Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Car seat cover recommendations

Tue May 12, 2020 9:57 pm

OK car people. This one is for you.

I bought a brand new car (yay me!) and this one will definitely stay with me for the long haul...or until I win the lottery and decide to buy a luxury car or a Tesla.

Anyway, one thing I regret not doing with my first car was to buy seat covers. Not only was the color beige (prone to looking dirty) but just in general, it made the seat wear out faster. With my new car, I'm determined to stretch its features' conditions for as long as I can. I already bought floor mats so the next step is seat cover.

At the time, I'm the only person using it. I don't carry passengers and, aside from groceries, I don't put anything in the backseat either. But I'd still like to buy covers for all the seats. I'd particularly like for the driver's seat cover to be spillproof and be able to absorb sweat (I come out of the gym and don't have a chance to cool off...they don't have showers there either; I could switch tshirts but I'd still be mostly sweaty).

I went to a website and was being offered Coverking brand seat covers. But before I pull the trigger I wanna see if there are any other brands anyone else would recommend.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DLFREEBIRD

Re: Car seat cover recommendations

Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Costco has some decent seat covers. I bought them 5 years ago, they custom make for your car. They have a lot of pockets on the back you may not need though.
They were a little expensive. but worth it. my husband has the tendency to wear them out on the driver side.
something about him plopping his butt in there and the side wearing down because of the friction. These really helped save the original seat
https://costco.coverking.com/?costco_sk ... &prod=CTSC

Classa64

Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 am

First see if the manufacture has a seat cover accessory, second don't put anything on the seat back if you can help it. Most manufactures do not recommend seat covers due to the possibility of the Side Air bag not deploying correctly and the timing is critical.

They are designed to tear through the side of a seat and not through something else after that which is were I see the issue, if the aftermarket seat cover stitching is off to the side ( which in every case I have seen it is, as you slide into the car it shifts it) to low or to high that bag is not coming out properly period. I have told customers that the seat covers they installed do not have the side airbag tear away stitching because there cheap knock offs and they sometimes say "I have an airbag in my seat"? Almost everyone had me take at least the seat back cover off and leave the base. It can also cause heated seats to not work as effectively as well. Adding to much weight in the storage pockets can also throw weight sensors off in the Passenger seat as well causing a mix of issues, lights etc.

IF you going to put them on I would research a bit to see if the covers have been tested in the real world and I bet none if any have. Another option is you can always opt for custom-fit seat bottom covers only and add a triangle shaped piece for the seat backs that doesn’t cover the side panels in any way.

Just my opinion but anything that can prevent it from working exactly like it should is dangerous.

EDIT: If the car you have does not have side airbags ignore all this :)

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

johns624

Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 am

If you buy a quality car, the seats will last as long as the car. Why have a nice interior if nobody can see it.

TSS

Fri May 15, 2020 5:36 am

johns624 wrote:
If you buy a quality car, the seats will last as long as the car. Why have a nice interior if nobody can see it?

In general I agree with the above statement because modern car interior fabrics are orders of magnitude more durable and easier to clean than those of days gone by. That being said, a healthy dose of ScotchGard never hurts either.

Classa64 brings up an excellent point about side airbags as well.

My personal experience with aftermarket seat covers is varied:

1. I've yet to see any that fit like they were supposed to, even if they were designed for the specific year, make, and model car I had. Always too baggy here, too tight there, every single time regardless of cost.

2. The sheepskin seat covers really are warmer in the winter and, believe it or not, cooler in the summer than regular fabric and especially vinyl or leather. I think I've seen them advertised recently that were just the skins that only covered the area of the seat with which you have direct contact and were held in place with thin elastic, so those should be airbag-friendly. The only downside to sheepskin seat covers beyond cost is that they raise you up an inch or more, so if you're tall and your head is already close to the headliner they might not work for you.

