Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BravoOne
Topic Author

Netflix Hollywood

Sun May 10, 2020 12:05 am

So how many here have watched the series Hollwood on Netflix. My wife and I watched all six episodes and left with mixed thoughts, If you have seen it, weigh in.

Aaron747

Re: Netflix Hollywood

Sun May 10, 2020 2:08 am

Have not seen it. Netflix is out of Los Gatos, so the series title is quite cheeky.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

olle

Sun May 10, 2020 7:38 am

Netflix for me is agreat thing. We see serials from spain, france, turkey japan and all the world. Netflix means that the world getting used to watch content in many languages. Effects will be huge for hollywood and its until now close monopol on entertainment.

BravoOne
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Have not seen it. Netflix is out of Los Gatos, so the series title is quite cheeky.

Not sure what's cheeky about the Silicon Vally area but I may have missed it. Lived up the road in Hillsborough for ten years so maybe its a nuevo rich kind of thing:)

Back around 1973, or so I was in a mens clothing store down in SoCal (Sherman Oaks). There only two of us plus the store owner and the other guy was Rock Hudson. He looked so small and emaciated that had the store owner not mentioned him I would have never recognized the guy. This was was way prior to the AIDS epidemic of the eighties. Certainly not the guy portrayed in this series albeit much earlier.

Aaron747

Sun May 10, 2020 3:46 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not sure what's cheeky about the Silicon Vally area but I may have missed it. Lived up the road in Hillsborough for ten years so maybe its a nuevo rich kind of thing:)

Back around 1973, or so I was in a mens clothing store down in SoCal (Sherman Oaks). There only two of us plus the store owner and the other guy was Rock Hudson. He looked so small and emaciated that had the store owner not mentioned him I would have never recognized the guy. This was was way prior to the AIDS epidemic of the eighties. Certainly not the guy portrayed in this series albeit much earlier.

Oh it’s pretty cheeky if you grew up in the area like I did - a. lots of dislike for the fakery of LA (and the Dodgers) b. not so secret that Netflix has rather enjoyed becoming such a content engine that the TV shops of Hollywood in LA and NY still aren’t quite sure what to do. And all out of six buildings in a little town nestled in the Santa Cruz mountain foothills.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

rfields5421

Mon May 11, 2020 1:07 am

We don't have access to high speed internet capable of streaming video. So, Yawn.
Not all who wander are lost.

taha93

Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am

rfields5421 wrote:
We don't have access to high speed internet capable of streaming video. So, Yawn.

Same here buddy some of the series are not available in my country so i use vpn for that and the interent speed remains up and down through week.

steveinbc

Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm

I agree with the poster. Mixed feelings. Apparently based loosely on a true set of stories. Netflix seems to pump out a ton of their own films and series assuming it will save them money on royalties and provide greater profits. But I have to say that Netflix does have a quality problem and there are times I flick through and see nothing that interests me and instead I pick up a good book.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Braybuddy

Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Have watched about four episodes so far. It's complete fluff, but watchable nevertheless and a nice little diversion at the end of the day. It's an entirely fictionalised take on real people and events, but probably a little to politically correct, which only diminishes it. It's made me do a bit of research on some of the characters, and a series based on their real lives would have been MUCH more interesting. Acting is hilarious, OTT 1940s Hollywood -- with accents to match, which adds an appropriate touch of camp. Three out of five.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed May 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Oh it’s pretty cheeky if you grew up in the area like I did - a. lots of dislike for the fakery of LA (and the Dodgers) b. not so secret that Netflix has rather enjoyed becoming such a content engine that the TV shops of Hollywood in LA and NY still aren’t quite sure what to do. And all out of six buildings in a little town nestled in the Santa Cruz mountain foothills.

That is all just the corporate side though. Production is still very much Hollywood & NYC for the most part. Part of what made the transition from working in aviation to that industry was how much same that, and a lot of things like it, are. Especially in the way that about twice a decade everyone becomes convinced the whole paradigm is about to shift. But it never does, not meaningfully anyway.

Braybuddy wrote:
Have watched about four episodes so far. It's complete fluff, but watchable nevertheless and a nice little diversion at the end of the day. It's an entirely fictionalised take on real people and events, but probably a little to politically correct, which only diminishes it. It's made me do a bit of research on some of the characters, and a series based on their real lives would have been MUCH more interesting. Acting is hilarious, OTT 1940s Hollywood -- with accents to match, which adds an appropriate touch of camp. Three out of five.

Interesting take. I was probably going to check it out anyway —I like the stylized versions of some of that Big Band stuff in the preview— but this might go ahead and move it up the list a notch or two...
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

winginit

Wed May 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

They are but they really aren't. Their Hollywood office is just as big (and possibly bigger if you include their studio?) as Los Gatos.

johnboy

Fri May 15, 2020 3:27 am

They’re so heavy handed about throwing in everything about homophobia, racial discrimination, and the “dark side of Hollywood,” that the characters are one-note and flat.

The stunt casting (Patti LuPone, Jim Parsons) is the best thing.

JJJ

Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

rfields5421 wrote:

Some (most?) shows can be downloaded in the app so you can watch them later on without any interruption.

rfields5421

Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Since we do not have access to a landline signal, and satellite based internet does not sell setups to mobile users - we pay by the GB for all internet we access via cell-phone plans. This site is about the highest bandwidth I can reasonably access.

Because we have access to both Verizon and AT&T - our normal internet access is via one or two bars of 3G. We live in an RV and stay away from large cities, preferring the remote parts of the United States. When I can start traveling again, we will go one or two months without access.
Not all who wander are lost.

Channex757

Sat May 16, 2020 10:46 pm

rfields5421 wrote:

Can you manage 2Mbps speed? If so you might be able to get Netflix standard service. That's all it requires. Quality won't be blistering HD or 4K but it'll be good enough to watch.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun May 17, 2020 3:01 am

watched the whole thing. Jim Parson's character was actually based on Rock Hudson real-life Agent. He was said to be worse than Weinstein.
That's pretty bad. Anyway, the plot was all over the place.