Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fire in a Downtown Los Angeles Building

Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm

An explosion and fire in a building in Downtown Los Angeles Saturday evening led to several firefighters being injured. Eleven firefighters suffered burn injuries at the commercial smoke shop near Boyd and San Pedro Streets with three firefighters in critical condition and one suffering serious injuries, but they are not life threatening. Several firefighters are in the intensive care unit for burns at the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with two more firefighters on ventilators and one of the firefighterd will need skin grafts. The blaze initially began at the site of a butane honey supply and the fire had moderate smoke when crews arrived. The smoke pressure was increasing when firefighters entered the building and they were directed to get out when the explosion occured. A mayday all was sent over the radio and the 11 injured firefighters were sent to the Los Angeles County-USMC Medical Center within minutes. More than 230 firefighters responded and the fire was put out around 8 pm Pacific Time. It was a very dangerous situation that thankfully resulted in no deaths.
https://abc7.com/multiple-firefighters- ... a/6189711/

N583JB

Re: Fire in a Downtown Los Angeles Building

Sun May 17, 2020 9:26 pm

Saw the video and listened to the radio traffic. Scary stuff. Those guys were lucky to get out alive.

WarRI1

Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 am

I have never seen the like of that before, down through that wall of fire on a ladder and surviving is close to a miracle. Lucky men.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm

An old friend and I were talking about this as it was unfolding Saturday night. Then I saw the drone video, and pictures of their gear and the apparatus. Wow. I could feel the heat in my back just viewing the video.

Incidents like that are why we always trained that full PPE was to be worn every time and properly. Every button, every snap, every bit of Velcro closed...every time.

Kudos to whomever recognized the danger and called the evacuation. From the video, they were clearing out before the area lit up.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 10:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
An old friend and I were talking about this as it was unfolding Saturday night. Then I saw the drone video, and pictures of their gear and the apparatus. Wow. I could feel the heat in my back just viewing the video.

Incidents like that are why we always trained that full PPE was to be worn every time and properly. Every button, every snap, every bit of Velcro closed...every time.

Kudos to whomever recognized the danger and called the evacuation. From the video, they were clearing out before the area lit up.

Have you ever had to fight a fire similar to this one?

LabQuest

Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 pm

Lots of butane goes into making THC concentrate. I bet that place was full of industrial sized canisters.

N583JB

Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I have. Not identical, of course, but similar. Strip mall fire with zero visibility inside. Commercial fires are an entirely different ballgame than your bread and butter residential structure fires. LAFD knows what they are doing, though....they fight a lot of those type fires.

fr8mech

Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

No. I've been in fires where we've had to evacuate due to deteriorating conditions, but I've never been involved in anything close to that.

Got steamed in a basement once, but that doesn't even come close to what these guys went through.

Agreed, that industrial/commercial fires are a different animal.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere