Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Trump threatens to adjourn U.S. Congress

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:49 am

Trump threatens to adjourn U.S. Congress

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump threatened on Wednesday to either force the U.S. Congress to formally adjourn, or return to the Capitol despite the coronavirus pandemic, saying he was frustrated lawmakers were not in Washington to confirm his nominees for federal judgeships and other government positions.

No U.S. president has ever used the authority, included in the Constitution, to adjourn both chambers of Congress if they cannot agree on a date to adjourn.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... ssion=true

Anything to get the focus away from the corona mess I guess ...

WarRI1

Re: Trump threatens to adjourn U.S. Congress

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 am

This man is a clear and present danger to our Democratic system, he is once again the man who would be King as Gov. Cuomo said. He wants to rule by degree and we all know what that leads to and the mentality of those who think that way. China, Russia, North Korea and many other power mad despots out there are examples down through history.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

apodino

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:50 am

Trump may have the power to do this, but this is not a good idea, and if Trump does it is very risky on so many levels. First of all, Mitch McConnell is still his biggest ally as far as getting Judges confirmed. If Trump were to adjorn congress and use recess appointments, they would expire in January. This has a couple of risks. One is of course a Biden victory, meaning that Biden would be filling these judgeships (Assuming McConnell doesn't then convene a lame duck session). Secondly is the republicans losing the Senate (which is possible since KS is up in the air, Mark Kelly probably wins AZ, Collins could easily lose ME, and the Dems only need one more seat beyond that assuming Doug Jones falls to Tommy Tuberville (I see him beating Sessions in the runoff primary). If Trump does get reelected with a Democratic Senate, he is going to have to appoint judges who are perceived to be more centrist (in the mold of a Sandra Day O'Connor, Anthony Kennedy, or even a John Roberts) than what he has appointed.

Secondly, more stimulus is going to be needed, and Trump cannot do it without Congress period.

What I suspect is really at play here is Trump is using this as a negotiating tactic. He isn't really going to do it, but by keeping this card in his back pocket, he can play this card if needed to win some things from House and Senate negotiators as they work on the next stimulus bill.

WarRI1

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 am

What I suspect is really at play here is Trump is using this as a negotiating tactic. He isn't really going to do it, but by keeping this card in his back pocket, he can play this card if needed to win some things from House and Senate negotiators as they work on the next stimulus bill.

I hope he has his cards in his back pocket until goes out the White House door next year, and if he is stupid enough to do this, he will be out for sure.

seahawk

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:27 am

In a time of crisis the president must be able to lead and shape the country. He must do, what needs to be done and he is willing to do it. Trump is the only leader in the Western world.

Newark727

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:34 am

seahawk wrote:
In a time of crisis the president must be able to lead and shape the country. He must do, what needs to be done and he is willing to do it. Trump is the only leader in the Western world.

Spoken like a true dupe. Where was his "willingness to do it" back in February when it actually would have been useful?

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 am

as the saying goes elect a clown expect a circus.

tommy1808

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:52 am

apodino wrote:
Trump may have the power to do this, but this is not a good idea, and if Trump does it is very risky on so many levels. First of all, Mitch McConnell is still his biggest ally as far as getting Judges confirmed.

The Senate Republicans are also on average older and more Male, right? He may kill off some of them that way.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 am

61.8 years average. Trump might end up killing off his majority.

cpd

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:58 am

WarRI1 wrote:

I hope he has his cards in his back pocket until goes out the White House door next year, and if he is stupid enough to do this, he will be out for sure.

If he doesn't do this, then he becomes a weak leader who doesn't have the guts to follow through, just all noise and no substance.

He's said it, now he has to do it, and the conservative supporters must resolutely back this action.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:10 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
This man is a clear and present danger to our Democratic system, he is once again the man who would be King as Gov. Cuomo said. He wants to rule by degree and we all know what that leads to and the mentality of those who think that way. China, Russia, North Korea and many other power mad despots out there are examples down through history.

He has given the congress over 3 years and they have done nothing. Pelosi and Schumer won't even talk to him and won't work across the aisle. Once Hillary lost they made it clear they would do nothing but obstruct. Kavanaugh was a perfect example of how to take unfounded allegations and try to ruin a mans career by opposing everything that isn't left of center. If Trump had said this right after he got elected your above message may have held some water but it's just more made up MSM fear talking points.
I am the Googlizer!!!

scbriml

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:38 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

He has given the congress over 3 years and they have done nothing. Pelosi and Schumer won't even talk to him and won't work across the aisle. Once Hillary lost they made it clear they would do nothing but obstruct. Kavanaugh was a perfect example of how to take unfounded allegations and try to ruin a mans career by opposing everything that isn't left of center. If Trump had said this right after he got elected your above message may have held some water but it's just more made up MSM fear talking points.

I guess what goes around...
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lugie

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Which is exactly what Republicans did to Obama, from day one all the way through both of his terms.
So I can't bring myself to feel bad for trump just because "Pelosi and Schumer won't even talk to him", boo-hoo-hoo, poor Donny.

apodino wrote:
Secondly is the republicans losing the Senate (which is possible since KS is up in the air, Mark Kelly probably wins AZ, Collins could easily lose ME, and the Dems only need one more seat beyond that assuming Doug Jones falls to Tommy Tuberville (I see him beating Sessions in the runoff primary). If Trump does get reelected with a Democratic Senate, he is going to have to appoint judges who are perceived to be more centrist (in the mold of a Sandra Day O'Connor, Anthony Kennedy, or even a John Roberts) than what he has appointed.

I'd say Thom Tillis of North Carolina's seat is quite up in the air too. NC continues to move left, he's facing a strong opponent, and I'm not sure the insider trading by fellow NC GOP Senator Richard Burr is going to help him either (even though Tillis wasn't directly connected).
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

einsteinboricua

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Thankfully, he can't use the power in the Constitution because both chambers have an agreement on when they should adjourn; it's only when there's a disagreement that the president may step in and unilaterally adjourn both chambers at once. But again, the usual Trump defenders look the other way; ask them what if Obama had done this, and they'll say that maybe he should have done it (you know, despite the many comments about King Obama...)

NIKV69 wrote:
He has given the congress over 3 years and they have done nothing.

Given that the GOP controlled Congress for the 2 of those years, and they still control the Senate, you should start looking to see why GOP leaders did nothing except confirm judges and pass a tax cut bill.

NIKV69 wrote:
Pelosi and Schumer won't even talk to him and won't work across the aisle. Once Hillary lost they made it clear they would do nothing but obstruct.

Cry me a river.

NIKV69 wrote:
Kavanaugh was a perfect example of how to take unfounded allegations and try to ruin a mans career by opposing everything that isn't left of center.

Because clearly the GOP rolled over when Obama nominated Sotomayor and Kagan to the Supreme Court (although then, the Democrats controlled the Senate and there was more bipartisanship to the point where cloture could be invoked and passed, even if the Senators did not vote for the nominee in the end).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Revelation

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Anything to get the focus away from the corona mess I guess ...

Stalin would be proud of Trump.

Newark727 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Spoken like a true dupe. Where was his "willingness to do it" back in February when it actually would have been useful?

:checkmark:

Trump's willingness was focused on the golf course back then.

Now his willingness is focused on eliminating anyone who has a higher approval rating than his own.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

seb146

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

All he has done is call them names and whine that they don't do exactly what he wants. That is not leadership. When did GWB or GWHB or Reagan ever do that? Refuse to meet with Democrats and, on top of that, call them names and blame everyone else for things that are clearly his fault? When was the last time the wanna-be king took responsibility for something that went wrong? A good leader will say "yes, this bad thing happened and it was my responsibility". A good leader will speak in terms of "we" and "us" but dictators speak in terms of "I" and "me".
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BravoOne

Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Now if only he could fire them all, bothe dems and republicans.

alfa164

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Now if only he could fire them all, bothe dems and republicans.

Or vise versa: if they had only fired him, when they had a chance...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

BravoOne

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 pm

I doubt if they can even win the 2020 election so how many chnaces do you want:) ??

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 am

Face it, cowardly Congress is in no sense in session—they’re hiding to avoid doing anything. Perhaps, McConnell adjourns the Senate, Pelosi would be stuck. Article II, Section 3 would be clear in that case, but they are de facto adjourned.

WarRI1

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:57 am

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

The old but, but, but. argument once again, everybody, and I do mean everybody, nationally and internationally is to blame except trump., he is the biggest self apologist in Presidential history. Pathetic is the only word I can come up with.

cpd

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

A well known right wing conservative politician once said:

“It is the job of the opposition to oppose”

seb146

Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:42 am

cpd wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

A well known right wing conservative politician once said:

“It is the job of the opposition to oppose”

Two of those three years Republicans were in control. All they could do was pass tax cuts for the wealthy. No affordable health care, no help for those of us working, no pandemic response. Just letting far right wing evangelicals be seated in the courts and giving money to the rich. So, yes, Republicans are to blame. More so than Democrats.

Recall, also, that McConnell refuses to take up legislation passed by the House. He simply blames Democrats and say Democrats are doing nothing. Just like his boss. Blame everyone else. This is how the party of personal responsibility does.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

winginit

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:55 am

He can't. He won't.

It's yet another verbal vomit from him to try and distract from the thousands of Americans who are dying under his watch every day from a dreadfully mishandled virus outbreak.