Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Tue May 05, 2020 5:45 am

Just wondering because since the pandemic started I’ve gotten back into hiking trails for the first time in years. Generally wildlife preserves And less frequented parks keep the trails open for through hikers but close the parking outs and staging areas. I bought a Camelbak Hydration pack And some trekking poles managed to hike 2 mountains so far. My goal is to someday hike Mt Whitney and sections of the Pacific Crest Trail. Anyone else here into it or have anything to share or suggestions for a new hiker?

Best Regards, Mike
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3810
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 pm

I live to hike......I get out every weekend year-round unless it's raining sideways. Been rough lately though because all the local trailheads on state and federal land have ben closed. Did a few "stealth hikes" over the past couple weeks and I wasn't alone. Good news is that trails on our state-owned lands (Washington) open today, so I won't be illegal from now on. Bad news is that I was on the National Forest Service website looking at info on the one I hike in most during the summer, the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, and it said their trails will be closed until September 30th. :hissyfit:
I am fervently hoping that changes
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Tue May 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12353
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 am

Always pack enough water and don’t wear shorts unless absolutely necessary. Other than that, I don’t have any useful advice other than to enjoy! We’re out enjoying the coastal ranges and beaches here in CA every weekend - there are thousands of trails to choose from within a 30-mile radius.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 am

ER757 wrote:
I live to hike......I get out every weekend year-round unless it's raining sideways. Been rough lately though because all the local trailheads on state and federal land have ben closed. Did a few "stealth hikes" over the past couple weeks and I wasn't alone. Good news is that trails on our state-owned lands (Washington) open today, so I won't be illegal from now on. Bad news is that I was on the National Forest Service website looking at info on the one I hike in most during the summer, the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, and it said their trails will be closed until September 30th. :hissyfit:
I am fervently hoping that changes


I heard that Gov Inslee was pretty strict and know Washington has a lot of good hikes I used to live there. That’s said the National Wildlife reserves weren’t closed but every park conformed to Social distancing rules some closed they’re parking lots or staging areas which means people park on the side of the road. The busier places and this includes the busy beaches and I think State parks are opening here in SoCal. National Parks and forests I think are still closed to the 15th.

I started 3 weeks ago with a moderate mountain hike around 5 miles and steep. Weekend before last I did a 12 mile hike up a challenging mountain with. A lot of ups and downs. Next I plan on tackling the many hills around San Diego County, Mt Woodson/Potato Chip rock, Iron Mountain, Black Mountain in fact there are a lot of various hikes around San Diego. When the National Forest opens I want to hike the Laguna Mountain recreation area there’s a lot of trails at 6,000+ ft. The PCT intersects various trails in that area. Cuyamaca Peak is closed right now.

I figure I’ll get acclimated to altitude and distance then go from there.

If you’re logged into Facebook you. May be to see these pics

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

Is that part of the Divide trail?
 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 5:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Always pack enough water and don’t wear shorts unless absolutely necessary. Other than that, I don’t have any useful advice other than to enjoy! We’re out enjoying the coastal ranges and beaches here in CA every weekend - there are thousands of trails to choose from within a 30-mile radius.


Thanks I got a 3L Camelbak hydration backpack, I never wear shorts with all the Poison Oak/Ivy, stickers etc. Possibility of being bit stung etc... which area in CA? I can hike, camp etc.. anywhere in San Diego, Orange, LA counties lots of hills.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Mike89406 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

Is that part of the Divide trail?

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colo ... rness-loop

Given it is 29 miles, and with 4 passes, this is multi night trip. Some can do it in 2 or 3 days. We're going to do it in 5 days, 4 nights as there is a nice offshoot that you can extend your hike along that provides an additional half day hike and a nice lake view. We have quite an extensive list of items we'll be taking. We will have a 5 man group. We'll split tents and jet boils. Everyone required to carry a bear box. Water is readily available on trail at multiple locations. Typically we will not carry more than 2 liters at a time, maybe keeping 1 liter in reserve if water appears to be an issue. But again, this trail has great water availability throughout the season.

On trekking poles.. I've gone back and forth on them. I don't think its worth the money to get the expensive ones - they wear out just the same.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3810
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm

ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed


When I was on assignment in Seattle I did Mt. Pilchuck and a couple others. I drove around rainier and stopped at sunrise. Paradise was still under snow unfortunately. Was a very cold summer that year.

Its beautiful out there. When the weather was... cooperative.

I'm quite excited about this trip. It will be a very tough week but very rewarding views! And the best way to social distance to boot!
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3810
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Did an overnight training hike about 2 weeks before we went into lock down. We are training for a hike in Colorado at the maroon bells 4 pass loop. Currently biking about 8 miles a night to get my legs back into shape. First few rides were rough but now its second nature. Since i'm working from home I'm just hoping on my bike during meetings. Lifting weights during meetings.

Yet somehow I'm not losing weight... should probably stop trying to support local and ordering lunch each day :D

That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed


When I was on assignment in Seattle I did Mt. Pilchuck and a couple others. I drove around rainier and stopped at sunrise. Paradise was still under snow unfortunately. Was a very cold summer that year.

Its beautiful out there. When the weather was... cooperative.

I'm quite excited about this trip. It will be a very tough week but very rewarding views! And the best way to social distance to boot!

Pilchuck is a good one - not many better for big views out this way. On a clear day you can see the Boeing Everett plant quite clearly, not to mention all the way from Mt St Helens to Mt Baker south to north, and from the Olympics to Bonanza Peak west to east. I'll rank it "four boots" for sure.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 pm

ER757 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
That Colorado trip sounds great - best wishes. I did a road trip to Colorado a few years ago so I could cross "summit a fourteener" off my bucket list. The only one here in Washington is Mt. Rainier and I m a hiker, not a technical climber so headed off to the land where 14,000 footers can be walk ups. Chose Mt. Evans since even if the trail got too hairy I could hike the road (highest paved road in North America by the way). Fortunately the trail was in good shape and the road walk wasn't needed


When I was on assignment in Seattle I did Mt. Pilchuck and a couple others. I drove around rainier and stopped at sunrise. Paradise was still under snow unfortunately. Was a very cold summer that year.

Its beautiful out there. When the weather was... cooperative.

I'm quite excited about this trip. It will be a very tough week but very rewarding views! And the best way to social distance to boot!

Pilchuck is a good one - not many better for big views out this way. On a clear day you can see the Boeing Everett plant quite clearly, not to mention all the way from Mt St Helens to Mt Baker south to north, and from the Olympics to Bonanza Peak west to east. I'll rank it "four boots" for sure.


Yes! We got them all that day. Was perfect. Then we just boot skied down the northern slope and we were done in 30 minutes time haha.
 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Wed May 06, 2020 9:10 pm

 
Mike89406
Topic Author
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Thu May 07, 2020 8:14 pm

I’ve hiked on off for years but the last hike had a lot of downhills back and I got a few blisters as expected but also bruised toenails and a couple loose toenails. This is the first time it’s happened to me and they haven’t fallen off so I guess it’s still healing. Is there a way to prevent from destroying you’re toenails?
 
johns624
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Anyone into hiking, outdoors?

Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 am

Mike89406 wrote:
I’ve hiked on off for years but the last hike had a lot of downhills back and I got a few blisters as expected but also bruised toenails and a couple loose toenails. This is the first time it’s happened to me and they haven’t fallen off so I guess it’s still healing. Is there a way to prevent from destroying you’re toenails?
If you're losing and bruising toenails, you're shoes are too short. I had that happen in Scotland once and my podiatrist told me to go up a full size. As you age, your arches start falling, which makes your foot longer. From age 38 to 50, I went from a 8.5 to a size 10. Also, hiking stresses your feet and causes them to swell. I haven't gotten any blisters since I started wearing Smartwool socks.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ertro, Redd, scbriml and 45 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos