One of the greats with Fangio from the glory days of F1

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YIL5y.html

scbriml

Re: RIP Sir Stirling Moss

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:59 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
One of the greats with Fangio from the glory days of F1

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YIL5y.html

Very sad news. He was the very epitome of a gentleman racer. He is often referred to as the greatest driver who never won an F1 championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Moss
Moss's sporting attitude cost him the 1958 Formula One World Championship. When rival Mike Hawthorn was threatened with a penalty after the Portuguese Grand Prix, Moss defended him. Hawthorn was accused of reversing on the track after spinning and stalling his car on an uphill section. Moss had shouted advice to Hawthorn to steer downhill, against traffic, to bump-start the car. Moss's quick thinking, and his defence of Hawthorn before the stewards, preserved Hawthorn's 6 points for finishing second behind Moss. Hawthorn went on to beat Moss for the championship title by one point, even though he had won only one race that year to Moss's four.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Newark727

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Aw damn. :(

ltbewr

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm

He is probably one of the greatest drivers of the era he drove and fortunate enough to die of old age, not in a crash. His part in motor racing history well recorded.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Those of a certain age will remember the standard UK police approach to any driver exceeding the speed limit.
Policeman; "So who do you think you are - Stirling Moss?"

And then one fine day not so very long ago, a young copper pulled over a somewhat elderly gentleman who had been driving his silver Aston Martin in a somewhat spirited fashion.
Copper; "So who do you think you are - Stirling Moss?"
I'm sure y'all know the rest of that story. :lol:

Stirling Moss wrote:
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.

:checkeredflag:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

N212R

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:45 pm

No better proof of greatest than the near unanimous accord of his contemporaries - he was the Man to beat when he pulled up to the starting line.

GDB

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Those of a certain age will remember the standard UK police approach to any driver exceeding the speed limit.

And then one fine day not so very long ago, a young copper pulled over a somewhat elderly gentleman who had been driving his silver Aston Martin in a somewhat spirited fashion.

Stirling Moss wrote:
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.

I remember an advert on TV in the 1970's, horrible rainy night, an old fashioned Bobby, traditional British Police helmet, big raincoat, on a pushbike. If memory serves a car roars up and breaks and joins the bicycling Bobby at the red light, copper groans, 'who do you think you are..Stirling Moss?' Cannot find it on You Tube, cannot even remember what it was advertising, a car most likely.

Considering the attrition rate in that sport in his time, he was lucky. Still very sad, even at 90.

Kiwirob

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:50 pm

ltbewr wrote:
He is probably one of the greatest drivers of the era he drove and fortunate enough to die of old age, not in a crash. His part in motor racing history well recorded.

He almost died in a crash, he was in a coma, it ended his career.

jetwet1

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:23 am

GDB wrote:

I remember an advert on TV in the 1970's, horrible rainy night, an old fashioned Bobby, traditional British Police helmet, big raincoat, on a pushbike. If memory serves a car roars up and breaks and joins the bicycling Bobby at the red light, copper groans, 'who do you think you are..Stirling Moss?' Cannot find it on You Tube, cannot even remember what it was advertising, a car most likely.

Considering the attrition rate in that sport in his time, he was lucky. Still very sad, even at 90.

Renault ad maybe ????

Edit : Found it https://www.facebook.com/uktvads/posts/ ... 1829335157

RIP to a legend, I hope F1 pays a fitting tribute to the man.

cskok8

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:41 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Stirling Moss wrote:

Later the standard was Nigel Mansell. Apparently the late Ayrton Senna got stopped once

GDB

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 am

jetwet1 wrote:
GDB wrote:

Renault ad maybe ????

Edit : Found it https://www.facebook.com/uktvads/posts/ ... 1829335157

RIP to a legend, I hope F1 pays a fitting tribute to the man.

Nice find, I got the rain wrong but timeframe right, only saw it the once though.

Tugger

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:45 pm

RIP Sir Moss.

I was given a book on F1 when I was a child and he was a decent part of the story in it. I fell in love with the old early F1 cars, how could you not?

Thanks for the great ride Sir Moss. By most definitions I think you won this race.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

zkojq

Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 pm

An absolute gentleman and complete legend. Very sad that he won't get the funeral he deserves.
First to fly the 787-9