Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

COVID19 world, home delivery, pickup, in-store experiences

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Want to have a separate thread for this

Amazon - Used to have 5-8 delivery vans a day in the street, now 1-2 max.
USPS - They are the least appreciated but still continue to do their job, less junk mail.
FedEx/UPS - Close to normal
ebay - Ordered some auto parts, one on its way, one no clue.

WholeFoods - Couldn't secure a delivery slot, didn't try in-store, too expensive and organic produce is available elsewhere.
Walmart - Two in store pickups(long wait), couldn't secure grocery pickup slot.
Kroger/Instacart- Couldn't secure a delivery slot, curbside pickup(free) is a complete mess. Can reserve slot one week ahead, but charges card every time you modify the order.
Meijer/Shipt - Couldn't secure a delivery slot, one curbside pickup($4.95) was excellent another one was a complete mess. Can reserve a slot only two days in advance.
Costco - Not all items can be delivered. Employees are well protected, Plexiglas, masks, gloves ...
Samsclub - Couldn't secure a pickup slot
BJs/Instacart - Same day delivery is $14.95, too expensive, haven't tried yet

Marked in green are the ones I used.
In general every outlet is facing shortage of delivery employees, I think most Gig workers decided stay home, otherwise there would be more deliveries and pickup options.
All posts are just opinions.

frmrCapCadet

Re: COVID19 world, home delivery, pickup, in-store experiences

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I am surprised Costco has not rolled out a better online product for all of this. It seems like any decent plan would have realized wide acceptance. As an old guy I am not willing to go into a crowded store, especially when there is a nearby large grocer open 24 hours a day, and near empty at 6:30 am. Amazon is running closer to 4 day delivery in our neighborhood, which is good enough for me.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

stl07

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Walmart grocery pickup is great out here!
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Tugger

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:02 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I am surprised Costco has not rolled out a better online product for all of this. It seems like any decent plan would have realized wide acceptance. As an old guy I am not willing to go into a crowded store, especially when there is a nearby large grocer open 24 hours a day, and near empty at 6:30 am. Amazon is running closer to 4 day delivery in our neighborhood, which is good enough for me.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well. Amazon does "Prime" Costco could do "Crown Service" (or somesuch) an added fee each year ($30-40?) onto their normal membership fee that gets free two day home delivery or free same day pick up at the store. And connect it automatically to your Costco credit card if you have one.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Samsclub is way ahead in technology, implemented self checkout and online store pickup options way ahead of Costco. It also sells more brand products than Costco, but among Indian community it is considered a low end store.

rfields5421

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Today/ 4/21 - 1 pm
Sherman Texas - about an hour north of Dallas
Walmart - In-Store -

picked up TP (Northern Brand) plenty on shelves of Northern, Angel Soft and Generic. No Charmin (my preference)
two cases of water/ 28 count Sams 20oz bottles - we prefer those because they fit our truck cup holders, and can stand up unlike many/ most 16 oz bottles.
1 gallon of bleach - generic brand

Only limit I saw posted was on bleach and cleaning materials. No hand sanitizer to be found.

All employees wearing masks, most N95, some custom cloth ones. Stockers and checkout clerks wearing NO gloves.

And shock of shocks - FIVE (5) manned checkout registers were open with only one with more than one person waiting in line. (First pandemic virus joke I saw was "This is bad. Walmart has even opened a second register to deal with the number of shoppers.")

Light crowd, small line moving well at pick-up area. Less than 1/3 parking lot full. (My wife absolutely refuses to use pickup. I've got her to making lists, but even so, half of the purchases are always 'Oh I forgot, I need this.' We live fulltime in a 36' travel trailer RV and have very limited storage capacity.)

Temp in low 80s (F) bright sunny day. A lot of bare very white skin on display in Walmart and other shopping area we drove by. Normally this time of year, teenagers have started their tan quite well. Location is near a big lake and very popular with day use, camping and resort visitors. Most such facilities are closed.

No 'stay at home' order for Grayson County despite 19 confirmed COVID-19 cases. However under State of Texas Emergency Declaration - restaurants, bars, movie theaters and other social gathering places are closed. Only essential business are open, which means most retail is closed.
Not all who wander are lost.

johns624

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 pm

We just go and get our own groceries. We just buy for 2-3 weeks now instead of one week at a time. If we run out of something, oh well, it's not going to kill us if we don't have it before our next scheduled shopping day. We just substitute.

Cadet985

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:41 am

My local Walmart was pretty well stocked last time I was there. Went to ShopRite for some Passover stuff (my store had a huge Jewish section) and they weren’t well stocked at all.

I’ve been trying to get some compensation out of Amazon for basically wasted Prime — got $20. I’m pretty pissed at how Amazon is handling this — certain items are only available to hospitals or government agencies. And their delayed shipping has no rhyme or reason; to buy a battery case for my phone, it will take a month — that’s ordering from Amazon, and Amazon is the seller. To buy a model battleship, I can buy that now and have it on Friday. I understand some items being prioritized, but laptops, diamond rings, models...they shouldn’t be a priority.

Placed an order with my cigar shop (Holt’s) yesterday. Didn’t pay for fast shipping or anything, and my order was here today — and they saved me money by using a promotion that wasn’t on their website. When I asked about an estimate for shipping, they told me they were “extremely backed up.” So it was a pleasant surprise. I should add that I live about 3-4 miles from there, but they had to close the retail store and stop curbside pickup.

Marc

rfields5421

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 am

Amazon's problem is the supply chain from manufacturers. A lot of stuff they have on the shelves in the warehouses, like laptops, diamond rings and models.

A lot of stuff is gone, and they are not getting shipments of replacement items. Items sourced from China are extremely difficult to get. Shipping from overseas is in turmoil.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:21 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Amazon's problem is the supply chain from manufacturers.

Cadet985 wrote:
I’m pretty pissed at how Amazon is handling this — certain items are only available to hospitals or government agencies. And their delayed shipping has no rhyme or reason; to buy a battery case for my phone, it will take a month — that’s ordering from Amazon, and Amazon is the seller. To buy a model battleship, I can buy that now and have it on Friday. I understand some items being prioritized, but laptops, diamond rings, models...they shouldn’t be a priority.

Marc

I think both of you have valid points. While supply chain is an issue, I read stories about resellers with stock in Amazon warehouse and use Amazon to handle their shipping are extremely unhappy with their goods stuck in warehouse and not able sell. Apparently Amazon also moved around stuff to make room for essential goods.

Some warehouses had COVID19 cases and were closed for deep cleaning and some at places workers walked out.

Resellers who handle their own shipping are able to ship.

StarAC17

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:09 am

I live in Burlington, Ontario so this is what I have observed.

I work in retail branch of a major Canadian Bank and we have reduced hours from 8-8 Monday to Friday. We have suspended weekend hours and reduced hours to clients from 10-4 with the staff staying until 4-6 to catch up on things. 10-11 are for seniors first.
We have introduced a digital version of the take a number thing at supermarkets where we can sort the requests on the basis of importance. We are limiting the number of teller clients to 5, the rest wait outside or with this system in their cars.

One internal thing they have done is prohibit the use of our water cooler, fridge, and microwave for the staff and limiting the lunchroom to 2. With most restaurants and cafe's closed we are limited in options and have to adapt our lunches accordingly which is stupid as we are adults and know how to wash our hands. Hopefully there is push back because this was poorly thought out as we touch common computers, copiers and cash etc. We do have plastic shields up in offices and where the tellers work. I have observed that minimal sanitizer has been offered to us which is frustrating and since I live nearby I will ask my boss for a longer lunch to go home, eat there and return.

In terms of retailers here. All restaurants, take out only and it is highly suggested to order online and just pick up.

Major grocery stores and pharmacies (Costco included) have limited capacity and you queue up outside, they have made the aisles one way with marks at checkout 6 ft apart. I have noticed that half of the checkout lines are in use and if self checkout is an option there is half of terminals are open.
I tend to go later in the day and it is not as busy as most grocers are open until 7 or 8 down from 9 or 10pm.

Hardware stores are curbside only but I figure if I need something like lightbulbs or batteries I can go into Walmart or Costco and even if I need things for my car Walmart has an automotive department. Mechanics are by appointment in most cases.

Furthermore, most retailers are choosing at their discretion to accept cash unless it is government run then they have to. Our liquor chain is government run and they are mandated to take cash and banks of course have to.
In terms of alcohol, we have a program that we pay a deposit of 10 to 20 cents per bottle (beer 10 cents, wine and liquor 20 cents) to have us return the empties to be reused and this was suspended briefly. It has been reintroduced at specific locations which are listed and they have actually set up the option to donate these deposits to your local hospital in the fight against Covid. The Ontario government has closed their offices and has told all residents that if your Driver's license, plate sticker or health card has expired since these measures have been put in place that then no worries and they can renew when the offices reopen.

I have only used Amazon for two things and their delivery times are in line with what they say on their website.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 am

Local farmers in my county created a home delivery service—order and pay online for veg, dairy, some meats all locally sourced, add in a delivery charge, dropped off on a schedule. All put together in a month and the selections increased every week. Over 1500 customers.

I’ve been away from the house 4 times in 6 weeks.

seb146

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:36 am

We use Chewy for our girl's food and meds. The FedEx driver either puts the box on the fence post (when they know we are waiting) or just inside the gate (when they do not hear us). Other deliveries we get the same way.

My work accepts UPS deliveries and people yell and call us names because how dare we not take QR codes off the phone because we do not have the software or hardware to accept QR codes off the phones because that is exclusively between Amazon and the physical UPS Store, but do not even try to explain that to the average Karen. The average Karen DEMANDS we take her return no questions asked, no money paid by her.

gurl.... talk to Amazon. We just scan stuff.

And this hatred and anger started before covid-19.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

anrec80

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am

Here in Stamford CT, all deliveries - alcohol, food - work as normal. Apartment building concierge is there. UPS, Fedex packages are taken as normal - it's just that Concierge has a lot of them lately and asks that everyone gets theirs the same day.

Speaking of my grocery store - Fairway nearby has a self checkout app, where you just scan items, check out and pay with your phone, without talking to anyone.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:46 am

Did anybody try no contact food delivery? What is the fine print?

dfwjim1

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm

I have been doing Uber eats as a side hustle while being furloughed from my full time job. When picking up from restaurants I wear a mask and gloves and upon delivery I leave the food at the customer's front door, take a photo of the food which is sent to the customer and leave to do my next delivery. Very little human contact at the receiving end.

rfields5421

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:17 pm

7-11 Corporation has setup 'mini' convenience stores/groceries within unused spaces in seven (7) hospitals in the Dallas/ North Texas area. It takes them less than five days to setup a retail outlet only for hospital staff, and daily resupply is done via their central warehouse. Among the items are 1/2 doz and 1 dozen packages of eggs, quart and gallon sized milk. Some small packages of flour and sugar, prepackage meats such as sausage and ham. Limited fresh fruits and vegetables. The company is working to provide hamburger and some cuts of beef from large grocery chains.

Jalap

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:39 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
Amazon's problem is the supply chain from manufacturers. A lot of stuff they have on the shelves in the warehouses, like laptops, diamond rings and models.

A lot of stuff is gone, and they are not getting shipments of replacement items. Items sourced from China are extremely difficult to get. Shipping from overseas is in turmoil.

Amazon stock rate is at a record high. They are amongst the covid-winners.
Empty warehouses and supply chain issues could very well be caused by higher demand.

blueflyer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 am

Alternating between Sprouts, Kroger, Tom Thumb and Target (either curbside pickup or Instacart delivery), Kroger has by far the most limited inventory and the most substitutions. Still can't get even order anything-paper be it for pickup or delivery, whereas the other stores may have to substitute one brand/count for another, but are usually able to provide something. Tom Thumb is even in the mix for no reason other than Kroger's inventory issues.

jetwet1

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Las Vegas

Kroger....

A mess, pick up dates pushed back by a couple of days, then time by a couple of hours, I will say, the kids out there are busting their butts, I got to sit and wait for an hour waiting for my order and those kids were working hard. Also, they were not allowed to accept tips, okay I get that, but I was not alone in offering. Overheard that they had missed their bus and would have to wait 2 more hours for the next one (this was at 9pm) so I ended up ordering 3 Ubers (one for each working) to get them home.

Also, parts of the order were missing, but honestly to be expected.

Amazon

2-3 day has become 7-9 day, again, to be expected.

In general, the amusing thing to me is seeing people who obviously never do the grocery shopping wandering around in a daze trying to figure out how it all works.

bhill

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Want to have a separate thread for this

Amazon - Used to have 5-8 delivery vans a day in the street, now 1-2 max.
USPS - They are the least appreciated but still continue to do their job, less junk mail.
FedEx/UPS - Close to normal
ebay - Ordered some auto parts, one on its way, one no clue.

WholeFoods - Couldn't secure a delivery slot, didn't try in-store, too expensive and organic produce is available elsewhere.
Walmart - Two in store pickups(long wait), couldn't secure grocery pickup slot.
Kroger/Instacart- Couldn't secure a delivery slot, curbside pickup(free) is a complete mess. Can reserve slot one week ahead, but charges card every time you modify the order.
Meijer/Shipt - Couldn't secure a delivery slot, one curbside pickup($4.95) was excellent another one was a complete mess. Can reserve a slot only two days in advance.
Costco - Not all items can be delivered. Employees are well protected, Plexiglas, masks, gloves ...
Samsclub - Couldn't secure a pickup slot
BJs/Instacart - Same day delivery is $14.95, too expensive, haven't tried yet

Marked in green are the ones I used.
In general every outlet is facing shortage of delivery employees, I think most Gig workers decided stay home, otherwise there would be more deliveries and pickup options.

Yes/same to all of the above here in WA State. Or you get a really weird substitutes for grocery items if you check that box...gonna have Mexican cuisine for awhile with 12 cans of diced tomatoes WITH chile/japelenos!! I am not bitching though, it's a challenge for all of us, and HELLA better than eating C-Rations/MRE's for weeks!!! We are averaging 4-5 days for a delivery window from Krogers. Whereas my mom can get a same day delivery...and she live about 20 miles away...weird.
Carpe Pices

bhill

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:22 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
7-11 Corporation has setup 'mini' convenience stores/groceries within unused spaces in seven (7) hospitals in the Dallas/ North Texas area. It takes them less than five days to setup a retail outlet only for hospital staff, and daily resupply is done via their central warehouse. Among the items are 1/2 doz and 1 dozen packages of eggs, quart and gallon sized milk. Some small packages of flour and sugar, prepackage meats such as sausage and ham. Limited fresh fruits and vegetables. The company is working to provide hamburger and some cuts of beef from large grocery chains.

This reminds me of AFEES in the Army...they have CONNEX's ready made and stocked to ship anywhere in the world where service members are deployed, like a mini 7/11...pretty cool, and really helps morale!
Carpe Pices

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Here in Mississauga Ontario...

I have 3 grocery stores in close proximity: No Frills, Metro and FreshCo.

No Frills and FreshCo are similar in setup, long well marked areas outside to queue up, one way aisles and every 2nd register only but all open. Stock is hot and miss I haven't seen eggs in stock at either for weeks now though TP is well stocked again. Only other thing that seems to vanish quickly is frozen pizzas of certain types. Self checkout at both are sometimes not open and when they are only 4 out of 10 are open due to spacing.

Metro however has no well marked queue area, no one way aisles, almost all stock including eggs... No hand sanitizer though. Checkouts are also every other one and not always all manned. Self checkout there is more spaced out and more are open as a result.

So mixed bag...

I've done pickup at both Walmart and Loblaws but neither have time slots available anymore for 2 weeks.

Now I also have a Instacart Shopper account. I started it back in January and did a few batches before Covid crazyness hit. There are always batches available, I've been tempted at times, but so far because of people around me that are higher risk I'm not going out for them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Las Vegas

Kroger....

A mess, pick up dates pushed back by a couple of days, then time by a couple of hours, I will say, the kids out there are busting their butts, I got to sit and wait for an hour waiting for my order and those kids were working hard. Also, they were not allowed to accept tips, okay I get that, but I was not alone in offering. Overheard that they had missed their bus and would have to wait 2 more hours for the next one (this was at 9pm) so I ended up ordering 3 Ubers (one for each working) to get them home.

Also, parts of the order were missing, but honestly to be expected.

You had better luck than me. One week lead time, two days after expected pickup date/time, nothing, got an e-mail "Awesome you did it, now tell us what you did with the time you save" to complete a survey, called local store, order was missing, app shows it has been picked up, half of the items missing, and a charge on CC. Customer service number says stay on the line only if it is urgent. Scratching my head.

jetwet1

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:36 am

Oh Chewy

Hmmmm, they can't seem to figure out what exactly to send us, one of our dogs is on a special diet, the food is the same price as at the vets, but hey, free delivery, so I set up the delivery schedule, once every two weeks, the first delivery I get 3 orders worth, call Chewy, mistake on their end, but please keep the food, with what is going on, better safe than sorry (right at the start of the CV19 lock down) and hey, they were not exactly the best at the start (couldn't figure out where the prescription was that I emailed them). Now I get either 1 case or 2 every week from them, should be 1 a week, but charged for 1, once this world has settled down, we will figure it out.

dtw2hyd wrote:

You had better luck than me. One week lead time, two days after expected pickup date/time, nothing, got an e-mail "Awesome you did it, now tell us what you did with the time you save" to complete a survey, called local store, order was missing, app shows it has been picked up, half of the items missing, and a charge on CC. Customer service number says stay on the line only if it is urgent. Scratching my head.

Here I had to sign for it before it was charged.

Last week we used shipped.com There is an annual fee, but they were outstanding, someone goes in and does the shopping for you, texts if something is out of stock and gives ideas for replacements.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm

We have been lucky, about 2 miles from our house is a large low price grocer with good meat and veggies. If I go just after 6:30 am there are only about a dozen shoppers in the whole store. That is not the experience of my kids in Seattle. I am now going just a little less than once a week. A friend checks with me in the middle of that time and I may have them pick up a thing or two. Like a cooked Dungeness crab yesterday.

einsteinboricua

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Tacoma area:
-Grocery stores: they're stocked, for the most part. Looks like people have become bakers because there's barely any baking items to be found (at least in the Safeway next to me). They've placed "one way" signs to minimize people in the aisles but it's not being enforced (and I will admit to going the wrong way at times).
-Big box stores: they're also stocked, more so than regular grocery stores. Walmart definitely is an alternative. Walmart also has the "one way" signs.
-Costco: don't have a membership, but I will definitely not be visiting Costco while this is happening. The lines are ridiculous. The last time I drove past one, the line looped around the building.
-Hardware stores: The Home Depot is limiting people, but Lowes is a free for all. Not a big deal.

Jalap wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

Amazon stock rate is at a record high. They are amongst the covid-winners.
Empty warehouses and supply chain issues could very well be caused by higher demand.

Amazon is not just a resale company; they also have the AWS infrastructure and the Alexa line of items. If their stock is high, it's because they're diversified enough to weather this through.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Did anybody try no contact food delivery? What is the fine print?

So far, my only instances with no-contact delivery was with Papa Johns and that was a mess (it wasn't delivery; it was pickup, but still followed the same guidelines). I ended up filing a complaint just because of how poorly an employee was being treated by the store manager in our presence. Let's just say, the store was disorganized.

Speaking about delivery, I'm surprised Amazon has suspended Amazon Key service since that is also contactless delivery. Not that I've ordered anything major in the past few weeks, but what's the difference between leaving something on your porch and leaving it inside your garage?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:35 am

What is the deal with baking goods, last week at least all-purpose flour was in stock, now that is gone. Haven't seen bread flour or wheat flour in three weeks. Luckily picked up four strips of dry yeast. We are primarily rice eaters and have Indian wheat flour in stock. Just trying baking for the first time. So many types like 00, bread, wheat, whole/organic/unbleached ... clueless and nothing is available.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:59 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
What is the deal with baking goods, last week at least all-purpose flour was in stock, now that is gone. Haven't seen bread flour or wheat flour in three weeks. Luckily picked up four strips of dry yeast. We are primarily rice eaters and have Indian wheat flour in stock. Just trying baking for the first time. So many types like 00, bread, wheat, whole/organic/unbleached ... clueless and nothing is available.

Use white, bleached or unbleached, when you first start baking. It is the easiest to use. Whole wheat is more than a little tricky for texture and rising. Most experienced bakers still add white to their whole wheat to make it perform better.

deltairlines

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:03 am

I used Instacart to get some craft beer from the ABC Store here in Florida that's a good 20-25 minutes away from my house. I placed the order at 1130a and the beer was delivered at my front door less than an hour later.

Costco: I go there once a week, normally on Saturday/Sunday afternoons. Only once in the past month has there been someone in line ahead of me - and that was only one person. It's been great. They've done this too with every other lane closed down.

Grocery: There are two I go to - Publix for most of my stuff. They've made it that aisles are one-way. Canned items are still a bit sparse but that's about it now. Check-out has been quick every time. The other store I go to (local chain of five supermarkets, specialize in local meats and produce) - they have crates stacked full of produce when you walk in the store. Everything fully stocked. No real check out lines.

The only store I've really had to wait in a line to check out is the liquor store a mile down the road from me.

The only other stores I go to right now are a couple of local breweries. You can order online and they have your beer and growlers all ready to go in their fridge. Since you've paid already online, it's grab and go (I normally stick around for 5 minutes or so and chat with the brewer/bartender for some social interaction - at six feet of course).

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:27 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Use white, bleached or unbleached, when you first start baking. It is the easiest to use. Whole wheat is more than a little tricky for texture and rising. Most experienced bakers still add white to their whole wheat to make it perform better.

Thank You, and at present that is the only flour I have. Isn't USA world's largest wheat producer? Why are we having supply issues with flour?

frmrCapCadet

Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:38 pm

What I am hearing is that a lot of people are baking who did not bake before. And as mentioned on the Amazon thread about certain other supplies, much of our flour is packed for bakeries and other large users - in fifty or hundred pound sacks. The supply chain has not caught up with home consumption yet.

rfields5421

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:59 pm

The USA is number three or four in world wheat production in 2017 - 4th place. Russia varies, and the US varies. China is number one with almost three times the production in tons of the US in 2017 (last year figures I can find). India is solidly number two.

Number 5 in 2017 was France, much to my surprise. The European Union together produces more wheat than China.

However, the US may be the largest exporter of wheat in the world with almost 50% of US production going overseas. This helps hold the prices steady with the US government buying a lot of wheat for foreign aid, and many largish producers needing to import wheat if they have a bad year.

Charts on US wheat usage on Wikipedia show a very stable marked for many years with only minor changes in the amount of wheat used for food, year after year.

I would say it only takes about a 20% increase in demand to overwhelm the supply chain for retail wheat/ flour. But that's just a guess..

I am sure the people who are substantial home users of flour stocked up quickly. Others rushed into buying as much as possible planning to start making their own bread when commercial supplies disappeared. Used to bake my own bread for years, before computers and RPG video games. Fun, satisfying, and a bit of detailed work. The current new home baker demand will not be sustained more than a couple months in my opinion. Retail bread supplies in store shelves are back to near normal, in Texas at least.

My daughter has had no problems with rice purchases. Her mother was from the Philippines, and she serves rice everyday. Others complain it is short supply. But she buys 50 lb sacks from oriental wholesalers.

Revelation

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:45 pm

I have been averaging 2 weeks between shopping trips. I went to Market Basket (MA/NH area chain) and they were good on social distancing (queue in front with marks every 6 feet, limited shoppers in the store, short line at the registers) but bad at staff PPE (only half the staff had any sort of face covering, no evidence of gloves anywhere). I'm honestly considering shopping elsewhere just because of the poor approach to PPE.

Similar to reports above, bread stocks were back to normal. Tissue paper and napkins with good availability, some TP available but not much in terms of name brands, all cleaning supplies still very limited.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 pm

I was able to pickup 4 x small hand sanitizers, 1 x disinfectant canister and 1 x hydrogen peroxide bottle. Saw Clorox 3 Gallon pack in stock at Costco. Costco limiting Rice to one bag. Funny I was in Costco day before first Trump Corona press conference, some people were loading up rice, sugar, water and TP by truck loads.

In general, I have a feeling chemicals and paper products are slowly getting back to normal.

I guess entire supply chain is in reactive mode, they are not able to predict which one will go out of stock but able to fix issues as they arise, gives hope.

Stores haven't changed their shelf stocking habits, they are still starting late morning and finish by mid-afternoon. If you go too early, you may find many shelves empty. I wish they change this practice now with reduced shopping hours, particularly on days with early senior shopping hours.

EstherLouise

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Scored at Walmart in western Wisconsin.

712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

rfields5421

Fri May 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Kroger, Sherman, TX - Apr 29

Walking through store - at least five people pulling orders for pickup.

Wife adds a can of StarKist Tuna to our basket and I hear one of the young high school age girls pulling orders say to the boy helping her.

"The order says they want Chicken of the Sea, but the only canned chicken that I see is Swanson. That should be an okay substitute, Right?"

I somewhat abruptly mentioned to the young girl that "Chicken of the Sea" was a brand of Tuna Fish.

Now you know why I shop myself rather than do pickup.

casinterest

Fri May 01, 2020 5:39 pm

rfields5421 wrote:

Wife adds a can of StarKist Tuna to our basket and I hear one of the young high school age girls pulling orders say to the boy helping her.

"The order says they want Chicken of the Sea, but the only canned chicken that I see is Swanson. That should be an okay substitute, Right?"

I somewhat abruptly mentioned to the young girl that "Chicken of the Sea" was a brand of Tuna Fish.

We had a person call us and tell us that they had no idea what Oreo's were.
Where ever you go, there you are.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Local Costco is enforcing mandatory mask/face cover rule. Good to see they are making sure only people wearing them can enter the store. Meijer is not enforcing, but most are wearing those anyway.

LittleFokker

Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 am

rfields5421 wrote:

I hope nobody orders "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" from that girl.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre