Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

Re: How the Economy Recovers and We Get Back to Work

Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
What are you even talking about? Because I'm talking about small business.

Right. Small businesses like Ruth's Chris Steak House, Potbelly, and Hallador Energy.

Including REAL small businesses, they will not be able to survive this. Not only because giant corporations took all the money, but they can not afford the back rent and the restocking and all the startup they need to open.

Dude, stay on topic here. We started reopening two weeks ago in my state (non-essential retail and restaurants could reopen at half-capacity). I've seen and already patronized many of the "real" small businesses that have reopened. Whether they'll ultimately survive is a different question, but at least now they have the chance along with curbside pickup to try to survive versus the prior lockdown status quo of only big box retailers being allowed to stay open.

I saw lines of people in right wing states too. That means nothing in the long run. Just because some businesses are open does not mean they will survive. The second wave of covid is coming. That will destroy many small businesses. Many small businesses have been open limited hours here and they are still shutting down. And, yes, one factor is giant corporations taking money meant for small businesses. That is completely on topic.

One of our favorite towns to visit is Ashland, just south of Medford along I-5 in southern Oregon. They have so many cool and unique shops and a university. Every year, they put on plays in several theaters around town. They present Shakespeare in a theater built to resemble The Globe in England. But, with the university closed and the theater season postponed at the very least, those cool and unique shops are not going to survive. But the fast food places and national chain grocery stores will. I get it. That is the topic.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ltbewr

Sun May 24, 2020 7:06 pm

One of the biggest issues for 'getting back to work' will be transportation for those that work in urban areas and cities like NY City and some suburban areas where need to use public transit Most workers in the suburbs can use their own personal vehicle to/from work, they are the only ones to touch it. For many of us who work in NY City, public mass transit, buses, subways and trains are the only practical way to go to/from work, we can't all use our cars, park where no one else touches it, a few blocks from our workplaces. Then you have many who don't have a car for practical and economic reasons. Alternatives like bicycles and walking are not practical, especially in poor weather conditions. Trying to keep social distancing on mass public transit is difficult already, adding 25% of workers back to work will be impossible to keep safe distancing.

flyguy89

Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm

seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Right. Small businesses like Ruth's Chris Steak House, Potbelly, and Hallador Energy.

Including REAL small businesses, they will not be able to survive this. Not only because giant corporations took all the money, but they can not afford the back rent and the restocking and all the startup they need to open.

Dude, stay on topic here. We started reopening two weeks ago in my state (non-essential retail and restaurants could reopen at half-capacity). I've seen and already patronized many of the "real" small businesses that have reopened. Whether they'll ultimately survive is a different question, but at least now they have the chance along with curbside pickup to try to survive versus the prior lockdown status quo of only big box retailers being allowed to stay open.

I saw lines of people in right wing states too. That means nothing in the long run. Just because some businesses are open does not mean they will survive. The second wave of covid is coming. That will destroy many small businesses. Many small businesses have been open limited hours here and they are still shutting down. And, yes, one factor is giant corporations taking money meant for small businesses. That is completely on topic.

One of our favorite towns to visit is Ashland, just south of Medford along I-5 in southern Oregon. They have so many cool and unique shops and a university. Every year, they put on plays in several theaters around town. They present Shakespeare in a theater built to resemble The Globe in England. But, with the university closed and the theater season postponed at the very least, those cool and unique shops are not going to survive. But the fast food places and national chain grocery stores will. I get it. That is the topic.

Neither you nor I know the ultimate trajectory of the crisis will be, but how does it help the situation in your mind your mind to forcefully keep small businesses completely shut down and only large national chains open?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One of the biggest issues for 'getting back to work' will be transportation for those that work in urban areas and cities like NY City and some suburban areas where need to use public transit Most workers in the suburbs can use their own personal vehicle to/from work, they are the only ones to touch it. For many of us who work in NY City, public mass transit, buses, subways and trains are the only practical way to go to/from work, we can't all use our cars, park where no one else touches it, a few blocks from our workplaces. Then you have many who don't have a car for practical and economic reasons. Alternatives like bicycles and walking are not practical, especially in poor weather conditions. Trying to keep social distancing on mass public transit is difficult already, adding 25% of workers back to work will be impossible to keep safe distancing.

Maybe we’re past peak NYC, it’s time for it’s collapse to a more manageable size. Loads of New Yorkers have left and may not return. See NYT article on how many left in March—cowards all.

Aesma

Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 pm

Well it's the spring and soon the summer, bicycles, electric scooters etc. are an ideal mode of transportation in dense cities at the moment. In some countries it's done year long, somehow.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

stratosphere

Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Small businesses are going to be toast if not by the screw ups from this administration and congress PPP it will be from the Democratic lockdowns in states that keep moving the goalposts and dragging this out..The deaths from Covid will be nothing compared to suicides and even more addiction deaths related to this shelter in place. Even Fauci is now talking about the risk from being isolated in homes well which is it Fauci can't have it both ways. I wish we could get people to wear masks and take it more seriously then maybe we wouldnt have to be locked down. But that wont happen either. My take on this I am a high risk individual I stay home and order what I need online and work from home so the world needs to get back to work and those who are at risk take as many precautions as they can. You can't keep it locked down forever.

Aesma

Sun May 24, 2020 11:47 pm

stratosphere wrote:
My take on this I am a high risk individual I stay home and order what I need online and work from home so the world needs to get back to work and those who are at risk take as many precautions as they can. You can't keep it locked down forever.

Is there a plan for that from government, or you must hope your employer is OK with it (and your job allows it) ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Mon May 25, 2020 1:27 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

Small businesses are going to be toast if not by the screw ups from this administration and congress PPP it will be from the Democratic lockdowns in states that keep moving the goalposts and dragging this out..The deaths from Covid will be nothing compared to suicides and even more addiction deaths related to this shelter in place. Even Fauci is now talking about the risk from being isolated in homes well which is it Fauci can't have it both ways. I wish we could get people to wear masks and take it more seriously then maybe we wouldnt have to be locked down. But that wont happen either. My take on this I am a high risk individual I stay home and order what I need online and work from home so the world needs to get back to work and those who are at risk take as many precautions as they can. You can't keep it locked down forever.

Maybe Democratic states "moved the goal posts" because this is not a situation that has a definite end. Earthquakes and fires and hurricanes can be measured in beginnings and ends. Governments can screw up responses, but we all know they will end. This viral pandemic, we don't know. Maybe Democratic states "moved the goal posts" because the experts never said anything about goal posts. Maybe the experts said this has no definite end.

That's what frustrates me about MAGA responses. They think they can wish this thing away. That because they are bored with the whole thing, it will just go away. That is now how pandemics work. But, judging by the pictures I have seen of Lake Of The Ozarks this weekend, good luck! May God have mercy on their souls.

seb146

Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 am

flyguy89 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

Neither you nor I know the ultimate trajectory of the crisis will be, but how does it help the situation in your mind your mind to forcefully keep small businesses completely shut down and only large national chains open?

I never said that ever. I am simply pointing out that national chains will survive and they have proven how they will and that they will. Mom-and-pop stores will not. This is why I prefer cities to rural areas. I have found that, in cities, chains and mom-and-pop stores can coexist. Not so much in the rural areas. Part of that, also, is us being conditioned. We know what to expect when we see P. F. Changs or Target or Joann's. We don't know what to expect when we see Ming's Garden or Oliver's or Gayle's Craft Mart N Stuff.

flyguy89

Mon May 25, 2020 3:11 am

seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I never said that ever. I am simply pointing out that national chains will survive and they have proven how they will and that they will. Mom-and-pop stores will not. This is why I prefer cities to rural areas. I have found that, in cities, chains and mom-and-pop stores can coexist. Not so much in the rural areas. Part of that, also, is us being conditioned. We know what to expect when we see P. F. Changs or Target or Joann's. We don't know what to expect when we see Ming's Garden or Oliver's or Gayle's Craft Mart N Stuff.

I understand it will be challenging and many small businesses will indeed end up closing shop, but just speaking from my family's situation (my parents own a small neighborhood dive bar and grill), they've actually been doing pretty decent on take-away alone. They're still down YOY, but not substantially (to my surprise and relief, but they've done a very good job of building a loyal clientele). They will be fine thankfully provided things ease up in the next few weeks. I know many other small businesses have also been able to keep themselves afloat with take-away only as well.

olle

Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 am

The truth is that a new deal will be needed. I see this will be combined with a green deal and in USA invest in new infrastructure. What a chance to move transport into electric!

casinterest

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:14 pm

olle wrote:
The truth is that a new deal will be needed. I see this will be combined with a green deal and in USA invest in new infrastructure. What a chance to move transport into electric!

And now comes the fun part.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/03/86785660 ... evictions-
One big thing lawmakers need to resolve is whether to extend the federal government's expanded unemployment benefits. Getting that unemployment money is the biggest reason most people who've lost jobs are able to pay rent and keep a roof over their heads. And while some people are going back to work, many others are not.

"When the $600-a-week unemployment insurance runs out at the end of July, most people expect tremendous displacement risk," says Andrew Jakabovics with the affordable housing nonprofit Enterprise Community Partners. "Evictions are likely to go through the roof."
Where ever you go, there you are.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:52 pm

One big problem with the 'reopening' of business and workplaces is the fear of liability of workers or customers claiming they got Covid-19 from them. With the ability to file a lawsuit at a whim in the USA, it will likely delay reopenings or only with counterproductive or unprofitable limits of occupancy, requirements of difficult to get and costly PPE and other items to limit contact with others who could infect others.

Okie

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One big problem with the 'reopening' of business and workplaces is the fear of liability of workers or customers claiming they got Covid-19 from them. With the ability to file a lawsuit at a whim in the USA, it will likely delay reopenings or only with counterproductive or unprofitable limits of occupancy, requirements of difficult to get and costly PPE and other items to limit contact with others who could infect others.

Many of the states have already passed legislation to protect business from litigation either by the a governors executive order or state legislation.
One would assume they have to be following the proper safety rules that are regulated by the AHJ and of course and making a good faith effort.

Okie

casinterest

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm

So now here we are in July.
US Cases are ramping up, and the Stimulus act is expiring in the 2nd to last week of July.

https://www.wral.com/one-day-difference ... /19183414/

With cases ramping up, will we see more Stimulus as states roll back or a pause on reopenings?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

VTKillarney

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 pm

seb146 wrote:

And, yes, one factor is giant corporations taking money meant for small businesses.

The PPP loan fund still has over $100 billion. Giant corporations have clearly not taken money from small businesses. There is still plenty of money to be had.

seb146

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:13 am

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And, yes, one factor is giant corporations taking money meant for small businesses.

The PPP loan fund still has over $100 billion. Giant corporations have clearly not taken money from small businesses. There is still plenty of money to be had.

In addition to multi-millionaires and multi-billionaires and huge corporations, religious organizations are getting PPP money too

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahhanse ... 11b21659bf
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 388897002/

Law firms and even minor league sports teams got loans

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ppp-loan-r ... ing-funds/

In order to get these loans, a company must apply through an SBA organization. Which is great for low risk companies like Yeezy or the Catholic church but for a mom-and-pop operation who is living on razor thin profits, not so much. This could explain why the rich are able to get these PPP payouts.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 am

seb146 wrote:
In addition to multi-millionaires and multi-billionaires and huge corporations, religious organizations are getting PPP money too

In order to get these loans, a company must apply through an SBA organization. Which is great for low risk companies like Yeezy or the Catholic church but for a mom-and-pop operation who is living on razor thin profits, not so much. This could explain why the rich are able to get these PPP payouts.

Thousands upon thousands of very small businesses got loans. If a business owner couldn’t figure out how to get a loan they probably shouldn’t have been in business in the first place. The loans are 100% guaranteed by the SBA, so your risk analysis is entirely irrelevant. The whole basis for your argument is a fiction.

Your premise that large corporations took money from small businesses is demonstrably false.

seb146

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:26 am

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Thousands upon thousands of very small businesses got loans. If a business owner couldn’t figure out how to get a loan they probably shouldn’t have been in business in the first place. The loans are guaranteed, so your risk analysis is irrelevant.

That said, your premise that large corporations took money from small businesses is demonstrably false. There is still over $100 billion to be had.

I would argue there is no accountability so no one really knows how much money is the in PPP coffers. Also, the owners of these small businesses can not get away from their actual small businss to sit at a bank and plead their case as to why they are barely hanging on. Very wealthy "small businesses" have accountants and lawyers to do their bidding. What does a bead shop or toy store on Main Street USA have?

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:38 am

seb146 wrote:
I would argue there is no accountability so no one really knows how much money is the in PPP coffers.

The government is still willing to lend over $100 billion. Thus, your argument that large businesses stole money from small businesses is false.

seb146 wrote:
Also, the owners of these small businesses can not get away from their actual small businss to sit at a bank and plead their case as to why they are barely hanging on. Very wealthy "small businesses" have accountants and lawyers to do their bidding. What does a bead shop or toy store on Main Street USA have?

They don’t have to plead their case. We’ve been over this. The loans are 100% guaranteed. And everything can be done online. That’s why all sorts of bead shops and toy stores got loans. Regardless, none of this supports your demonstrably false claim that large corporations prevented small businesses from accessing PPP funds.

seb146

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 am

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I would argue there is no accountability so no one really knows how much money is the in PPP coffers.

The government is still willing to lend over $100 billion. Thus, your argument that large businesses stole money from small businesses is false.

The Catholic Church and million dollar and billion dollar corporations got money so, yeah, they stole my money.

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Also, the owners of these small businesses can not get away from their actual small businss to sit at a bank and plead their case as to why they are barely hanging on. Very wealthy "small businesses" have accountants and lawyers to do their bidding. What does a bead shop or toy store on Main Street USA have?

They don’t have to plead their case. We’ve been over this. The loans are 100% guaranteed. And everything can be done online. That’s why all sorts of bead shops and toy stores got loans. Regardless, none of this supports your demonstrably false claim that large corporations prevented small businesses from accessing PPP funds.

These small businesses, the legitimate ones, have to gather paperwork. It is the same thing with voter registration. Making it as difficult as possible for those who actually want and need it but easy for those who don't. These are loans. You can not walk into a bank and say "gimme a PPP loan" and you will get it. You need paperwork. You need proof. You need to fill out applications. Things that take time. Which legitimate small businesses do not have time for.

I get what you are saying: some of these companies followed the rules. I get that. It is outrageous that billionaires follow the PPP rules and get money. I get there is supposedly money for loans. I get it. Just because these statements are true does not mean actual small businesses can actually follow through and get these loans or even apply for them.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:13 am

If a business can’t fill out a loan application, they shouldn’t be in business in the first place. Countless small businesses did the modicum of bookkeeping required for their loan and took a little bit of time to fill out the application. Based upon the thousands upon thousands of small businesses that got loans, methinks your man is made of straw.

Dieuwer

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:22 am

casinterest wrote:
US Cases are ramping up, and the Stimulus act is expiring in the 2nd to last week of July.

With cases ramping up, will we see more Stimulus as states roll back or a pause on reopenings?

Those in the South have renounced Creationism and embraced Darwinism, apparently.

casinterest

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Those in the South have renounced Creationism and embraced Darwinism, apparently.

To a certain extent yes, but right now there is a big fight going on about sending kids back to school and organized athletics. Fall sports are stating to get cancelled and folks are thinking of staying home. Some of The teachers here in NC are scared to go back to the classrooms. The 20-30 somethings are ok to go back for the most part, but the older ones, and the ones with families with conditions are not so happy about it. Parents are trying to figure out whether to home school or send the kids to school 1 out of 3 week. Within that is parents working out how that corresponds to them working and taking care of kids at home. The economy is going to be sluggish from here on out, and with the end of the stimulus, I fear we are on our way to a economic disaster .