Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

afcjets
Topic Author

Re: Relocating to Escape the New Normal

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:33 pm

A few states did not impose stay at home orders but they were mostly irrelevant. Bars, gyms, etc. were ordered to close, restaurants could only offer takeout or delivery, large gatherings were prohibited and most national (non-essential) chains voluntarily closed. The only difference in SC for example was local stores could stay open and things like barber shops, hair salons, etc. However I just learned SD has truly remained open. You can actually go out and have dinner in a restaurant and I think bars are open too. Since reopenings will happen in phases and will likely happen much later and more gradual in hotspots like NY, many people will travel to escape the restrictions, especially the longer this goes on. Some will just go away for the weekend where those with more flexibility and resources might take extended trips or even temporary relocate. Rather than start a new topic, I think it makes more sense to discuss and report that here, and perhaps change the title to include travel, i. e. "Traveling or Relocating to Places With Fewer Closings/Restrictions"

Kent350787

Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am

Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
I don't think this will go on for 18-24 months in the US but if it does, will people (especially young people) move to other parts of the world where life is pretty much the way it was before? What place most resembles what life in the US was like before all the stay at home orders? If you always dreamed of living in an exotic far away place is now a good or bad time to consider it? Will some states rebel more against federal recommendations the longer this goes on and could somewhere like Nebraska or some other random state become a new hotspot because more places are open?

If the US hasn't got it under control, would another country actually let you in? So perhaps, yes, move to another state if you want.

This is a fair point. Although the outbreak appears to have started in China, and Australia has numbers of students, tourists and immigrants from China, US tourists were ou major infection vector for COVID-19.

The sensible choice isfor us to have significant restrictions on major infection countries for some time to come. My state of 6.5 million people has approx. 420 active cases and one new case overnight (with per capita testing still above that of the USA). With NZ, we're on the way to being clear, and are going to have to be careful if we want to maintain that.

I really want to visit family in Boston, but hoping they stay safe is the best thing atm.
S340
J31
F27/F50
Q100/200
E195
146-300
733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789
320/321/332/333/345/359

frmrCapCadet

Sun May 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Res retiring into the country, there is young old, and then old old. Retiring far from hospitals and public transportation is great for the first group. We had been living in a rural area and did 'moreso' for first 15 years of being old. Then it was time to downsize, and I made it a point we must now be close to public transportation should we need it. Close to hospitals? f'get it, now matter what system you are in, you end up going to this medical center for this, that one for that, and oh yes, if you need such and such, the doctor is only in on every other Thursday. Net result - Bremerton for this, downtown Seattle, UW medical center, Seattle VA, Tacoma VA. Read 'center', as center of profit, not as a medical center as to where you go when you are sick.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

zkojq

Sun May 17, 2020 2:55 pm

If you were to follow news from outside the US, you'd know that most of the rest of the developed world has locked down too. Of course in some parts of the World we've managed to control the virus and thus are reopening, but that's not going to incentivise them to reopen borders.

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
I don't think this will go on for 18-24 months in the US but if it does, will people (especially young people) move to other parts of the world where life is pretty much the way it was before? What place most resembles what life in the US was like before all the stay at home orders? If you always dreamed of living in an exotic far away place is now a good or bad time to consider it? Will some states rebel more against federal recommendations the longer this goes on and could somewhere like Nebraska or some other random state become a new hotspot because more places are open?

The places most similar to life in the US that are well suited to those with an interest in the outdoors are Australia and NZ. Both are quite difficult to move to as an American without STEM or IT experience.

Irrelevant. Both countries have the borders firmly closed.

rfields5421 wrote:
The people most impacted but this are not the people you see on this forum, or others. Not even FaceBook.

In the US, they have hourly jobs, mostly part-time, not eligible for unemployment. They are having a hard time find enough money to feed their kids.

Virtual jobs - those level of people are not HURTING. They are inconvenienced. Yes they are worried. Not about survival, but about the entertainment of their life. Holidays, travel, social gatherings, etc.

Some will move, but most do not want wide open spaces with social distancing. They want the excitement and entertainment only possible in largish cities with a lot of people with a lot of disposable income.

Well said and it is indeed those with virtual jobs who are moaning the loudest.
First to fly the 787-9

bhill

Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm

I think the reason folks would move is for their wallets...housing prices drop drastically the farther one moves away from the cities. I do not think politics really factor into it...look at the Californian moving to...Idaho. The thing is, eventually suburbia "grows up" into that city you moved out of...
Carpe Pices

speedbird52

Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am

I never understood the appeal of living in a city. I live in a town a little bit north of Seattle, and I can go into Seattle whenever I want. But besides a few interesting museums that I never have time to visit because I am a full time student today and will be a full time employee tomorrow, and some planespotting: What does Seattle have that a little town in the mountains, or by the seaside, or East of the Cascades doesn't? Homelessness? Stupidly highly priced real estate?

frmrCapCadet

Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Homelessness has snuck up on most medium, small towns, even rural counties in Washington State. If you are working high paid jobs they most likely are downtown or in Bellevue, it is a question of how much 'commute time' you are willing to spend. If you survive beyond driving age can you settle for a bus once an hour, week days only? Friends with 'only' medium/good skill sets realized that the big city valued those skill sets a hell of a lot more than a rural county. I've done all of the options - 450 miles from nowhere to living/ working in the two largest metropolitan areas. Escaping is as much of a state of mind as it is place.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)