kept his command despite putting multiple crews and bystanders in danger over a period of several years. Perhaps you ought to read the USAF report into how it all went down.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

frmrCapCadet

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:24 am

What PR idiot thought it would be a good idea for Modley to go in person to trash the popular former CO in front of the crew - Trump?

Wonder what branch of the military Modley served? Or was he another draft dodger?
Last edited by frmrCapCadet on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 am

Modley's presentation was audio, not in person. Complete with foul language and gratuitous insults. It turns out even Trump may have been appalled.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 am

I just read Moody’s “remarks”; he should be fired and bunked with Crozier to enjoy a bout of C19. What an idiot and doing a job that should have been an admiral’s one.

Acting, but not an Oscar performance.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:16 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Modley's presentation was audio, not in person. Complete with foul language and gratuitous insults. It turns out even Trump may have been appalled.

What a terrible manager, not to mention class Alpha shitbag.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
What PR idiot thought it would be a good idea for Modley to go in person to trash the popular former CO in front of the crew - Trump?

Wonder what branch of the military Modley served? Or was he another draft dodger?

Modly did 7 years as a chopper pilot in USN before getting into long term corporate consulting.

alfa164

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 am

Aaron747 wrote:

The only good to come out of all of this: the current administration's attitude towards the individual men and women who are the heart of the military has been exposed, and I suspect their support for the Trump ticket is dwindling as we write.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 am

alfa164 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The only good to come out of all of this: the current administration's attitude towards the individual men and women who are the heart of the military has been exposed, and I suspect their support for the Trump ticket is dwindling as we write.

That's an additional point, the military, a perennial conservative stalwart supporting every president prior the Fool on the Hill. They deferred to Reagan, Bush, Bush jr without question (when they should have questioned some critical areas, but they did not)...but under this idiot man, it is only smart to ask yourself 'does this leader value me/us'..and that's clearly being called into question by active and retired (esp. retired officers of all branches - they can't believe the siege their ranks are under from pure unmitigated ignorance).

Let alone they see this so called president 'hiring and taking advice about them' from Mar-a-Lago grifters who's only concern is how can they score profits from either selling to the military or cheating them via fraudulent/shady contracting.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Revelation

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:38 am

Aaron747 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Another one of orange man's "best people"....
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

alfa164

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:43 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
For a more thoughtful response from a Navy CO, retired, https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-failure- ... _lead_pos5

How about these two thoughtful responses from the men who were probably that CO's superiors:

“I am appalled at the content of his address to the crew,” retired Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, said in a telephone interview, referring to Mr. Modly. Mr. Modly, Admiral Mullen said, “has become a vehicle for the president. He basically has completely undermined, throughout the T.R. situation, the uniformed leadership of the Navy and the military leadership in general.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-secretary-roosevelt-crozier.html

"I have been a ship captain, a commodore in charge of a group of destroyers, and an admiral in command of a carrier strike group with a nuclear aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise. In the course of my career, I made many hard choices at sea in both peace and combat — but I never faced the kind of hard choice that the captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Brett Crozier, just had to make. Faced with the coronavirus sweeping through his 5,000-sailor crew, he reached out to his chain of command and requested permission to abort his assigned mission patrolling the Pacific and South China Sea, and come to all stop at Guam to disinfect his ship and save his crew from unnecessary medical risks."

"Having felt many times the surge of pride that goes with leading a ship into a deployment, I cannot imagine how wrenching the feeling of signing that letter must have been for the captain. But he made the right choice, so I was deeply surprised to learn that Navy has removed him. We need to more about that decision, given the captain’s obvious concern for his crew."

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-04-01/an-aircraft-carrier-is-no-place-to-fight-coronavirus

rfields5421

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
What PR idiot thought it would be a good idea for Modley to go in person to trash the popular former CO

No PR idiot thought of that. They are not that stupid. When I was in the Navy we had two very 'active' Sec Nav's - John Lehman and Jim Webb. Both were well respected within the ranks for their active duty service. Lehman's USNR service was not well thought of, but that was a different era where Reserve or National Guard were never expected to be called to actually serve in a significant role.

Neither of those would have tried to directly address the men of a command after removing the CO. I remember Webb being asked about a situation where a CO was removed at a Navy League luncheon in Dallas. He said that restoring the leadership of the ship was the responsibility of the higher level command.

"Certainly the CO still has some supporters on the ship. It would be completely stupid for some 'civilian' in DOD, even me, to talk to the crew. A complete disregard for the chain of command. Even with my background, to dare to talk to a Marine platoon. My job when talking to front line sailors and marines is to tell what a great job they are doing under adverse conditions."

Modley did do one 'good' thing with his talk. He will NEVER, EVER be confirmed by the Senate for a leadership position in DOD. Maybe not fired publicly, but $10 says he chooses to end his government career in a couple months.
Not all who wander are lost.

WarRI1

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 am

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/acting- ... d=70001478

This is just in, this man who insulted this Honorable Navy Captain apologizes for his less than honorable words. So typical of this time in the USA, a lack of honor and honesty.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

KFTG

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:26 am

"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people who don't get captured." - the President of the United States

KFTG

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Acting, but not an Oscar performance.

We are 3.5 years into this clusterf*ck, and I am curious as to how you feel about having an "acting" secretary of *anyting* at this point? In particular, given our current national calamity. Could it be, perhaps, that "the best people" are not interested in having their lives destroyed by this President*?

WarRI1

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:31 am

KFTG wrote:
"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people who don't get captured." - the President of the United States

Words of wisdom from a Draft Dodger. Imagine living with being called Captain Bone Spurs and putting on this brave face and his Generals.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:49 am

KFTG wrote:

Musings of a weak and insecure man desperate to be seen as tough at any cost. $100 says he was never even in a scrap in boys' school or college.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:
KFTG wrote:

Musings of a weak and insecure man desperate to be seen as tough at any cost. $100 says he was never even in a scrap in boys' school or college.

Oh, I'd bet my life on that...that's how certain I am he is the coward's coward. He displays all the calling card of a true chicken shit...

Trump says relieved Navy captain shouldn’t have sent the COVID-19 warning letter: ‘It shows weakness’
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/trump- ... -weakness/

...you see? Only a punk bitch would state that publicly. A punk bitch only as along as he has protection....take that away and watch him become a effeminate church mouse.

Cmdr Crozier packs more bravado in one of his butt hairs than trump Plus his two chump offspring sons combined....then again, so does Chelsea Manning or Chelsea Clinton.

BN747

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 am

BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
KFTG wrote:

Oh, I'd bet my life on that...that's how certain I am he is the coward's coward. He displays all the calling card of a true chicken shit...

Trump says relieved Navy captain shouldn’t have sent the COVID-19 warning letter: ‘It shows weakness’

...you see? Only a punk bitch would state that publicly. A punk bitch only as along as he has protection....take that away and watch him become a effeminate church mouse.

Cmdr Crozier packs more bravado in one of his butt hairs than trump Plus his two chump offspring sons....then again, so does Chelsea Manning or Chelsea Clinton.

BN747

He is far more effeminate than he could ever admit. No man secure with himself spends an hour blow-drying and setting their hair or whatever was reported for his coiffing routine. Or tapes their necktie together. Or uses an umbrella in a light sprinkle. Or whines incessantly over petty details when upstaged by real professionals in a room. Also never heard of a major millionaire without either a. a hot race car he drives himself, b. a pilot's license, or c. a decent yacht. He has none of the above because he's afraid to get his hands dirty. I could go on...

rfields5421

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:32 am

It is an issue that the White House, as well as the last two Presidents, have had trouble getting appointments through the Senate.

While W and Obama had some issues with the one issue crowd, it seems this President cannot choose people with solid records who do not have either past shady financial dealings or just a disrespect of the idea that laws apply to everyone.

It seems the only vetting is political support for the President. The man seems incapable of putting competence, experience, ahead of political activity.

Yeah, this guy is a graduate of the Naval Academy, and flew helo's for a few years. What was he, O-3? Unlikely he made O-4.

Heck I was a 20-year Senior Chief (E-8) I'm smart enough to know that I know absolutely nothing of what is required to do the SecNav job. This fool should also know that. At least he should have know that he should at least talk top the top admirals before doing the firing - and I don't fault him for that. Webb and Lehman both said it was a very steep learning curve.

But I'm sure those admirals would have told him that challenging the crew over the Captain's competence was incredibly stupid..

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:54 am

rfields5421 wrote:
It is an issue that the White House, as well as the last two Presidents, have had trouble getting appointments through the Senate.

While W and Obama had some issues with the one issue crowd, it seems this President cannot choose people with solid records who do not have either past shady financial dealings or just a disrespect of the idea that laws apply to everyone.

It seems the only vetting is political support for the President. The man seems incapable of putting competence, experience, ahead of political activity.

Yeah, this guy is a graduate of the Naval Academy, and flew helo's for a few years. What was he, O-3? Unlikely he made O-4.

Heck I was a 20-year Senior Chief (E-8) I'm smart enough to know that I know absolutely nothing of what is required to do the SecNav job. This fool should also know that. At least he should have know that he should at least talk top the top admirals before doing the firing - and I don't fault him for that. Webb and Lehman both said it was a very steep learning curve.

But I'm sure those admirals would have told him that challenging the crew over the Captain's competence was incredibly stupid..

He can't know..he's a Mar-a-Lago pal's personal pick for the job, like 90% of his choices, that is all that's required, a Mar-a-Lago golf buddy contact...case closed.

BN747

ArchGuy1

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:06 am

Trump needs to be impeached a second time and this time convicted, because his Navy cabinet is more concerned with morale that the health and safety of the crew onboard their ships.

seb146

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 am

If this were about ignoring commands during war, that is one thing. This is trying to keep the crew of a major aircraft carrier safe and healthy. How are we supposed to bomb Iran when every crew member is sick with zero hope of controlling the sickness?

What order did the Republican administration give to Crozier that Crozier deliberately disobeyed? I guess it is stupid and naive to look out for the health and safety of those under you. Kinda like what the current head of the Republican party is doing........
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

alfa164

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Trump needs to be impeached a second time and this time convicted, because his Navy cabinet is more concerned with morale that the health and safety of the crew onboard their ships.

Concerned with morale? He just undermined the moral of every enlisted man in the Navy. Not to mention the CO's...

He is concerned with saving face... and kissing his bosses ass... that bigly, beautiful ass...

:roll:

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:06 am

alfa164 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Concerned with morale? He just undermined the moral of every enlisted man in the Navy. Not to mention the CO's...

He is concerned with saving face... and kissing his bosses ass... that bigly, beautiful ass...

You mentioned the one thing more important than that Mar-a-Lago contact, this butt kiss..that one opens the door to all things possible within a presidential realm.

..and I know you added 'beautiful' you employed his favorite adjective/(-ly) adverb...but the last thing anyone wants to see is him in boxers and definitely not without - you know it's ugly flabby pasty scary and vomity (BN747 term).

But if one has no dignity, integrity or self-respect like Pence, and 500 other Admin/Congreesmen enablers, you have no problem kissing the warts on it.
Butt the kiss is necessary.

Story breaking, his invested Mar-a-Lago pals are those behind his pushing of the non-FDA approved Choloroquin drug that he would not allow Dr. Fauci to address or speak to.

I said it before and I'' say it again, a cabal behind him are pulling out the stops trying profit off the entire Coronavirus plague - from every possible angle. He knew about 70 days before the gov't announcement. Meaning he had 2+ months to position whatever/whomever where they needed to be in order to score fast cash off the backs of the anticipated deaths that we see now.

A shameless American president with a love of nothing ...but money.

BN747

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 am

BN747 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

You mentioned the one thing more important than that Mar-a-Lago contact, this butt kiss..that one opens the door to all things possible within a presidential realm.

..and I know you added 'beautiful' you employed his favorite adjective/(-ly) adverb...but the last thing anyone wants to see is him in boxers and definitely not without - you know it's ugly flabby pasty scary and vomity (BN747 term).

But if one has no dignity, integrity or self-respect like Pence, and 500 other Admin/Congreesmen enablers, you have no problem kissing the warts on it.

Story breaking, his invested Mar-a-Lago pals are those behind his pushing of the non-FDA approved Choloroquin drug that he would not allow Dr. Fauci to address or speak to.

I said it before and I'' say it again, a cabal behind him are pulling out the stops trying profit off the entire Coronavirus plague - from every possible angle. He knew about 70 days before the gov't announcement. Meaning he had 2+ months to position whatever/whomever where they needed to be in order to score fast cash off the backs of the anticipated deaths that we see now.

BN747

An odd disposition for someone who is likely broke on paper when considering ability to pay off all debts. That, not Russian laundering, is why we
never see his taxes. If he were actually worth a lot, he’d be the first to trot the docs out.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

BN747

An odd disposition for someone who is likely broke on paper when considering ability to pay off all debts. That, not Russian laundering, is why we
never see his taxes. If he were actually worth a lot, he’d be the first to trot the docs out.

Correct..that is totally in accurate and tandem with his very public and endless love to boast about any and everything perceived by him as 'good'. He's NEVER quiet about anything positive.

If he had the wealth he lies about, no one could escape his pulling out his tax returns (just as he does with his electoral college map he always has in his coat pocket) and flaunting and boasting about it.

You're right, he's not showing because he's not what he says he his.

Question is 'how air tight is the IRS records' can his appointee work some trump mojo (fraud) into the books to produce numbers we all know he'd be bragging about if he had it.

His 'I'd be making Billions' in the private sector instead of DC...yeah, why weren't you making billions before?

BN747

seahawk

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:59 am

All sailors involved in this must be identified and punished. Their career is over. All officers on the ship deserve to be reprimanded as it shows a serious lack of discipline within the crew.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:38 am

seahawk wrote:
All sailors involved in this must be identified and punished. Their career is over. All officers on the ship deserve to be reprimanded as it shows a serious lack of discipline within the crew.

On the contrary, in the opinion of this taxpayer from a USN family they should be applauded for showing everyone what a shitbag bootlicker this Modly really is.

CitizenJustin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Cmdr Crozier packs more bravado in one of his butt hairs than trump Plus his two chump offspring sons....then again, so does Chelsea Manning or Chelsea Clinton.

BN747

He is far more effeminate than he could ever admit. No man secure with himself spends an hour blow-drying and setting their hair or whatever was reported for his coiffing routine. Or tapes their necktie together. Or uses an umbrella in a light sprinkle. Or whines incessantly over petty details when upstaged by real professionals in a room. Also never heard of a major millionaire without either a. a hot race car he drives himself, b. a pilot's license, or c. a decent yacht. He has none of the above because he's afraid to get his hands dirty. I could go on...

I spend quite a long time getting ready and I’m perfectly secure with myself.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

He reportedly spends at least that long solely on hair, not getting ready in general. He’s a validation hound.

https://www.playboy.com/articles/donald-trump-interview

CitizenJustin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

He reportedly spends at least that long solely on hair, not getting ready in general. He’s a validation hound.

I agree. I’m just saying that a man can take pride or spend time on their appearance and still be secure. Trump is obviously highly insecure though. I would be too if I looked like him.

marcelh

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

On the contrary, in the opinion of this taxpayer from a USN family they should be applauded for showing everyone what a shitbag bootlicker this Modly really is.

Ignore him, he’s just the “house-troll” of this forum

seahawk

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am

marcelh wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

It is just the wrong reaction. They fired the captain for breaking OPSec and then members of the crew leak another speech not aimed at the public to protect him. Considering nobody knows who leaked the original E-Mail, this actually made the position of the Captain worse. And imho the CAG did the right thing by warning the crew to not leak any part of the speech.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
This digital age of young adults are more in touch with themselves any of us ever were

And that’s all they’re in touch with—they’re selfish, oafish selves. Didn’t they read the part about Service Before
Self, which is bedrock military ethic?

That doesn't work today, either the military shapes up and readjusts or they find themselves without the manpower they need for the job they have to do.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 am

seahawk wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It is just the wrong reaction. They fired the captain for breaking OPSec and then members of the crew leak another speech not aimed at the public to protect him. Considering nobody knows who leaked the original E-Mail, this actually made the position of the Captain worse. And imho the CAG did the right thing by warning the crew to not leak any part of the speech.

Earning the trust and respect of subordinates beyond mere chain of command obligation is the natural result of having talented people managers/leaders in a given position.

seahawk

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
marcelh wrote:

Earning the trust and respect of subordinates beyond mere chain of command obligation is the natural result of having talented people managers/leaders in a given position.

Yes and fighting the system requires intelligent tactics. What the Captain did was in the best tradition of a Captain protecting his crew, but what the crew did afterwards, did not help the Captain.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:14 am

seahawk wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Yes and fighting the system requires intelligent tactics. What the Captain did was in the best tradition of a Captain protecting his crew, but what the crew did afterwards, did not help the Captain.

That remains to be seen - now the fly is unzipped and everyone at DoD and Congress knows this acting USN secretary is a petty shitbag.

seahawk

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am

But still you can leak cleverly or not so cleverly. Leak it through the wives and spouses, it takes a few days longer but will achieve the same.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:38 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

I agree. I’m just saying that a man can take pride or spend time on their appearance and still be secure. Trump is obviously highly insecure though. I would be too if I looked like him.

Gay men are the exception to the 'no man should live the bathroom in prep time'...that's a given because it's a whole other culture, I think Aaron meant 'str8 dudes' and that is a centuries old 'dude thing'.

If the corpulent president spent half that 'prep time' on a eliptical, that waist would drop down to a 50"...but those cheeseburgers and fries..

BN747

rfields5421

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
What order did the Republican administration give to Crozier that Crozier deliberately disobeyed? I guess it is stupid and naive to look out for the health and safety of those under you. Kinda like what the current head of the Republican party is doing........

He showed a lack of judgement in 'publishing' his memorandum to so many people, where it was very likely the information would be public.

Command of an aircraft carrier is unlike commanding any other ship. He is running an airport. He has no ability to order any aircraft to do anything. Combat oriented - his sole responsibility is to try to defend the ship from attack - mainly close in point defense. He does not even determine the course of the ship, were it goes. Things like the port visit in Danang or the decision to move the ship to Guam - he provides input, but he does not make the final decision.

With his 3,200 man crew, the CO runs a hotel for almost 2,500 people. Providing food, berthing, sanitation, laundry (laundry on a carrier is a HUGE job), additional services such as barber shops, some small stores for a few items, entertainment, etc. He provides hanger space, storage for supplies - everything from spare tires for aircraft to weapons and fuel. One of his jobs is provide AARF, and ship's damage control. Modern carriers are much more a threat from aircraft accidents than the enemy.

The Carrier Air Wing Commander - usually a Captain (O-6) like the Commanding Officer of the carrier - is responsible for coordinating the squadrons and implement the battle plan if the carrier is an attack position, providing a CAP (Combat Air Patrol to defend the carrier). He is the one who says when flight operations begin and end, coordinated with the ship's CO. He keeps the peace and coordinates mission assignments between the four or five strike fighter squadrons, the AWACS squadron, the electronic warfare squadron, the logistic squadron, and helicopter squadrons.

Most of those squadrons are commanded by Navy Commanders (O-5). They are responsible for making sure their aircraft are ready to fly when needed, pilots trained and briefed, and handle the training of their people, support and maintenance as well flight crews.

An Admiral is the Carrier Strike Group Commander, I believe for the TR it is Rear Admiral Stephen T Koehler. He had overall mission authority for the group which includes the carrier, one or two cruisers and a destroyer squadron, which can be as little as two or as many as four destroyers or similar ships.

He has a lot of responsibility for defending the carrier with the other ships. Carriers are really helpless beasts. Their defensive capabilities are limited to short range what is called point defense. The cruisers are primarily a forward air defense component, the destroyers are a submarine defense component. All have a responsibility to try hard not to shoot down friendly aircraft also trying to defend the carrier.

It is a complicated demanding multi-faceted role to be Commanding Officer of an aircraft carrier. It takes a varied background and a lot of proven excellence to be considered for command of a carrier. Captain Crozier started his Navy carrier as a helicopter pilot flying from destroyers and frigates. Then he became an FA-18 pilot, flying strike missions off the USS Nimitz during 2003. He attended the Naval War College for his masters degree. After a tour as an FA-18 squadron CO, he went to a NATO command in Italy.

He completed a required year plus training in Naval Nuclear Power before a tour as XO of the USS Ronald Reagan, followed by a tour as Commanding Officer of the USS Blue Ridge - which is the at sea host/ home of the three star Commander of Seventh Fleet - and the oldest warship in the US Navy - she will cross 50 years of service in November.

A Commanding Officer has to have a 'broad' carrier because it is a very demanding job, and requires balancing a lot of different requirements, many of which he has no direct ability to command others to accomplish.

During operations, the CO and the Air Wing Commander are in close, less than hourly contact and coordination. In planning, it is the CO, the Air Wing Commander working with and under the Strike Group Commander.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:16 pm

In retrospect the required 'can do' culture of the navy was largely responsible for the Fitzgerald and McCain disasters. We don't need no training, we don't need no maintenance, we don't need no radar, we don't need no spare parts, we don't need no time off like the official manuals say. But we do need coffins and body bags. If you think you need those things you can't be captain on our ships. We just want 'can do'. *

My point blank observation (and here I know more than the admirals over the CO), you can't run a carrier with a raging Covid-19 pandemic below.

* go to the Navy Times and read the story of these disasters, the investigations, and the final reports. It will take about 8 hours.

casinterest

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Anyone else look at all of this and realize that this whole episode has revealed what we all know? The current executive office is not doing a good job with messaging during a crisis, or at all.
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:47 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

He showed a lack of judgement in 'publishing' his memorandum to so many people, where it was very likely the information would be public.

In other words, he knew he would be fired for trying to protect his crew because the leader of the Armed Forces would do nothing but call him names or he would have his crew file complaints against him for doing nothing and allowing them all to get sick and some even die. He was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I think that speaks volumes, don't you?

And, just to point out, there was no order from on high that was given that Crozier disobeyed. Just "well.... he should have done it differently...." But no actual order.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm

Keep in mind this new guy replaced the last guy, who was asked to resign because he wasn't 100% onboard the republicans veneration of a homicidal maniac. Just like Jesus would do!
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

And that’s all they’re in touch with—they’re selfish, oafish selves.

Imagine being a Trump supporter and saying that with a straight face... :roll:
I don't take responsibility at all