Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scorpio
Topic Author

44% of Republicans believe in Bill Gates microchip vaccine conspiracy.

Sun May 24, 2020 1:45 pm

According to survey by Yahoo News and YouGov. https://www.businessinsider.nl/republic ... =true&r=US

Also, 50% of people who rely on Fox for their news believe this long-debunked conspiracy, and even 19% of Democrats buy into it.
What has happened to the world that this kind of nonsense thinking is becoming mainstream so rapidly?

Newark727

Re: 44% of Republicans believe in Bill Gates microchip vaccine conspiracy.

Sun May 24, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm rather suspicious of individual poll results like this. You could probably get a decent percentage of people on questions like "is the earth flat? Y/N" or "would you take candy from a baby? Y/N" It also doesn't give you much as to the hows and the whys of what people actually think.

That said, however, conservative media has spent decades encouraging distrust and suspicion of any sources, facts, and figures that might be politically inconvenient - it's no surprise that the result is millions of conspiracy theorists.

Aaron747

Sun May 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Scorpio wrote:
According to survey by Yahoo News and YouGov. https://www.businessinsider.nl/republic ... =true&r=US

Also, 50% of people who rely on Fox for their news believe this long-debunked conspiracy, and even 19% of Democrats buy into it.
What has happened to the world that this kind of nonsense thinking is becoming mainstream so rapidly?

Widespread acceptance of spurious and extraordinary claims without evidence shows both critical thinking and attention spans are waning big-time. It is untenable for humanity to be in this position at a time when our access to factual information is at an all-time high. Perhaps it is a fitting and unfortunate reflection on our species that BS and manipulation are at an equivalent high.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Sun May 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Anyone that depends on like minded sources of information for their news are susceptible to being cult drones. They will feed the party line because they don't trust alternative lines or critical thinking.
If you find people that are "fans" of Hannity, Carlson, Limbaugh, Beck, Maddow, Cooper, or a host of other politically driven "hosts", then you will have found people that are being corralled into group think. Fox News and Right wing radio stations manage to do a cross promotion that keeps the cult programmed into the same politically driven mantra. We have seen polls showing that Fox and right wing radio enjoy a high attachment rate of viewers that do not venture out.

There isn't a lot of difference between the Mao Reds, the brown shirts, Pravda, and what is currently going on with Fox News and their viewers. As the spin get's tighter, the reactions to those outside of the cult will get more violent and ludicrous.

That People want to attack a vaccine as a microchip conspiracy highlights a deep seated ability to be cruel and not use common sense in order to spin to their political agenda.
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Sun May 24, 2020 5:13 pm

I had a woman ask me if I would get a vaccine if it were available. I told her of course I would and her eyes got huge and she slowly backed away from me.

Another conspiracy that is going around is all these doctors and professionals with years or even decades of training and research must be questioned and are obvously not trustworthy but neighbor Bob with nothing more than a high school diploma and a web browser is the most trustworthy source.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DfwRevolution

Sun May 24, 2020 5:36 pm

There is an unfortunate and frighting rise in anti-vaccine nonsense. But you can throw out this survey right way from this note here:

The Yahoo News survey was conducted by YouGov using a nationally representative sample of 1,640 U.S. adult residents interviewed online between May 20 and 21, 2020.

Interviewed online? Meaningless.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

stlgph

Sun May 24, 2020 5:52 pm

It just goes to show a lot of people are in desperate need of getting laid.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

alfa164

Sun May 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Widespread acceptance of spurious and extraordinary claims without evidence shows both critical thinking and attention spans are waning big-time. It is untenable for humanity to be in this position at a time when our access to factual information is at an all-time high. Perhaps it is a fitting and unfortunate reflection on our species that BS and manipulation are at an equivalent high.

:checkmark: This. The sophistication of the misinformation campaigns far outstrip the cognitive thinking of their targets; the pliable public has become either too lazy or too dumb to question the information they are being fed - much less the sources of that information. The Coronavirus-deniers/anti-vaxers/let's-get-everything-open-now crowd are paying more attention to and being manipulated by malevolent parties with their own agenda - often bots, as it turns out, from places not particularly friendly to our policies an our way of life.

To wit:

"Despite overwhelming popular support for stay-at-home orders, there has been a strong push online to end lockdown measures—which one study found has been driven largely by bots."

"The study analyzed over 200 million tweets in support of ending shutdown measures and found that 34% of accounts generating such content are “definitely bots,” while another 32% are “possibly humans with bot assistants.” The researchers also found that 82% of the 50 most influential retweeters of anti-lockdown content, and 88% of the top 1,000 retweeters, are bots. These bots, the researchers say, have been proliferating inaccurate stories about coronavirus and potential cures and dominating conversations about reopening the country. While the researchers couldn’t identify specific entities behind the accounts, they did note that the push “looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/05/22/bot-army-behind-reopen-america-push-on-social-media-study-finds/#c94daac39b2b
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

DIRECTFLT

Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Scorpio wrote:

You expect to get the answer to an all-encompassing question like "What has happened to the world that this kind of nonsense thinking is becoming mainstream so rapidly?" I think it would take a book to answer your "question." But maybe you're just trolling conservatives.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

bgm

Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Scorpio wrote:

You expect to get the answer to an all-encompassing question like "What has happened to the world that this kind of nonsense thinking is becoming mainstream so rapidly?" I think it would take a book to answer your "question." But maybe you're just trolling conservatives.

So tell us, do you believe that Bill Gates will use a COVID-19 vaccine to implant a location-tracking microchip in recipients?
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

Scorpio
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Are you seriously not shocked by these numbers? You don't think there's a serious problem when 44% of Republicans AND 19% of Democrats buy into something as insane as this?

petertenthije

Sun May 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Scorpio wrote:

This kind of nonsense is nothing new though.

Totalitarian regimes have always gone to great to make their people believe whatever the ruling body want them to believe. Even going so far to start wars and genocides. Repeat a lie often enough, and people believe it and act on it.

In the past those regimes had the decency to keep it mostly domestic. Obviously, more due to technical limitations then anything else.

Now, anyone with the skills to write bots for social platforms can influence on a global scale. It’s cheap and relatively easy. And i for one would not be surprised at all if Russia, China, North Korea etc are actively pushing this message. Divide and conquer, oldest rule in the book.

And let’s be clear here, the enemy is foreign and domestic. Political parties, lobbying firms and corporations are just as happy using these tools.
Attamottamotta!

stratosphere

Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
I had a woman ask me if I would get a vaccine if it were available. I told her of course I would and her eyes got huge and she slowly backed away from me.

Another conspiracy that is going around is all these doctors and professionals with years or even decades of training and research must be questioned and are obvously not trustworthy but neighbor Bob with nothing more than a high school diploma and a web browser is the most trustworthy source.

I am not buying into the Gates implanting chips into people but I do think he has a financial gain in this somehow. I take my flu shot every year and I am not an anti vaxer. But I would be suspect of any vaccine that comes around this quick as much as I would like to see one. I would have more trust in a therapudic that can tamp down the life threatening effects of this virus rather than a vaccine. Even our own flu vaccines don't always work. I got type A flu this year despite getting a flu shot.

Jalap

Sun May 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Scorpio wrote:

And what can be done to end this?
I can understand that "our enemies" try to undermine and weaken "us" with fake news and propaganda.
Yet this can only be successfull if people buy that nonsense. How it is possible that people in a civilised country still can't see the difference between facts and nonsense, this is completely beyond me.
I suppose the stupidity of people can never be underestimated.
It's quite depressing.

DIRECTFLT

Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 pm

bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Scorpio wrote:

So tell us, do you believe that Bill Gates will use a COVID-19 vaccine to implant a location-tracking microchip in recipients?

It remains to be seen.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DLFREEBIRD

Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

It remains to be seen.

explain using critical thinking skills

observation,
analysis,
interpretation,
reflection,
evaluation,
inference,
explanation,
problem-solving,
and decision making.

it remains to be seen, is not answering a question, it's just being lazy.

flyguy89

Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 am

I'd want to read the survey questions before I give up on humanity.

WarRI1

Mon May 25, 2020 1:00 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

It remains to be seen.

That is a scary reply, that shows how the mentality of some allow conspiracies take hold. I find it alarming that people are that gullible as your answer shows all too well. I now have a better understanding of how this moron we have in the W.H. was elected. :shakehead:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DocLightning

Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 am

stratosphere wrote:
I am not buying into the Gates implanting chips into people but I do think he has a financial gain in this somehow.

He doesn't. He is the second-wealthiest man in the world and he doesn't need more money. He has funded countless vaccine projects for diseases you've never even heard of. Nipah? Hendra? The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has had a hand in the development of new vaccines and the dissemination of existing vaccines to the poorest corners of the world where there is no profit to be made.

Mr. Gates seems to be of the attitude that he doesn't need any more money and in the tradition of many of the world's wealthiest men, he is now giving much of his wealth away.

stratosphere wrote:
But I would be suspect of any vaccine that comes around this quick as much as I would like to see one. I would have more trust in a therapudic that can tamp down the life threatening effects of this virus rather than a vaccine.

While I agree that a vaccine like this is something I will need to examine closely, the therapeutics are not likely to be much better, and you really don't want to get sick enough to need them in the first place. Remdesivir probably causes some amount of stress on the kidney. We already saw how hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine worked out. Convalescent sera is rare and precious and the monoclonal antibodies will probably not be as effective as they were against ebola. Right now, tocilizumab, at $2,600/dose seems to be particularly promising. But all of these agents carry their own risks.

I think I'd take my chances with 50-100ng of mRNA over any of those medications.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seb146

Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am not buying into the Gates implanting chips into people but I do think he has a financial gain in this somehow. I take my flu shot every year and I am not an anti vaxer. But I would be suspect of any vaccine that comes around this quick as much as I would like to see one. I would have more trust in a therapudic that can tamp down the life threatening effects of this virus rather than a vaccine. Even our own flu vaccines don't always work. I got type A flu this year despite getting a flu shot.

Of course he will financially gain from it.

I do not buy the first version of any electronic product. This is the same thing. It is not electronic but I feel it is still in beta. I will get covid vaccine 2.0 or 3.0 because 1.0 still has bugs, no pun intended. I have gotten a flu shot once since I became an adult and I got the flu once since I became an adult. Both were different years. I know shots work most of the time. I also know that proper hygiene like hand washing and avoiding sick people helps too.

seb146

Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 am

DocLightning wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
But I would be suspect of any vaccine that comes around this quick as much as I would like to see one. I would have more trust in a therapudic that can tamp down the life threatening effects of this virus rather than a vaccine.

While I agree that a vaccine like this is something I will need to examine closely, the therapeutics are not likely to be much better, and you really don't want to get sick enough to need them in the first place. Remdesivir probably causes some amount of stress on the kidney. We already saw how hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine worked out. Convalescent sera is rare and precious and the monoclonal antibodies will probably not be as effective as they were against ebola. Right now, tocilizumab, at $2,600/dose seems to be particularly promising. But all of these agents carry their own risks.

I think I'd take my chances with 50-100ng of mRNA over any of those medications.

I see banner ads as well as ads on daytime trash TV about class action lawsuits over Truvada (emtricitabine/tenofovir) that involve kidney issues and even kidney failure. I wonder if the whole class of ARV have the same issue? Remdesivir is the second one I have seen that has a side effect of kidney issues.

Eyad89

Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 am

stratosphere wrote:
But I would be suspect of any vaccine that comes around this quick as much as I would like to see one. I would have more trust in a therapudic that can tamp down the life threatening effects of this virus rather than a vaccine. Even our own flu vaccines don't always work. I got type A flu this year despite getting a flu shot.

As for why the vaccine is being developed much faster than we’ve seen with other vaccines:

1- thanks to SARS and MERS, we have had a head start with COVID vaccine research. Previous literature has helped.

2- we have never seen all the great medical minds of the world work together on a single issue as much as we are seeing now. Of course, this research will move faster. As of now, 100+ companies are working on their own vaccines, and a couple of them will start distributing them before the end of 2020 (finally, good news)

Aesma

Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 am

Gates/foundation was talking about paying to build several plants to makes vaccines, knowing full well some of them will end up useless, so I don't see how money can be made that way. Furthermore to make money you have to sell something, I expect the vaccine to be very cheap and even free for billions of people.

What Gates seeks, is to make an impact, and he feels he can make more of one that way than by being president of the US. So in a way if you're an antivaxxer, climate change denier, you're right to not like him.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In the spirit of the thread, what is your basis for that? Based on all objective evidence, Gates is not interested in ‘gains’ - he reports to work at his foundation most days and seems to enjoy a role as public intellectual over playboy or showboat. Lord knows he has enough wealth to play all he wants and chooses not to.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Newark727

Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

It remains to be seen.

These are the kind of weasel words that let utter nonsense get into the public discourse. It's kind of like those guys "just asking questions" about whether maybe Bush did 9/11, or birthers saying "they don't know" whether Barack Obama was a natural born citizen.

Kiwirob

Mon May 25, 2020 5:26 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Anyone with stupid amounts of money and smart people managing it can make money even during the worst crisis. I just look at my own pension, the smart boys running it have quickly made back the initial loss in March and I'm ahead now.

Scorpio
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

explain using critical thinking skills

observation,
analysis,
interpretation,
reflection,
evaluation,
inference,
explanation,
problem-solving,
and decision making.

People who buy into conspiracies THAT idiotic tend not to possess any of those skills, so I wouldn't be holding my breath...

readytotaxi

Mon May 25, 2020 11:29 am

From an outsider POV i think the US governmennt has failed its children in state run schools over many years, and they are not the only country to do this. Not enough monies are ploughed into education and too much into military defence. Just my :twocents: worth.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

tommy1808

Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 am

readytotaxi wrote:
From an outsider POV i think the US governmennt has failed its children in state run schools over many years, and they are not the only country to do this. Not enough monies are ploughed into education and too much into military defence. Just my :twocents: worth.

That is by Design, as good education tends to interfere with kids keeping faith. And with voting for the GOP.

TX GOP plattfrom 2012 wrote:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Critical thinking is evil.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

EstherLouise

Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Injecting chips requires a 7 gauge needle. It's huge... About 2 mm in diameter. Vaccines require a 22 gauge needle. If the COVID-19 vaccine uses a tiny 22 gauge needle, you can be safe that there's no chip involved.
Last edited by EstherLouise on Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

casinterest

Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
Injecting chips requires a 7 gauge needle. It's huge. Vaccines require a 22 gauge needle.

Injecting chips is so expensive and imprecise
Cell Phones are much cheaper and more easily tracked :)
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Mon May 25, 2020 5:16 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
Injecting chips requires a 7 gauge needle. It's huge... About 2 mm in diameter. Vaccines require a 22 gauge needle. If the COVID-19 vaccine uses a tiny 22 gauge needle, you can be safe that there's no chip involved.

Don't use facts. They don't believe them anyway.....

Newark727

Mon May 25, 2020 6:28 pm

...despite abundant evidence to the contrary...

LCDFlight

Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Scorpio wrote:

Let’s make it a little more general. Are tech companies lobbying, sometimes successfully, to enact new tracking systems, supposedly for COVID, but without ruling out future commercial applications?

Yes they are... Eric Schmidt has a number of quotes saying he doesn’t believe in Privacy. So does Mark Zuckerberg (along the lines of, more sharing is good). Elon Musk is also talking about bio-implants lately in the news. So as a generality, the rumor is accurate and correct. The specific person and technology were not correct.

It is overall correct that tech executives are selling the contact tracing capability (encouraging relaxed privacy laws if needed), are of course talking about vaccines (including Gates), and also talking about bio-implants (Musk). In fact, my latest iOS update 13.5 specifically called out that it builds COVID 19 tracking in, as part of a partnership between Apple and Google.

You cannot expect average people to make A perfectly accurate synopsis of the latest tech research, legal rulings and medical research. We could write this type of story all day.
Last edited by LCDFlight on Mon May 25, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWAESC

Mon May 25, 2020 7:22 pm

casinterest wrote:

yep, and I'm willing to bet that the people peddling the Gates conspiracies also have all their location/app settings wide open.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

alfa164

Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 pm

NWAESC wrote:
casinterest wrote:

yep, and I'm willing to bet that the people peddling the Gates conspiracies also have all their location/app settings wide open.

:checkmark: Maybe they think their tin hats will protect them from tracking...

DocLightning

Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 am

seb146 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
I see banner ads as well as ads on daytime trash TV about class action lawsuits over Truvada (emtricitabine/tenofovir) that involve kidney issues and even kidney failure. I wonder if the whole class of ARV have the same issue? Remdesivir is the second one I have seen that has a side effect of kidney issues.

I mean, we don't know. It's not as if the were giving remdesivir to a hundred healthy volunteers first. It's kind of a big molecule (not huge) with multiple charges on it. The dose is only 100-200mg and it's only for five days, so probably not horrible...and also COVID-19 is not exactly salubrious for the kidneys, either.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stl07

Tue May 26, 2020 6:25 am

44 percent of Republicans...

surprised it's not more considering you would have to be pretty stupid to have not left the party after 2016
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Sokes

Tue May 26, 2020 10:09 am

From the OP's link:
"44% of Republicans surveyed believe that Bill Gates will use the coronavirus vaccine to implant a microchip with a digital ID that would track the recipient’s movements."

I'm not sure if I should shake my head over the 44% or over the people who believe that survey.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Dieuwer

Thu May 28, 2020 10:35 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Totalitarian regimes have always gone to great to make their people believe whatever the ruling body want them to believe. Even going so far to start wars and genocides. Repeat a lie often enough, and people believe it and act on it.

In the past those regimes had the decency to keep it mostly domestic. Obviously, more due to technical limitations then anything else.

Now, anyone with the skills to write bots for social platforms can influence on a global scale. It’s cheap and relatively easy. And i for one would not be surprised at all if Russia, China, North Korea etc are actively pushing this message. Divide and conquer, oldest rule in the book.

And let’s be clear here, the enemy is foreign and domestic. Political parties, lobbying firms and corporations are just as happy using these tools.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

alfa164

Thu May 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Gobbels, Hitler's Propaganda Minister

T18

Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Newark727 wrote:
I'm rather suspicious of individual poll results like this. You could probably get a decent percentage of people on questions like "is the earth flat? Y/N" or "would you take candy from a baby? Y/N" It also doesn't give you much as to the hows and the whys of what people actually think.

That said, however, conservative media has spent decades encouraging distrust and suspicion of any sources, facts, and figures that might be politically inconvenient - it's no surprise that the result is millions of conspiracy theorists.

I seem to recall polling about Lizard people having very high numbers that were likely due to people just being silly when answering crazy questions. These seems extra true of automated and internet polling sources as well.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

agill

Fri May 29, 2020 4:15 pm

It's funny because microchips is such a 1980:s paranoia. Really shows how stupid and behind the times those people are.

Sokes

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:12 am

T18 wrote:
I seem to recall polling about Lizard people having very high numbers that were likely due to people just being silly when answering crazy questions. These seems extra true of automated and internet polling sources as well.

That sounds reasonable.
I once received a phone call. The lady wanted to make a survey. I agreed.
Question: "Do you prefer nuclear or the CO2 by lignite plants."
I objected to the question, as I prefer renewables with combined cycle gas turbines backup. The lady would not accept that answer. I suspect it was a survey by the nuclear lobby.

source: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/421320
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

KFTG

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:19 am

They're not sending their best.