Here ya go- https://www.eurow.com/products/eurow-genuine-australian-sheepskin-sideless-seat-cover-champagne

Obviously other styles and colors are available, but that's the general idea.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

a320fan

Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 am

Don’t. Regardless of the airbag issues, you bought the car to enjoy it surely, then enjoy the interior as the designers intended. Closest I’d go is laying a towel over the back seats if carrying kids around or planning to use it for more x rated activities.
Having said that I do have covers on my current car, but they look horrible, don’t fit right and don’t feel near as good as the original fabric. Cars 20 years old and I bought it second hand aged 10 with some wear through already occurring on the driver seat. Even then when I actually think about it I hate the covers. Currently in the market for a new car and know for a fact I won’t be putting covers on it. It’s like those people who cover their couch in horrible plastic, it’s designed to be comfortable and sat in, enjoy it.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

TSS

Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm

a320fan wrote:
Don’t. Regardless of the airbag issues, you bought the car to enjoy it surely, then enjoy the interior as the designers intended. Closest I’d go is laying a towel over the back seats if carrying kids around or planning to use it for more x rated activities.

A320fan's towel idea has merit. As I understand it your main concern is a light-colored cloth interior versus a sweaty you after the gym. You're going to be bringing one towel to the gym anyway, so why not bring two and drape one over the contact areas of the seat post-gym? Much more absorbent and easier to wash than any regular seat cover plus you'll be able to enjoy your new car's interior unrestricted at all other times.

I had a Buick for a while which had an interior fabric that was the exact color and texture of a hamster's belly fur: Very soft and comfy, but really light-colored and easily stained. I had forgotten that I used the towel trick with it when I'd drive it to work, specifically when I'd drive home with my uniform covered in brake dust, dirt, grease, oil, etc. until a320fan mentioned it.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 10:24 pm

TSS wrote:
As I understand it your main concern is a light-colored cloth interior versus a sweaty you after the gym.

No, the main concern is really sweat and spills. The interiors of the new car are dark grey so visually they should last longer. The old car's interiors had a major contrast between the front and back seats (rarely used) and the driver's seat (darker than the others).

But sweat and spilled drinks can make the fabric smell. Air fresheners are not the way I'd want to go so I'd want something I can potentially remove, wash (or air out) and put back.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Tue May 19, 2020 10:30 pm

I don't do seat covers but if you go with it check out weathertech that company is amazing.
I am the Googlizer!!!

TSS

Wed May 20, 2020 9:46 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
TSS wrote:
As I understand it your main concern is a light-colored cloth interior versus a sweaty you after the gym.

No, the main concern is really sweat and spills. The interiors of the new car are dark grey so visually they should last longer. The old car's interiors had a major contrast between the front and back seats (rarely used) and the driver's seat (darker than the others).

Was this a car of European origin, perchance?

einsteinboricua wrote:
But sweat and spilled drinks can make the fabric smell.

True, as can other things. After owning it for nearly two years, only now am I finally making real progress towards exorcising the "Ghost of Burger King French Fries Past" from my Focus, a car that had obviously been detailed to a fairly high degree, inside and out, when I got it.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Air fresheners are not the way I'd want to go so I'd want something I can potentially remove, wash (or air out) and put back.

Realistically, those criteria lead right back to the towel option. Aside from being a pain in the butt to remove and install, I seriously doubt any aftermarket seat covers are going to survive more than a couple of washings before unraveling. Also, as badly as aftermarket seat covers fit fresh out of the box I shudder to think how badly they'd fit after having been washed.

a320fan

Thu May 21, 2020 9:44 am

Just to add some more, I bought a brand new car the other day and the dealership specifically told me not to put seat covers on as they do interfere with the airbags. They said even so called airbag safe ones don’t work. Now I usually have no faith in anything a car dealer tells me, but in this case they were quite stern about it and they made were going to make no extra money from me either way.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

NIKV69

Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am

As for stains from eating etc on the seats I carry this auto upholstery cleaner from Oxyclean that has a built in brush it works amazing on car seats.
I am the Googlizer!!!

trpmb6

Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Yeah I totally thought this was about car seats for kids.