Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Should Public Education go the way of Remote learning and replace the practice of a teacher standing in front of a class

Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 am

Should Public Education go the way of Remote learning and replace the practice of a teacher standing in front of a classroom instructing students???

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/coronavirus-style-remote-learning-could-be-schools-wave-of-future-cuomo/

Thoughts??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

santi319

Re: Should Public Education go the way of Remote learning and replace the practice of a teacher standing in front of a c

Wed May 06, 2020 5:28 am

Thoughts are Im over the whole we can stay home and never come out premise.

Plot twist: this lockdown is making people WANT to be outside more than ever.. watch the next following months.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Re: Should Public Education go the way of Remote learning and replace the practice of a teacher standing in front of a c

Wed May 06, 2020 5:36 am

I enjoy learning from home. With the Internet as my teacher.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

fr8mech

Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 am

When it comes to education, I'm a fan of anything that works. That means...wait for it...there is not just one solution, because there isn't just one student.

Hell, I see it in my own house. My daughter is doing just fine in the at-home environment, while my son is struggling. Some of it is that the schools were not prepared to go 6 or 8 weeks of NTI, but some of it is also how each individual kid learns.

To say we are going to at-home, distance learning model for all, or even some, of the classes and/or students, and expect the same, or better results is dangerous.

Now, tell me you're going to integrate NTI with traditional learning, and you've gained a fan.

Some kids need to socialize. Some kids need the one-on-one contact with the teacher. Some kids just need to be away from the distractions at home. Those distractions, by the way, may be a physically and/or psychologically abusive home.

Disclaimer: my statements are concerning elementary, middle school and early high school. Juniors, seniors and university students can more easily move away from the school environment and work in an NTI type system. I earned my masters completely online.

I wonder about labs and other hands-on type stuff. Can you really learn the physical sciences by watching and not doing?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

einsteinboricua

Wed May 06, 2020 1:29 pm

While there are students that can easily adapt to an online-only environment, there is still no substitution to person to person interaction. I did a masters degree online and only the video conference calls for homework and project discussions were what kept me a bit sane. It was nice to speak to people in real time and not through chat or a forum. Higher education can adapt to it; elementary and middle school, not so much.

fr8mech wrote:
I wonder about labs and other hands-on type stuff. Can you really learn the physical sciences by watching and not doing?

Having done an engineering undergrad, this will be pretty much impossible. Unless the student can purchase/borrow all the necessary materials for the labs and can do them in a controlled environment, there is really a big hurdle with lab courses.

My software labs would have been easy to move: they're on a computer so those can be done remotely. My EE labs would be the next easiest, provided I have a power supply, oscilloscope, and all the necessary components to build a circuit. Now, there ARE simulations for circuits, but it still is better to build an actual circuit than a simulation.

The physical science labs (physics, chemistry, biology...at all levels) will be the hardest. Some chemical components must be secured in a facility designed for labs with proper discard bins; physics labs may be easy if you have the proper equipment, though depending on how advanced the subject is, it may prove challenging. And biology...well, besides growing a bean plant, if you have to dissect an animal, you best hope to have sanitation equipment on hand.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Wed May 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Public education will still be in classrooms. Far too many parents work. disadvantaged kids need meals, and their is social interaction at schools.

That doesn't mean that their won't be modifications, but those were already in place. My kids were doing online course work for many classes.

There were already charter schools for online learning, and i am sure they will expand, but at the end of the day they require a parent at home, and a parent that checks work of the student to get them on task.
Where ever you go, there you are.

rfields5421

Wed May 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Okay, I wrote a long thing based on my experience with my grandchildren and their mother and father's choice to home school them. Basically end result was, good for one, horrible for another and mediocre for the other two.

Currently two grandsons are still in high school. Older one is a junior. His grades have improved in that he spends 2-3 hours per day focused on school work, and three days a week completes all his assignments and lessons. He also HATES it. No ROTC classes, no drill team, no social interaction with his peers, no Junior Prom, etc.....

Younger one who is a freshman is ambivalent. He is not heavily socially involved with other kids in the school. He is academically superior to his big brother in subjects like math and science. But his grades suffer because he needs the classroom structure to keep him at least on task.

I will also say that the very highly rated school system they attend has not figured out how to do this 'remote teaching' thing very well. It was thrown together so quickly.

Frankly, I think the current situation is EXTREMELY POOR.

My sister, a retired teacher and administrator, and my nephew - current teacher and administrator - say the system is horrible in two largely rural counties in Arkansas where they live. Mainly because over 50% of the children have NO/ ZERO/ NADA access to the internet beyond dial-up over the single phone line into the home. Their total school work consists of once a week pickup of lesson plans at the local school, and turning in last weeks plans. Teachers are available for individual phone calls during school hours from students. But it is pure voice only.

A reasoned focused system such as some of the remote universities - fine, excellent way to learn.

Current US 'remote learning' - horrible mess. No way. Get the kids back into classrooms!!!
Not all who wander are lost.

wingman

Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Terrible idea full-time. What night work for US kids is internet learning over the summers so that they can potentially keep up with their international peers. But the experience of social learning in large groups with varying ages, activities, projects, sports, cliques, bullying, first love interests, break-ups..none of that works online. It's a critical competency that prepares kids for the future, the physical connections to 100+ other kids. And upwards of 50% of parents would either kill themselves or their kids after the first year at home. I know because I'm already close and it's only been 7 weeks.

MoonC

Wed May 06, 2020 3:16 pm

santi319 wrote:
Thoughts are Im over the whole we can stay home and never come out premise.

Plot twist: this lockdown is making people WANT to be outside more than ever.. watch the cases explode over the next following months.

Fixed it for you.

bmartino99

Wed May 06, 2020 4:27 pm

I'll preface by saying I don't have kids, but I would guess the majority of children in public schools come from families that both parents work. I don't see how full time schooling from home works for ages 5-14ish, without a corresponding move to make working from home a permanent thing.

NIKV69

Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm

NO it should not.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Airontario

Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Honestly the most important part of elementary school is the social aspect. Sure kids learn their ABC's and times tables and long division, etc. However the most important aspect has and always will be social interaction for the children. Classrooms are where they learn to speak with their peers, solve problems, develop a sense of empathy, etc. All skills just as important as the stuff taught in math or science class.

Anecdotally, for better or worse, the majority of people I've met who were homeschooled have been a bit socially off. If I ever have kids, I will 100% want them to be in a classroom with kids of the same age.

Kiwirob

Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Hell no, kids need the structure that comes with school. My three kids can’t wait to go back.

DL717

Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Not ever. Kids need day to day instruction. All they are really getting right now is a one or two hour teleconference and some homework. They also need social interaction with their peers. Things were already bad enough with devices or poor social interaction before this COVID mess. People don’t want to talk about it and many brush it off, but this is putting a permanent scar on kids, never-mind adults who are away from their jobs. The technology benefits of keeping schools going may be nice, but a lot of kids are going to come out of this even more detached from society. Others may benefit in that they will push it away from excessive use. Either way, this is impacting the mental health of children in a way that the depression did. They will never be the same.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

N757ST

Thu May 07, 2020 1:49 pm

A lot of us are two working parents, we cannot and will not home school our kids.

dtw2hyd

Thu May 07, 2020 1:59 pm

Remote learning is neither free nor cheap. There are huge infrastructure costs associated with it. In Metro Detroit some suburb school districts were spending $$Millions on hardware and licensing fees every year, but City of Detroit couldn't provide within schools. Suburbs switched to remote leaning over a weekend and Detroit has to find donations to buy tablets to students. Many didn't have high-speed internet. Local corporations gave $23 Millions to buy 51,000 4G LTE tablets with data plans.

Digital divide is very much real.
All posts are just opinions.

apodino

Thu May 07, 2020 8:42 pm

One of the problems with Education is that every child learns differently, and for many years we have tried to take a "one size fits all" approach to education in this country. I think the results speak for themselves. Parents know their children the best and should be given every tool to make sure that their child gets the best possible education. For some kids, that will be a public school. Other kids a Charter school and other kids a private school, and for some kids, homeschool. It should be up to the parents to decide. Sadly many policy makers insist that charter and private schools should only be available to the wealthy, and that if you don't have the means, your child must go to the public school and do what the school board says they should. This is dangerous for the reasons I have mentioned above. But of course, the Teachers Union's don't see it that way.

Remote learning is good for some kids, but I don't think it can be a permanent solution for all kids. A lot of kids still need hands on experience and the social aspects that come with being in a classroom. I think Remote Learning should be an option, but all the other options should be kept as well.

Runway28L

Sat May 16, 2020 10:07 pm

As a college student about to enter senior year... absolutely not. There are an alarming number of professors and instructors out there that are just not capable of using technology. For example, the professor is not able to find an assignment the student submitted on-time through Blackboard (or whatever system) and proceeds to penalize the student. Or professors don't know how to copy/paste a study guide onto a discussion board prior to an exam. Group projects are also difficult to accomplish with no in-person interaction. I could go on and on...

apodino wrote:
Remote learning is good for some kids, but I don't think it can be a permanent solution for all kids. A lot of kids still need hands on experience and the social aspects that come with being in a classroom. I think Remote Learning should be an option, but all the other options should be kept as well.

