Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 pm

I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption. Alcohol lowers the immune system. She said that in the US more people than in Germany have two, three beer a day. (Is it true?) So she suspects alcohol consumption below alcoholism and not the healthcare system may be responsible for the more dramatic situation in the US.

These are all only assumptions. Very likely these assumptions are rubbish as I never read about it. But then infos concerning Covid 19 are generally not very good.
Do you know people below 65 who needed intensive care because of Covid 19? If yes, how old and what's their daily alcohol consumption? Please mention if the patient had diabetes or other conditions.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
bmartino99
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Just off population alone, the US being ~328 million and Germany being ~83 million, I'd say more people in the US than in Germany have multiple beers a day. Now, whether the percentage of the population having multiple beers a day is higher in the US than Germany, I have no idea.
 
invertalon
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

This is something that will never be answered. Too many factors.

Happiness, social circle, stress management, diet, exercise, etc...
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11598
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Beer!
Because no good story ever started with "Let's have a Salad".
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 pm

I heard it's easier to catch something if you're not totally hydrated because moisture creates a barrier.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I have certainly increased my alcohol consumption. Not to drown anything out, or medicate with it. I just happen to be at home more, which drinking beer usually is a byproduct of.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12357
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 am

As others said, very difficult to study links between consumption and victims of the virus.

As for effects of the whole crisis, drinking is up substantially, as expected. We didn’t know what would happen in the wine industry - supermarkets are a big driver of sales traditionally in the domestic US market. Sales are actually up 60% compared to this time last year. Some online consumer wine clubs have reported 300-400% increases in sign ups and sales activity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21840
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:48 am

Sokes wrote:
I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption.


She's wrong. I mean, alcohol consumption isn't the most salubrious activity, but 58,000 Americans didn't drink themselves to death in two months in 2020 who didn't drink themselves to death in 2019.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15214
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Alcohol use, especially by heavy consumers, could be a factor with some who get Covid-19 being hospitalized and die as may compound pre-existing conditions that weaken the body and thus more susceptible viral and most other diseases.
 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

afcjets wrote:
I heard it's easier to catch something if you're not totally hydrated because moisture creates a barrier.

I forgot about that. My bad.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Sokes wrote:
Do you know people below 65 who needed intensive care because of Covid 19? If yes, how old and what's their daily alcohol consumption? Please mention if the patient had diabetes or other conditions.


invertalon wrote:
This is something that will never be answered. Too many factors.

Happiness, social circle, stress management, diet, exercise, etc...

I'm not trying to make a scientific study. It's a hypothesis and I wonder if it can be immediately dismissed or if it's worth spending more thought on it.
There is nothing difficult about my question. I didn't ask to confirm or reject the hypothesis. I asked for case descriptions.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5371
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Sokes wrote:
I spoke with a retired person who worked in pharmaceutical research. She isn't concerned about the virus and mentioned that serious cases in young age may be related to increased alcohol consumption.


She's wrong. I mean, alcohol consumption isn't the most salubrious activity, but 58,000 Americans didn't drink themselves to death in two months in 2020 who didn't drink themselves to death in 2019.


She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21840
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Francoflier wrote:
She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.


No argument here. The lockdowns are not cost-free. But they are saving more lives than just virus deaths. California reports $4Bn less costs in injuries and deaths due to automobile accidents. Fortunately, I don't generally drink (or smoke pot or use any recreational drugs other than a cup of coffee a day), but I can see how this is driving a lot of people to drink and consume a huge amount of pot.

And just to be clear: I hate this. I hate empty shelves. I hate not being able to hang out with friends. I miss swimming (my preferred exercise). I miss going to restaurants. But sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we hate.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:33 pm

How do many of you know that she is wrong? Because the newspapers didn't make a connection between hard cases and alcohol consumption yet? Well, the newspapers also told that only the very old get affected. I think even Boris Johnson wasn't informed properly.

Google doesn't give hard information, but here something about immune system:
https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2020-03 ... ht-not-mix
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.


No argument here. The lockdowns are not cost-free. But they are saving more lives than just virus deaths. California reports $4Bn less costs in injuries and deaths due to automobile accidents. Fortunately, I don't generally drink (or smoke pot or use any recreational drugs other than a cup of coffee a day), but I can see how this is driving a lot of people to drink and consume a huge amount of pot.

And just to be clear: I hate this. I hate empty shelves. I hate not being able to hang out with friends. I miss swimming (my preferred exercise). I miss going to restaurants. But sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we hate.


So you think the lockdown should never be lifted, because the car accidents would still be lower even if there would be no so called virus.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12357
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:39 pm

seahawk wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
She is, but it would be wrong to brush the issue aside along with one of the many unintended consequences of the lockdowns.

If we keep tabs on the virus deaths, then we should also keep an eye on the number of deaths the countermeasures generate.


No argument here. The lockdowns are not cost-free. But they are saving more lives than just virus deaths. California reports $4Bn less costs in injuries and deaths due to automobile accidents. Fortunately, I don't generally drink (or smoke pot or use any recreational drugs other than a cup of coffee a day), but I can see how this is driving a lot of people to drink and consume a huge amount of pot.

And just to be clear: I hate this. I hate empty shelves. I hate not being able to hang out with friends. I miss swimming (my preferred exercise). I miss going to restaurants. But sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we hate.


So you think the lockdown should never be lifted, because the car accidents would still be lower even if there would be no so called virus.


What is it with you guys and just inventing things that were never said..?? Find the quote.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21840
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:59 am

seahawk wrote:
So you think the lockdown should never be lifted, because the car accidents would still be lower even if there would be no so called virus.


I never said that, but you can go ahead and sound crazy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 am

So dying in a car accident is acceptable, dying from the so called virus is not?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12357
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 am

seahawk wrote:
So dying in a car accident is acceptable, dying from the so called virus is not?


'So-called' virus..? Lawdamercy :eyebrow:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Newark727
Posts: 2033
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:45 am

seahawk wrote:
So dying in a car accident is acceptable, dying from the so called virus is not?


So, uh, I'm afraid to ask, but what do you call it?
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am

I'm kinda surprised to hear consumption is up, seems like every time I've been to the store the Alcohol aisle is the one that is always been fully stocked up, I'd (incorrectly it sounds) assumed that mean the demand was down, after all that stuff aint cheap.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15214
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am

During the lock down, bars and restaurants have been closed, so a massive shift of alcohol consumption to homes. People have also been purchasing more product but less frequently. Large 24 to 30 packs of can beer have seen major increases in demand. Some states have allowed direct sales of beer and wine to consumers from small producers rather than via stores. It will be interesting to see the difference in alcoholic beverage demand from March 2020 to the end of the crises versus pre-pandemic means.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:37 pm

FWIW while I never abused alcohol if I ever bought it at the store as opposed to a bar, I would grab a beer or two or three from the fridge almost nightly until it was gone. While I wouldn't wake up with a hangover obviously, I could tell I had a drink the night before and didn't like not feeling my best. I stopped buying it because I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there and going out for drinks every once in awhile was enough for me. Eventually though I decided to quit alcohol altogether as it wasn't as fun as it was as a teen and in my 20s anyway. Best decision I ever made. As you get older it's better to get your antioxidants from things that don't also have the potential to cause a lot of oxidative stress.
 
johns624
Posts: 2795
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:00 pm

I don't think it's so much the case that a few beers makes you more susceptible to the virus than people who drink every day normally have other health issues due to making other poor choices.
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1244
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:49 pm

I used to think needed to drink at the weekend because of my job. It turns out that’s what’s keeping me sober!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19122
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm

T18 wrote:
I'm kinda surprised to hear consumption is up, seems like every time I've been to the store the Alcohol aisle is the one that is always been fully stocked up, I'd (incorrectly it sounds) assumed that mean the demand was down, after all that stuff aint cheap.


UK supermarkets have reported a big uptick in alcohol sales (not surprising with all pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants closed), and they're obviously coping very well with the demand because there are 'walls' of cases of beer at the entrance.

My wife and I only normally drink at the weekend (Friday counts as the weekend, right?), but during lockdown we have succumbed to the occasional spontaneous "Oh bollocks, I'm going to have a drink!" moment. To which the other immediately responds "Well if you're having one...".

It now looks like I picked up a bad case of Corona at the supermarket...

Image
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Good news:
"Congress MLA from Sangod, Kota, and former minister Bharat Singh has asserted that when rubbing alcohol can remove coronavirus from the hands then its consumption can also wipe out coronavirus from the throat of wine consumers. He also claimed that it would be better than consuming illicit liquor."
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... A6rvM.html
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Sokes wrote:
Good news:
"Congress MLA from Sangod, Kota, and former minister Bharat Singh has asserted that when rubbing alcohol can remove coronavirus from the hands then its consumption can also wipe out coronavirus from the throat of wine consumers. He also claimed that it would be better than consuming illicit liquor."
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... A6rvM.html


Oh lord not again....
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2472
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sun May 03, 2020 12:26 am

Just heard on TV that alcoholics in India are drinking hand sanitizer as liquor availability has plummeted due to supply chain issues
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
Sokes
Topic Author
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 am

stl07 wrote:
Just heard on TV that alcoholics in India are drinking hand sanitizer as liquor availability has plummeted due to supply chain issues

I also heard that. But I struggle to believe it. Though among 1.300.000.000 people one can probably find 10 nuts who do something like this.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
KFTG
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sun May 03, 2020 10:17 am

Can confirm, alcohol consumption is up.
 
GDB
Posts: 13759
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Covid 19 and alcohol consumption

Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 am

There is of course, a downside;
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... on-experts

I have had to be teetotal for 20 years and 2 months, not because I was a heavy boozer but I started taking Methotrexate to treat as a major disease controller, Rheumatoid Arthritis.
The medical advice was very clear, please do not drink on this medication.
(It's primarily an anti cancer drug which suppresses the immune system, RA is an auto-immune illness).

Given how aggressive it was, me being somewhat atypical in gender and age to have it, I took the advice and saw the benefits very quickly.
On this med however you do have to have blood tests every 6 or so weeks, to ensure that it is not damaging your liver and other side affects, which kind of brought it home to follow the advice.
I am 20 years later, on about the highest dose they will allow, I have over the years asked how I have avoided side affects, 'you followed the advice'.

Do I miss it? Yes, in certain social situations, not tempted though, ever.
Since I remember how bad I was getting with the illness.

The report linked about, referencing the cuts in support, not a Covid thing but a decade of 'austerity', that and mental health support, not headline grabbing but for many vital.

I know that the hard pressed and in danger NHS staff DO appreciate the UK's now ritual of clapping and other shows of support each Thursday, however seeing Ministers and MP's from a party that not only voted down much needed pay increases in 2017 but cheered in the Commons when they did so, ugh!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: c933103, Google [Bot], kalvado and 44 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos