Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mike89406
Topic Author

Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Tue May 05, 2020 5:45 am

Just wondering because since the pandemic started I’ve gotten back into hiking trails for the first time in years. Generally wildlife preserves And less frequented parks keep the trails open for through hikers but close the parking outs and staging areas. I bought a Camelbak Hydration pack And some trekking poles managed to hike 2 mountains so far. My goal is to someday hike Mt Whitney and sections of the Pacific Crest Trail. Anyone else here into it or have anything to share or suggestions for a new hiker?

Best Regards, Mike

ER757

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 pm

I live to hike......I get out every weekend year-round unless it's raining sideways. Been rough lately though because all the local trailheads on state and federal land have ben closed. Did a few "stealth hikes" over the past couple weeks and I wasn't alone. Good news is that trails on our state-owned lands (Washington) open today, so I won't be illegal from now on. Bad news is that I was on the National Forest Service website looking at info on the one I hike in most during the summer, the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, and it said their trails will be closed until September 30th. :hissyfit:
I am fervently hoping that changes

trpmb6

Tue May 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

Aaron747

Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 am

Always pack enough water and don’t wear shorts unless absolutely necessary. Other than that, I don’t have any useful advice other than to enjoy! We’re out enjoying the coastal ranges and beaches here in CA every weekend - there are thousands of trails to choose from within a 30-mile radius.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 am

ER757 wrote:
I live to hike......I get out every weekend year-round unless it's raining sideways. Been rough lately though because all the local trailheads on state and federal land have ben closed. Did a few "stealth hikes" over the past couple weeks and I wasn't alone. Good news is that trails on our state-owned lands (Washington) open today, so I won't be illegal from now on. Bad news is that I was on the National Forest Service website looking at info on the one I hike in most during the summer, the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, and it said their trails will be closed until September 30th. :hissyfit:
I am fervently hoping that changes

I heard that Gov Inslee was pretty strict and know Washington has a lot of good hikes I used to live there. That’s said the National Wildlife reserves weren’t closed but every park conformed to Social distancing rules some closed they’re parking lots or staging areas which means people park on the side of the road. The busier places and this includes the busy beaches and I think State parks are opening here in SoCal. National Parks and forests I think are still closed to the 15th.

I started 3 weeks ago with a moderate mountain hike around 5 miles and steep. Weekend before last I did a 12 mile hike up a challenging mountain with. A lot of ups and downs. Next I plan on tackling the many hills around San Diego County, Mt Woodson/Potato Chip rock, Iron Mountain, Black Mountain in fact there are a lot of various hikes around San Diego. When the National Forest opens I want to hike the Laguna Mountain recreation area there’s a lot of trails at 6,000+ ft. The PCT intersects various trails in that area. Cuyamaca Peak is closed right now.

I figure I’ll get acclimated to altitude and distance then go from there.

If you’re logged into Facebook you. May be to see these pics

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

Is that part of the Divide trail?

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 5:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Always pack enough water and don’t wear shorts unless absolutely necessary. Other than that, I don’t have any useful advice other than to enjoy! We’re out enjoying the coastal ranges and beaches here in CA every weekend - there are thousands of trails to choose from within a 30-mile radius.

Thanks I got a 3L Camelbak hydration backpack, I never wear shorts with all the Poison Oak/Ivy, stickers etc. Possibility of being bit stung etc... which area in CA? I can hike, camp etc.. anywhere in San Diego, Orange, LA counties lots of hills.

trpmb6

Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Mike89406 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Is that part of the Divide trail?

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colo ... rness-loop

Given it is 29 miles, and with 4 passes, this is multi night trip. Some can do it in 2 or 3 days. We're going to do it in 5 days, 4 nights as there is a nice offshoot that you can extend your hike along that provides an additional half day hike and a nice lake view. We have quite an extensive list of items we'll be taking. We will have a 5 man group. We'll split tents and jet boils. Everyone required to carry a bear box. Water is readily available on trail at multiple locations. Typically we will not carry more than 2 liters at a time, maybe keeping 1 liter in reserve if water appears to be an issue. But again, this trail has great water availability throughout the season.

On trekking poles.. I've gone back and forth on them. I don't think its worth the money to get the expensive ones - they wear out just the same.

ER757

Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed

trpmb6

Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm

ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed

When I was on assignment in Seattle I did Mt. Pilchuck and a couple others. I drove around rainier and stopped at sunrise. Paradise was still under snow unfortunately. Was a very cold summer that year.

Its beautiful out there. When the weather was... cooperative.

I'm quite excited about this trip. It will be a very tough week but very rewarding views! And the best way to social distance to boot!

ER757

Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

When I was on assignment in Seattle I did Mt. Pilchuck and a couple others. I drove around rainier and stopped at sunrise. Paradise was still under snow unfortunately. Was a very cold summer that year.

I'm quite excited about this trip. It will be a very tough week but very rewarding views! And the best way to social distance to boot!

Pilchuck is a good one - not many better for big views out this way. On a clear day you can see the Boeing Everett plant quite clearly, not to mention all the way from Mt St Helens to Mt Baker south to north, and from the Olympics to Bonanza Peak west to east. I'll rank it "four boots" for sure.

trpmb6

Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 pm

ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Pilchuck is a good one - not many better for big views out this way. On a clear day you can see the Boeing Everett plant quite clearly, not to mention all the way from Mt St Helens to Mt Baker south to north, and from the Olympics to Bonanza Peak west to east. I'll rank it "four boots" for sure.

Yes! We got them all that day. Was perfect. Then we just boot skied down the northern slope and we were done in 30 minutes time haha.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 9:10 pm

Mike89406
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 8:14 pm

I’ve hiked on off for years but the last hike had a lot of downhills back and I got a few blisters as expected but also bruised toenails and a couple loose toenails. This is the first time it’s happened to me and they haven’t fallen off so I guess it’s still healing. Is there a way to prevent from destroying you’re toenails?

johns624

Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 am

Mike89406 wrote:
I’ve hiked on off for years but the last hike had a lot of downhills back and I got a few blisters as expected but also bruised toenails and a couple loose toenails. This is the first time it’s happened to me and they haven’t fallen off so I guess it’s still healing. Is there a way to prevent from destroying you’re toenails?
If you're losing and bruising toenails, you're shoes are too short. I had that happen in Scotland once and my podiatrist told me to go up a full size. As you age, your arches start falling, which makes your foot longer. From age 38 to 50, I went from a 8.5 to a size 10. Also, hiking stresses your feet and causes them to swell. I haven't gotten any blisters since I started wearing Smartwool socks.