Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Is there a pasta shortage where you live?

Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 am

I was wondering, is there a pasta shortage where you live?

It seems like there is a shortage here, especially with the two big name brands here (Barilla and American Beauty). Store brands seem to be less affected, possibly because the American Italian Pasta Company (AIPC) has a plant in Tolleson, AZ, and AIPC produces most of the store brands.
Real Men Wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD Shirts and Shorts

JayinKitsap

Re: Is there a pasta shortage where you live?

Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 am

At the start of TP hoarding, all of our local stores were cleaned out. That first weekend the big Walmart had 1 box of lasagna noodles and some gluten free pasta - that was it. Last 2 weeks around Bremerton, WA the pasta, rice, soups, sauces all seemed at almost normal stock levels. Chicken and pork have been very thin in the coolers. TP, paper towels, Kleenex all in stock. Sani wipes, PPE, cleaning sprays - empty shelves.

Aaron747

Tue May 05, 2020 2:02 am

Pasta is on the shelves, sauce - not so much. Better to puree the tomatoes yourself anyway!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TSS

Tue May 05, 2020 2:14 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Pasta is on the shelves, sauce - not so much. Better to puree the tomatoes yourself anyway!

If I'm doing it the old fashioned way, I start with whole peeled tomatoes and slice them myself because I like a chunkier sauce and because the whole peeled tomatoes seem to have less sugar and/or salt added than the sliced or diced ones do. I do also add a can of tomato paste for thickening.

Back to the pasta question, yep, we got cleaned out of all varieties initially. Vermicelli, Angel hair, and regular spaghetti noodles are still impossible to find but I did manage to score a six-pack of tri-color Rotini at the local warehouse club so I'm set for a while.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Kno

Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 am

Plenty of pasta here in Boston but I can’t find a damn jar of dill pickles ANYWHERE. Tons of those disgusting sweet ones in every store but what the hell happened to the good stuff.

LabQuest

Tue May 05, 2020 2:19 am

I was in the store 5 days ago and the only thing that was still out was toilet paper and instant sanitizer products like wipes, sprays, and gels. All other cleaning products like bleach and dish soap were fully stocked.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 am

For sauce, some brands and varieties seem to be more readily available than others. Most varieties of Ragu and Prego seem to be readily available, while select varieties of of Bertolli seem to be harder to get (the only ones that seem to be readily available are the original Alfredo, Creamy Basil Alfredo, and I think the Traditional Marinara). I really miss my Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa that I use for my chicken parmesan and chicken mozzarella ravioli.

casinterest

Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 am

Pasta shortage is over. The meat shortages are becoming problematic.

After walking through my neighborhood I am actually scared for American Farmers. Everyone has started their own garden for tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers , squash and Zucchini this year.
Where ever you go, there you are.

rfields5421

Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 am

Kroger - Sherman, TX (north of Dallas) - Today May 4 - Monday

Slightly lower than normal pasta packages
1/3 or less pasta sauces (heck this is Texas, we have 60 feet of Mexican food products, and 12 feet of pasta and sauces - not New England where the relative spaces are reversed)

Plentiful vegtables, fair meat products. No trouble getting beef or chicken we wanted in the cuts we wanted. Plenty of pork.

Also good supply of paper products.

Hand sanitizer is NOT being produced in retail packages for the past month or more. All the production is going into industrial sized containers for hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Don't expected to see it in stores for months. Wash your hands and use disposable gloves.
Not all who wander are lost.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 3:31 am

Well, I was recently able to score two packages of American Beauty Thin Spaghetti, so that might be a good sign. It does seem like the thinner cuts of spaghetti have been harder to get than the thicker cuts.

As for brands, over the past year Target has reduced the shelf space of American Beauty, choosing to stock more Barilla and their store brand. Other stores continue to mostly stock both brands, although both have been in short supply due to the pandemic. Depending on region, Riviana Foods sells its pasta under different names; American Beauty being the main brand in western states.

Dutchy

Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 am

There was never a shortage in the Netherlands of anything, there was in the beginning when people were hoarding, there was a problem with. getting the products to the store fast enough.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

scbriml

Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 am

There certainly was a big shortage of pasta in the UK for around four weeks. Things are starting to get back to normal now, but it seems everyone is home baking like crazy - eggs, flour and dried fruits are pretty low.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Mortyman

Tue May 05, 2020 8:58 am

Was some hording in the beginning here where I live in Norway, but not more than they were able to re stock the next day. Now, there is not really a problem with anyhting. Handsanitizer was a problem in the beginning, because people were hording, and it took a while before that was back, but good supply now. Certain medication got a reduced limit of how much you could take out pr. prescription, but no problem now.

seahawk

Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 am

In Germany there was a shortage of pasta due to the new national favourite recipe:
Pasta with Toilet paper Pesto

ltbewr

Tue May 05, 2020 11:05 am

The store I go into here in New Jersey has limited supplies of pasta. There was shelf clearing demand at first, but it has subsided, stores may be placing a limit on how many boxes one can get, some brands and types are not available. Same with jar tomato sauce. Pasta with sauce is a relatively cheap and filling meal, especially for those who are not working and broke.
One thing I have noticed in my recent shopping trips is that many items are not being sold at sale prices, in fact for some, prices have gone up.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Pasta is kinda limited, though I can still find some boxes. What's actually in short supply is flour and yeast. Of course, over the weekend, an entitled Karen (aptly named Caren), ranted about why people should stop baking bread altogether.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mdsh00

Tue May 05, 2020 1:35 pm

It was an issue 6 weeks ago here in Southern California but ok now.

fr8mech

Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 pm

In the beginning, pasta was an issue, but now the shelves are full. As noted above, flour and yeast are scarce. I guess people have decided to make their own baked goods. Good for them. While, we rarely make bread, we do make cakes and muffins and cookies (oh my), so our dessert making will have to be curtailed.

Though I did “score” enough flour to make a Key Lime pound cake for my wife on Mother’s Day.

It looks like canned beans are also an issue. What the hell? I love a good chili, and beans are a great source of yumminess in the chili, as well as on tacos.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Pasta is kinda limited, though I can still find some boxes. What's actually in short supply is flour and yeast. Of course, over the weekend, an entitled Karen (aptly named Caren), ranted about why people should stop baking bread altogether.

That article gave me a chuckle. I’m sure she didn’t hesitate to pick up the last toilet paper multi-pack, even though she had enough at home.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

jmdc861

Tue May 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Barilla brand pasta definitely in short supply here in South Florida!

BravoOne

Tue May 05, 2020 6:18 pm

No pasta on the shelves in Henderson, NV

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 6:44 pm

As stated, Barilla and American Beauty (a Riviana Foods brand) are mostly in short supply, while the store brands seem to be less affected. It could be due to the fact that most of the store brands are produced by AIPC, which has a plant in Tolleson, AZ.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 pm

My wife got a 5.5 pound bag online, delivered in a week. We’ll be eating rigatoni forever.

ER757

Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
At the start of TP hoarding, all of our local stores were cleaned out. That first weekend the big Walmart had 1 box of lasagna noodles and some gluten free pasta - that was it. Last 2 weeks around Bremerton, WA the pasta, rice, soups, sauces all seemed at almost normal stock levels. Chicken and pork have been very thin in the coolers. TP, paper towels, Kleenex all in stock. Sani wipes, PPE, cleaning sprays - empty shelves.

Here on our side of the sound (South King County) soup shelves are sparse, especially Progresso and Chunky - lot of varieties out of stock. Paper products are in stock, but again, shelves not nearly full, even at opening. I was able to score a canister of 75 bleach wipes for my lady friend at Fred Meyer the other day, the shelf was reasonably full - she never has been able to find any. I have better luck it seems, have my own canister as well. She reciprocated by picking up up a couple re-usable face masks for me.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 pm

For toilet paper, we were able to get a 20 pack of Angel Soft Ultra Professional 400-sheet Mega Rolls on Amazon, and we recently scored a 12 pack of an off-brand of 300-sheet rolls from Bashas'.

Waterbomber2

Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm

seahawk wrote:
In Germany there was a shortage of pasta due to the new national favourite recipe:
Pasta with Toilet paper Pesto

That's hilarious.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
My wife got a 5.5 pound bag online, delivered in a week. We’ll be eating rigatoni forever.

That's what we have for breakfast.

North-Western Europe: pasta is in the shelves but prices have gone up about 10-15%.
Passata sauce is plenty and maintaining price.
Cheese is also plenty and maintaining price.

For now, food supplies are ok, but I noticed less farmland being ploughed and much less people in the supermarkets due to social distancing.

dfwjim1

Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 pm

I went shopping at a Target near my home in South Florida yesterday and here is my report:

No toilet paper and paper towels

Good supply of pasta and sauces.

Some meat and chicken but being rationed...two per customer

Plenty of cold beer

Plenty of chips, crackers and bread.

This was at 4 PM EST.

9Patch

Wed May 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Initially the shelves of my supermarket [Fred Meyer] were empty of pasta. Things are back to normal now.
What's missing is dried beans, lentils, peas, and barley.
Meat is amply stocked, but expensive.

9Patch

Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
For toilet paper, we were able to get a 20 pack of Angel Soft Ultra Professional 400-sheet Mega Rolls on Amazon, and we recently scored a 12 pack of an off-brand of 300-sheet rolls from Bashas'.

The last time I was at Costco, I was able to find Charmin (jumbo rolls, wider sheets).
Only the best for my butt.

NWAESC

Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am

casinterest wrote:
Pasta shortage is over. The meat shortages are becoming problematic.

After walking through my neighborhood I am actually scared for American Farmers. Everyone has started their own garden for tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers , squash and Zucchini this year.

Ideally, we (America) can get our act together, and figure out how to get crops from the field to where they're actually needed. It's been maddening to see 1000's of cars in line at food banks while also seeing stories about farmers plowing crops under.

In my area, pasta is still available, but the store I go to limits how many boxes you can buy at one time. Sauce was pretty limited last time I went, but it was also in the late afternoon.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

tommy1808

Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
There was never a shortage in the Netherlands of anything, there was in the beginning when people were hoarding, there was a problem with. getting the products to the store fast enough.

Here toilette paper, flour and yeast where hard to come by for a bit, but I think that may largely have been because plenty of people bake when they are at home, and they have been at home a lot more recently. Would be interesting to see flour demand in comparison to normal baking seasons like before xmas.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

T18

Thu May 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Name brand has been cleared out for weeks, no issues with Sauces, Soup short too and oddly Flour Tortillas seems I'm the only one who buys Corn ones, and the TP aisle has been bare the last 3 weeks, good thing I needed to buy the day before folks went stupid.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Just as an update, it looks like American Beauty seems to be making a return in stores, but Barilla is still somewhat low in stock. So it looks like the local pasta shortage is slowing down. Since Barilla is imported, it could be a local supply chain issue.

Anyone noticed a similar trend with Riviana's other regional pasta brands (Ronzoni, Creamette, San Giorgio, Skinner, and Prince)?

IH8BY

Fri May 08, 2020 10:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
There certainly was a big shortage of pasta in the UK for around four weeks. Things are starting to get back to normal now, but it seems everyone is home baking like crazy - eggs, flour and dried fruits are pretty low.

Ditto, pasta seems to be available now (though mostly brands that I haven't seen before or the more expensive stuff). Eggs I've finally found at a farm shop and a local SPAR convenience stor.

I haven't seen flour in any shops since mid March. I bake and make things from scratch pretty regularly normally but it's been off the cards recently, just when I actually have the time to do so because I'm off work!

Apparently the issue with the lack of flour is not actually that there isn't flour, it's that so little of the flour in the UK usually goes to retail. So there isn't the supply chain or packaging capacity to ramp up supplies. With few of their normal business customers currently buying, wholesalers would like to sell it but there isn't a route to market! Apparently Morrisons, who do more in-store bakery from scratch than the other major supermarkets, are packaging flour up in store in some places but I haven't seen it as yet.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

ACDC8

Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am

There was a pasta shortage for a while about a month back. Right now we're on the hair clippers and colour phase of the hoarding.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

VapourTrails

Sat May 09, 2020 10:46 am

No, not anymore. I even saw hand sanitiser today. A dozen or more, so that to me is a benchmark of the recovery phase we are in. Whether that be the or the first, it still feels good to be able to go to the store and buy what you need, or just see the products there.

melpax

Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 am

[quote="VapourTrails"][/quote]

Have noticed though, that baked beans & spaghetti, and other canned meals are running low, probably with all the kids home from school.

For a while there, going to the supermarket was like something out of the Soviet Union, circa 1990 with all the empty shelves, and buying something just because it was in stock, and you didn't know if it would be in stock when you would actually need it....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

SL1200MK2

Sat May 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Pasta is pretty much available here in SF, though some varieties seem a bit low. Many of the items noted above such as flour, yeast etc., can be found at local ethnic supermarkets and neighborhood bodegas. I recommend that folks check these spots out too as they often have many hard-to-find items.

CaptHadley

Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

Wait, you bought "ultra professional toilet paper"?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 5:47 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Wait, you bought "ultra professional toilet paper"?

Georgia Pacific's Professional line is normally sold to businesses. Angel Soft Ultra is only available in the Professional series; there is no consumer version of it. Normally, in the consumer world, Angel Soft is Georgia-Pacific's value brand while Quilted Northern is their premium brand of toilet paper, but Quilted Northern is only sold as a consumer product and not as a commercial product for businesses. For paper towels, Sparkle is the value brand while Brawny is the premium brand in the consumer world, however, GP offers Professional packs of both Sparkle and Brawny.

LabQuest

Sat May 09, 2020 11:03 pm

Just got back from the store. Everything was fully stocked except toilet paper, paper towels, and instant cleaning supplies like wipes and hand sanitizer. Dish/hand/bar soap was plentiful. There was a ton of other cleaning supplies available like bleach, tilex, and bathroom cleaners. Just no wipes or spray lysol.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 am

I just went to Target, and they had plenty of Bertolli pasta sauce, but they no longer had a section for the Four Cheese Rosa. I hope it isn't gone in my area permanently. It is available on Instacart, but I am not going to pay those extra fees just to get it.

ltbewr

Mon May 11, 2020 10:43 am

In my trips to the local supermarket here in northern NJ, there does seem to be some easing of shortages. Pasta and sauces for them are available, although you may not be able to get particular brands and styles, my local store even had sales on some pasta ($.88 for 1 lb box of name brand pasta). Paper products are improving as to availability, although still some bare shelves, less choice as to brands and styles, facial tissues seem to be difficult to get. Meat supplies were still good, my supermarket had hams for sale at $.39/pound, guess lots of leftovers from low demand from few Easter dinners of families. Deli counter closed, limited selections of precut and prepackaged product. Some bleach and disinfectant cleaners available but was going fast. Plenty of bread, baked goods, still some scattered shortages of canned goods.
I think people are shopping less frequently and buying more at each trip. That has cut demand for fresh vegetables and fruits so they are plentiful.
With increased demand and likely increased costs, I find prices have gone up or fewer sales on popular items. I doubt paper and cleaning products will be at special sale prices for a while. There are fewer sales on most meat and other products.
I would also be concerned that some shoppers are not showing up as are not working, broke and turning to food pantries for their needs.
Supermarkets are requiring nose/mouth coverings and are limiting the numbers of shoppers at any one time.

NWAESC

Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm

I was at the store Saturday. Plenty of pasta, TP, and even off-brand hand sanitizer! Lots cleaning supplies except wipes.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

ER757

Mon May 11, 2020 7:33 pm

LabQuest wrote:
Just got back from the store. Everything was fully stocked except toilet paper, paper towels, and instant cleaning supplies like wipes and hand sanitizer. Dish/hand/bar soap was plentiful. There was a ton of other cleaning supplies available like bleach, tilex, and bathroom cleaners. Just no wipes or spray lysol.

I've had trouble finding ammonia in stock, I like to use it for cleaning floors. Bought some store brand version of Pine-Sol and hate it, it's way too sudsy. No problem with bleach, Tilex etc

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2020 9:15 pm

For the lack of Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa locally and online, I'm going to try the Knorr Parma Rosa sauce mix as a substitute. I just ordered a box of them on Amazon. If it tastes good, I will make some chicken parmesan and chicken mozzarella ravioli with it.

DL717

Sun May 17, 2020 3:21 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I was wondering, is there a pasta shortage where you live?

It seems like there is a shortage here, especially with the two big name brands here (Barilla and American Beauty). Store brands seem to be less affected, possibly because the American Italian Pasta Company (AIPC) has a plant in Tolleson, AZ, and AIPC produces most of the store brands.

No, but if the local butcher doesn’t open again soon I’m going to have a protein shortage in the freezer.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

lightsaber

Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 am

IH8BY wrote:
I haven't seen flour in any shops since mid March. I bake and make things from scratch pretty regularly normally but it's been off the cards recently, just when I actually have the time to do so because I'm off work!

Apparently the issue with the lack of flour is not actually that there isn't flour, it's that so little of the flour in the UK usually goes to retail. So there isn't the supply chain or packaging capacity to ramp up supplies. With few of their normal business customers currently buying, wholesalers would like to sell it but there isn't a route to market! Apparently Morrisons, who do more in-store bakery from scratch than the other major supermarkets, are packaging flour up in store in some places but I haven't seen it as yet.

Flour here in SoCal has also been sold out since mid-March. In April, yeast disappeared.

Now, I'm baking more than ever, but that is because I made it one of my new year's resolutions and bought a lot of flower, yeast, baking powder & soda, sugar, and oil in January.

Back to pasta: available, but often off brands. My daughters have made it clear many of my attempts are not as good as before. We do a lot of home made sauces, so that has been ok.

Meat in SoCal has become sparse. Cest la Vie. I've been able to get enough.

Lightsaber

late edit: Bleach is sold out locally, I ordered online.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

WarRI1

Mon May 18, 2020 3:02 am

;) No toilet paper, but plenty of pasta here.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DL717

Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 am

lightsaber wrote:
IH8BY wrote:

Flour here in SoCal has also been sold out since mid-March. In April, yeast disappeared.

Now, I'm baking more than ever, but that is because I made it one of my new year's resolutions and bought a lot of flower, yeast, baking powder & soda, sugar, and oil in January.

Back to pasta: available, but often off brands. My daughters have made it clear many of my attempts are not as good as before. We do a lot of home made sauces, so that has been ok.

Meat in SoCal has become sparse. Cest la Vie. I've been able to get enough.

Lightsaber

late edit: Bleach is sold out locally, I ordered online.

We’ve taken up baking bread in our house too. My grandmother made it all the time and I forgot how good it was. She left me a bunch of recipes and I thought I’d lost them. We went through a bunch of stuff we had down in the basement about a month ago and found them stuffed in an old cookbook in a box. Pulled out a bunch for the various kinds of bread she used to make along with about 30 other recipes for different meals. Rhubarb bread. Try it. Found out why I hated spaghetti squash “spaghetti”. Still tastes like crap. She was on a health food kick for a long time. Can’t believe she actually sold us on that when we were kids. Also found some recipes I thought I had lost from my grandfather. Fudge and his Texas Chili specifically. Also the Biscuits he used to make that came down from his mom. No longer do I yearn for killer biscuits and gravy that I couldn’t quite get right. On fudge, you know if you cut up regular size marshmallows for fudge it somehow makes it more like a chocolate bar? Didn’t think I could pull it off as it was something he didn’t share. Left it to me as the eldest grandson and I had to go and lose the damn thing in a cookbook. Alas, I have it. First shot. Nailed it. I should sell this stuff. Chili? Going to have to wait for the right time. It’s like fire and there isn’t enough Pepto on the shelves for me to eat it. Maybe when the kids come over I can make it a take a couple of bites.

On some level this whole thing has been kinda fun.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Beardown91737

Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 am

Collin County TX (NW Frisco Target, Allen Super Target, Frisco Mega Kroger, and McKinney Wally World)

Pasta is still in short supply. Just a lot of bare shelves with very little Spaghetti or Lasagne, but the spaghetti that is available is thick and off brand. Two weeks ago we picked up some DeCicco #2 in a Target. There are moderate supplies of sauces, which makes sense if you can't get pasta. The low sodium varieties of sauce are nowhere to be found.

Bread supplies are getting better over the past three weeks.

Target had a small supply of generic hand sanitizer last weekend, We bought an 8 oz bottle which is our first hand sanitizer purchase since this started.

We normally shop in the evening, so supplies may be better in the AM.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.