Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

The Death of the snow day?

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:06 pm

I just realized something. Schools might not have snow days anymore because every school now has a system in place for remote learning. That would suck for young me.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ltbewr

Re: The Death of the snow day?

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:08 pm

I doubt it, unless a severe, multi-day situation and even then, power lines and internet access could go down.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 pm

Never thought of that! LOL wow would that be the end of an American classic.
I am the Googlizer!!!

fr8mech

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:25 am

stl07 wrote:
I just realized something. Schools might not have snow days anymore because every school now has a system in place for remote learning. That would suck for young me.

We've been doing that here for the past 3 years. In general. the first snow day is a free day, but after that, online school.

The transition from "in-person" school to online school has been relatively painless for students (and parents) in the Louisville Archdiocese schools.

The public schools took a few weeks to put together a program,. but they're up and running. Not really sure what their program looks like.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

einsteinboricua

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 am

Assuming the school can prepare for it (ensuring there's an online platform, notice goes out that school will be closed, students all have internet access), I can see how a snow day could be a thing of the past, unless it's a serious storm (blizzard, ice storm) that causes power to go out.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ChrisKen

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:21 am

Meanwhile, in the Australian outback.........

T18

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:16 am

Florida laughs... "Snow days? We do Hurricane Days"
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

fr8mech

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:53 pm

You know, what’s really getting me wrapped around the axle about this, is the parents’ attitudes.

Our children are being short-changed. They are not getting the education that our taxes or tuition has paid for. Yet, parents are whining that the kids have too much work.

Last week was spring break, and one teacher had the audacity to assign a couple videos for the kids to watch and comment on (WWII and Nazi Germany). Some parents were apoplectic that the kids had “homework” during spring break.

Today was a scheduled “half day” for Good Friday, and some parents were upset that the kids actually had to logon and complete some work.

I’m absolutely befuddled by the attitude.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

stl07
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:43 am

fr8mech wrote:
You know, what’s really getting me wrapped around the axle about this, is the parents’ attitudes.

Our children are being short-changed. They are not getting the education that our taxes or tuition has paid for. Yet, parents are whining that the kids have too much work.

Last week was spring break, and one teacher had the audacity to assign a couple videos for the kids to watch and comment on (WWII and Nazi Germany). Some parents were apoplectic that the kids had “homework” during spring break.

Today was a scheduled “half day” for Good Friday, and some parents were upset that the kids actually had to logon and complete some work.

I’m absolutely befuddled by the attitude.

We always did homework over spring break...
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

afcjets

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:28 pm

fr8mech wrote:

How is that not homework? Spring Break should be a complete break from school.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:34 pm

afcjets wrote:

In a normal situation, yes. But, this is not normal. Everyone is acting like this is normal.

These kids are being short-changed. A disservice is being done to them. My kids have been home since March 7th, and will be home through, at least May 4th.

You can’t tell me that they will have received a quality, or even marginal education.

The teachers are posting ‘optional work” that they can do. There is no optional work in my house. Anything assigned, gets done.

There is no xbox nor movies nor tablet games during a school day. We’re treating any online day, as though it was a normal school day. My only real concession, is that they’re allowed to watch TV, after the work is done, and after 1500.

afcjets

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:18 pm

fr8mech wrote:
afcjets wrote:

In a normal situation, yes. But, this is not normal. Everyone is acting like this is normal.

These kids are being short-changed. A disservice is being done to them. My kids have been home since March 7th, and will be home through, at least May 4th.

You can’t tell me that they will have received a quality, or even marginal education.

The teachers are posting ‘optional work” that they can do. There is no optional work in my house. Anything assigned, gets done.

There is no xbox nor movies nor tablet games during a school day. We’re treating any online day, as though it was a normal school day. My only real concession, is that they’re allowed to watch TV, after the work is done, and after 1500.

That's great if it's optional and you as parent decide they have to do it. If that's the case I don't see why other parents would be upset. I agree they are getting short changed, but not just an education. My cousin's son is actually a hs senior and I immediately thought how he and his class are getting cheated out of what should be one of the best times of their lives. No spring break trip, no prom, possibly no graduation and no beach trip after graduation. Even walking the halls during spring of your senior year can be exciting. Grades don't matter much anymore as long as you pass because you've likely already been accepted or rejected by your college of choice.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:04 pm

We had inclement weather days growing up in Houston since we're no stranger to heavy rain. A random Monday here and there were those days and if we didn't use the days because of weather then they were free days off for us kids.

I didn't start having any online component to class until college, Blackboard was the main method for the schools I attended.

T18 wrote:
Florida laughs... "Snow days? We do Hurricane Days"

Texas says hi!

We had 2 weeks off without school during Hurricane One in 2008. Eventually the state said kids will have to make it up in the summer and school district ts will lose funding or something like that if kids don't return sooner. Going to school while my house still didn't have power was a very weird thing in high school. I remember my parents texting me we got power back, I was in the band hall on the first Saturday back at school getting ready with the band to play at a football game.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FGITD

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Main reason I don't think snow days or inclement weather days will disappear is due to lack of prep time. Even with this, it's not as if the schools shut down on a Wednesday and picked right up from home on Thursday morning.

It's been awhile since I was in school, but I'm assuming the kids and teachers would need all their books and laptops. my classmates were told they would absolutely need to bring their textbook on a certain day, and despite having 2 weeks notice and daily reminders
..still forgot. What do you do then? Mark them absent for not being able to participate, despite everyone being at home?

While it's great to see the resources available and the progress being made, I'm adamantly against school extending far beyond the hours in class and some homework. Teachers being able to see how long you spent on homework via web apps, online checks etc...that time doesn't belong to the teachers.

Also if my parents could view my grades in real time like they can now...OOF

seb146

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:27 pm

I think we are seeing what remote learning is doing and it is a good thing to keep the education system going. If students do not have a computer or internet access, they know someone who does. I had to take online classes at SRJC and I hated it. But it is a great tool for when a student can not make it to an in-person class.

Some rural districts have students who live in remote areas. Growing up, we had students who were not able to attend because of snow in their area. They were given a pass if something major was assigned. Now, they can still get their assignments.

And parents can stay on top of their kid's education!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!