Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bgm
Topic Author

Another day, another Karen...

Tue May 26, 2020 12:42 pm

.... this time in NYC.

A video has gone viral of a white woman calling the cops on a black man who simply asked her to leash her dog. The woman was in an area in New York City's Central Park known as the Ramble, where rules require that dogs be leashed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-plac ... oes-viral/
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

cpd

Re: Another day, another Karen...

Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 pm

bgm wrote:
.... this time in NYC.

A video has gone viral of a white woman calling the cops on a black man who simply asked her to leash her dog. The woman was in an area in New York City's Central Park known as the Ramble, where rules require that dogs be leashed.

Never mind the rules, some dog owners around my area are a law of their own.

Jessie is fine! NO!!! Jessie - come back!!!

Meanwhile Jessie the dog is chasing someone. :mad:

The best bit? The owner was within sight of a sign that declares dogs must be on a leash.

Someone throw the book at this lady, for the benefit of everyone.

Edit: seems no need for that, she has done enough damage to her cause already.

N583JB

Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm

With regard to this incident, the woman's behavior seems to be completely uncalled for. While we don't know what happened in the moments before the video was taken, the man in question seems to be speaking calmly and rationally, which makes it hard for me to believe that he "threatened" the woman as she claimed. Also, the woman seemed to have a threatening tone in her voice when she told the man that she would call the police and tell them that "there's an African-American man threatening my life". She knew exactly what she was doing.

After reading the article, though, I was a bit sad to see that she surrendered the dog in question back to the shelter that she adopted it from. Apparently she had owned the dog for several years. Dogs don't know a thing about racism and even people that are bigots can provide good homes for dogs. Now the dog is back in a cage and I'm not sure exactly why.

Anyways, videos like these help bring to light the awfulness that people with a darker skin tone have to go through on a routine basis. As a white person who has never had to suffer from ignorance like this, I feel sorry for my black and brown brothers and sisters. I am sorry that such ignorance exists and I am sorry that you are continuously subjected to it.

LCDFlight

Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm

These stories always fascinate me because it is pretty hard to be sure who escalated first. It is not okay to threaten someone - nearly any response is lawful after you have been threatened. So it can become tricky.

Most seem to agree the unleashed dog lady was in the wrong. The guy was video recording her for his own protection, a very very good idea.

dtw2hyd

Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

N583JB wrote:
After reading the article, though, I was a bit sad to see that she surrendered the dog in question back to the shelter that she adopted it from. Apparently she had owned the dog for several years. Dogs don't know a thing about racism and even people that are bigots can provide good homes for dogs. Now the dog is back in a cage and I'm not sure exactly why.

Yes it is unfortunate dog lost a home and back in the shelter. Having said that the way owner handled the dog in a stressful situation was not appropriate.

Back to the initial issue, she could have said, sorry I thought no one else was in the park, and put the leash back on, both could have had a good laugh and move on with their lives. But I guess her Facebook training didn't permit such logical choice.
All posts are just opinions.

seb146

Tue May 26, 2020 5:12 pm

She told 911 "...an African-American man is threatening me" but he does no such thing. Oh, the best part is when she says "I'm not a racist but...."
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N583JB

Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm

seb146 wrote:
She told 911 "...an African-American man is threatening me" but he does no such thing. Oh, the best part is when she says "I'm not a racist but...."

"I have black friends!"

Moose135

Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 pm

N583JB wrote:

The dog went back to the rescue group she got him from - from what I've seen of other such groups, he is probably being well cared for, quite possibly fostered in someone's home. And from some of the other incidents I've seen reported in the aftermath of this, he may be better off out of her home.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

trpmb6

Tue May 26, 2020 5:39 pm

Moose135 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

The dog went back to the rescue group she got him from - from what I've seen of other such groups, he is probably being well cared for, quite possibly fostered in someone's home. And from some of the other incidents I've seen reported in the aftermath of this, he may be better off out of her home.

100% this. I know several foster homes that ensure animals find homes - some never set foot in the actual shelters. Very successful and they do a great job. This dog is way better off right now.

Surprised no one has complained about the subject of the post "another Karen." And to think this happened NYC and not Trump's Heartland.

Aaron747

Tue May 26, 2020 5:52 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

100% this. I know several foster homes that ensure animals find homes - some never set foot in the actual shelters. Very successful and they do a great job. This dog is way better off right now.

Surprised no one has complained about the subject of the post "another Karen." And to think this happened NYC and not Trump's Heartland.

It was pretty obvious from her accent in the video that she is not a native of NYC, or the east coast for that matter.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

trpmb6

Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Moose135 wrote:

It was pretty obvious from her accent in the video that she is not a native of NYC, or the east coast for that matter.

I didn't get that. Sure its not the stereotypical NY accent but that doesn't mean she isn't native to NYC. And now after watching the video I think she's just a bit looney or something. Her dog was not well trained either.

NIKV69

Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Yes it is unfortunate dog lost a home and back in the shelter. Having said that the way owner handled the dog in a stressful situation was not appropriate.

Back to the initial issue, she could have said, sorry I thought no one else was in the park, and put the leash back on, both could have had a good laugh and move on with their lives. But I guess her Facebook training didn't permit such logical choice.

Thankfully that Dog is not hers anymore she shouldn't be able to own Animals!

How about if she just followed the leash law?
I am the Googlizer!!!

NWAESC

Tue May 26, 2020 8:00 pm

There was some discussion on Twitter that this dog has been hurt a few times previously while in her care.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

alberchico

Tue May 26, 2020 8:29 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tcher.html

The woman in question has been fired from her six figure job.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

einsteinboricua

Tue May 26, 2020 8:33 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Karens are everywhere. If they're usually more prominent in the heartland, that's a different story.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TSS

Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Karens are everywhere. If they're usually more prominent in the heartland, that's a different story.

Yeah, I've never though of the term "Karen" as having any sort of location connotation. The classic "Karen" is middle-aged, a little bit heavy, and wears some sort of overwrought, highly processed hairstyle (usually the "I'm wearing a pageboy wig backwards" look first seen on Kate Gosselin of Jon And Kate Plus 8), but they come in all shapes, colors, and sizes and can be heard loudly calling for a manager (or the police) in stores and other public places all across this great land of ours.

I don't get why she was trying to strangle the dog. Was she planning on telling the police that he did it?

The lady who called the police on the black family having a barbecue in Oakland and the lady who called the police on the little girl selling bottles of water on the street during a heatwave in NYC (I think... possibly San Francisco) were both classic Karens except for their lack of ornate, high-maintenance hairdos and both of those incidents occurred in urban or relatively urban areas not known for Trump support.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

NIKV69

Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 pm

NWAESC wrote:
There was some discussion on Twitter that this dog has been hurt a few times previously while in her care.

Looking at the video I don't doubt it.
I am the Googlizer!!!

AirWorthy99

Tue May 26, 2020 11:15 pm

So now all Karen's will be associated with being racist? This woman is an outright racist no doubt. But I thought Karen's weren't of that sort, the bitchy kind but not racist.

BTW, I fear soon enough the term "Karen" will be labeled misogynist and men who use it "Sexist". Its going to happen soon, I remember a Karen running for office around 3 years or so ago.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Tue May 26, 2020 11:45 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
So now all Karen's will be associated with being racist? This woman is an outright racist no doubt. But I thought Karen's weren't of that sort, the bitchy kind but not racist.

BTW, I fear soon enough the term "Karen" will be labeled misogynist and men who use it "Sexist". Its going to happen soon, I remember a Karen running for office around 3 years or so ago.

There is already an online war about it with both SJWs and conservative white women claiming it is offensive. Both are wrong and I think it has a place, just as ‘Uncle Tom’ and other political terms do. ‘Highly disruptive and ignorant middle-aged woman powered by entitlement and a dash of crazy’ doesn’t fit in a sentence.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

StarAC17

Wed May 27, 2020 1:00 am

cpd wrote:
bgm wrote:
.... this time in NYC.

Never mind the rules, some dog owners around my area are a law of their own.

Jessie is fine! NO!!! Jessie - come back!!!

Meanwhile Jessie the dog is chasing someone. :mad:

The best bit? The owner was within sight of a sign that declares dogs must be on a leash.

Someone throw the book at this lady, for the benefit of everyone.

Edit: seems no need for that, she has done enough damage to her cause already.

I have blasted dog owners many times for not having their dogs on a leash.

About 10 years ago I was walking my family's Bichon-Poodle who weighed 15lbs, in the neighborhood some people take their labs off leash in the park. One charged at my dog and she was a fair distance away on an extendable leash but I was able to pick her up before the other dog got too close. The lab was just curious about another dog and wasn't aggressive but I said it doesn't matter they are still wolves and potentially aggressive animals if provoked in the wrong way. A rescue dog that has faced potential abuse is even more of a risk to aggressive actions.

Another reason that you should never leave a dog unsupervised with little kids and babies. It hasn't been aggressive yet but always has the potential to do so.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

TSS

Wed May 27, 2020 7:59 am

Comedians Andrew Schulz and Akaash Singh's satirical take on how this event relates to #BelieveAllWomen (NSFW) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wrkamy8RVA

TSS

Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm

YouTuber Optimus goes in-depth on the "Karen" meme and why it is not a slur but is instead an observation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gYQgO-mOOc

NIKV69

Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm

TSS wrote:
YouTuber Optimus goes in-depth on the "Karen" meme and why it is not a slur but is instead an observation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gYQgO-mOOc

Of course it's a slur and derogatory. Give me a break.
I am the Googlizer!!!

dtw2hyd

Wed May 27, 2020 1:41 pm

alberchico wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8358173/Bill-Blasio-brands-Central-Park-Karen-racist-calling-911-African-American-bird-watcher.html

I am sure there is a gofund page setup to cover her short term losses and to file a case against employer, birdwatcher et. al for the mental and financial hardship.

Aaron747

Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
alberchico wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8358173/Bill-Blasio-brands-Central-Park-Karen-racist-calling-911-African-American-bird-watcher.html

I am sure there is a gofund page setup to cover her short term losses and to file a case against employer, birdwatcher et. al for the mental and financial hardship.

Unless she has an exclusive contractual agreement, there will be no recourse for her in court. NY is an at-will employment state, and FT, like other large financial corps, doubtless has clear PR and damage-to-company clauses in their criteria for termination.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Unless she has an exclusive contractual agreement, there will be no recourse for her in court. NY is an at-will employment state, and FT, like other large financial corps, doubtless has clear PR and damage-to-company clauses in their criteria for termination.

Most states are at-will just like most states are right-to-work. Have you heard the distress she was in, she almost choked her dog, where was NYPD, rather than sending a SWAT team to her rescue, twitterati got her fired from her cushy job. Somebody has to pay for it, if not the former employer NYPD has to pay. A Karen from Central Park calls 911 and no response, that has to be failure.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm

after watching the video, I'm pretty sure that her dog didn't like her either.

einsteinboricua

Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm

TSS wrote:
Funny Karen memes:

I posted on on my Instagram of a Karen with an overgrown bobcut that said "It's a well known fact that a Karen's mane grows each day she goes without talking to a manager".

NIKV69 wrote:
Elaborate, please. Do tell us, oh great Social Justice Warrior, how "Karen" is a slur and a derogatory term. Are we gonna start calling it the K-word?

AirWorthy99 wrote:
"Karen" has never been associated with a racist woman (though because it's usually a term for a White woman, if she commits a racist act, it's a plus). This woman was labeled a "Karen" for her attitude. For White women calling the police on Black people, names like BBQ Becky, Permit Patty, and Cornerstone Caroline are what come to mind. If she had just called the police (for whatever reason) against the Black guy but she herself was not breaking the rules or was simply passing by, it's likely she would have earned a similar nickname like Park Patricia or Dog Walker Deborah or Running Rachel instead of Karen.

Aaron747

Wed May 27, 2020 2:43 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Most states are at-will just like most states are right-to-work. Have you heard the distress she was in, she almost choked her dog, where was NYPD, rather than sending a SWAT team to her rescue, twitterati got her fired from her cushy job. Somebody has to pay for it, if not the former employer NYPD has to pay. A Karen from Central Park calls 911 and no response, that has to be failure.

She has already attempted to apologize in public yada yada....she has no discernible case. She torpedoed her career in one maligned dog-walk, all because she was too entitled to leash the animal. Incredibly dumb.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lugie

Wed May 27, 2020 2:43 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
TSS wrote:

How the hell is it a slur when it targets people of a certain age and demographic who choose to behave a particular(ly shitty) way?

Is "asshole" a slur against... people who behave like assholes?

Karen would be a slur if it was directed at all middle-aged white women period.

But that's not what it's about, it refers explicitly to middle-aged white women with that distinct "I need to speak to the manager" / "911? Yeah there's a black man walking/having a BBQ/watching birds around my neighborhood/park" attitude.

Big difference.
Don't want to be called that word? Simply don't behave that way. Doesn't work like that for actual slurs.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

AirWorthy99

Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
"Karen" has never been associated with a racist woman (though because it's usually a term for a White woman, if she commits a racist act, it's a plus). This woman was labeled a "Karen" for her attitude. For White women calling the police on Black people, names like BBQ Becky, Permit Patty, and Cornerstone Caroline are what come to mind. If she had just called the police (for whatever reason) against the Black guy but she herself was not breaking the rules or was simply passing by, it's likely she would have earned a similar nickname like Park Patricia or Dog Walker Deborah or Running Rachel instead of Karen.

You all may become surprised that this racist Karen might be a liberal and even a Democrat considering she lives and works in NYC. What are the chances?, a woman white, makes a lot of money herself, huge chances this woman might be a democrat or a liberal.

I tend to think she is, because if not by know we would have known she was a Republican.

In any case, there are Karen's everywhere. Just recently I can remember one democrat candidate who was like that, her name is Elizabeth Warren, same attitude.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

einsteinboricua

Wed May 27, 2020 3:25 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
You all may become surprised that this racist Karen might be a liberal and even a Democrat considering she lives and works in NYC.

Why are you injecting politics into the term? Where are people assuming that she's a conservative? Even some liberal women have their Karen attitudes. This has nothing to do with politics or the region where they live.

It's almost as if you're offended by the term and are trying to find a way to make it offensive overall.

Aaron747

Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

You all may become surprised that this racist Karen might be a liberal and even a Democrat considering she lives and works in NYC. What are the chances?, a woman white, makes a lot of money herself, huge chances this woman might be a democrat or a liberal.

I tend to think she is, because if not by know we would have known she was a Republican.

In any case, there are Karen's everywhere. Just recently I can remember one democrat candidate who was like that, her name is Elizabeth Warren, same attitude.

Correction - *used to* make a good salary. Not anymore.

And you might be surprised to know a lot of mature adults don't care about her party registration. All that matters is that she tried to game the system, got caught, and then was rightfully shitcanned.

AirWorthy99

Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
You all may become surprised that this racist Karen might be a liberal and even a Democrat considering she lives and works in NYC.

Why are you injecting politics into the term? Where are people assuming that she's a conservative? Even some liberal women have their Karen attitudes. This has nothing to do with politics or the region where they live.

It's almost as if you're offended by the term and are trying to find a way to make it offensive overall.

Not offended, and it is important. This term has been mostly used towards women who are thougtht to lean Republican..

The woman in question has donated money to democrats in the past. So yes she is a liberal and a life-long democrat.

Why is it important? allow me to quote the liberal newspaper 'the independent':
However, campaign contribution information — with donations to Democrats such as Barack Obama, Pete Buttigieg, and John Kerry — leaked online earlier today appeared to suggest that Amy actually identifies as a liberal. If true, this matters, because in this political era, during this most critical US presidential election, it is necessary that we understand and recognize that white violence transcends party lines and political ideology.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/am ... 33581.html

For some reason, the narrative is that "MAGA country" and those who live there are racists. This is in NYC and by a liberal woman. The newspaper is correct, racism exists in all party lines and ideologies.

So lets not stereotype those who lean conservatives or Republicans and such as only the 'racists' in this country. Because its not true.

Tugger

Wed May 27, 2020 6:13 pm

First, I have and do enjoy complaining about and mocking the "Karen's" out there. I have my fun with this as many others are now.

But simply put, to call a woman "a Karen" as it is now related, is derogatory and is an effective slur against the millions of women with the name Karen who are nothing like and have nothing to do with this, with "the meaning of Karen" now.

If you are someone who can't understand that or admit that then (I think) you are being intentionally obtuse. Seriously, how is it not derogatory to lump entire group of people into a stereotype, particularly a stereotype that is mocked and derided? Can you please tell me what group you can do that with? Would you actually say all the funny things and stuff to your friend Karen? (Without apologizing for making fun of her/her name?) Do you think your friend Karen really enjoys it?

So why not just admit it? It is derogatory, it is mocking, it lumps a bunch of women that have no part of it into this and hurts their feelings. I can admit that, that I am having fun at the expense of someone else somewhere (and yet I still have fun with it!).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Wed May 27, 2020 6:42 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Not offended, and it is important. This term has been mostly used towards women who are thougtht to lean Republican..

The woman in question has donated money to democrats in the past. So yes she is a liberal and a life-long democrat.

Why is it important? allow me to quote the liberal newspaper 'the independent':
However, campaign contribution information — with donations to Democrats such as Barack Obama, Pete Buttigieg, and John Kerry — leaked online earlier today appeared to suggest that Amy actually identifies as a liberal. If true, this matters, because in this political era, during this most critical US presidential election, it is necessary that we understand and recognize that white violence transcends party lines and political ideology.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/am ... 33581.html

For some reason, the narrative is that "MAGA country" and those who live there are racists. This is in NYC and by a liberal woman. The newspaper is correct, racism exists in all party lines and ideologies.

So lets not stereotype those who lean conservatives or Republicans and such as only the 'racists' in this country. Because its not true.

Who cares if they are a "liberal, or a conservative"? This was just wrong. This Red herring escapes the fact that the dog whistling from the top needs to be called out, especially when leaders are involved. You saw that last week Biden got called out and apologized. Right wing Media just finds a way to pass the buck onto some other dog whistle when it happens on the right without calling out for an apology.
Where ever you go, there you are.

einsteinboricua

Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

But you're the one who's bringing politics here. No one here has said that Karens are only conservative women. No one has said that Karens are all racist. You're drawing attention to an issue no one is at odds with.

But while you're at it, let's not stereotype anyone at all. Someone leans liberal? That doesn't make them a socialist. Someone is for human rights? That doesn't make them enemies of the state.

Tugger wrote:
But simply put, to call a woman "a Karen" as it is now related, is derogatory and is an effective slur against the millions of women with the name Karen who are nothing like and have nothing to do with this, with "the meaning of Karen" now.

I'll meet you halfway and say that directly calling a woman a Karen could be derogatory. But just like the term redneck, it's a generic term for a person with certain "qualities" and behavior that are not typically seen in other sections of the population, and it usually transcends race, gender, politics, and social status.

Calling someone by the term directly is derogatory. Using the term to describe behavior, I wouldn't go as far as to say that's derogatory.

Of course, the reason some consider the term derogatory (and sexist) is because a male equivalent has yet to be developed. So far, only the fact that they may have a buzzcut haircut is the most a male equivalent of Karen has been described, but there's no attitude equivalent...not even a name (I've argued for Glenn, but that's yet to take off). I'm certain that if a generic term had been developed that were equally applicable across all genders and races, it likely wouldn't be stirring up controversy.

alfa164

Wed May 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Tugger wrote:
First, I have and do enjoy complaining about and mocking the "Karen's" out there. I have my fun with this as many others are now. But simply put, to call a woman "a Karen" as it is now related, is derogatory and is an effective slur against the millions of women with the name Karen who are nothing like and have nothing to do with this, with "the meaning of Karen" now.

einsteinboricua wrote:
So far, only the fact that they may have a buzzcut haircut is the most a male equivalent of Karen has been described, but there's no attitude equivalent...not even a name .

I think we should change the name we use to "NIK". It is non-sexual, could be either gender, sounds just pretentious enough to fit the stereotype, and, in the instances I have seen, perfectly describes an obnoxious, self-important, unthinking, small-minded person.

Is everyone ready to start a movement?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2020 7:36 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Interestingly enough, she's a Canadian. So much for the commonly held idea that Canadians are always polite.

Tugger wrote:
First, I have and do enjoy complaining about and mocking the "Karen's" out there. I have my fun with this as many others are now.

If you are someone who can't understand that or admit that then (I think) you are being intentionally obtuse. Seriously, how is it not derogatory to lump entire group of people into a stereotype, particularly a stereotype that is mocked and derided? Can you please tell me what group you can do that with? Would you actually say all the funny things and stuff to your friend Karen? (Without apologizing for making fun of her/her name?) Do you think your friend Karen really enjoys it?

So why not just admit it? It is derogatory, it is mocking, it lumps a bunch of women that have no part of it into this and hurts their feelings. I can admit that, that I am having fun at the expense of someone else somewhere (and yet I still have fun with it!).

Tugg

There is a Wiki page for this ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang) ) and they go with "pejorative" rather than derogatory or slur.

The "origin story" of "Karen" is a sign of our times.

I'm familiar with a whole bunch of mouthy entitled middle aged people, but have to say it is not a white only phenomena nor a female only phenomena.

I had a great friend in college years ago named Karen (so she's now middle aged), and she was a phenomena all on her own. Very intelligent, holding straight As, lively, saw the humor in so many different situations, totally comfortable in her own skin. Last I heard she was Chief of Nursing at a large hospital so presumably front and center in dealing with COVID-19. I hate to think this pejorative is being dropped on her.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Dogman

Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Revelation wrote:

Interestingly enough, she's a Canadian. So much for the commonly held idea that Canadians are always polite.

That's why she was expelled from Canada to New York. :duck:

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Dogman wrote:
Revelation wrote:

That's why she was expelled from Canada to New York. :duck:

Well played, sir! :D

Too bad for her, she's even worn out her welcome in NY, which is saying something.

NIKV69

Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Revelation wrote:

There is a Wiki page for this ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang) ) and they go with "pejorative" rather than derogatory or slur.

It's a negative connotation putting a white woman in a bad light but since it's not white on black it can't be a slur in the MSM media.
I am the Googlizer!!!

scbriml

Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

It's a negative connotation putting a white woman in a bad light but since it's not white on black it can't be a slur in the MSM media.

The only thing putting these women in a bad light is their own behaviour.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MaverickM11

Wed May 27, 2020 10:26 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Yes, progressives can be racist. The difference is we don't make racism a core value, viewing every iota of civil rights progress as an affront, like conservatives have been hell bent on normalizing since they lost the Civil War.
AirWorthy99 wrote:
For some reason, the narrative is that "MAGA country" and those who live there are racists

Narrative lol. Bless your heart. The racism is a feature, not a bug. Or as y'all call it "economic anxiety".

AirWorthy99 wrote:

:rotfl: This is the funniest thing I've read today hands down. Let's not stereotype the klan as being the only racists! There are very fine people on both sides right?
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't take responsibility at all

Tugger

Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Tugger wrote:

I'll meet you halfway and say that directly calling a woman a Karen could be derogatory. But just like the term redneck, it's a generic term for a person with certain "qualities" and behavior that are not typically seen in other sections of the population, and it usually transcends race, gender, politics, and social status.

Calling someone by the term directly is derogatory. Using the term to describe behavior, I wouldn't go as far as to say that's derogatory.

"derogatory"
- showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.
Not sure how it is not critical or disrespectful of your friend Karen. And that is a key difference from "redneck"or such. I agree that it is kinda sorta no worse than that. EXCEPT for the fact that there is not a decent sized population of people name "Redneck" (won't be surprised if some idiot parents somewhere named their kid that). We are assigning "unpleasing" qualities to be covered by that term, which is in fact someone's NAME.

Again, I get the funny, I just also get that I am hurting a bunch of people that are being given no say in the matter.

Revelation wrote:

Sure, pejorative, that's fine too.

NIKV69 wrote:

It is not applying only to white people. Anyone can be a Karen, it's an attitude and approach to things (store and restaurants managers in particular apparently) not a skin color.

(By the way, would it be OK to say: "Oh THAT's a LaQuisha there!")

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

trpmb6

Wed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Can we change the subject and start discussing Chad's and Kyle's?

kaitak

Wed May 27, 2020 11:32 pm

Revelation wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

The "origin story" of "Karen" is a sign of our times..

She's Canadian ... and a Democrat? Is that allowed; I thought that foreign nationals were not allowed to be members or contributors to US political parties?

As to the origin of the name Karen as a slur, the Wikipedia link didn't work; can anyone give a precis?

dtw2hyd

Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

Revelation wrote:

She was polite though, she told Mr. Cooper what lie she is going to tell to the 911 operator ahead of the call on video, and she said "excuse me" to the dog.

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 pm

kaitak wrote:

As to the origin of the name Karen as a slur, the Wikipedia link didn't work; can anyone give a precis?

Hmm, this link appears to work.

Seems the web site ate the last ')' in the url I posted before.

Concierge

Thu May 28, 2020 12:40 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

NYPD did respond. Both parties left before the cops arrived.