Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

9 Year Anniversary of the Killing of Bin Laden

Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Today marks the 9 year anniversary of the killing of Bin Laden in Pakistan by forces of the US Military in a manhunt that lasted since the attacks on 9/11. It is a very important event in history and something that we should thank America for.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1214027&p=17970877&hilit=Bin+laden+killed#p17970877

DTVG

Re: 9 Year Anniversary of the Killing of Bin Laden

Sat May 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Well I view it as a largely symbolic event and not necessarily a major achievement in counterterrorism efforts
Quite interesting how he dragged the US into its longest (and apparently unwinnable) war in history.

BravoOne

Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 pm

This forum is obviously for the left wing leaning individuals. I give BO credit where credit is due and the world is a better place without this guy, and his family for that matter.

Goos work US!

ltbewr

Sat May 02, 2020 10:58 pm

BravoOne wrote:
This forum is obviously for the left wing leaning individuals. I give BO credit where credit is due and the world is a better place without this guy, and his family for that matter.

Goos work US!

I am a 'liberal' and have no problem with the summary execution of OBL. Its too bad it couldn't have been done a week after 9/11, not a decade later. A part of me would have wanted to have him beaten to the edge of living then thrown out of a helicopter at 1000 feet - like some of the 9/11 victims who died jumping from the flaming Tower 1 on 9/11. The bad part from the job was the loss of a 'stealth' helicopter, with likely key parts getting sold to China.

jetwet1

Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 am

ltbewr wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Goos work US!

I am a 'liberal' and have no problem with the summary execution of OBL. Its too bad it couldn't have been done a week after 9/11, not a decade later. A part of me would have wanted to have him beaten to the edge of living then thrown out of a helicopter at 1000 feet - like some of the 9/11 victims who died jumping from the flaming Tower 1 on 9/11. The bad part from the job was the loss of a 'stealth' helicopter, with likely key parts getting sold to China.

Could not agree more.

There are times during our lives where we remember exactly where we were and what we were doing.

9/11 is one of those times.

When Obama made the announcement is another.

Dutchy

Mon May 04, 2020 6:23 am

BravoOne wrote:
This forum is obviously for the left wing leaning individuals.

I guess you are from the US and leaning towards the right wing. You have to understand that US politics, in general, are quite right-wing, the Democrats have some point of view. which would be considered farther right then right-wing main parties in the Netherlands. So, yeah from your point of view, I can understand that you view the forum as left-wing.

BravoOne wrote:
I give BO credit where credit is due and the world is a better place without this guy, and his family for that matter.

Goos work US!

They should have picked him up and give him a trial, much better publicity, and would not have made Bin Laden the marter status that he. has now. A victory for democracy if you are able to put your worst enemy to the justice system, instead of executing him on. the spot. It would be a hell of a job to pick an unbiased jury though, with your ridiculously jury system, instead of professional judges.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Elite

Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 am

Dutchy wrote:
I guess you are from the US and leaning towards the right wing. You have to understand that US politics, in general, are quite right-wing, the Democrats have some point of view. which would be considered farther right then right-wing main parties in the Netherlands. So, yeah from your point of view, I can understand that you view the forum as left-wing.

That is hard to fathom as in general, American politics has polarized quite a bit, and a large portion of the Democratic base is actually quite far left now by all accounts. I am not familiar with the Netherlands specifically, but I believe Europe in general has gone way overboard with the "leftism" that it would put off most moderate American Democrats.

And with the rise in far right parties and populist movements, I think a lot of Europeans are probably fed up as well.

Sokes

Mon May 04, 2020 11:27 am

It's unfortunate that the order was "kill, not capture". Would it not have been profitable to capture him to find out more about the network and how 9/11 was organized?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Sokes

Mon May 04, 2020 11:30 am

Elite wrote:
... I believe Europe in general has gone way overboard with the "leftism" that it would put off most moderate American Democrats.

And with the rise in far right parties and populist movements, I think a lot of Europeans are probably fed up as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you expand?

Dutchy

Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 am

Elite wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That is hard to fathom as in general, American politics has polarized quite a bit, and a large portion of the Democratic base is actually quite far left now by all accounts. I am not familiar with the Netherlands specifically, but I believe Europe in general has gone way overboard with the "leftism" that it would put off most moderate American Democrats.

That's what I said. America is quite right-winged in general. More so then most of the world actually (if it is actually a democracy).

Elite wrote:

That's quite a super visual "analysis" of the situation in Europe.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

einsteinboricua

Mon May 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Sokes wrote:
It's unfortunate that the order was "kill, not capture". Would it not have been profitable to capture him to find out more about the network and how 9/11 was organized?

Do you really think that a guy that lived in an essential house arrest would know about how Al Qaeda had evolved since he went into hiding? His second in command had taken over the organization's operations by then. The mastermind behind 9/11 was already apprehended and sentenced to jail; OBL only approved the plane, provided the funds, and directed it (I'm not downplaying his role; it's likely that without his money, this would not have happened).

I think it was also better to do a "kill, not capture" order. You don't want to create the optics of public display of a person. Besides, after capture, where would you take him? Guantanamo? A high security prison stateside? Hand him over to the Saudis for a trial? Killing him would also blunt any motive for an Al Qaeda counterattack: if he's alive, Al Qaeda could plot more terrorist attacks with the objective to set OBL free; with OBL dead (captured after nearly a decade in hiding), what's Al Qaeda's leverage?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Sokes

Mon May 04, 2020 3:22 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Sokes wrote:

Do you really think that a guy that lived in an essential house arrest would know about how Al Qaeda had evolved since he went into hiding? His second in command had taken over the organization's operations by then. The mastermind behind 9/11 was already apprehended and sentenced to jail; OBL only approved the plane, provided the funds, and directed it (I'm not downplaying his role; it's likely that without his money, this would not have happened).

I think it was also better to do a "kill, not capture" order. You don't want to create the optics of public display of a person. Besides, after capture, where would you take him? Guantanamo? A high security prison stateside? Hand him over to the Saudis for a trial? Killing him would also blunt any motive for an Al Qaeda counterattack: if he's alive, Al Qaeda could plot more terrorist attacks with the objective to set OBL free; with OBL dead (captured after nearly a decade in hiding), what's Al Qaeda's leverage?

I remember 9/11. A friend phoned me and said to put the TV on. Within hours of the attack the German news showed that the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan started an offensive.
"By 2001 the Northern Alliance controlled less than 10% of the country, cornered in the north-east and based in Badakhshan province."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Alliance

I started wondering if this offensive was planned for more than these few hours? Again a few hours later the news disappeared from the news channel.
An important commander was killed two days earlier by Al Qaeda suicide attack. Maybe that offensive was the reaction. But I tend to believe the best way to figure what is happening is to see what events happen together. At any rate I found it fishy that this news wasn't followed up. I would have liked to hear what Bin Laden had to say about events surrounding 9/11.

I also fail to understand how one can fight Taliban and support Pakistan at the same time. There must be some reasons. Maybe Bin Laden could have explained it to us?

Anyway I always like to hear both sides in a story.
I also liked when Sadam Hussein offered Bush a TV interview. For some reason the other side's view shouldn't be heard.

dmg626

Tue May 05, 2020 12:21 am

It was great hearing that news, well deserved bullets for him and awesome job by seal team 6

Aaron747

Tue May 05, 2020 1:57 am

Sokes wrote:

He and his associates did not intend to be captured - they were heavily armed and Seal Team 6 was aware of that fact pre-mission.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Sokes

Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

He and his associates did not intend to be captured - they were heavily armed and Seal Team 6 was aware of that fact pre-mission.

How do you know?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... _the_House

Assuming you were right: I believe if they wanted him alive, they would have got him alive. Unless Bin Laden had to kill himself.

Aaron747

Tue May 05, 2020 3:46 am

Sokes wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

How do you know?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... _the_House

Assuming you were right: I believe if they wanted him alive, they would have got him alive. Unless Bin Laden had to kill himself.

Probably true, but also likely the US didn’t want him taken alive, for very good reasons:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-osama ... aken-alive
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

sierrakilo44

Tue May 05, 2020 5:17 am

The problem with things like killing OBL and more recently people like Solemani is the US loses it's credibility as a world leader on morality. How can they criticise other nations (I'm mostly thinking China at the moment) if they're going to commit assassinations all over the world. Of course some will try to justify this hypocrisy, but it falls flat.

DL717

Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am

ltbewr wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Goos work US!

Nah. 500’. He might have survived that and suffered a bit.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.