Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:29 am

Hi Folks,

as expected it would appear the knowingly spread misinformation, internal Mails show Fox News was aware Covid-19 is real and dangerous, by Fox News leads to measurable more death among their viewers.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04 ... udy-finds/

I guess we will be able to figure out how many people Hannity got dead when all is over and more data is available.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5227
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:36 am

I don't follow these guys at all, but I was under the impression that they both spewed a similar kind of wretched toxic bile to their viewers; the Fox News usual mix of untruthfulness or distorted truth with a heavy dose of anger-inducing partisan hatred and opinionated bullsh#t...

Did their coverage of the outbreak differ in substance?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:21 am

Francoflier wrote:
I don't follow these guys at all, but I was under the impression that they both spewed a similar kind of wretched toxic bile to their viewers; the Fox News usual mix of untruthfulness or distorted truth with a heavy dose of anger-inducing partisan hatred and opinionated bullsh#t...

Did their coverage of the outbreak differ in substance?


Yes, Tucker was taking it more serious, and did so in February, Hanibal Hannity talked it down until mid march.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 am

FOX of course was the brainchild of porcine sex pest Ailes.
His motivation was disgust, that a non partisan media had the temerity to investigate and eventually help bring down, a corrupt US President. Poor old Nixon. Butter wouldn't melt. Such a victim.
It really took Reagan's lifting on FCC controls on impartial news (wonder why?) and then Rupert Murdoch's investment.

So a willing GOP President, a fat nasty sex pest, a media mogul with an agenda to promote far right, racist agenda.
How do we think it was going to work out?

Like the character played by Brian Cox in 'Succession', the shield here is 'giving ordinary folk what they want', (Like the Murdoch's, the show has a son who laughably dabbles in Rap music, a daughter not entirely cut from the same cloth of the family).
Brian Cox was outside a cafe in London when a lady approached and complimented him on the show, Cox's friend asked if he knew who it was, Cox didn't. 'Elisabeth Murdoch' he was told.

Murdoch's other examples of giving the scum, I mean ordinary folk (you can bet there HAVE been Freudian slips like that), what they want, include in his 'papers' lying about the circumstances of the deaths of 96 Liverpool football fans in 1989, hacking the phones of not only 'celebs' but a murdered girl, other bereaved families in high profile cases to name a few.

Science denial, racism, homophobia were staples of his rags in the UK (which they really do not like to be reminded of), nowadays of course that is the staple of FOX.
Given that aspects of US history and culture already laid the groundwork.
Murdoch also hates the idea that the UK retains standards of impartial news broadcasting, hence his long loathing of the BBC, aided by his Tory friends, including PM Boris the Shitgibbon. At least until Covid happened.
(The things his lot wanted to attack, like the NHS, the main national broadcaster, are suddenly vital not only for the nation, maybe, ultimately, his or his government's survival).
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12969
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:19 am

Carson is a little less "unfair and unbalanced" than the others.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Fox news is for people that can't think for themselves. They need others to tell then what to think. They hire brain washed and bleach washed hosts. No self respecting person would ever watch that channel unless they like being lied to.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
dmg626
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 pm

what does “getting people dead” mean and how many is it so far ?
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13378
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 pm

dmg626 wrote:
what does “getting people dead” mean and how many is it so far ?


Has no meaning, it's just another bomb that gets lobbed into politics so people get scared into thinking a way someone wants them to. :sarcastic:
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
2122M
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
what does “getting people dead” mean and how many is it so far ?


Has no meaning, it's just another bomb that gets lobbed into politics so people get scared into thinking a way someone wants them to. :sarcastic:


Actually, while it’s poorly worded, I’m sure it means that their attempt to downplay the virus in its early phase, followed by their use of pseudoscience and TV ‘doctors’ sharing simplistic and overly optimistic ‘treatment’ ideas led to viewers making poor health decisions and putting themselves in bad situations, leading to high rates of infection and death among their viewers.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am

NIKV69 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
what does “getting people dead” mean and how many is it so far ?


Has no meaning, it's just another bomb that gets lobbed into politics so people get scared into thinking a way someone wants them to. :sarcastic:



You do know how it was used, do not be obtuse. You guys are good at that by the way.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 am

WarRI1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
what does “getting people dead” mean and how many is it so far ?


Has no meaning, it's just another bomb that gets lobbed into politics so people get scared into thinking a way someone wants them to. :sarcastic:



You do know how it was used, do not be obtuse. You guys are good at that by the way.


Playing dumb is part of the game, isn´t it?

As posted above, you get a fairly solid data set to figure out how many excess death Fox and friends have caused after everything is said and done.

And statistics can be used to successfully sue, which is good. You can probably limit the number to excess cases with the probability of a paternity test, which is generally accepted to be high enough to win a case. Just like Alex Jones is probably going to get broke over his Sandy Hook lies, and he didn´t even get anyone killed.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 am

tommy1808 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Has no meaning, it's just another bomb that gets lobbed into politics so people get scared into thinking a way someone wants them to. :sarcastic:



You do know how it was used, do not be obtuse. You guys are good at that by the way.


Playing dumb is part of the game, isn´t it?

As posted above, you get a fairly solid data set to figure out how many excess death Fox and friends have caused after everything is said and done.

And statistics can be used to successfully sue, which is good. You can probably limit the number to excess cases with the probability of a paternity test, which is generally accepted to be high enough to win a case. Just like Alex Jones is probably going to get broke over his Sandy Hook lies, and he didn´t even get anyone killed.

best regards
Thomas


So what exactly is the coroner looking for?
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:


You do know how it was used, do not be obtuse. You guys are good at that by the way.


Playing dumb is part of the game, isn´t it?

As posted above, you get a fairly solid data set to figure out how many excess death Fox and friends have caused after everything is said and done.

And statistics can be used to successfully sue, which is good. You can probably limit the number to excess cases with the probability of a paternity test, which is generally accepted to be high enough to win a case. Just like Alex Jones is probably going to get broke over his Sandy Hook lies, and he didn´t even get anyone killed.

best regards
Thomas


So what exactly is the coroner looking for?


what makes you think a coroner would have to do with any of it, aside of concluding they died of covid-19?

Its not like they keep the methodology secret.... https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/upl ... 202044.pdf

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6261
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:18 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
So what exactly is the coroner looking for?


A sample of blood would be enough to determine if a person who dies has had COVID-19.

Saying a death is due to COVID-19 is more difficult, because it has to look at other factors. The disease itself does not kill anyone. It weakens other systems which fail and are the actual cause of death.

The US had a surge of much higher than normal deaths reported as related to pneumonia early in 2020, especially among older people. I'm sure some of those are being reexamined as possibly COVID-19 related. And in many cases, there is no blood or tissue sample to examine..

Most deaths of medical causes in the US to not have a post mortem exam of the body. In many cases, there is only a nurse who pronounces the person dead, and a funeral home picks up the remains and transports them for preparation for the funeral. That was the case with my mother in a nursing home (2008), and my father who died in his home (2015). Nurses are much more common today when a person enters a hospice care program.

Back in 1978, we had a murder on a US Naval Air Station in the barracks. The person was pronounced dead by the county coroner, several hours after the body was discovered. It was determined the base was leased, not US govt property, So he had jurisdiction.

His office supervised the autopsy. The coroner for Lauderdale County at that time was a radio station news director as he primary job. The coroner function was primarily an administrative task. The autopsy was done by a medical pathologist who came in from Jackson to do the exam, because the coroner knew the case would end up in court.

Most of the time, if the deceased was under any type of medical care, the physician who supervised the care provides a likely cause of death,.and the coroner accepts that and makes it official.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Hannity is all crybaby and lacks any understanding over what his words were, and what the 1st amendment means. He and his lawyer continue to lie about what actually occurred.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4950 ... swer-is-no

The New York Times on Tuesday said it would not retract or apologize for columns critical of Fox News host Sean Hannity's coverage of the coronavirus pandemic after Hannity's attorney threatened legal action against the newspaper.

"The columns are accurate, do not reasonably imply what you and Mr. Hannity allege they do, and constitute protected opinion," wrote Times's legal counsel David E. McCraw to Hannity attorney Charles Harder.

"In response to your request for an apology and retraction, our answer is 'no,' " the letter concludes.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri May 08, 2020 3:21 pm

GDB wrote:
Murdoch also hates the idea that the UK retains standards of impartial news broadcasting, hence his long loathing of the BBC

Did the BBC grant the embassador of Irak an interview before Irak was invaded because of weapons of mass destructions?
Irak war started march 2003. However Feb 2003 Hans-Christof von Sponeck and Andreas Zumach published a book that rubbished the weapons of mass destruction accusations. Did BBC discuss it? After all Sponeck was qualified to speak:
"After Denis Halliday resigned as UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq in October 1998, Sponeck took over, heading all UN operations in Iraq and managing the Iraqi operations of the Oil-for-Food Programme.[1] In February 2000, Sponeck and Jutta Burghardt, head of the UN World Food Programme in Iraq, both resigned for the same reason as Halliday, to protest against the Iraq sanctions policy of the UN. Sponeck and Halliday wrote an article in The Guardian explaining their position, accusing the sanctions regime of violating the Geneva Conventions and other international laws and causing the death of thousands of Iraqis."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Christof_von_Sponeck

From the Guardian article of 2001:
"The US Defence Department, and Richard Butler, former head of the UN arms inspection team in Baghdad, would prefer Iraq to have been behind the anthrax scare. But they had to recognise that it had its origin within the US.
British and US intelligence agencies know well that Iraq is qualitatively disarmed, and they have not forgotten that the outgoing secretary of defence, William Powell, told incoming President George Bush in January: "Iraq no longer poses a military threat to its neighbours". The same message has come from former UN arms inspectors. But to admit this would be to nail the entire UN policy, as it has been developed and maintained by the US and UK governments."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/ ... aq.comment

"impartial news broadcasting" can't be done from any media that wants to be successful. When two gangs of monkeys fight each other, no monkey likes to criticize it's group.
What the left and the thinking minority fails to understand: People don't want to hear the truth.
Murdoch is simply a business man who provides whatever people want to hear.
If the majority wanted critical discourse, he would provide it.
The press is free. Nobody is to be blamed, but people themselves.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
LH658
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 4:55 am

I watch both sides of the Left and Right, obviously both sides have their lunatics. Though on the right only person that credible or can have educated conversation is George Wallace. The 5 with Greg Gutfield sounds like a bunch kids that were bullied in school when they were kids or privileged suburban kids, Hannity is just crazy, Tucker Carlson is always confused always bringing weird irrelevant people from the left or doesn't know if he should side with the poor man or be about less government, Judge Jeanine is just trying raise her viewership, and Fox and Friends are just the Cheer leaders of the Channel.
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 7:00 am

Sokes wrote:
GDB wrote:
Murdoch also hates the idea that the UK retains standards of impartial news broadcasting, hence his long loathing of the BBC

Did the BBC grant the embassador of Irak an interview before Irak was invaded because of weapons of mass destructions?
Irak war started march 2003. However Feb 2003 Hans-Christof von Sponeck and Andreas Zumach published a book that rubbished the weapons of mass destruction accusations. Did BBC discuss it? After all Sponeck was qualified to speak:
"After Denis Halliday resigned as UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq in October 1998, Sponeck took over, heading all UN operations in Iraq and managing the Iraqi operations of the Oil-for-Food Programme.[1] In February 2000, Sponeck and Jutta Burghardt, head of the UN World Food Programme in Iraq, both resigned for the same reason as Halliday, to protest against the Iraq sanctions policy of the UN. Sponeck and Halliday wrote an article in The Guardian explaining their position, accusing the sanctions regime of violating the Geneva Conventions and other international laws and causing the death of thousands of Iraqis."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Christof_von_Sponeck

From the Guardian article of 2001:
"The US Defence Department, and Richard Butler, former head of the UN arms inspection team in Baghdad, would prefer Iraq to have been behind the anthrax scare. But they had to recognise that it had its origin within the US.
British and US intelligence agencies know well that Iraq is qualitatively disarmed, and they have not forgotten that the outgoing secretary of defence, William Powell, told incoming President George Bush in January: "Iraq no longer poses a military threat to its neighbours". The same message has come from former UN arms inspectors. But to admit this would be to nail the entire UN policy, as it has been developed and maintained by the US and UK governments."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/ ... aq.comment

"impartial news broadcasting" can't be done from any media that wants to be successful. When two gangs of monkeys fight each other, no monkey likes to criticize it's group.
What the left and the thinking minority fails to understand: People don't want to hear the truth.
Murdoch is simply a business man who provides whatever people want to hear.
If the majority wanted critical discourse, he would provide it.
The press is free. Nobody is to be blamed, but people themselves.


It's 'Iraq', as for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are on about. Bit like your rather bizarre Austro-Hungarian thread.
Murdoch has a distinct agenda, many people 'want' to never work, drink themselves stupid and live off fast food. Does not make it a good thing, for them or society generally,
The BBC get attacked both by the far left and far right, a sign they are doing something right, ill informed conspiracy nuts hate them too, whichever end of the political spectrum they are on, who themselves rely on ignorance.
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 11:37 am

GDB wrote:
Murdoch has a distinct agenda, many people 'want' to never work, drink themselves stupid and live off fast food. Does not make it a good thing, for them or society generally,

I agree it's not good people desire to consume such media. But that's human nature. What do you suggest against it?
In Germany we had publishers who kept publishing "better" newspapers. These papers were chronic loss making, but dear to the publishers. So publishers used the profits of the usual papers to subsidize the "better" paper.
At least that's what I read. I wasn't convinced of these papers either, but they were surely better than the Sun.

GDB wrote:
The BBC get attacked both by the far left and far right, a sign they are doing something right, ill informed conspiracy nuts hate them too, whichever end of the political spectrum they are on, who themselves rely on ignorance.

You didn't answer if the BBC represent the voices of credible critics of the "weapons of mass destruction" accusations? I speak of people who headed UN programs in Iraq. If BBC was critical forget the next few sentences. If not:

I have to disappoint you. Those who believed that Iraq still had weapons of mass destruction fell for the conspiracy theories Western politicians created.
It was the majority that suffered from paranoia, not conspiracy theorists.
Those who read the earlier mentioned book relied on true information and didn't fall for the conspiracy.
How would people know about such books? To get such info one has to leave most mainstream media. I quoted "The Guardian" earlier. There should be some mainstream publications who discuss such books/ present critical voices.
Anyway such media exist. There is just hardly demand for them.

Several heads of UN programs stepped down in protest, taking risk of ruining their professional career. Not all conspiracy theories are nuts.
So who relies on own ignorance?

I'm happy you enjoyed the "Austria-Hungary Empire" thread.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a new royal family Murdoch can write about?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 am

Sokes wrote:
GDB wrote:
The BBC get attacked both by the far left and far right, a sign they are doing something right, ill informed conspiracy nuts hate them too, whichever end of the political spectrum they are on, who themselves rely on ignorance.

You didn't answer if the BBC represent the voices of credible critics of the "weapons of mass destruction" accusations? I speak of people who headed UN programs in Iraq. If BBC was critical forget the next few sentences


The BBC was biased back then, but they don't need anyone to tell them, as they reported that themselves:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2 ... anced.html

But that isn't to mean that critical voices wasn't given room:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2658153.stm

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Sokes wrote:
GDB wrote:
Murdoch has a distinct agenda, many people 'want' to never work, drink themselves stupid and live off fast food. Does not make it a good thing, for them or society generally,

I agree it's not good people desire to consume such media. But that's human nature. What do you suggest against it?
In Germany we had publishers who kept publishing "better" newspapers. These papers were chronic loss making, but dear to the publishers. So publishers used the profits of the usual papers to subsidize the "better" paper.
At least that's what I read. I wasn't convinced of these papers either, but they were surely better than the Sun.

GDB wrote:
The BBC get attacked both by the far left and far right, a sign they are doing something right, ill informed conspiracy nuts hate them too, whichever end of the political spectrum they are on, who themselves rely on ignorance.

You didn't answer if the BBC represent the voices of credible critics of the "weapons of mass destruction" accusations? I speak of people who headed UN programs in Iraq. If BBC was critical forget the next few sentences. If not:

I have to disappoint you. Those who believed that Iraq still had weapons of mass destruction fell for the conspiracy theories Western politicians created.
It was the majority that suffered from paranoia, not conspiracy theorists.
Those who read the earlier mentioned book relied on true information and didn't fall for the conspiracy.
How would people know about such books? To get such info one has to leave most mainstream media. I quoted "The Guardian" earlier. There should be some mainstream publications who discuss such books/ present critical voices.
Anyway such media exist. There is just hardly demand for them.

Several heads of UN programs stepped down in protest, taking risk of ruining their professional career. Not all conspiracy theories are nuts.
So who relies on own ignorance?

I'm happy you enjoyed the "Austria-Hungary Empire" thread.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a new royal family Murdoch can write about?


In the build up the the 2003 war, Alistair Campbell, the British Prime Ministers press advisor/spin doctor, got in a furious row with the BBC over their coverage which allowed the expression of doubt about the government's case.
He became 'the story', so resigned.
The Public Inquiry afterwards, when the WMD's were not found, created another huge row, centering on whether the Government misused intelligence information, basically removing ambiguity for certainty.
Cabinet Government had failed, the intelligence services felt used.

This was satirized in the dark but hilarious 2009 comedy film, 'In The Loop', itself a spin off from the BBC political comedy (which some serving ministers told the makers was often close to the truth), 'The Thick Of It'.

But the Murdoch press? Cheerleaders for the war, always are, not one of them had ever served in the forces.

(My own view is that Blair was certain, as were others including some in intelligence, that the WMD's did exist, however he had plenty in his own party not in favour, huge demonstrations against it, public opinion finely balanced at the start of it, with the political time bombs of both him needing Conservative MP's votes to push military action approval through the House Of Commons and the WMD's not being found afterwards).

Polling during this current Covid crisis shows a strong lack of trust with tabloid papers, the Sun and the Daily Mail in particular, broadsheets do better, however TV news, BBC, ITN and the now non Murdoch Sky far more trusted.
The BBC's main problem are threats made against them, prior to this crisis the creep in Downing Street, Dominic Cummings, was going to 'wack' the BBC. On ITN government ministers have started boycotting the early morning shows due to harsh, robust questioning. Well only harsh if they had a clue what they were doing.

PM Johnson last had an in depth interview, when London Mayor, with a (BBC) political journalist in 2013, it did not go well.
Guess what? Public confidence, from a high when the crisis began, in the government, is slipping badly and they know it.
His very confusing broadcast the other night won't have helped.
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 3:01 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
But that isn't to mean that critical voices wasn't given room:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2658153.stm[

I stand corrected. So why did some UN inspectors step down while this guy was spreading doubts? Born in 1928 we can exclude career. Even though I believe he wanted to side with the powerful, if only to be invited to the right parties.

There are paranoid or sadistic people who want evil. But that does not explain evil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC5o33RrmDI&t=148m33s

The best movie I know about opportunism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_n6w45M2A4


GDB wrote:
In the build up the the 2003 war, Alistair Campbell, the British Prime Ministers press advisor/spin doctor, got in a furious row with the BBC over their coverage which allowed the expression of doubt about the government's case.
...

I didn't knew.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Sokes wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
But that isn't to mean that critical voices wasn't given room:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2658153.stm[

I stand corrected. So why did some UN inspectors step down while this guy was spreading doubts? Born in 1928 we can exclude career. Even though I believe he wanted to side with the powerful, if only to be invited to the right parties.

There are paranoid or sadistic people who want evil. But that does not explain evil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC5o33RrmDI&t=148m33s

The best movie I know about opportunism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_n6w45M2A4


GDB wrote:
In the build up the the 2003 war, Alistair Campbell, the British Prime Ministers press advisor/spin doctor, got in a furious row with the BBC over their coverage which allowed the expression of doubt about the government's case.
...

I didn't knew.


It's a tradition. In the 1960's Labour PM Harold Wilson, generally a kindly, even tempered man, got angry with the BBC.
He was well to the left of the next PM who did, Maggie Thatcher, (Wilson was in fact also to the left of Blair). She allowed the 1990 Broadcasting Act to go past Murdoch for approval, given his cheerleading for her.

David Cameron threatened them, he was NOT even tempered..
(Since it's inception, the BBC World Service was funded by the Foreign Office, however Cameron changed that making the BBC wholly responsible therefore having to make cutbacks in services for the British public). More recently, the free license for the over 75's, brought in by PM Gordon Brown, was scrapped, to turn viewers against the BBC, few of whom would make the link with government, not BBC, policy.

If they are not at some point pissing off the government, they are not doing their job.
Hence Cumming's threats, now as a vital means of communication with the public in this unprecedented crisis, that seems from another era, which in a sense, it is.

It is a far from perfect organization, (what is?), however they can take the piss out of themselves, an example a few years back being the comedy 'W1A', an organizational/office farce based in their own HQ.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17989
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 am

What I don't understand--sorta--is that Covid19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and men, and Fox News' audience is on average 70 years old and male. Seems self defeating.
tommy1808 wrote:
Hi Folks,

as expected it would appear the knowingly spread misinformation, internal Mails show Fox News was aware Covid-19 is real and dangerous, by Fox News leads to measurable more death among their viewers.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04 ... udy-finds/

I guess we will be able to figure out how many people Hannity got dead when all is over and more data is available.

Best regards
Thomas

But everyone gets a chloroquine smoothie!
I don't take responsibility at all
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 4:59 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
What I don't understand--sorta--is that Covid19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and men, and Fox News' audience is on average 70 years old and male. Seems self defeating.


Media-Prisoner Dilemma. If Fox gets real, One America News Network, even less tethered to the real world than Fox, will take their customers and advertising income.

Its a version of what Trump has: The Pandemic was the golden opportunity to ride a landslide into the 2nd term. But in order to do that, one would to acknowledge its existence and fight it effectively. So, with a President on record saying that "his numbers looking bad" is a worse outlook than Americans dying, remember the cruise ship, testings isn´t really an option. Without testing you can not get to the other side with your economy intact... but that is a long term goal.

Trump and Fox are essentially people that get a letter from their bank, basically know its a bounced check, but don´t open the letter... because until they do it could be something else.

Now.. the interesting question is whether class action suits will later bankrupt Fox. Heck, the only people more crazy than Trump, as in mental condition, are those that don´t see his rapid mental decline, and Fox News is either mentally sick on the organisation level on top of criminally negligent in knowingly promoting life threatening misinformation.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 5:53 am

tommy1808 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
What I don't understand--sorta--is that Covid19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and men, and Fox News' audience is on average 70 years old and male. Seems self defeating.


Media-Prisoner Dilemma. If Fox gets real, One America News Network, even less tethered to the real world than Fox, will take their customers and advertising income.

Its a version of what Trump has: The Pandemic was the golden opportunity to ride a landslide into the 2nd term. But in order to do that, one would to acknowledge its existence and fight it effectively. So, with a President on record saying that "his numbers looking bad" is a worse outlook than Americans dying, remember the cruise ship, testings isn´t really an option. Without testing you can not get to the other side with your economy intact... but that is a long term goal.

Trump and Fox are essentially people that get a letter from their bank, basically know its a bounced check, but don´t open the letter... because until they do it could be something else.

Now.. the interesting question is whether class action suits will later bankrupt Fox. Heck, the only people more crazy than Trump, as in mental condition, are those that don´t see his rapid mental decline, and Fox News is either mentally sick on the organisation level on top of criminally negligent in knowingly promoting life threatening misinformation.

best regards
Thomas


I've heard about this One America Network, make FOX actually like their old slogan, 'Fair And Balanced'.
If this US administration does not survive, it's replacement needs to give the FCC more teeth again, in this situation I recall the British WW2 adage, 'Careless Talk Costs Lives'.
That's nothing to do with restriction of freedom of expression, as they say in the US it's about not 'shouting FIRE in a crowded theater'.
(What about the fact that a lot of news is disseminated by Big Tech platforms? Quite right, though I cringe when I hear 'I get all my news from Facebook', so expand the FCC remit).
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 pm

GDB wrote:
I've heard about this One America Network, make FOX actually like their old slogan, 'Fair And Balanced'.
If this US administration does not survive, it's replacement needs to give the FCC more teeth again, in this situation I recall the British WW2 adage, 'Careless Talk Costs Lives'.
That's nothing to do with restriction of freedom of expression, as they say in the US it's about not 'shouting FIRE in a crowded theater'.
(What about the fact that a lot of news is disseminated by Big Tech platforms? Quite right, though I cringe when I hear 'I get all my news from Facebook', so expand the FCC remit).

You wrote earlier that Murdoch didn't allow critical questions concerning "wepons of mass destruction" accusations.
One should assume that readers felt themselves misguided and changed media. Did this happen?
A trained thinker can accept uncertainty and even doubts. He/ she can entertain thoughts contradicting own emotional needs. But most people just like to get carried away by their emotions.
"How is my haircut, Darling?" Does such a question desire truth?
Contradicting evidence for untrained thinkers is not an opportunity to close a gap in knowledge, but a nuisance which creates an inner unquiet and is best avoided.

Chinese politicians think the internet has to be regulated as there are too much fake news. In this discussion one has to see the educational background as well. In India people tell me really fantastic stuff. When I ask them their source, they answer "internet". What else to say?

If regulation for you means that the ambassador of an enemy country has to be invited for interview at the main viewership time, I'm with you.
I suppose the Nuremberg trials were meant to fight racism in the US. After Stalin's Poland policy it must have been quite a provocation for Russia as well. That was a really brave thing to do of Truman. Churchill after WW1 opposed Versailles, so I wouldn't expect anything else from a man like Churchill anyway.
And today? Where are such visionary politicians?
Was there any broadcasting of trials of Saddam's or Gaddafi's or Assad's politicians? Why not?
Is there nothing we can learn from the enemy's view, and be it only our own shortcomings? Today's mentality requires a black and white thinking. Are we an enlightened society?

Otherwise I doubt regulation can lead to more critical views. But then I don't know much about media policies. Mind to expand what policies you suggest?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 12:41 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Media-Prisoner Dilemma. If Fox gets real, One America News Network, even less tethered to the real world than Fox, will take their customers and advertising income.

I believe the mind of a considerable minority is better than media suggests. Suppose a newspaper writes in a style only critical thinkers appreciate.
Why would a company advertise in such a newspaper?

I believe every adult should be obliged to choose a weekly newspaper without advertisement. The government would pay 200 Euro/ year for it, it would be tax financed.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Sokes wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Media-Prisoner Dilemma. If Fox gets real, One America News Network, even less tethered to the real world than Fox, will take their customers and advertising income.

I believe the mind of a considerable minority is better than media suggests. Suppose a newspaper writes in a style only critical thinkers appreciate.
Why would a company advertise in such a newspaper?
.


I would expect there is a correlation between critical thinking skills and freely available income.
And being fact based and an easy read are not mutually exclusive either.
Now you can make an argument that a dumbed down, willing to believe almost everything, audience is a heck lot easier to sell to as a critical one, but even if that is your target audience, you still don't need to make up stuff.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
GDB
Posts: 13634
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Murdoch follows the money, with Iraq the opinion in the UK was different to that of the US, where FOX and the Bush admin pushed the line that Saddam had a hand in Sept 11th attacks, few here believed that but there was a feeling that in 1991, after the UN sanction effort to get Iraq out of Kuwait, he had been let off the hook by President HW Bush calling a halt, than urging the Iraqi's to remove Saddam but doing nothing when many of them, the Kurds in particular, were slaughtered by Saddam's surviving forces, forces that had been fleeing coalition attacks shortly before.

Plus memories of the use of chemical attacks on the Kurds were fresh in the UK, who took in numbers of refugees

Here we intersect with Blair. Though on the right of the Labour Party, Blair, much to Alistair Campbell's irritation, liked to have meetings with some left wing MP's who while not ministers, he respected. (Jeremy Corbyn was NOT one of them).
One of these was a Welsh MP, Ann Clwyd, she was involved with charities concerning the Kurds and there were refugees in her constituency.

Blair was morally outraged by their plight, as PM he had given little thought to foreign policy when first elected, however in Kosovo he had been outraged then by the attempted genocide by the Serbian regime, had led the charge to attack them, again with some in his party opposed, not only that he had persuaded Bill Clinton to get involved.
In Sierra Leone in 2000, rapid UK intervention prevented a dire situation before far worse, a small number of UK forces doing more to stabilize the situation than UN troops had managed.

But with Iraq in 2002/2003, he overestimated his influence with the US, Bush junior was friendly enough but he was not pulling the strings, Cheney et al were.
Blair had a number of foreign policy successes, perhaps he was bound to hit a wall at some point.
That's how we ended up in Iraq, why Blair played fast and loose to get UK intervention approved.

My objection to Murdoch is his corrosive effect on public life, the lies are legion.
After all, if you don't know anything, you'll believe anything.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 3:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
What I don't understand--sorta--is that Covid19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and men, and Fox News' audience is on average 70 years old and male. Seems self defeating.


Media-Prisoner Dilemma. If Fox gets real, One America News Network, even less tethered to the real world than Fox, will take their customers and advertising income.

Its a version of what Trump has: The Pandemic was the golden opportunity to ride a landslide into the 2nd term. But in order to do that, one would to acknowledge its existence and fight it effectively. So, with a President on record saying that "his numbers looking bad" is a worse outlook than Americans dying, remember the cruise ship, testings isn´t really an option. Without testing you can not get to the other side with your economy intact... but that is a long term goal.

Trump and Fox are essentially people that get a letter from their bank, basically know its a bounced check, but don´t open the letter... because until they do it could be something else.

Now.. the interesting question is whether class action suits will later bankrupt Fox. Heck, the only people more crazy than Trump, as in mental condition, are those that don´t see his rapid mental decline, and Fox News is either mentally sick on the organisation level on top of criminally negligent in knowingly promoting life threatening misinformation.

best regards
Thomas


In addition to what you say about opportunity cost, professional handling of the crisis is not the only way to capture independent and suburban women voters. One critical reason 45’s support and approval never budge is he’s a failure as a man - this crisis shows that he lacks the common decency and empathy to say anything to the affected and grieving beyond monotone platitudes - for a guy so ‘authentic’, that’s when he sounds the most fake. Nearly every other POTUS has been able to bring genuine comfort in some situation - except 39, and 45’s ratings are as bad.

40 - great speeches on loss of Challenger and investigating his own staff in Iran Contra, 41 - solemn handling of going to war, 42 - hugs for flood victims, 43 - hugs for 9/11 victims and first responders, 44 - hugs for Sandy victims. 45? Just empty platitudes on ‘we love you’ to grieving families from the rose garden and cold, scripted, cursory visits to disaster areas.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22205
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Remember that we had 11 cases and one death from Ebola in the United States and these same people were convinced that Obama was incompetent and should resign

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-c ... eak-2020-2

Remember the three Americans who died in Benghazi and that was proof positive that Hillary was not patriotic or empathetic enough to run the country? She even took personal responsibility for Benghazi under oath.

But, between 90,000 to 250,000 dead because of covid? meh....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/politics ... index.html
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm

All anyone ever needs to remember about Fox News and their care for the Conservative Agenda.

They are based in New York City.



Think about that for a long time. Their workers "SUFFER" from the same liberal policies they claim to hate and yet they choose to remain there.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Sokes
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I would expect there is a correlation between critical thinking skills and freely available income.

Good point.

tommy1808 wrote:
Now you can make an argument that a dumbed down, willing to believe almost everything, audience is a heck lot easier to sell to as a critical one, but even if that is your target audience, you still don't need to make up stuff.

IIRC the most frequent reason people go to psychologists are anxiety issues. They are very widespread.
So making up scary stuff should help to make a newspaper interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBdYmStZJ4&t=23s

Are there any studies between favorite newspaper and anxiety levels?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13378
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Wed May 13, 2020 8:29 pm

casinterest wrote:
All anyone ever needs to remember about Fox News and their care for the Conservative Agenda.

They are based in New York City.



Think about that for a long time. Their workers "SUFFER" from the same liberal policies they claim to hate and yet they choose to remain there.


You forget what happened to Phil Mickelson when he tried to move out of CA?
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu May 14, 2020 1:05 am

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
All anyone ever needs to remember about Fox News and their care for the Conservative Agenda.

They are based in New York City.



Think about that for a long time. Their workers "SUFFER" from the same liberal policies they claim to hate and yet they choose to remain there.


You forget what happened to Phil Mickelson when he tried to move out of CA?


What happened? he is still trying to move out of CA and go to Florida. Nothing is stopping him.

Heck Trump already bailed on NYC ,
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 am

casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
All anyone ever needs to remember about Fox News and their care for the Conservative Agenda.

They are based in New York City.



Think about that for a long time. Their workers "SUFFER" from the same liberal policies they claim to hate and yet they choose to remain there.


You forget what happened to Phil Mickelson when he tried to move out of CA?


What happened? he is still trying to move out of CA and go to Florida. Nothing is stopping him.

Heck Trump already bailed on NYC ,



New York is not the only thing trump has bailed on, have you got an hour? It will take me that long to list them all. I guess I could start with his wives :shock: :o
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 am

WarRI1 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You forget what happened to Phil Mickelson when he tried to move out of CA?


What happened? he is still trying to move out of CA and go to Florida. Nothing is stopping him.

Heck Trump already bailed on NYC ,



New York is not the only thing trump has bailed on, have you got an hour? It will take me that long to list them all. I guess I could start with his wives :shock: :o

I thought he balled them all while bailing on others?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 am

casinterest wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

What happened? he is still trying to move out of CA and go to Florida. Nothing is stopping him.

Heck Trump already bailed on NYC ,



New York is not the only thing trump has bailed on, have you got an hour? It will take me that long to list them all. I guess I could start with his wives :shock: :o

I thought he balled them all while bailing on others?


There is nothing that this person will not do to blame others. I would normally have said man, but that is not what fits The Captain. A man lives up to his responsibilities, so it would be another abomination to describe him as such. :eek:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am

Looks like Sinclair Broadcasting and Fox news are at it again,

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronaviru ... -promoting

"On May 17, Sinclair Broadcast Group’s national Sunday news program, Full Measure with Sharyl Attkisson, featured a hydroxychloroquine segment suggesting that mainstream media rejected the drug as a potential treatment because of its promotion by President Donald Trump. While the segment mentioned a French study, presumably the oft-mentioned one by French scientist Dr. Didier Raoult, it did not reference any of the problems with his widely criticized initial study, and it downplayed deaths among COVID-19 patients who took hydroxychloroquine."
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Fox news is trying to defend Tucker Carlson by advancing the notion that his viewers "realize" that he is nothing but a Opinion artist and all of his "facts" are not to be taken as such.

For those of you that still waste your time watch nightly shows on Fox, you should understand you are not getting facts. Fox even said so.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... it-1298999

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm

casinterest wrote:
Fox news is trying to defend Tucker Carlson by advancing the notion that his viewers "realize" that he is nothing but a Opinion artist and all of his "facts" are not to be taken as such.

For those of you that still waste your time watch nightly shows on Fox, you should understand you are not getting facts. Fox even said so.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... it-1298999

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.


Here is a Media Matters comparison of Tucker in March vs. now, saying completely opposite things about masks. Charlatan would be a compliment.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1280688 ... 09568?s=20
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:13 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Fox news is trying to defend Tucker Carlson by advancing the notion that his viewers "realize" that he is nothing but a Opinion artist and all of his "facts" are not to be taken as such.

For those of you that still waste your time watch nightly shows on Fox, you should understand you are not getting facts. Fox even said so.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... it-1298999

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.


Here is a Media Matters comparison of Tucker in March vs. now, saying completely opposite things about masks. Charlatan would be a compliment.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1280688 ... 09568?s=20



We know it to be true, but Red Meat America that still watches Fox news and listens to the Right wing radio all take them as protectors of freedom. They never understand that their "Freedom" always comes at the cost of Facts and Truth.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:22 pm

casinterest wrote:
Fox news is trying to defend Tucker Carlson by advancing the notion that his viewers "realize" that he is nothing but a Opinion artist and all of his "facts" are not to be taken as such.

For those of you that still waste your time watch nightly shows on Fox, you should understand you are not getting facts. Fox even said so.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... it-1298999

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.

The interesting thing about this is that it's a "do as we say, not as we do" standard for the network. Carlson, Hannity, Pirro, and the circuses that are Fox and Friends and Outnumbered...they can spew out whatever they want under the guise of being "opinions", never mind that even though they have the right to present a counterpoint to news, they chose to report and create panic as if they're sources of news themselves.

Now, Maddow, Anderson Cooper, Chris Hayes, Joy Reid, and other personalities from other channels immediately get called out for even the slightest error in their reporting, despite being in the same category as the Fox News commentators.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Fox news is trying to defend Tucker Carlson by advancing the notion that his viewers "realize" that he is nothing but a Opinion artist and all of his "facts" are not to be taken as such.

For those of you that still waste your time watch nightly shows on Fox, you should understand you are not getting facts. Fox even said so.


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... it-1298999

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.

The interesting thing about this is that it's a "do as we say, not as we do" standard for the network. Carlson, Hannity, Pirro, and the circuses that are Fox and Friends and Outnumbered...they can spew out whatever they want under the guise of being "opinions", never mind that even though they have the right to present a counterpoint to news, they chose to report and create panic as if they're sources of news themselves.

Now, Maddow, Anderson Cooper, Chris Hayes, Joy Reid, and other personalities from other channels immediately get called out for even the slightest error in their reporting, despite being in the same category as the Fox News commentators.



Well History is not kind to them as Aaron747 pointed out.

Here is another article relating to Covid coverage. Ingrham declared it all over on May 7. Now look at where we are.

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronaviru ... ida-mirage

For weeks the media has been showering praise on Gov. Andrew Cuomo for his handling of New York's COVID crisis, but at the same time they were warning us that Florida under the leadership of Gov. Ron DeSantis was a ticking time bomb for viral spread,” said Fox host Laura Ingraham on the May 7 edition of her prime-time show. “That ticking time bomb never went off.”

Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am

No coincidence that Bolsonaro, Brazil’s version of Trump has also led his nation into catastrophe. Bolsonaro now has Covid19, so we’ll see if he changes his tune. The pathetic macho attitude he has probably won’t allow this though. He’s probably said the dumbest things I’ve ever heard in my entire life. We definitely know that a village is missing its idiot with that imbecile.
 
BN747
Posts: 7754
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:16 am

Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Boy talk about a quantum Leap, they just weren't satisfied with keeping their viewers dumbed down...now their aiming for the bleachers..

I bet this is the source of all these GOP politicians chanting, screw Covid..so what if some people die! Get the economy up and going!"

Has anyone told them that the Economy cannot go without people..actual humans, living ones. Dead ppl can't run an economy nor can dead ppl patronize (power) an economy.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5227
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:35 am

BN747 wrote:

Has anyone told them that the Economy cannot go without people..actual humans, living ones. Dead ppl can't run an economy nor can dead ppl patronize (power) an economy.

BN747


I'm sorry, but no.

The thing about Covid is that it doesn't kill nearly anywhere enough to make a measurable impact on the overall population.
It currently kills about 5k people a day Worldwide and to put this in perspective, around 160k die everyday on the planet and 360k are born.
With a death rate estimated to be below 2% (probably closer to 1% or less with simple and sensible prevention measures taken), it wouldn't even prevent the overall population from growing on a daily basis if it was allowed to rip through the entire World population unimpeded. In fact, it would barely register as a very slight decrease in the fast global population growth for a year or 2.

Add to this the fact that it affects mostly people near the end of their lives and that their money will pass hands and still flow, and, cynically, there technically would barely be any financial impact on the global economy.

Not that this is anything I'd wish, but I dislike the cleavage between what seems to be mostly extreme opinions on either shutting everything down until it's gone or opening everything up and let it do its thing.
There will be a large human cost in terms of lives lost, but there will also be an enormous human cost in terms of livelihoods destroyed and hardship endured thanks to how we react to the outbreak. There will also be lives lost due to the unintended economic consequences of these harsh measures, mostly in poorer countries.
There needs to be a balance stricken between those opposing necessities. We won't have our cake and eat it too, whatever we do.

Allowing for a large death toll is not acceptable, but exposing an order of magnitude more people to hardship for years to come isn't either. If none of us lose a minute of sleep over the 160k people who die everyday, many of preventable or treatable diseases, many of diseases which aren't adequately researched, then it is a little hypocritical to ruin everyone's lives for an additional 3%, however cynical that might sound. Not to mention that there is little we can do to prevent exposure to the virus other than wait for a vaccine. It is now too prevalent to eradicate.

This of course does not mean that the raging idiots throwing fits because they're told to wear a mask or believe the virus is a hoax should have their way. It is everyone's responsibility to at least adopt simple measures to limit the spread.
But it is worthy to note that the economy is only suffering because of our reaction to the virus, not directly because of it.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:16 am

I will never understand why a media business like Fox News would cater to 70-year-old white males demographic. Why wouldn't they target the younger and more affluent?
instead, they have gone after those in their twilight years living on a fixed income.
 
tommy1808
Topic Author
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Fox News, and especially Hannity, getting people dead...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 am

Francoflier wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Has anyone told them that the Economy cannot go without people..actual humans, living ones. Dead ppl can't run an economy nor can dead ppl patronize (power) an economy.

BN747


I'm sorry, but no.

The thing about Covid is that it doesn't kill nearly anywhere enough to make a measurable impact on the overall population.
It currently kills about 5k people a day Worldwide and to put this in perspective, around 160k die everyday on the planet and 360k are born.
With a death rate estimated to be below 2% (probably closer to 1% or less with simple and sensible prevention measures taken), it wouldn't even prevent the overall population from growing on a daily basis if it was allowed to rip through the entire World population unimpeded. In fact, it would barely register as a very slight decrease in the fast global population growth for a year or 2..


i guess that means you´d be perfectly willing to play Russian roulette with a 100 chamber revolver every day......
The problem is not that people may die and stop being economically active, but people unsure about the economic situation in the near to mid term future don´t spend any money they don´t absolutely have to.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B777LRF, TheF15Ace, tommy1808 and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos