Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 18
 
JJJ
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 10:42 am

Newark727 wrote:

N583JB wrote:
And just like that the entire country forgot about Floyd and turned against the protesters. Congrats, guys. You ruined your movement again.

Martial law. Now.


Try to contain your excitement.


Because everyone knows two wrongs make a right.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11897
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 am

JJJ wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

N583JB wrote:
And just like that the entire country forgot about Floyd and turned against the protesters. Congrats, guys. You ruined your movement again.

Martial law. Now.


Try to contain your excitement.


Because everyone knows two wrongs make a right.


That’s a strawman since almost nobody here has claimed riots are ‘right’.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 am

The white people criticizing the protests have no business telling a minority how to feel and react towards constant abuse. They have no idea what it’s like to be in a black man’s shoes and know nothing of the daily struggles the black community faces. I’m half black and have cousins and uncles who’ve suffered from police intimidation, likely due to living in an upscale neighborhood. One was even arrested for simply being “suspect”. The community at large has every right to be furious, because this injustice remains a problem and police are rarely held accountable. Law enforcement doesn’t even rank within the top ten most dangerous jobs, so the wild west mentality is unnecessary and de-escalation tactics should be preferred.

Many of the same people complaining now, also flipped out when Colin Kaepernik peacefully protested. No matter how black people protest, they’ll be criticized and that’s part of the problem. The shut up and obey law enforcement, pro-authoritarian crowd, judges harshly because injustice isn’t happening to them and some are just flat out racists. I certainly didn’t see these people complaining when heavily armed white men descended on capital buildings across the country. They’re also eerily silent when white men massacre entire churches, schools, clubs and events like in Las Vegas.

I’m not condoning violence and hate confrontation. The shooting in Oakland is disgusting and an abuse of the genuine anger and sadness a community feels. However, it’s not the right of the majority to tell abused minorities how they should and shouldn’t respond. Our collective history is full of major, sometimes violent, protests that have led to revolutionary change. Who knows what kind of world we’d live in had our ancestors not stood up to oppressive monarchies and tyrants alike.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 11:46 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
The white people criticizing the protests have no business telling a minority how to feel and react towards constant abuse. They have no idea what it’s like to be in a black man’s shoes and know nothing of the daily struggles the black community faces. I’m half black and have cousins and uncles who’ve suffered from police intimidation, likely due to living in an upscale neighborhood. One was even arrested for simply being “suspect”. The community at large has every right to be furious, because this injustice remains a problem and police are rarely held accountable. Law enforcement doesn’t even rank within the top ten most dangerous jobs, so the wild west mentality is unnecessary and de-escalation tactics should be preferred.

Many of the same people complaining now, also flipped out when Colin Kaepernik peacefully protested. No matter how black people protest, they’ll be criticized and that’s part of the problem. The shut up and obey law enforcement, pro-authoritarian crowd, judges harshly because injustice isn’t happening to them and some are just flat out racists. I certainly didn’t see these people complaining when heavily armed white men descended on capital buildings across the country. They’re also eerily silent when white men massacre entire churches, schools, clubs and events like in Las Vegas.

I’m not condoning violence and hate confrontation. The shooting in Oakland is disgusting and an abuse of the genuine anger and sadness a community feels. However, it’s not the right of the majority to tell abused minorities how they should and shouldn’t respond. Our collective history is full of major, sometimes violent, protests that have led to revolutionary change. Who knows what kind of world we’d live in had our ancestors not stood up to oppressive monarchies and tyrants alike.


I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 11:56 am

N583JB wrote:
I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


The question is who they should defend themselves against:

Apparently in Minneapolis the National Guard is now resorting to shooting civilians on their own property as this video purportedly shows. What where those 2nd amendment rights about again?
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19029
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 11:56 am

ltbewr wrote:
In the UK and elsewhere the governments made sure the common people didn't have guns so not to overthrow governments or in particular who is the King/Queen.


In the UK the vast majority of the population has absolutely no need of guns (and that's not because they were pried from our cold, dead hands by a tyrannical government). We use pencils to overthrow our government every five years and the monarchy has no real power.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 pm

lugie wrote:
N583JB wrote:
I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


The question is who they should defend themselves against:

Apparently in Minneapolis the National Guard is now resorting to shooting civilians on their own property as this video purportedly shows. What where those 2nd amendment rights about again?


They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 12:06 pm

N583JB wrote:

They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.


It's still people on their front porch, being entirely peaceful, injured for no reason whatsoever.

I don't know how that can be defended.


Here's some more fine behavior of the police all over the US in the past days
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY
 
JJJ
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 12:11 pm

N583JB wrote:
lugie wrote:
N583JB wrote:
I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


The question is who they should defend themselves against:

Apparently in Minneapolis the National Guard is now resorting to shooting civilians on their own property as this video purportedly shows. What where those 2nd amendment rights about again?


They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.


How many people have been shot dead by police after they mistook a toy/bb/paintball gun for a real one?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11097
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 12:47 pm

Just a reminder to keep on topic. If you have an issue with a post being deleted, do not discuss it in open forum as its off topic. Please email the moderators at [email protected] to discuss further
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11897
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 pm

N583JB wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
The white people criticizing the protests have no business telling a minority how to feel and react towards constant abuse. They have no idea what it’s like to be in a black man’s shoes and know nothing of the daily struggles the black community faces. I’m half black and have cousins and uncles who’ve suffered from police intimidation, likely due to living in an upscale neighborhood. One was even arrested for simply being “suspect”. The community at large has every right to be furious, because this injustice remains a problem and police are rarely held accountable. Law enforcement doesn’t even rank within the top ten most dangerous jobs, so the wild west mentality is unnecessary and de-escalation tactics should be preferred.

Many of the same people complaining now, also flipped out when Colin Kaepernik peacefully protested. No matter how black people protest, they’ll be criticized and that’s part of the problem. The shut up and obey law enforcement, pro-authoritarian crowd, judges harshly because injustice isn’t happening to them and some are just flat out racists. I certainly didn’t see these people complaining when heavily armed white men descended on capital buildings across the country. They’re also eerily silent when white men massacre entire churches, schools, clubs and events like in Las Vegas.

I’m not condoning violence and hate confrontation. The shooting in Oakland is disgusting and an abuse of the genuine anger and sadness a community feels. However, it’s not the right of the majority to tell abused minorities how they should and shouldn’t respond. Our collective history is full of major, sometimes violent, protests that have led to revolutionary change. Who knows what kind of world we’d live in had our ancestors not stood up to oppressive monarchies and tyrants alike.


I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


Are you going to address the earlier question raised? Only being in favor of martial law and control seems to indicate a lack of nuance and disinterest in healing and recovery. What are your suggestions as to the latter?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:36 pm

lugie wrote:
N583JB wrote:

They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.


It's still people on their front porch, being entirely peaceful, injured for no reason whatsoever.

I don't know how that can be defended.


Here's some more fine behavior of the police all over the US in the past days


When the police tell you to do something during a riot, they generally mean it. They don't have the time or the manpower for nuance. Disperse means disperse. Get inside means get inside.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:36 pm

JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:
lugie wrote:

The question is who they should defend themselves against:

Apparently in Minneapolis the National Guard is now resorting to shooting civilians on their own property as this video purportedly shows. What where those 2nd amendment rights about again?


They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.


How many people have been shot dead by police after they mistook a toy/bb/paintball gun for a real one?


How is that relevant?
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
The white people criticizing the protests have no business telling a minority how to feel and react towards constant abuse. They have no idea what it’s like to be in a black man’s shoes and know nothing of the daily struggles the black community faces. I’m half black and have cousins and uncles who’ve suffered from police intimidation, likely due to living in an upscale neighborhood. One was even arrested for simply being “suspect”. The community at large has every right to be furious, because this injustice remains a problem and police are rarely held accountable. Law enforcement doesn’t even rank within the top ten most dangerous jobs, so the wild west mentality is unnecessary and de-escalation tactics should be preferred.

Many of the same people complaining now, also flipped out when Colin Kaepernik peacefully protested. No matter how black people protest, they’ll be criticized and that’s part of the problem. The shut up and obey law enforcement, pro-authoritarian crowd, judges harshly because injustice isn’t happening to them and some are just flat out racists. I certainly didn’t see these people complaining when heavily armed white men descended on capital buildings across the country. They’re also eerily silent when white men massacre entire churches, schools, clubs and events like in Las Vegas.

I’m not condoning violence and hate confrontation. The shooting in Oakland is disgusting and an abuse of the genuine anger and sadness a community feels. However, it’s not the right of the majority to tell abused minorities how they should and shouldn’t respond. Our collective history is full of major, sometimes violent, protests that have led to revolutionary change. Who knows what kind of world we’d live in had our ancestors not stood up to oppressive monarchies and tyrants alike.


I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


Are you going to address the earlier question raised? Only being in favor of martial law and control seems to indicate a lack of nuance and disinterest in healing and recovery. What are your suggestions as to the latter?


The rioters aren't interested in healing and recovery. They are simply a criminal element that is taking advantage of an opportunity to commit crimes when law enforcement is unlikely. The only healing will come after the riots are crushed.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11897
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:52 pm

N583JB wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is. The rioters have turned a large portion of the country against them. People are not going to be afraid to defend themselves anymore.


Are you going to address the earlier question raised? Only being in favor of martial law and control seems to indicate a lack of nuance and disinterest in healing and recovery. What are your suggestions as to the latter?


The rioters aren't interested in healing and recovery. They are simply a criminal element that is taking advantage of an opportunity to commit crimes when law enforcement is unlikely. The only healing will come after the riots are crushed.


Completely antithetical to basic psychology. Wow...fascinating. I would paraphrase MLK again, but what’s the point?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
JJJ
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 1:58 pm

N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:

They were using paintballs. I hardly call that "shooting" someone.


How many people have been shot dead by police after they mistook a toy/bb/paintball gun for a real one?


How is that relevant?


Just wondering what the reaction would be if those homeowners shot back
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 2:04 pm

I live 20 miles from downtown Minneapolis and have done so for my whole life. I just spent 30 minutes reading every post and reply in this thread trying to see if anyone else picked up on something I did. There were four officers involved in the takedown of Floyd. What I saw was one officer who took charge of the situation (Derek Chavvin) and called all of the shots. I saw three other officers who didn't say a word, including one very confused and obviously upset police officer of Hmong heritage. If those three officers had a problem with Chauvin, why didn't they speak up during the takedown? Or is Chauvin one of those loud-mouth bad cops who is intimidating to officers of lesser fortitude? I see that Chauvin has 18 disciplinary entries on his employment record. I wouldn't be a cocky, intimidating cop if I'd been called out by my bosses 18 times... I'd be a meek churchmouse always trying to get back in their good graces. That is, unless I was a maniac.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
joeblow10
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm

Amazing that everybody taking part in these “protests” seems to ignore the fact that a giant global pandemic is going on in the background of all of this? Give it 4 weeks - the spike in cases will be massive...

No doubt this started because of George Floyd but when you look at the crowds now, I would guess the pandemic and being cooped up for months, combined with unemployment and economic devastation, created the perfect powder keg for this. And ironically, it’s probably only going to make COVID much worse...
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11897
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 2:25 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Amazing that everybody taking part in these “protests” seems to ignore the fact that a giant global pandemic is going on in the background of all of this? Give it 4 weeks - the spike in cases will be massive...

No doubt this started because of George Floyd but when you look at the crowds now, I would guess the pandemic and being cooped up for months, combined with unemployment and economic devastation, created the perfect powder keg for this. And ironically, it’s probably only going to make COVID much worse...


That’s probably a fair analysis, but don’t forget the wild card that other actors are trying to actively trying to destabilize us in myriad ways.

https://twitter.com/barbmcquade/status/ ... 83777?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm

JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:

How many people have been shot dead by police after they mistook a toy/bb/paintball gun for a real one?


How is that relevant?


Just wondering what the reaction would be if those homeowners shot back


They probably would have gotten lit up with real bullets, and justifiably so.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19029
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 3:27 pm

lugie wrote:
Here's some more fine behavior of the police all over the US in the past days


Thugs in uniform. Riding a horse over a woman facing away from the horse. Pepper spraying someone in the face from behind. They're so manly swaggering around with their guns, shields, batons and pepper spray, shoving people to the ground. I'm in awe. Still, they're just taking their cues from the thug in the White House. :sarcastic:

N583JB wrote:
When the police tell you to do something during a riot, they generally mean it. They don't have the time or the manpower for nuance. Disperse means disperse. Get inside means get inside.


Defend the indefensible.

JJJ wrote:
Just wondering what the reaction would be if those homeowners shot back


Full tactical response. Kill everyone in the house, then maybe ask questions.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
JJJ
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm

N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:

How is that relevant?


Just wondering what the reaction would be if those homeowners shot back


They probably would have gotten lit up with real bullets, and justifiably so.


No stand your ground? They're defending their property, who knows if they're even real police officers behind all that gear.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm

Derico wrote:
I'm sure China is having a field day with all this.

They repress protests, but they tell us we can't?
They fudge the numbers, but they tell us we can't?

In the end, all the big countries are acting with total disgrace and their behavior in the last few years makes it clear that none of them are a force for better in the world.


https://twitter.com/huxijin_gt/status/1 ... 69760?s=21

Saw this gold from the chief editor of Global Times, aka the CCP tabloid.

scbriml wrote:
Thugs in uniform. Riding a horse over a woman facing away from the horse. Pepper spraying someone in the face from behind. They're so manly swaggering around with their guns, shields, batons and pepper spray, shoving people to the ground. I'm in awe. Still, they're just taking their cues from the thug in the White House


Sigh...just another day of US policing.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22286
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
aerosreenivas
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 4:43 pm

Watching all these live videos of the protests happening across the US, I have noticed one thing that none of the cops are trying to engage in a conversation with some of the protesters. Instead, they pay no attention and just stand still.

I know they cannot afford to loose their concentration ever so slightly. But never the less, they can respond to some of the questions or the opinions that some of the protesters might want to know from them.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:14 pm

JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Just wondering what the reaction would be if those homeowners shot back


They probably would have gotten lit up with real bullets, and justifiably so.


No stand your ground? They're defending their property, who knows if they're even real police officers behind all that gear.


They weren't defending anything. They were refusing to go inside during a civil emergency. They got a paintball shot at them. Not a big deal.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?


99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22286
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?


99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.


Prove it. Go interview all the protesters. Go interview the white people dressed in black smashing bank windows. Go interview white people dressed in black smashing auto parts windows. Go interview Black community leaders begging and pleading with these White people to stop instigating the violence and looting.

Go on. I'll wait

https://www.newsbreak.com/colorado/denv ... e-violence
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... orge-floyd

EDIT:

Every time the casual or overt racism is pointed out that comes from the Republican party and their leader, we hear silence or "but we are the party of Lincoln!" All we hear is defense of the racist rhetoric from Republicans. Not any actual change. Just "oh, well... whatever.... we love Blacks more than 'liberals' do because reasons". Prove it. It has been pointed out for decades how racist Republicans are and they continue to ignore it and apologize for it. Instead of deflecting and defending, how about actually acting like the party of Lincoln and do something to help minorities instead of "well, if he would have...." Maybe like call out racist officers? Maybe like call out racist party officials?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:36 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?


99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.

Are you sure 99% of the people here believe you?

Majority of the rioters yesterday snapped because of no change in the past years and covid. In their vision they felt as if America does not look there way. Peaceful protests was not working so some of them thought it's better to riot. I would say both sides of the party failed those who don't feel they get their fair shot in this country. Those leaders didn't provide change so the protesters protested
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:38 pm

seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?


99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.


Prove it. Go interview all the protesters. Go interview the white people dressed in black smashing bank windows. Go interview white people dressed in black smashing auto parts windows. Go interview Black community leaders begging and pleading with these White people to stop instigating the violence and looting.

Go on. I'll wait

https://www.newsbreak.com/colorado/denv ... e-violence
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... orge-floyd

EDIT:

Every time the casual or overt racism is pointed out that comes from the Republican party and their leader, we hear silence or "but we are the party of Lincoln!" All we hear is defense of the racist rhetoric from Republicans. Not any actual change. Just "oh, well... whatever.... we love Blacks more than 'liberals' do because reasons". Prove it. It has been pointed out for decades how racist Republicans are and they continue to ignore it and apologize for it. Instead of deflecting and defending, how about actually acting like the party of Lincoln and do something to help minorities instead of "well, if he would have...." Maybe like call out racist officers? Maybe like call out racist party officials?


I was in the middle of riots this week. I saw zero, zero white people rioting. Stop blaming everything on white people. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:39 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Why are people surprised by the protests and riots? For the past 3 1/2 years, we have seen the Republican party led by a racist enabler openly embracing racism. Three Black people killed for no reason at all in a short period. Ahmaud Arbery's murder was covered up for a few months. Breonna Taylor was murdered when police entered the wrong house, and, finally, George Floyd was murdered while three officers in full uniform stood by and did nothing.

People (namely the leader of the Republican party) are more outraged over taking things and breaking stuff than outright murder. And you (general) wonder why people are angry and protesting?


99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.

Are you sure 99% of the people here believe you?

Majority of the rioters yesterday snapped because of no change in the past years and covid. In their vision they felt as if America does not look there way. Peaceful protests was not working so some of them thought it's better to riot. I would say both sides of the party failed those who don't feel they get their fair shot in this country. Those leaders didn't provide change so the protesters protested


Ths should not be a surprise. Civilization does not work to everybody's favor. It is crucial to have rule of law, and that means fair treatment of prisoners by police.

But it will not remove the temptationt for people to riot who have nothing to lose and want to maraud society and burn stuff. This is known as arson and burglary. At any given time, there are thousands of people ready to do that. What dissuades them is a show of force by police. If they are convinced they can be successful committing burglary / arson, they will do it EVERY night.

This has nothing to do with nonviolent and proper civil rights protesting. Zero connection. Sorry.
Last edited by LCDFlight on Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:39 pm

N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:

They probably would have gotten lit up with real bullets, and justifiably so.


No stand your ground? They're defending their property, who knows if they're even real police officers behind all that gear.


They weren't defending anything. They were refusing to go inside during a civil emergency. They got a paintball shot at them. Not a big deal.



The same side that argues that maintaining a social distance, wearing masks and closing pools during a pandemic is "tyrannical" thinks that if the police tell you to go inside (while you're on your own property, on the porch) you should just comply, no questions asked, and being shot at if you don't do so immediately is "not a big deal". Alright.

Bother looking at that video again? It's not like the riot is going down in that street, they're just marching through there to intimidate citizens.

If only there was an Amendment empowering citizens to fight back against state violence :scratchchin: :duck:
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY
 
aerosreenivas
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Sadly, statements like these coming from the White House officials is not going to help stop 'Police Brutality' on 'Afro-American' in the coming days. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/31/poli ... index.html

This would be the 'Music' to all the 'White Police Officers's Hears'.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm

lugie wrote:
N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:

No stand your ground? They're defending their property, who knows if they're even real police officers behind all that gear.


They weren't defending anything. They were refusing to go inside during a civil emergency. They got a paintball shot at them. Not a big deal.



The same side that argues that maintaining a social distance, wearing masks and closing pools during a pandemic is "tyrannical" thinks that if the police tell you to go inside (while you're on your own property, on the porch) you should just comply, no questions asked, and being shot at if you don't do so immediately is "not a big deal". Alright.

Bother looking at that video again? It's not like the riot is going down in that street, they're just marching through there to intimidate citizens.

If only there was an Amendment empowering citizens to fight back against state violence :scratchchin: :duck:


Don't know who you are referring to but I am all for masks and social distancing, as well as lockdowns to prevent the spread of COVID.

The video had zero context. At the end of the day I'm not going to be upset over a paintball being fired in the midst of riots that are killing people and burning down entire city blocks.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15101
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm

This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP
 
Jetty
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 6:12 pm

ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP

He’s right about the racism but having to fear for your live because you’re black is nonfactual nonsense. Black people in the USA kill way more white people than the other way around and black people kill more cops than cops kill unarmed black people. With 1000 deaths at the hands of police every year it’s so easy to cherrypick a few videos to fit your narrative, that doesn’t make it true.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 6:12 pm

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george ... 258533fdd7

And of course, Trump instead of solving a problem, take stupid actions that doesn't do anything or perhaps just increase the divide (and if anything, increase his totalitarianism).

I totally agree with Mayor Keisha Bottoms of Atlanta - perhaps Trump should just not say a word bc every single time he opens his mouth, things get worse.

ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP


And I agree with him. Are violence necessary? No. But people never go back a step and think about why things turn violent to begin with.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Jetty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP

He’s right about the racism but having to fear for your live because you’re black is nonfactual nonsense. Black people in the USA kill way more white people than the other way around and black people kill more cops than cops kill unarmed black people. With 1000 deaths at the hands of police every year it’s so easy to cherrypick a few videos to fit your narrative, that doesn’t make it true.


The fact that there are higher numbers than 1000 doesn't do a lot to assuage anger when that number should be 0. But do let us know what number of deaths is sufficient to constitute an injustice in your eyes.
 
Jetty
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP

He’s right about the racism but having to fear for your live because you’re black is nonfactual nonsense. Black people in the USA kill way more white people than the other way around and black people kill more cops than cops kill unarmed black people. With 1000 deaths at the hands of police every year it’s so easy to cherrypick a few videos to fit your narrative, that doesn’t make it true.


The fact that there are higher numbers than 1000 doesn't do a lot to assuage anger when that number should be 0. But do let us know what number of deaths is sufficient to constitute an injustice in your eyes.

No doubt that US police is often aggressive, unprofessional and that many of those deaths were avoidable. But that is something else than that people should fear for their lives because they are black. Yes, the US has a racism problem. Yes, the US has a police violence problem. But just looking at the facts that doesn’t mean that blacks are killed by police at a disproportionate rate because of racism.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer ... igures.pdf
 
NYCVIE
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 7:50 pm

Jetty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP

He’s right about the racism but having to fear for your live because you’re black is nonfactual nonsense. Black people in the USA kill way more white people than the other way around and black people kill more cops than cops kill unarmed black people. With 1000 deaths at the hands of police every year it’s so easy to cherrypick a few videos to fit your narrative, that doesn’t make it true.


I think it's wild that you would say that. Are you black? Just in the past week we've seen the George Floyd video, but also a video of a birdwatcher who got the cops called on him by a white woman because she was mad that he told her to put her dog on a leash. In her 911 call she fakes hysterics and repeatedly claims an "African American man" is threatening her. I can't think of anything more peaceful than birdwatching lol. Yet if he didn't record that video the situation may have played out differently. Yes the rate of deaths is statistically low but what does that matter, it's not zero? Plus, while not death, many have been arrested or stopped for reasons that just pertain to their race. If you're not black (I am), I don't know how you can say that our very real fear for our lives is nonsense - it might be for you, but clearly it isn't for the people who live everyday as black individuals.

There is a higher chance of an American being killed by an animal than in a terrorist attack. Yet we have very real fears about terrorism and have changed our lives and spent trillions to combat it. Why is that? Is fear of terrorism nonfactual nonsense as well?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:06 pm

Cops with violence issues are in every city in the country. This MSP cop has 18 write-ups in his discipline file. Why was still on the job? Most every one of these police murders, the officer has a record of excessive violence, domestic violence or poor discipline. Why? Because civil service unions will protect without conscience. A city near me has to reinstate a terminated officer several times over excessive force complaints. Then, mayors, beholden to the unions, afraid of being “soft” on crime indulge the unions and the members.

This cop should have been gone from the years ago.
 
cpd
Posts: 6357
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP


Very dry commentary on the situation and hard to disagree with it.

Worse, the leader of the entire country is not calming the situation and is without thinking of the consequences approving any crackdowns China does against its people.

And all sides have got to stop attacking reporters:

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... e37103226e

All sides have got to take a step back.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Cops with violence issues are in every city in the country. This MSP cop has 18 write-ups in his discipline file. Why was still on the job? Most every one of these police murders, the officer has a record of excessive violence, domestic violence or poor discipline. Why? Because civil service unions will protect without conscience. A city near me has to reinstate a terminated officer several times over excessive force complaints. Then, mayors, beholden to the unions, afraid of being “soft” on crime indulge the unions and the members.

This cop should have been gone from the years ago.


That’s very true, there are some bad ones here too. But once they are removed from the force, do they just continue with the same behaviour in some other industry, eg, domestic violence and the like?

On the other hand there are Police here who care very greatly about doing the right thing and care a lot about the people in their community.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13411
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 pm

N583JB wrote:
I guarantee you most of the rioters last night have no clue who Greg Floyd is.


Of course they don't they are just using a bad cop as an excuse to destroy and steal. This isn't about police it's about hating people that are successful because CNN keeps telling them they didn't earn what they have because the system is rigged by rich people. Of course it's easier to steal than to put in a hard weeks work.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
Jetty
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:27 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
Jetty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
This is probably the best commentary on the George Floyd protests. It is by former NBA star and respected author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... id=U507DHP

He’s right about the racism but having to fear for your live because you’re black is nonfactual nonsense. Black people in the USA kill way more white people than the other way around and black people kill more cops than cops kill unarmed black people. With 1000 deaths at the hands of police every year it’s so easy to cherrypick a few videos to fit your narrative, that doesn’t make it true.


I think it's wild that you would say that. Are you black? Just in the past week we've seen the George Floyd video, but also a video of a birdwatcher who got the cops called on him by a white woman because she was mad that he told her to put her dog on a leash. In her 911 call she fakes hysterics and repeatedly claims an "African American man" is threatening her. I can't think of anything more peaceful than birdwatching lol. Yet if he didn't record that video the situation may have played out differently. Yes the rate of deaths is statistically low but what does that matter, it's not zero? Plus, while not death, many have been arrested or stopped for reasons that just pertain to their race. If you're not black (I am), I don't know how you can say that our very real fear for our lives is nonsense - it might be for you, but clearly it isn't for the people who live everyday as black individuals.

There is a higher chance of an American being killed by an animal than in a terrorist attack. Yet we have very real fears about terrorism and have changed our lives and spent trillions to combat it. Why is that? Is fear of terrorism nonfactual nonsense as well?

I’m not judging people who have irrational fears, everyone has them. Being shot by police or dying in a terrorist attack both are. Both because these ways of dying or overexposed in todays media. What I find nonsense is pretending those fears are rational. The author didn’t say people fear for their lives, he said people HAVE TO fear for their lives because they are black, thereby validating and furthering that fear. With 9 unarmed black people having been killed by police last year that’s a lie. I’m not talking about racism in general to be clear, that’s very real and it deserves attention. Police violence deserves attentional as well, but no need to make exaggerated claims to accomplish either.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11252
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 pm

In a great sign of community resilience. Hundreds of volunteers arrived today to help clean up the mess on Fayetteville street in Raleigh.

https://www.wral.com/hundreds-of-volunt ... /19122968/


There is nothing to gain from vandalism, but we all need to reflect on how we got here, rather than concentrate on the destruction. There are bad apples everywhere, and as a community of many different races, religions, cultures, nationalities, abilities, and ages we need to work together to get solutions that work for us all instead of against us all.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
N583JB
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
In a great sign of community resilience. Hundreds of volunteers arrived today to help clean up the mess on Fayetteville street in Raleigh.

https://www.wral.com/hundreds-of-volunt ... /19122968/


There is nothing to gain from vandalism, but we all need to reflect on how we got here, rather than concentrate on the destruction. There are bad apples everywhere, and as a community of many different races, religions, cultures, nationalities, abilities, and ages we need to work together to get solutions that work for us all instead of against us all.


So I guess the "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" saying applies to law enforcement but not protesters?
 
agill
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:49 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm

What the hell is going on in the states now. Shooting at people on their own property
https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1266942896659406848?s=21
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11252
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 pm

N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:
In a great sign of community resilience. Hundreds of volunteers arrived today to help clean up the mess on Fayetteville street in Raleigh.

https://www.wral.com/hundreds-of-volunt ... /19122968/


There is nothing to gain from vandalism, but we all need to reflect on how we got here, rather than concentrate on the destruction. There are bad apples everywhere, and as a community of many different races, religions, cultures, nationalities, abilities, and ages we need to work together to get solutions that work for us all instead of against us all.


So I guess the "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" saying applies to law enforcement but not protesters?


Where did I say that, or are you just looking to start a fight?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
cpd
Posts: 6357
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 9:03 pm

agill wrote:
What the hell is going on in the states now. Shooting at people on their own property
https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1266942896659406848?s=21


That is ridiculous, what if people were looking out of their windows, would they be shot at too?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22286
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Another day another police killing

Sun May 31, 2020 9:40 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

99% of the people rioting don't care about Geoge Floyd. They are just criminals or wannabe criminals who enjoy lashing out. Can't blame this on the Republicans.


Prove it. Go interview all the protesters. Go interview the white people dressed in black smashing bank windows. Go interview white people dressed in black smashing auto parts windows. Go interview Black community leaders begging and pleading with these White people to stop instigating the violence and looting.

Go on. I'll wait

https://www.newsbreak.com/colorado/denv ... e-violence
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... orge-floyd

EDIT:

Every time the casual or overt racism is pointed out that comes from the Republican party and their leader, we hear silence or "but we are the party of Lincoln!" All we hear is defense of the racist rhetoric from Republicans. Not any actual change. Just "oh, well... whatever.... we love Blacks more than 'liberals' do because reasons". Prove it. It has been pointed out for decades how racist Republicans are and they continue to ignore it and apologize for it. Instead of deflecting and defending, how about actually acting like the party of Lincoln and do something to help minorities instead of "well, if he would have...." Maybe like call out racist officers? Maybe like call out racist party officials?


I was in the middle of riots this week. I saw zero, zero white people rioting. Stop blaming everything on white people. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.


Just because you didn't see it does not mean it didn't happen. I have not seen anyone overdose on drugs so that means this country does not have a drug problem. Same line of thinking.

BTW, I feel, as a middle aged white guy, I CAN blame white people when white people are to blame. White people have been looting for centuries. Of course, when white people do it, it is called "displaying antiquities" or "showing history".
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 18

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos