Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sokes
Topic Author

Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 pm

I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption. Alcohol lowers the immune system. She said that in the US more people than in Germany have two, three beer a day. (Is it true?) So she suspects alcohol consumption below alcoholism and not the healthcare system may be responsible for the more dramatic situation in the US.

These are all only assumptions. Very likely these assumptions are rubbish as I never read about it. But then infos concerning Covid 19 are generally not very good.
Do you know people below 65 who needed intensive care because of Covid 19? If yes, how old and what's their daily alcohol consumption? Please mention if the patient had diabetes or other conditions.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

bmartino99

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Just off population alone, the US being ~328 million and Germany being ~83 million, I'd say more people in the US than in Germany have multiple beers a day. Now, whether the percentage of the population having multiple beers a day is higher in the US than Germany, I have no idea.

invertalon

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

This is something that will never be answered. Too many factors.

Happiness, social circle, stress management, diet, exercise, etc...

casinterest

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Beer!
Because no good story ever started with "Let's have a Salad".
Where ever you go, there you are.

afcjets

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 pm

I heard it's easier to catch something if you're not totally hydrated because moisture creates a barrier.

jetmatt777

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I have certainly increased my alcohol consumption. Not to drown anything out, or medicate with it. I just happen to be at home more, which drinking beer usually is a byproduct of.

Aaron747

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 am

As others said, very difficult to study links between consumption and victims of the virus.

As for effects of the whole crisis, drinking is up substantially, as expected. We didn’t know what would happen in the wine industry - supermarkets are a big driver of sales traditionally in the domestic US market. Sales are actually up 60% compared to this time last year. Some online consumer wine clubs have reported 300-400% increases in sign ups and sales activity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DocLightning

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:48 am

Sokes wrote:
I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption.

She's wrong. I mean, alcohol consumption isn't the most salubrious activity, but 58,000 Americans didn't drink themselves to death in two months in 2020 who didn't drink themselves to death in 2019.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ltbewr

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Alcohol use, especially by heavy consumers, could be a factor with some who get Covid-19 being hospitalized and die as may compound pre-existing conditions that weaken the body and thus more susceptible viral and most other diseases.

Sokes
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

afcjets wrote:
I heard it's easier to catch something if you're not totally hydrated because moisture creates a barrier.

I forgot about that. My bad.

Sokes
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Sokes wrote:
Do you know people below 65 who needed intensive care because of Covid 19? If yes, how old and what's their daily alcohol consumption? Please mention if the patient had diabetes or other conditions.

invertalon wrote:
This is something that will never be answered. Too many factors.

Happiness, social circle, stress management, diet, exercise, etc...

I'm not trying to make a scientific study. It's a hypothesis and I wonder if it can be immediately dismissed or if it's worth spending more thought on it.
There is nothing difficult about my question. I didn't ask to confirm or reject the hypothesis. I asked for case descriptions.

Francoflier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Sokes wrote:
I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption.

She's wrong. I mean, alcohol consumption isn't the most salubrious activity, but 58,000 Americans didn't drink themselves to death in two months in 2020 who didn't drink themselves to death in 2019.

She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

DocLightning

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Francoflier wrote:
She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.

No argument here. The lockdowns are not cost-free. But they are saving more lives than just virus deaths. California reports $4Bn less costs in injuries and deaths due to automobile accidents. Fortunately, I don't generally drink (or smoke pot or use any recreational drugs other than a cup of coffee a day), but I can see how this is driving a lot of people to drink and consume a huge amount of pot.

And just to be clear: I hate this. I hate empty shelves. I hate not being able to hang out with friends. I miss swimming (my preferred exercise). I miss going to restaurants. But sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we hate.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Sokes
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:33 pm

How do many of you know that she is wrong? Because the newspapers didn't make a connection between hard cases and alcohol consumption yet? Well, the newspapers also told that only the very old get affected. I think even Boris Johnson wasn't informed properly.

Google doesn't give hard information, but here something about immune system:
https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2020-03 ... ht-not-mix

seahawk

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

No argument here. The lockdowns are not cost-free. But they are saving more lives than just virus deaths. California reports $4Bn less costs in injuries and deaths due to automobile accidents. Fortunately, I don't generally drink (or smoke pot or use any recreational drugs other than a cup of coffee a day), but I can see how this is driving a lot of people to drink and consume a huge amount of pot.

And just to be clear: I hate this. I hate empty shelves. I hate not being able to hang out with friends. I miss swimming (my preferred exercise). I miss going to restaurants. But sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we hate.

So you think the lockdown should never be lifted, because the car accidents would still be lower even if there would be no so called virus.

Aaron747

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:39 pm

seahawk wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

So you think the lockdown should never be lifted, because the car accidents would still be lower even if there would be no so called virus.

What is it with you guys and just inventing things that were never said..?? Find the quote.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DocLightning

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:59 am

seahawk wrote:

I never said that, but you can go ahead and sound crazy.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

seahawk

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 am

So dying in a car accident is acceptable, dying from the so called virus is not?

Aaron747

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 am

seahawk wrote:
So dying in a car accident is acceptable, dying from the so called virus is not?

'So-called' virus..? Lawdamercy :eyebrow:

Newark727

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:45 am

seahawk wrote:

So, uh, I'm afraid to ask, but what do you call it?

T18

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am

I'm kinda surprised to hear consumption is up, seems like every time I've been to the store the Alcohol aisle is the one that is always been fully stocked up, I'd (incorrectly it sounds) assumed that mean the demand was down, after all that stuff aint cheap.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

ltbewr

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am

During the lock down, bars and restaurants have been closed, so a massive shift of alcohol consumption to homes. People have also been purchasing more product but less frequently. Large 24 to 30 packs of can beer have seen major increases in demand. Some states have allowed direct sales of beer and wine to consumers from small producers rather than via stores. It will be interesting to see the difference in alcoholic beverage demand from March 2020 to the end of the crises versus pre-pandemic means.

afcjets

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:37 pm

FWIW while I never abused alcohol if I ever bought it at the store as opposed to a bar, I would grab a beer or two or three from the fridge almost nightly until it was gone. While I wouldn't wake up with a hangover obviously, I could tell I had a drink the night before and didn't like not feeling my best. I stopped buying it because I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there and going out for drinks every once in awhile was enough for me. Eventually though I decided to quit alcohol altogether as it wasn't as fun as it was as a teen and in my 20s anyway. Best decision I ever made. As you get older it's better to get your antioxidants from things that don't also have the potential to cause a lot of oxidative stress.

johns624

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:00 pm

I don't think it's so much the case that a few beers makes you more susceptible to the virus than people who drink every day normally have other health issues due to making other poor choices.

mad99

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:49 pm

I used to think needed to drink at the weekend because of my job. It turns out that’s what’s keeping me sober!

scbriml

Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm

T18 wrote:
I'm kinda surprised to hear consumption is up, seems like every time I've been to the store the Alcohol aisle is the one that is always been fully stocked up, I'd (incorrectly it sounds) assumed that mean the demand was down, after all that stuff aint cheap.

UK supermarkets have reported a big uptick in alcohol sales (not surprising with all pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants closed), and they're obviously coping very well with the demand because there are 'walls' of cases of beer at the entrance.

My wife and I only normally drink at the weekend (Friday counts as the weekend, right?), but during lockdown we have succumbed to the occasional spontaneous "Oh bollocks, I'm going to have a drink!" moment. To which the other immediately responds "Well if you're having one...".

It now looks like I picked up a bad case of Corona at the supermarket...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sokes
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Good news:
"Congress MLA from Sangod, Kota, and former minister Bharat Singh has asserted that when rubbing alcohol can remove coronavirus from the hands then its consumption can also wipe out coronavirus from the throat of wine consumers. He also claimed that it would be better than consuming illicit liquor."
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... A6rvM.html

T18

Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Sokes wrote:
Good news:
"Congress MLA from Sangod, Kota, and former minister Bharat Singh has asserted that when rubbing alcohol can remove coronavirus from the hands then its consumption can also wipe out coronavirus from the throat of wine consumers. He also claimed that it would be better than consuming illicit liquor."
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... A6rvM.html

Oh lord not again....
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

stl07

Sun May 03, 2020 12:26 am

Just heard on TV that alcoholics in India are drinking hand sanitizer as liquor availability has plummeted due to supply chain issues
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Sokes
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 am

stl07 wrote:
Just heard on TV that alcoholics in India are drinking hand sanitizer as liquor availability has plummeted due to supply chain issues

I also heard that. But I struggle to believe it. Though among 1.300.000.000 people one can probably find 10 nuts who do something like this.

KFTG

Sun May 03, 2020 10:17 am

Can confirm, alcohol consumption is up.

GDB

Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 am

There is of course, a downside;
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... on-experts

I have had to be teetotal for 20 years and 2 months, not because I was a heavy boozer but I started taking Methotrexate to treat as a major disease controller, Rheumatoid Arthritis.
The medical advice was very clear, please do not drink on this medication.
(It's primarily an anti cancer drug which suppresses the immune system, RA is an auto-immune illness).

Given how aggressive it was, me being somewhat atypical in gender and age to have it, I took the advice and saw the benefits very quickly.
On this med however you do have to have blood tests every 6 or so weeks, to ensure that it is not damaging your liver and other side affects, which kind of brought it home to follow the advice.
I am 20 years later, on about the highest dose they will allow, I have over the years asked how I have avoided side affects, 'you followed the advice'.

Do I miss it? Yes, in certain social situations, not tempted though, ever.
Since I remember how bad I was getting with the illness.

The report linked about, referencing the cuts in support, not a Covid thing but a decade of 'austerity', that and mental health support, not headline grabbing but for many vital.

I know that the hard pressed and in danger NHS staff DO appreciate the UK's now ritual of clapping and other shows of support each Thursday, however seeing Ministers and MP's from a party that not only voted down much needed pay increases in 2017 but cheered in the Commons when they did so, ugh!