Completely agree. From my experience, I found myself getting distracted more easily doing classwork at home - either by socialization with friends/family or moving on to stuff I had to do for my job.

The other problem, especially for K-12, is accessibility and costs. Schools would have to spend a fortune to upgrade and implement networks. It wasn't until my junior year of high school that we finally got iPads - albeit only 30 of them in a cart teachers had to rotate for 560+ students. Before that, we were using outdated desktops.
Last edited by Runway28L on Sat May 16, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jalap

Sat May 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Horrible idea.
For reasons mentionned already.

And also because many children have parents who just don't care. Their children will end up without any education.
1 of my daughters (11yo) went back to school yesterday for the 1st time since March 18th. A boy in the class has done absolutely nothing all this time, except posting a "good morning" in the digital classroom at 2am one day.
Going to school not only gives education, but also structure for those who don't get this at home.

Also, this daughter of mine has to choose what school to go to next year. She was interested in a school that follows the Dalton method. In this method, there is less structure, students need to plan their own work and make the deadlines. This is pretty much how it went these last 2 months. She managed just fine, but didn't like it at all. Now she no longer wants Dalton method, she'll be going to a school with the standard method. Because she is more comfortable in a well structured environment.

Aesma

Sat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm

Remote learning is not really working right now. Only the best kids are doing OK. The worst kids aren't even attending... There is often no computer/tablet home, or only one for several kids, and the parents don't care.

Now if each child had a setup with a large screen to see the teacher as in real life, and some other kids, if the teacher had a projector to be able to see all the kids, then maybe it could work. I think doing it in a classroom, interacting with others, is still better, so as long as there is no impervious need for distance learning, it shouldn't be the preferred option.

And of course you shouldn't leave kids home alone, so that's a non starter right there.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

frmrCapCadet

Sun May 17, 2020 2:41 am

There are gradations (some pun) between 30 kids in a class 5 days a week, and learning from home. Kids could be in smaller classes 2 or 3 days a week for a few hours. Those with no internet have more time at school. Some of us would have thrived with a few hours of teacher time a week, and being able to escape the jail like aspect of learning at the pace of 30 people grouped together. With computer tracking of learning it is possible to customize classes to the learning style of individuals. Fehnman was a bother to his teacher and the rest of the class. Teacher gave him advanced math texts and sent him to the back of the room and told him to be quiet. All concerned were happy.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DLFREEBIRD

Sun May 17, 2020 5:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Should Public Education go the way of Remote learning and replace the practice of a teacher standing in front of a classroom instructing students???

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/coronavirus-style-remote-learning-could-be-schools-wave-of-future-cuomo/

Thoughts??

absolutely NOT. while some people are visual and verbal learners they are in the minority, most people are very social and like interactive learning
Do you realize how many people would be messed up for life if they have to be homeschooled? I'm sorry for being blunt.
but community learning is essential not only does it give students a sense of community, but it also allows them to learn important social skills, make friends
and become better people with good and bad role models. I can't imagine the world, if everybody learned from there home, without essential human contact. It's mentally unhealthy, especially for children.

stl07

Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 am

Jalap wrote:
Horrible idea.
For reasons mentionned already.

And also because many children have parents who just don't care. Their children will end up without any education.
1 of my daughters (11yo) went back to school yesterday for the 1st time since March 18th. A boy in the class has done absolutely nothing all this time, except posting a "good morning" in the digital classroom at 2am one day.
Going to school not only gives education, but also structure for those who don't get this at home.

Also, this daughter of mine has to choose what school to go to next year. She was interested in a school that follows the Dalton method. In this method, there is less structure, students need to plan their own work and make the deadlines. This is pretty much how it went these last 2 months. She managed just fine, but didn't like it at all. Now she no longer wants Dalton method, she'll be going to a school with the standard method. Because she is more comfortable in a well structured environment.

Where do you live where schools have reopened? China? The Netherlands?
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Sun May 17, 2020 5:36 am

It has the potential to work for certain students if executed correctly, but I have been seeing numerous totally believable news reports of professors posting the assignments for the week online on Monday, having them due by the end of the week, giving students a grade, and moving on with no instruction. That isn't school.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Kent350787

Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 am

I have two kids - one in his senior year, the other in Grade 7. Luckily both are pretty solid students and just geton with their work. The youngest does his zoom and edmodo clases with a chatwith friends running at the side on a separate channel. I'm not sure how the eldest is mainting his interactions.

The eldest was back to face to face for 3.5 days last week, the youngest one. Same this week, and we expect that they'll be back at school full time from Monday week. i understand our exchange studnt from Germany went back to face to face full-time last week.

From what I've observed with my kids, there are clearly classes that are fine online, but they miss practical lessons, the social contcat, and the basic socialistaion. My country has had kids doing school via radio and correspondence for 70plus years, but it's still not the ideal solution.
S340
J31
F27/F50
Q100/200
E195
146-300
733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789
320/321/332/333/345/359

ltbewr

Sun May 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Remote/online only K-12 education, but for some extreme circumstances of health and distance reasons, cannot continue much longer for the reasons cited by previous posters. Some noted include the lack of self-discipline, or enforcement by parent(s), lack of access to high-speed internet, lack of food, poverty, lack of interaction needed with teachers, need for parent(s) to be able to work and socialization issues. I would like to add some other points against remote/online K-12 education.

You can't do gym class online. Many live in unsafe areas in cities where going outside is too risky, not enough park or public spaces to get exercise of any kind. Many need to be in school to do any physical exercise. Many parent(s) are not healthy or into exercise.

Online learning doesn't work for those with physical, mental development and mental health disabilities. Most parents are unable to properly assist too and professionals need to be involved. They need to be in a physical school.

Many students may be in dangerous home situations, including being subject to violence themselves. When schools are in session, the mental and physical signs of violence can be spotted and reporting to social services can be made.

Aggravating even more the focus on 'teach to the tests', only teaching enough to get passing grades on tests used to base funding, if a school can continue. The main focus is on math, writing, sciences, with zilch on history, geography, information to become a good citizen.

The economic crises from the Pandemic will lead to massive homelessness, frequent switching of school systems, interruptions in education. You have to get a new tablet/computer and software with each change. Many students may drop out of school, especially high school aged ones due to frequent changes, needing to work for families to survive.

Many taxpayers will demand full time distance learning to cut their taxes. Social distancing needs for the next 1-2 years when physical schools return will mean increased operation costs as fewer students will be able to participate in a class at a time and cleaning costs kick up. This will be made worse as due to lack of tax revenues and unable politically to raise tax rates, many states and local governments will make draconian cuts to public school funding.

Jalap

Sun May 17, 2020 9:28 pm

stl07 wrote:
Where do you live where schools have reopened? China? The Netherlands?

Belgium. But schools have restarted in many European counrties. Since we got a harder hit, it took a few weeks longer.
Also, it's pretty limited.
Only the 6yo's and 7yo's (because they are learning to read/write and basic maths), the 12yo's (preparation for middle school) and 18yo's (because they are about to finish school or prepare for higher studies).
And it's only part time, in with half the usual amount of kids per classroom. Plus, from what my daughter told me, all they do is wash their hands pretty much all the time.

StarAC17

Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm

wingman wrote:
Terrible idea full-time. What night work for US kids is internet learning over the summers so that they can potentially keep up with their international peers. But the experience of social learning in large groups with varying ages, activities, projects, sports, cliques, bullying, first love interests, break-ups..none of that works online. It's a critical competency that prepares kids for the future, the physical connections to 100+ other kids. And upwards of 50% of parents would either kill themselves or their kids after the first year at home. I know because I'm already close and it's only been 7 weeks.

This is a thought, make the school week in classroom shorter, maybe 3 days in class and 2 at home. Give the kids perhaps some remote learning at home one or two days a week and be in class the rest.

What we are realizing is that many people can work from home also so parents can be there to ensure the kids aren't going to get into trouble. If we reduced commuting somewhat that would be good for individuals and the environment, even before covid the idea of the 5 day workweek was dying anyway.

Airontario wrote:
Honestly the most important part of elementary school is the social aspect. Sure kids learn their ABC's and times tables and long division, etc. However the most important aspect has and always will be social interaction for the children. Classrooms are where they learn to speak with their peers, solve problems, develop a sense of empathy, etc. All skills just as important as the stuff taught in math or science class.

Anecdotally, for better or worse, the majority of people I've met who were homeschooled have been a bit socially off. If I ever have kids, I will 100% want them to be in a classroom with kids of the same age.

This :checkmark: :checkmark:

You need the social aspect of school, how to work in groups, how to engage the opposite sex, how to deal with assholes and bullies and get exposure to some degree of social hierarchy. Even thought those one the top in high school might not be in the top as adults that hierarchy still exists.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Redd

Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 am

NIKV69 wrote:
NO it should not.

:checkmark: Humans are social animals, we need interaction with other people. Especially as developing humans from childhood to adult.