Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml

Re: Another day another police killing

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 pm

JJJ wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:
JJJ wrote:
How can they be a terrorist organisation if they're not organised?

It's not that they don't exist, but they don't exist in the way you portray them. Which is quite inconvenient when you want to make a boogeyman out of them, shady Jewish funding and all.

I don't want to get into semantics about how or if they are organised, but activist networks like that are found in many countries and have existed for decades.

I see them as one of several manifastation of the intolerant political far left that wan't to silence opposing views with the use of intimidation and violence.

Al-Queda is more or less organized the same way, as a movement rather than an organazation.

We haven't had any issue ID'ing key members of AQ and arresting or droning them. We've following AQ money trails time and again (and jailed funders all over the world).

Doing the same for Antifa shouldn't be an issue then. Especially if Hungarian billionaires are pouring an endless supply of cash, bussing cells wherever they're needed and so on.

It's easy - just follow the buses they came into town in. Everyone knows about these buses, just follow them. Easy, eh?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

casinterest

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:50 pm

scbriml wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

I don't want to get into semantics about how or if they are organised, but activist networks like that are found in many countries and have existed for decades.

I see them as one of several manifastation of the intolerant political far left that wan't to silence opposing views with the use of intimidation and violence.

Al-Queda is more or less organized the same way, as a movement rather than an organazation.

We haven't had any issue ID'ing key members of AQ and arresting or droning them. We've following AQ money trails time and again (and jailed funders all over the world).

Doing the same for Antifa shouldn't be an issue then. Especially if Hungarian billionaires are pouring an endless supply of cash, bussing cells wherever they're needed and so on.

It's easy - just follow the buses they came into town in. Everyone knows about these buses, just follow them. Easy, eh?

I can't wait to see this Giant Money trail that have traced to Soros. They even probably have meetings in Greyhound terminals.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Dahlgardo

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:56 pm

lugie wrote:
Al-Quaeda is a terrorist organization with a very clearly defined universal goal and more importantly, a hierarchical structure that has "leaders" and "spokespeople" coordinating actions and acting as mouthpieces.

Just like, you know, an actual organization.

If Antifa was the same then please tell me, who is their counterpart to Al-Qaeda's Osama bin Laden (or Al-Sarqawi), or the counterpart to ISIS's Al-Baghdadi, etc.?

I never said they were exactly the same, but today I regard al-Queda more a movement or an ideology rather than an organization.

lugie wrote:
Or just maybe they lack anything resembling such a structure and are therefore not an organization, meaning that declaring "Antifa" a terrorist organization would just amount to an arbitrarily enforceable ban on various leftist causes.

Something that, I don't know, a fascist would do ... :scratchchin:
after all Anti-Anti-Fascism is just a longer way of saying pro-Fascism.

If you don't think these violent activist left-wing movements exist, be my guest.
But anyone, left or right, promoting their political views with the use of intimidation and violence should be regarded as terrorists.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

extender

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
But anyone, left or right, promoting their political views with the use of intimidation and violence should be regarded as terrorists.

Text book definition.

Here is what Merriam Webster has: "1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion. 2 : violent and intimidating gang activity street terrorism."

casinterest

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:06 pm

extender wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

Text book definition.

Here is what Merriam Webster has: "1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion. 2 : violent and intimidating gang activity street terrorism."

So Trump is a terrorist.

extender

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Leave it to you. Sit back and wait for the peanut gallery to defend your arguments.

casinterest

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:33 pm

extender wrote:
Leave it to you. Sit back and wait for the peanut gallery to defend your arguments.

Thee unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion.

Look at last week, Trump's tweets.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-minn ... d-twitter/
when the looting starts, the shooting starts."

Thee unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion.

lugie

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
I never said they were exactly the same, but today I regard al-Queda more a movement or an ideology rather than an organization.

You're obviously entitled to that opinion, and the borders here are swampy but generally Al-Qaeda is very much so considered an organization. In fact it's one of the bigger non-state violent actors in the world and has spawned various subgroups in the different countries it operates in.

Dahlgardo wrote:
If you don't think these violent activist left-wing movements exist, be my guest.

Violent leftist activist causes exist, no denying that.
There have been numerous leftist terrorist organizations in history, from FARC and Shining Path in Colombia and Peru to the RAF and Red Brigades in Germany and Italy, respectively.

Accordingly, organized leftist terrorism has taken place (and possibly continues to take place) in the US albeit on a much, much smaller scale than right-wing, white supremacist terrorism (!!!).

However, my point stands that outlawing any and all "Antifa" movements is not the remedy for that and instead a blatant (and very partisan) violation of civil rights, as Antifa as such is not an exclusively violence-supporting organization and, in fact, no structured organization at all.

Declaring such a broad-termed movement "terrorists" is a blank check for the current administration (and not unlikely, future ones too) to suppress any and all leftist causes of their choosing.

Do you consider the anti-lockdown protestors who stormed the Michigan state capitol "terrorists". Because they absolutely promoted their political views with the use of intimidation, and in doing so were supported by the president.
Last edited by lugie on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Tugger

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:37 pm

It is interesting to see the TDS suffering Right here attempting to build a boogeyman to use for the coming election and news cycle: "ANTFA!"

Now that fool Trump is trying to push a conspiracy theory:
President Trump shared an unfounded and incendiary claim Tuesday morning, tweeting that the 75-year-old man pushed to the ground by Buffalo police officers last week "fell harder than was pushed" and "could be an ANTIFA provocateur" who was part of a "set up."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... -agitator/

And Trump continues to be a poor president. (Seriously what kind of maroon[sic] is he to push this, retweet drivel?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

JJJ

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:53 pm

extender wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

Text book definition.

But of course those guys occupying public buildings with plenty of firearms on sight weren't threatening anyone.

Got that.

seb146

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:

Such as Proud Boys or Boogaloo, I suppose? But because they carry around all those guns and set up social networking to communicate and give helpful hints and tips on how to deal with "left wing antfa" to silence them, they are peaceful, right?

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemi ... sed-614596
https://www.adl.org/news/press-releases ... cial-media

Dahlgardo wrote:
[/quote]

How? How is the "intolerant political far left" silencing opposition? By carrying signs and marching in the streets and singing and chanting? That'll show 'em!

We had a peaceful George Floyd/demilitarize the police rally here in my little small town in an heavily MAGA part of Oregon. A "peaceful and tolerant" MAGA stopped and pulled his gun on protesters who were standing on the sidewalk holding signs.

https://theworldlink.com/news/local/gun ... ium=social

Another "peaceful and tolerant" MAGA drove his car into a group of protesters in Seattle

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... monstrator

As well as memes being shared around social media by "peaceful and tolerant" MAGA suggesting that it is acceptable to drive into protesters.

But I am more curious as to how the "intolerant political far left" is silencing opposition? Please give examples.

Demilitarize the police
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Veigar

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:32 pm

GDB wrote:
Veigar wrote:
seb146 wrote:

But there is. Police on Black violence is a thing. How is that something we can not or should not talk about along with violence between people?

Maybe we should talk about violence not being the first step for anyone? "I don't like what he is wearing so I am going to kick his ass!" or "I don't like his bumper sticker so I am going to wave my gun at him!" or "I don't like how close he got to my woman so I am going to punch him!" and so on and so forth.

Maybe we need mental health so we can deal with our individual rage issues. And, at the same time, we can stop buying military weapons for the police. These are not one issue. They are many issues we need to deal with all at once. It is hard to do but we need to do this.

Those police brutality issues are few and far between. I do agree that it should be spoken about and law enforcement be held to higher standards, of course.

But I will give you my stance BLM does not care about black people, and there is no systemic racism, and most of the issues in black communities are due to self insecurities and victim carding. White man this white man that. I do not have any form of privilege because I am white (I remember being shot multiple times by BB guns going to my friend's house, because I was the only white person on that apartment complex)... .yet despite that most of my closest friends are black.

The advent of camera phones over the past decade or so has rather given the lie to the 'few and far between' argument.
Since this case has created such uproar since it is just the latest of many, caught on camera, plus others not but so indicative of at least very poor training and often, face it, outright racism.
And the officers mostly walk. Often back on the streets.

Before this one, the last unjustified shooting was by an ex cop. The redneck father and son on that jogger.
There are numerous examples and you can find them on platforms such as You Tube, of outright brutality, should you choose to look.
Not all racist granted, like the naked man, clearly having a severe mental episode, no weapon (and nowhere to hide it), gunned down for no reason when the large number of cops facing him opened up. Like an ill trained militia, which they sort of were.
The homeless man outside ABQ, dazed looking, shot down by volleys of gunfire, rifles, shotguns, the lot.

Maybe in some states PD's the training time for someone working in a nail bar really should not be longer than for a cop joining them.
Might be an idea to do proper background checks too, since it's been years since warnings that far right hate groups were trying to get members with no priors (admittedly not easy for them), to join police forces, were flagged up.

Do you think a way to potentially solve all unjust forms of police brutality (regardless of colors of skin), would be to install body cameras on all police officers?

seb146

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:40 am

Veigar wrote:
GDB wrote:
Veigar wrote:

Those police brutality issues are few and far between. I do agree that it should be spoken about and law enforcement be held to higher standards, of course.

But I will give you my stance BLM does not care about black people, and there is no systemic racism, and most of the issues in black communities are due to self insecurities and victim carding. White man this white man that. I do not have any form of privilege because I am white (I remember being shot multiple times by BB guns going to my friend's house, because I was the only white person on that apartment complex)... .yet despite that most of my closest friends are black.

The advent of camera phones over the past decade or so has rather given the lie to the 'few and far between' argument.
Since this case has created such uproar since it is just the latest of many, caught on camera, plus others not but so indicative of at least very poor training and often, face it, outright racism.

Before this one, the last unjustified shooting was by an ex cop. The redneck father and son on that jogger.
There are numerous examples and you can find them on platforms such as You Tube, of outright brutality, should you choose to look.
Not all racist granted, like the naked man, clearly having a severe mental episode, no weapon (and nowhere to hide it), gunned down for no reason when the large number of cops facing him opened up. Like an ill trained militia, which they sort of were.
The homeless man outside ABQ, dazed looking, shot down by volleys of gunfire, rifles, shotguns, the lot.

Maybe in some states PD's the training time for someone working in a nail bar really should not be longer than for a cop joining them.
Might be an idea to do proper background checks too, since it's been years since warnings that far right hate groups were trying to get members with no priors (admittedly not easy for them), to join police forces, were flagged up.

Do you think a way to potentially solve all unjust forms of police brutality (regardless of colors of skin), would be to install body cameras on all police officers?

That does not work. Officers have been shutting them off or taping over the cameras. Especially now. We The People must hold them accountable with our freedoms. Although some jurisdictions say that is illegal to record police. Tucson is reviewing and may change those rules.

https://tucson.com/news/local/amid-back ... c80ad.html

casinterest

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm

A good Article by Von Miller.

https://time.com/5850076/von-miller-geo ... -protests/
Many of us have seen this day coming, but let’s not get it twisted. The social upheaval we are witnessing is not about one horrific incident in Minneapolis. This has been building up for years, decades, generations. We can either confront it for what it is and make it an inflection point in the arc of our nation’s history, or we can become complicit in the perpetuation of our disease because we refuse to admit we are ill

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:58 pm

seb146 wrote:
Veigar wrote:
GDB wrote:

That does not work. Officers have been shutting them off or taping over the cameras. Especially now. We The People must hold them accountable with our freedoms. Although some jurisdictions say that is illegal to record police. Tucson is reviewing and may change those rules.

Like Bill Maher says, police unions and their attorneys' excuse always been "video doesn't tell entire story". If there is only one video they will slither out, but with so many cell phone videos from different angles that excuse running out of steam. They were even quoting wiretapping laws to discourage people from taping them. Body cams are just additional burden on taxpayers.
All posts are just opinions.

cpd

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:26 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Veigar wrote:

Like Bill Maher says, police unions and their attorneys' excuse always been "video doesn't tell entire story". If there is only one video they will slither out, but with so many cell phone videos from different angles that excuse running out of steam. They were even quoting wiretapping laws to discourage people from taping them. Body cams are just additional burden on taxpayers.

If video doesn’t tell the whole story, the Police video footage they try to use as their own evidence surely also doesn’t tell the whole story.

Cameras are great, they are a great way of cleaning up the actions of those doing wrong. When they become aware they are in camera and could get in trouble, they change their behaviour pretty quickly.

Now that so many people have phone cameras nobody can use the old excuse. I have no time for public officials not doing their job properly or doing it in a less than ethical way.

Dieuwer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Another issue is the imagine many police forces convey to prospective applicants. If they appear like a Rambo club, they probably attract Rambo. And if they refuse to do a thorough psychological evaluation of candidates, they might end up hiring sadistic cops.

speedking

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:08 am

Racism runs rampant in the United States. White supremacist sadistic cops slaughter the unarmed blacks on the streets. This must end:

https://www.newsweek.com/ghana-accra-ba ... ra-1509845

Make the American mega corporations, Amazon, Apple etc, the modern cotton field concentration camp owners pay for the oppressed people's return home to safety and prosperity!

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:51 am

cpd wrote:
If video doesn’t tell the whole story, the Police video footage they try to use as their own evidence surely also doesn’t tell the whole story.

Cameras are great, they are a great way of cleaning up the actions of those doing wrong. When they become aware they are in camera and could get in trouble, they change their behaviour pretty quickly.

Now that so many people have phone cameras nobody can use the old excuse. I have no time for public officials not doing their job properly or doing it in a less than ethical way.

But that is the problem: many cops turn off their cameras or take off their cameras or tape over the camera. Then, when someone files suit against them, they say "oops.... no footage. Cop goes free!" and they go on to commit more crimes but no evidence so the keep doing it.

The cop who murdered George Floyd had 17 complaints filed against him by citizens. Seventeen. Body cams didn't stop him. Private citizens filming him did.

alfa164

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:01 am

Veigar wrote:

That is a good start, but it should be accompanied by legislation that makes it a crime for an officer to turn off, disable, or block the camera during any interaction with the public. Since very few police operations involve only one LEO, having multiple views of an incident would contribute greatly to our understanding of what happened.

casinterest wrote:
A good Article by Von Miller. https://time.com/5850076/von-miller-geo ... -protests/
Many of us have seen this day coming, but let’s not get it twisted. The social upheaval we are witnessing is not about one horrific incident in Minneapolis. This has been building up for years, decades, generations. We can either confront it for what it is and make it an inflection point in the arc of our nation’s history, or we can become complicit in the perpetuation of our disease because we refuse to admit we are ill

:checkmark: That is good. I also like John Oliver's take on the issue; after getting past the humor, the facts he gives - and he is good at that - are compelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ltbewr

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:34 am

The protests as to police and racism in the USA are past peak, but some remaining ones are turning ugly and very counterproductive. Numerous monuments and statutes of Confederate leaders as well as of Christopher Columbus being vandalized, torn down and destroyed by mobs who won't wait for governments to take action to remove. There is the takeover of several blocks of Seattle by 'radicals', declaring a 'cop free zone'.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartandhp
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jeffe ... spartandhp

Along with the property damage and theft 'riots' of some protests over the last 2 weeks, it is causing a very negative reaction by President Trump as well as badly hurting and not helping the otherwise legit cause against racism. Like what happened with Vietnam War era anti-war protests and racial 'riots', there will be violent conflicts with police and National Guard. and a hardening, even more than ever of a great political divide in the USA. I expect armed White right wing groups becoming very militant and violent on Persons of Color. There will be huge demands for Police and political leaders to end the anarchy, maybe a few right wing radials damaging statues of Martin Luther King or other Black persons. it could badly hurt Democratic Party candidates this fall and help Republicans win including Trump getting another term.

President Trump is supposed to give a speech Thursday night. I suspect he will demand for an end of the protests and 'law and order' be enforced, express 1000% support for police. He is likely to get many millions in campaign fund contributions from his supporters. Oh, and this is while we have the greatest public health crises in 100 years, with the number of infections growing quickly in many states, a near depression economic status, high levels of unemployment, China, Russia and other countries taking advantage of the situation for their own gains. This is truly becoming one of the worst years in the USA since 1861 with the start of the Civil War..

casinterest

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 am

ltbewr wrote:
The protests as to police and racism in the USA are past peak, but some remaining ones are turning ugly and very counterproductive. Numerous monuments and statutes of Confederate leaders as well as of Christopher Columbus being vandalized, torn down and destroyed by mobs who won't wait for governments to take action to remove. There is the takeover of several blocks of Seattle by 'radicals', declaring a 'cop free zone'.

Along with the property damage and theft 'riots' of some protests over the last 2 weeks, it is causing a very negative reaction by President Trump as well as badly hurting and not helping the otherwise legit cause against racism. Like what happened with Vietnam War era anti-war protests and racial 'riots', there will be violent conflicts with police and National Guard. and a hardening, even more than ever of a great political divide in the USA. I expect armed White right wing groups becoming very militant and violent on Persons of Color. There will be huge demands for Police and political leaders to end the anarchy, maybe a few right wing radials damaging statues of Martin Luther King or other Black persons. it could badly hurt Democratic Party candidates this fall and help Republicans win including Trump getting another term.

President Trump is supposed to give a speech Thursday night. I suspect he will demand for an end of the protests and 'law and order' be enforced, express 1000% support for police. He is likely to get many millions in campaign fund contributions from his supporters. Oh, and this is while we have the greatest public health crises in 100 years, with the number of infections growing quickly in many states, a near depression economic status, high levels of unemployment, China, Russia and other countries taking advantage of the situation for their own gains. This is truly becoming one of the worst years in the USA since 1861 with the start of the Civil War..

People are going to miss statues of confederates and Columbus about as much as people all over the world miss statues of dishonorable and abusive leaders of the past. Not very much.

Donald Trump has turned into Don Quixote and his is constantly tilting at windmills of non issues while missing the important ones.

Covid-19
Election Problems in Georgia
Shoring up the economy as Covid-19 continues unchecked
Federal interference in local issues
Trump's own rampant racism and misinformation that helped facilitate the riots.

By the way, the radicals in Seattle?
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ut-police/

The movement — loose, egalitarian and scattered for now — seemed to hearken to previous moments of social change.

A speaker Tuesday afternoon mentioned the Occupy movement; a handful of people raised hands to acknowledge they’d been part of that effort. The speaker warned of lost momentum and infighting.

speedking

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:07 am

casinterest wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

People are going to miss statues of confederates and Columbus about as much as people all over the world miss statues of dishonorable and abusive leaders of the past. Not very much.

Donald Trump has turned into Don Quixote and his is constantly tilting at windmills of non issues while missing the important ones.

Covid-19

The movement — loose, egalitarian and scattered for now — seemed to hearken to previous moments of social change.

A speaker Tuesday afternoon mentioned the Occupy movement; a handful of people raised hands to acknowledge they’d been part of that effort. The speaker warned of lost momentum and infighting.

Three days and everything is already failed with the CHAZ in Seattle!
- Wasn't Christopher Columbus wrong? Why they settled in those six blocks and claim it's theirs?
- Why they erected walls around it? Wasn't it supposed to be open borders?
- No guns! Why they have armed guards for their protection?
- Police are pigs and they created their own police force!
- Stop and frisk is racist. Why they stop and frisk people for weapons?
- Why they appoint a Warlord? Isn't it Fascism?!
Why the people in Seattle are destroying the movement?

casinterest

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:16 am

speedking wrote:
casinterest wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Covid-19

Three days and everything is already failed with the CHAZ in Seattle!
- Wasn't Christopher Columbus wrong? Why they settled in those six blocks and claim it's theirs?
- Why they erected walls around it? Wasn't it supposed to be open borders?
- No guns! Why they have armed guards for their protection?
- Police are pigs and they created their own police force!
- Stop and frisk is racist. Why they stop and frisk people for weapons?
- Why they appoint a Warlord? Isn't it Fascism?!
Why the people in Seattle are destroying the movement?

What are you rambling about? The cooler smarter heads in Seattle are just waiting until everyone grows tired and goes home. I would imagine by Monday the police will be back in the precinct.

N583JB

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am

speedking wrote:
Racism runs rampant in the United States. White supremacist sadistic cops slaughter the unarmed blacks on the streets. This must end:

https://www.newsweek.com/ghana-accra-ba ... ra-1509845

Make the American mega corporations, Amazon, Apple etc, the modern cotton field concentration camp owners pay for the oppressed people's return home to safety and prosperity!

Hyperbole much?

N583JB

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:51 am

seb146 wrote:
cpd wrote:

But that is the problem: many cops turn off their cameras or take off their cameras or tape over the camera. Then, when someone files suit against them, they say "oops.... no footage. Cop goes free!" and they go on to commit more crimes but no evidence so the keep doing it.

The cop who murdered George Floyd had 17 complaints filed against him by citizens. Seventeen. Body cams didn't stop him. Private citizens filming him did.

It is interesting that the push is now against body cameras, given that body cameras have saved cops from allegations of misconduct repeatedly in recent years. The BS stories that people push against cops are very easily shut down with body camera footage. Maybe that is why the activists no longer want body cameras....they can make more mythical Mike Browns when there is no video evidence to show what actually happened.

seb146

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:12 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
cpd wrote:

It is interesting that the push is now against body cameras, given that body cameras have saved cops from allegations of misconduct repeatedly in recent years. The BS stories that people push against cops are very easily shut down with body camera footage. Maybe that is why the activists no longer want body cameras....they can make more mythical Mike Browns when there is no video evidence to show what actually happened.

There is no push against body cameras. The push is to hold cops accountable. The whole reason behind body cameras was to keep police in line. So a George Floyd would not happen. But, again, when they turn off their cameras or tape over them or do not wear them at all, that is what people are talking about.

Tugger

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm

seb146 wrote:
There is no push against body cameras. The push is to hold cops accountable. The whole reason behind body cameras was to keep police in line.

I'll take exception to that... The whole reason for body cams is to document the factual details of a situation and therefore be able to hold people properly accountable.

This is not not an "anti-cop" thing. Body cameras support the best thing we can all hope for and want: FACTS.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:05 pm

Any reason why the police cannot use tranquilizer darts instead of bullets or choke holds?

N583JB

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Any reason why the police cannot use tranquilizer darts instead of bullets or choke holds?

Tranquilizers take some time to set in and darts are highly inaccurate and come with their own set of dangers. If someone is an imminent threat, a tranquilizer dart is useless. There is a reason they are used for wildlife and not for humans.

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 pm

N583JB wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Tranquilizers take some time to set in and darts are highly inaccurate and come with their own set of dangers. If someone is an imminent threat, a tranquilizer dart is useless. There is a reason they are used for wildlife and not for humans.

Then develop a dart that acts within a second.

N583JB

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Then develop a dart that acts within a second.

They have. It is a lead dart that moves at a very rapid rate.

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 am

Police are never going to stop killing people in the US. They're armed with a gun and trained to use it...and not as a last resort. US is a racist country, so that results in Black people being poorer, more likely to encounter police, and more likely to have a bad outcome because of it...even if they're an ivy league graduate/law/medical student. Furthermore, the policing profession attracts people who are mentally ill with anger problems, boundary problems, and control problems. It's never going to end without a fundamental shift in all degrees of policing in this country.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

slider

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There is no push against body cameras. The push is to hold cops accountable. The whole reason behind body cameras was to keep police in line. So a George Floyd would not happen. But, again, when they turn off their cameras or tape over them or do not wear them at all, that is what people are talking about.

Do you have hard stats on the number of incidents in which body cams were rendered unusable by the wearer?

slider

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Police are never going to stop killing people in the US. They're armed with a gun and trained to use it...and not as a last resort. US is a racist country, so that results in Black people being poorer, more likely to encounter police, and more likely to have a bad outcome because of it...even if they're an ivy league graduate/law/medical student. Furthermore, the policing profession attracts people who are mentally ill with anger problems, boundary problems, and control problems. It's never going to end without a fundamental shift in all degrees of policing in this country.

The fundamental shift starts by not making an inflammatory completely asinine statement by saying the US is a racist country.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Or drones dropping a net on suspects and air lifting them to the nearest police station.

Well-trained K9s with Kevlar suits is also a good option.

I think traffic stops should be made no contact. An extension boom equipped with camera/robotic arm to validate ID, inspect the vehicle without cop leaving their car would be a good start
All posts are just opinions.

Veigar

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Pellegrine wrote:

Show me proof that black people are poorer on average not because of their own actions. I know plenty of successful blacks.

Or is this bait?

seb146

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:47 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Do you have hard stats on the number of incidents in which body cams were rendered unusable by the wearer?

Of course no one keeps track of that because "it wasn't my fault" or "I didn't know it was off" or some such excuse. Besides, some cameras simply do not work. However

https://www.thedailybeast.com/baltimore ... ding-drugs
https://www.nbcmiami.com/investigations ... t/2193518/
https://apnews.com/950fb082fd644071a380015242ad78fe
https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-techn ... dy-cameras

The chief of police in Seattle is now requiring police there to turn on body cameras during protests

https://q13fox.com/2020/06/10/chief-ord ... -protests/

So, it happens but there are no official studies. And why would the police want us to see the number of times they turned off their cameras just before "he pulled a gun" or just before "we found drugs" or just before "he was resisting" or whatever the case may be.

kalvado

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Of course no one keeps track of that because "it wasn't my fault" or "I didn't know it was off" or some such excuse. Besides, some cameras simply do not work. However

https://www.thedailybeast.com/baltimore ... ding-drugs
https://www.nbcmiami.com/investigations ... t/2193518/
https://apnews.com/950fb082fd644071a380015242ad78fe
https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-techn ... dy-cameras

The chief of police in Seattle is now requiring police there to turn on body cameras during protests

https://q13fox.com/2020/06/10/chief-ord ... -protests/

So, it happens but there are no official studies. And why would the police want us to see the number of times they turned off their cameras just before "he pulled a gun" or just before "we found drugs" or just before "he was resisting" or whatever the case may be.

Lets hope things get sorted out. I heard - more than once - that body cameras actually often help officers as they allow to resolve allegations which would otherwise be "he said - she said". So there are some advantages for police in having those cameras as well
There is no silver bullet, there will be a search for the balance between anarchy and totalitarian enforcement. Going away from "officer always tells the truth" to "... if body camera and other evidence may be used to verify" may help in keeping cameras operational.

JJJ

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Veigar wrote:

Show me proof that black people are poorer on average not because of their own actions. I know plenty of successful blacks.

Or is this bait?

It probably is.

Still the US lags in social mobility compared to other developed nations (and specially within those with highest income) so there's a point that if you start poor you have more of a chance to remain poor.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/Global_Soc ... Report.pdf

That's regardless of race.

BravoOne

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 pm

JJJ wrote:
Veigar wrote:

Or is this bait?

It probably is.

Still the US lags in social mobility compared to other developed nations (and specially within those with highest income) so there's a point that if you start poor you have more of a chance to remain poor.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/Global_Soc ... Report.pdf

That's regardless of race.

Your right. If you are born poor without a family structure the odds are against you. Fatherless children which make up a significant part of the current black population (70+%) causes a disportionment of crime within the black community. They need to acknowledge and work on this problem.

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:07 am

Veigar wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Or is this bait?

As if you knowing successful Blacks changes the average of household wealth of different races.

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:18 am

slider wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

The fundamental shift starts by not making an inflammatory completely asinine statement by saying the US is a racist country.

It is a racist country. A lot of Western Democracies are racist countries, they just offer opportunities and standards of living that attracts non-white people. Black people (decedents of slaves who have no choice but to be here) can do well in the US...that's the exception not the rule, but overall it is a racist country on many metrics (income, housing, education attained, quality of PreK-12 education, assets owned, etc. People like you aren't really worth talking to about this issue because you won't look at facts, disparities, learning about your own white fragility/centering, and do the work to change things right around you for the benefit of others.

For whomever needs to know: racists don't wear KKK hoods anymore. They're in your police department, your city council, your medical system, your education system, your mayor's and governor's office, and your Congress.

Dahlgardo

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 am

Pellegrine wrote:
It is a racist country. A lot of Western Democracies are racist countries, they just offer opportunities and standards of living that attracts non-white people. Black people (decedents of slaves who have no choice but to be here) can do well in the US...that's the exception not the rule, but overall it is a racist country on many metrics (income, housing, education attained, quality of PreK-12 education, assets owned, etc. People like you aren't really worth talking to about this issue because you won't look at facts, disparities, learning about your own white fragility/centering, and do the work to change things right around you for the benefit of others.

For whomever needs to know: racists don't wear KKK hoods anymore. They're in your police department, your city council, your medical system, your education system, your mayor's and governor's office, and your Congress.

Blatant statements like that are extremely unhelpful.
Strong statements require strong proof, so please provide evidence for such claim.

Nobody argues there are no disparities in the US between ethnic groups, but plenty of data provide a much different story than yours.

You can start with the fact, that 3/4 of black children are raised without a father present, with all that negative consequences that has.
This an absolute horrible fact.

And just to educate yourself, or perhaps just to hear a different view, watch this clip with Shelby Steele.
The man knows what he talks about.
https://youtu.be/mMpQBWH-RwA?t=1540

seahawk

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 am

Pellegrine wrote:
slider wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Wrong, the racists are you. Any Western Democracy made and still makes it´s standard of living by exploiting countries that are predominately not white. The whole Western way of life is racist. It is not as if Slavery ended because people in the West thought it would be bad, but because the beginning of the industrial revolution changed the economy and the importance of the labour intensive agricultural economic sector. In the industry the local population was enough to fill the needs and the margins were so big that it allowed the industries to pay (meagre) wages to the workers, especially as they now needed a certain level of skill.
And even today we make money by buying resources that are produced cheaply in non-white countries and then selling the products.

JJJ

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:

You can start with the fact, that 3/4 of black children are raised without a father present, with all that negative consequences that has.

Nope. 3/4 of black children are born out of wedlock, which means a very different thing from "raised without a father present".

If you want to throw facts it's better to doublecheck they are what you mean.

Dahlgardo

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:28 pm

JJJ wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

Nope. 3/4 of black children are born out of wedlock, which means a very different thing from "raised without a father present".

According to these number, single parent families account for appx 65-67% for blacks.
That is still an alarming number, and is not that different from the 75% born out of wedlock.
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

The breakdown of the family is a big tragedy for children.

Notably, the ethnic group with the highest share of 2 parent families, the asian community, is the most prosperous in the US.

JJJ

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

According to these number, single parent families account for appx 65-67% for blacks.
That is still an alarming number, and is not that different from the 75% born out of wedlock.
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

The breakdown of the family is a big tragedy for children.

Notably, the ethnic group with the highest share of 2 parent families, the asian community, is the most prosperous in the US.

Again, you're putting the wrong definition. From your link:

Definitions: Children under age 18 who live with their own single parent either in a family or subfamily.

In this definition, single-parent families may include cohabiting couples and do not include children living with married stepparents.

casinterest

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Felony Murder Charge for the police officer who killed Rayshard Brooks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/raysh ... index.html

N583JB

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
Felony Murder Charge for the police officer who killed Rayshard Brooks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/raysh ... index.html

I watched the press conference. It was a complete joke. That officer is going to become filthy rich at Atlanta's expense once he is acquitted. Any halfway competent defense attorney should be drooling at this case.