Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: Another day another police killing

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm

N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Felony Murder Charge for the police officer who killed Rayshard Brooks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/raysh ... index.html

I watched the press conference. It was a complete joke. That officer is going to become filthy rich at Atlanta's expense once he is acquitted. Any halfway competent defense attorney should be drooling at this case.

Not really. He shot a fleeing man that he already frisked in the back. The stun gun was fired, there wasn't going to be another shot. He was also fired for cause.
Where ever you go, there you are.

N583JB

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I watched the press conference. It was a complete joke. That officer is going to become filthy rich at Atlanta's expense once he is acquitted. Any halfway competent defense attorney should be drooling at this case.

Not really. He shot a fleeing man that he already frisked in the back. The stun gun was fired, there wasn't going to be another shot. He was also fired for cause.

He shot a man that attacked him, stole his tazer from him, and had the tazer pointed directly at him when he fired. The DA's evidence he presented was very weak- "Brooks was nice until he wasn't" and "the officer said 'I got him' after he fired." Zero chance this officer is convicted of any crime.

Jetty

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
slider wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
Police are never going to stop killing people in the US. They're armed with a gun and trained to use it...and not as a last resort. US is a racist country, so that results in Black people being poorer, more likely to encounter police, and more likely to have a bad outcome because of it...even if they're an ivy league graduate/law/medical student. Furthermore, the policing profession attracts people who are mentally ill with anger problems, boundary problems, and control problems. It's never going to end without a fundamental shift in all degrees of policing in this country.

The fundamental shift starts by not making an inflammatory completely asinine statement by saying the US is a racist country.

It is a racist country. A lot of Western Democracies are racist countries, they just offer opportunities and standards of living that attracts non-white people. Black people (decedents of slaves who have no choice but to be here) can do well in the US...that's the exception not the rule, but overall it is a racist country on many metrics (income, housing, education attained, quality of PreK-12 education, assets owned, etc. People like you aren't really worth talking to about this issue because you won't look at facts, disparities, learning about your own white fragility/centering, and do the work to change things right around you for the benefit of others.

No need to single out Western Democracies or the history of African people in the USA: African people are the demographic with the worst outcome in all non-African countries regardless if they were decedents of slaves or decedents of African slave-traders.

kalvado

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

except someone trained for the taser commented it was a 2x - two cartridge system, and light was on indicating ready to fire second round
I cannot confirm that myself, but sounds as a distinct possibility.
https://www.axon.com/products/taser-x2

casinterest

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 pm

kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:

except someone trained for the taser commented it was a 2x - two cartridge system, and light was on indicating ready to fire second round

It's a taser, the guy was running away, and the cop had backup. Just stop chasing.
They already had his video, his ID, and his car.

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
It is a racist country. A lot of Western Democracies are racist countries, they just offer opportunities and standards of living that attracts non-white people. Black people (decedents of slaves who have no choice but to be here) can do well in the US...that's the exception not the rule, but overall it is a racist country on many metrics (income, housing, education attained, quality of PreK-12 education, assets owned, etc. People like you aren't really worth talking to about this issue because you won't look at facts, disparities, learning about your own white fragility/centering, and do the work to change things right around you for the benefit of others.

For whomever needs to know: racists don't wear KKK hoods anymore. They're in your police department, your city council, your medical system, your education system, your mayor's and governor's office, and your Congress.

Blatant statements like that are extremely unhelpful.
Strong statements require strong proof, so please provide evidence for such claim.

Nobody argues there are no disparities in the US between ethnic groups, but plenty of data provide a much different story than yours.

You can start with the fact, that 3/4 of black children are raised without a father present, with all that negative consequences that has.
This an absolute horrible fact.

And just to educate yourself, or perhaps just to hear a different view, watch this clip with Shelby Steele.
The man knows what he talks about.
https://youtu.be/mMpQBWH-RwA?t=1540

I said what I said.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:

You can start with the fact, that 3/4 of black children are raised without a father present, with all that negative consequences that has.
This an absolute horrible fact.

Nope. 3/4 of black children are born out of wedlock, which means a very different thing from "raised without a father present".

If you want to throw facts it's better to doublecheck they are what you mean.

According to these number, single parent families account for appx 65-67% for blacks.
That is still an alarming number, and is not that different from the 75% born out of wedlock.
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

The breakdown of the family is a big tragedy for children.

Notably, the ethnic group with the highest share of 2 parent families, the asian community, is the most prosperous in the US.

WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

If someone is born out of wedlock...whatever color or ethnicity they are...they are reduced to trash in your view? They are reduced to lesser than? The deserve lower quality education...that places them on a lower 'track' for the rest of their life? They don't deserve decent, safe housing? They don't deserve the presumption of innocence and the entirety of humanness when looked at by law enforcement? They don't deserve parity in sentencing when committing crimes? They don't deserve to bring children into this world without ALL of these worries that they have had themselves placed on their children?

What kind of monster postulates that a Black human's treatment in life is due to what circumstances under which they were born? And FYI rich black children and parents have the same worries.

N583JB

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 pm

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It's a taser, the guy was running away, and the cop had backup. Just stop chasing.

Hindsight is 20/20. That said, nothing the officers did appears to have been unlawful. The trial should be interesting. Hope Atlanta still has some cops left to stop the inevitable looting upon his acquittal.

kalvado

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

"stop chasing " is usually used in a context of non-violent situations. Which doesn't apply here.
first "non violent" part. Police officers were just attacked, weapon stollen, and actually discharged. So "non-violent" no longer applies.
We're talking about convicted felon - and it's not that conviction is for a pinch of marijuana - who is on probation. That already drops the threshold quite a bit. Unlike many other cases when the criminal past was brought up long after the event, in this case police had time to run his ID and was aware of the status.
The guy is drunk, and I wonder if an autopsy would reveal anything else. He seems to have less than a full understanding of the situation - meaning ready to do stupid things (like, you know, tasing an officer)
"just a taser" - well, taser is dangerous, there are a lot of limitations on how it can be used, and certain shots - e.g. in heart area - can easily be deadly. That's why officers get special training for that.

Last, but not the least - can you think of what could happen next? As people speculate, he turned violent when realized that probation is busted by DWI, and he's serving many years of his prior term. Having nothing to lose is a dangerous condition... And there is still one cartridge in that taser....

Not a rosy "just running away, they have his ID" case,if you ask me...

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 am

kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:

"stop chasing " is usually used in a context of non-violent situations. Which doesn't apply here.
first "non violent" part. Police officers were just attacked, weapon stollen, and actually discharged. So "non-violent" no longer applies.
We're talking about convicted felon - and it's not that conviction is for a pinch of marijuana - who is on probation. That already drops the threshold quite a bit. Unlike many other cases when the criminal past was brought up long after the event, in this case police had time to run his ID and was aware of the status.
The guy is drunk, and I wonder if an autopsy would reveal anything else. He seems to have less than a full understanding of the situation - meaning ready to do stupid things (like, you know, tasing an officer)
"just a taser" - well, taser is dangerous, there are a lot of limitations on how it can be used, and certain shots - e.g. in heart area - can easily be deadly. That's why officers get special training for that.

Last, but not the least - can you think of what could happen next? As people speculate, he turned violent when realized that probation is busted by DWI, and he's serving many years of his prior term. Having nothing to lose is a dangerous condition... And there is still one cartridge in that taser....

It isn't a good situation, and Rayshard definitely would have gotten felony assault on an officer plus all the other charges. However now he is dead, a cop is fired, one is on administrative leave and there is a trial for murder. Yes the cop can shoot, but should he have shot?

There is also the issues of what occurred after the shots that will play into the trial and evidence that a Jury sees.

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 am

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It isn't a good situation, and Rayshard definitely would have gotten felony assault on an officer plus all the other charges. However now he is dead, a cop is fired, one is on administrative leave and there is a trial for murder. Yes the cop can shoot, but should he have shot?

There is also the issues of what occurred after the shots that will play into the trial and evidence that a Jury sees.

Lets put it so - try to put yourself in his shoes. He's totally screwed, nothing to lose, and probably understans that. Busted probation, violent attack on arresting officer... What are his options? Surrender? Not very likely, he had a chance to just accept his arrest. Are those options safe for people around? If you can find a way how situation can resolve itself- lets discuss. The way I see the situation, we're talking about someone who may do anything at that point. Think about it - by the time shots were fired, guy was already flirting with capital punishment....

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 am

kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:

Lets put it so - try to put yourself in his shoes. He's totally screwed, nothing to lose, and probably understans that. Busted probation, violent attack on arresting officer... What are his options? Surrender? Not very likely, he had a chance to just accept his arrest. Are those options safe for people around? If you can find a way how situation can resolve itself- lets discuss. The way I see the situation, we're talking about someone who may do anything at that point. Think about it - by the time shots were fired, guy was already flirting with capital punishment....

Flirting? He got it, without a trial , and without cooler heads.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 am

Word spreading on social media of a massive walkout tonight from APD. APD does not have enough officers on the street to respond to calls. Surrounding agencies are refusing to send support to Atlanta. Good.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 am

Also, the GBI is reporting that they are still in the middle of their investigation of the shooting and were not consulted by the Fulton County DA prior to today's press conference.

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:56 am

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Should I assume that you are passing on a reasonable discussion?
If not - my question is: how would you envision future development of a situation if shots were not fired? Just start from seeing where he is right before being shot: being on - and busting - probation, with prior felony conviction for child cruelty, and certain charges for attack on arresting officer.

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 am

Lock up that officer for life and fire all the officers who are not responding to calls or calling in sick. Fire their ass.

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 am

kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:

If not - my question is: how would you envision future development of a situation if shots were not fired? Just start from seeing where he is right before being shot: being on - and busting - probation, with prior felony conviction for child cruelty, and certain charges for attack on arresting officer.

The cop stops chasing ,since the original crime was sleeping, under the influence. Puts out an APB, and files his report. The cops pick him up when he shows up at home. Perp gets charged and gets a trial and is sent to jail.

We don't hire cops to be Judge Dread . They need to work to diffuse a situation. Not heighten it.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 am

Pellegrine wrote:
Lock up that officer for life and fire all the officers who are not responding to calls or calling in sick. Fire their ass.

I can promise you the officers who called in sick are not worried in the least about being fired. That would be a blessing to them.

More word coming out....the D.A. today stated that the second officer involved in the case agreed to testify against his partner. The officer's lawyer said that was a bold-faced lie. In addition, the D.A. is in the middle of an ethics investigation as well as a sexual harassment investigation. He's also losing a run-off race to another challenger.

Atlanta has evidenrly asked the Georgia State Police for assistance tonight due to massive call outs and the GSP said, "no".

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 am

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

The cop stops chasing ,since the original crime was sleeping, under the influence. Puts out an APB, and files his report. The cops pick him up when he shows up at home. Perp gets charged and gets a trial and is sent to jail.

We don't hire cops to be Judge Dread . They need to work to diffuse a situation. Not heighten it.

The crime escalated from a simple DUI to a felony assault on a police officer once the officers tried to arrest the man. The man was also previously convicted of another violent felony. You don't just let violent felons take your weapons and the run away.

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:20 am

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Fairly optimistic.
Probation busted - for the second time, actually. Back to jail, serving 6 years leftover - just for starters. That was the deal before any violence.
Next - guy attacked the arresting officer. Aggravated assault. up to 20 years.

When shows up at home, heh...

UPD: I am flabbergasted with the fact that I am defending police officers. Personally I have many many concerns about their actions and ethics in many situation.
But Atlanta killing is the case where I personally just cannot find any reason for being sceptical.
Last edited by kalvado on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BN747

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 am

casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You're applying logic to a situation that avoided it at every turn.

When Brooks offered to go to his sisters' house nearby, they should have allowed him...everyone goes home.

Who keeps an inebriated man standing, asking him questions for 45 mins...only someone determined to make something out of nothing no matter what, that's who - that cop.
Who then after shooting him in the back shouts 'I got him', then hauls back and kicks the dying man..' like a slain animal. Who is the animal now? There was never any 'professionalism here, never any decency by this shitty cop.

Many Black men are asking themselves 'what do I do if pulled over, questioned and a attempt to be handcuffed - make a run? Esp. an arrest over some BS?
A lot of silent (bad) cops are on the street right now, some posting 'shoot 'em' type msgs on social media...any black male is suspect of BS charges, esp. if the 'interview' goes on far too long, you know something else is in the works. You can't blame them.

The APD sick-out some are praying for - failed. Those who did so have now earmarked their portfolios for 'potential problem officer' as they should.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 am

N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:
kalvado wrote:

The crime escalated from a simple DUI to a felony assault on a police officer once the officers tried to arrest the man. The man was also previously convicted of another violent felony. You don't just let violent felons take your weapons and the run away.

Let's look at the charges so we are all clear on why he was fired, and why the officer is being charged.

You can see why he wad fired when you look at the last 4 charges.

Prosecutors say Rolfe broke his oath and didn't follow the police department policies when he used a Taser as Brooks ran away, failed to render timely medical aid to Brooks, shot Brooks twice in the back and failed to tell him that he was under arrest for driving under the influence.
Rolfe faces four additional charges linked to the third shot he fired, a bullet that hit an occupied vehicle in the Wendy's lot.
- Three aggravated assault charges related to the three people who were inside the vehicle.
- One count of criminal damage of property in the first degree for damaging the vehicle "in a manner so as to endanger human life by shooting it with a handgun."

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 am

casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Let's look at the charges so we are all clear on why he was fired, and why the officer is being charged.

Prosecutors say Rolfe broke his oath and didn't follow the police department policies when he used a Taser as Brooks ran away, failed to render timely medical aid to Brooks, shot Brooks twice in the back and failed to tell him that he was under arrest for driving under the influence.
Rolfe faces four additional charges linked to the third shot he fired, a bullet that hit an occupied vehicle in the Wendy's lot.
- Three aggravated assault charges related to the three people who were inside the vehicle.
- One count of criminal damage of property in the first degree for damaging the vehicle "in a manner so as to endanger human life by shooting it with a handgun."

All of that coming from a D.A. who is under multiple investigations, who refused to listen to the GBI, and who blatantly misrepresented the facts in the press conference. This cop is going to walk in the easiest trial of all time, if it even makes it to trial. My guess is that the D.A. has a greater likelihood of spending time in jail than this officer who did nothing wrong.

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 am

N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:

All of that coming from a D.A. who is under multiple investigations, who refused to listen to the GBI, and who blatantly misrepresented the facts in the press conference. This cop is going to walk in the easiest trial of all time, if it even makes it to trial. My guess is that the D.A. has a greater likelihood of spending time in jail than this officer who did nothing wrong.

That's a bold claim. Let's see how it all plays out .

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:31 am

casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

That's a bold claim. Let's see how it all plays out .

I'm looking forward to it.

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:35 am

N583JB wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I can promise you the officers who called in sick are not worried in the least about being fired. That would be a blessing to them.

More word coming out....the D.A. today stated that the second officer involved in the case agreed to testify against his partner. The officer's lawyer said that was a bold-faced lie. In addition, the D.A. is in the middle of an ethics investigation as well as a sexual harassment investigation. He's also losing a run-off race to another challenger.

Atlanta has evidenrly asked the Georgia State Police for assistance tonight due to massive call outs and the GSP said, "no".

If it's a blessing to them then they should quit. I'm not a police officer, that job is not for me...it is not for everyone. Maybe this will blow up like Minnesota and they'll disband the whole force.

Time to make life hard for the police union and these brutalist, murderer sympathizers.

Nothing makes you a god because you were given a badge and gun. Charge and convict officers just like you've charged all those black men over all of these years.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 am

Pellegrine wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

If it's a blessing to them then they should quit. I'm not a police officer, that job is not for me...it is not for everyone. Maybe this will blow up like Minnesota and they'll disband the whole force.

Time to make life hard for the police union and these brutalist, murderer sympathizers.

Nothing makes you a god because you were given a badge and gun. Charge and convict officers just like you've charged all those black men over all of these years.

No officer is going to be convicted and the two officers who were charged will probably be millionaires when this is all said and done. The same D.A. who announced charges today stated that tasers were "deadly force" under Georgia law less than two weeks ago. He has zero case and he knows it. I guess people get upset when you pander to convicted felons who pass out drunk while driving and then try to kill the police officers sent to arrest them.

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 am

N583JB wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
N583JB wrote:

No officer is going to be convicted and the two officers who were charged will probably be millionaires when this is all said and done. The same D.A. who announced charges today stated that tasers were "deadly force" under Georgia law less than two weeks ago. He has zero case and he knows it. I guess people get upset when you pander to convicted felons who pass out drunk while driving and then try to kill the police officers sent to arrest them.

Disband that cowardly police force. Take names and mark them down of those who chose NOT to report for duty. Those are the BAD officers. Call in the FBI and the US Marshals.

If there is no conviction, there is no peace. A riot will suffice. Mayor Bottoms had silly comments the last time the CNN Center was attacked, wait for this officer to be declared not-guilty. She will be begging on her knees, and nothing can stop this movement now.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:15 am

N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:

He shot a man that attacked him, stole his tazer from him, and had the tazer pointed directly at him when he fired. The DA's evidence he presented was very weak- "Brooks was nice until he wasn't" and "the officer said 'I got him' after he fired." Zero chance this officer is convicted of any crime.

I initially agreed with this premise, but now video has come to light of the knucklehead cop kicking the guy as he's dying on the ground. That was uncalled for and it what takes this from a justified police shooting into another arena.

GDB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 am

casinterest wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Like I said further up, those resigning and now others bringing the charges, really knows what went down.
Gets worse doesn't it? Shot him again when already down, kicked him, a third shot hit another vehicle, not only brutal but useless with a gun. Had anyone in that vehicle been injured or killed, had they been, heaven forbid, white, than we'd have seen a lot less attempts at justifying actions that any self respecting PD would be ashamed of, less of the not well hidden agenda either.

scbriml

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:59 am

N583JB wrote:
No officer is going to be convicted and the two officers who were charged will probably be millionaires when this is all said and done.

Shoot a guy in the back and get paid for it. Sounds like a bit of a wet dream for you.

N583JB wrote:
I guess people get upset when you pander to convicted felons who pass out drunk while driving and then try to kill the police officers sent to arrest them.

How did he try and kill two police officers with a taser?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scbriml

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 am

GDB wrote:
Shot him again when already down, kicked him, a third shot hit another vehicle, not only brutal but useless with a gun.

It's fine because he was obviously in fear of his life from a guy running away from him. Then still in fear of his life from a guy he shot in the back, so decided to shoot him again. Then, while still in even more fear from a man he shot twice, decided to kick him! The other car and potential victims were just collateral because hey, he got the perp good and proper.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

extender

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am

I love the hysterics coming from people that cannot fathom the incredible stress these types of situations create. The cop is entitled to a defense. So wait and see if he is convicted first. The useless DA ruled that a taser is lethal force previously. So which one is it? Deadly force or not? Or now cops have to read tea leaves too? Some people believe something because they want to believe it not because it is proven through objective evidence. When you make one group a protected class, you give them the ability to act entitled to visit violence on others with zero consequence.

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am

Pellegrine wrote:
If there is no conviction, there is no peace. A riot will suffice. Mayor Bottoms had silly comments the last time the CNN Center was attacked, wait for this officer to be declared not-guilty. She will be begging on her knees, and nothing can stop this movement now.

Basically now we have to choose between unfair justice and riot threat. Great choice.
It is true that certain groups were not getting fair justice for quite a while. Things are improving, though, few hundred years ago nobody was getting it fair. Does it make sense to get more wrong out in an attempt to fix things?

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am

scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:
Shot him again when already down, kicked him, a third shot hit another vehicle, not only brutal but useless with a gun.

It's fine because he was obviously in fear of his life from a guy running away from him. Then still in fear of his life from a guy he shot in the back, so decided to shoot him again. Then, while still in even more fear from a man he shot twice, decided to kick him! The other car and potential victims were just collateral because hey, he got the perp good and proper.

Since you're repeating this "shot in 5he back" so many times, may I ask if you saw actual shooting video?
It is a "yes" or "no" question, if you don't mind

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am

Pellegrine wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Disband that cowardly police force. Take names and mark them down of those who chose NOT to report for duty. Those are the BAD officers. Call in the FBI and the US Marshals.

Sorry, but there will be no conviction. Mob rule does not trump the rule of law. The officer did nothing wrong. Looking forward to the trial and the inevitable lawsuits afterwards.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 am

Kiwirob wrote:
N583JB wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I initially agreed with this premise, but now video has come to light of the knucklehead cop kicking the guy as he's dying on the ground. That was uncalled for and it what takes this from a justified police shooting into another arena.

He kicked the tazer out of the man's hand. Normal SOP.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:43 am

scbriml wrote:
N583JB wrote:
No officer is going to be convicted and the two officers who were charged will probably be millionaires when this is all said and done.

Shoot a guy in the back and get paid for it. Sounds like a bit of a wet dream for you.

N583JB wrote:
I guess people get upset when you pander to convicted felons who pass out drunk while driving and then try to kill the police officers sent to arrest them.

How did he try and kill two police officers with a taser?

According to Georgia law (and the Fulton County D.A.) a taser is a deadly weapon.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:46 am

scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:

I take it you haven't watched the video. You should. Brooks was pointing the tazer directly at the officer moments before he was shot. He did this while "running away". If Brooks had simply run without turning and firing at the officer he would still be alive right now. Moreover, there is no evidence the officer "kicked" Brooks. He kicked the weapon out of Brook's hand, which is normal operating procedure.

JJJ

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am

kalvado wrote:
scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:

Since you're repeating this "shot in 5he back" so many times, may I ask if you saw actual shooting video?

Have you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/us/v ... olice.html

At the bottom of the page there's the video with captions and highlights. The officer definitely shot him in the back.

Why wouldn't the officers just let the man walk?

11:04 p.m. Officer Rolfe performs a sobriety test on Mr. Brooks over the next seven minutes. Mr. Brooks is compliant and friendly with the officers throughout this time. He says he is not too drunk to drive.

Officer Rolfe asks Mr. Brooks to take a breath test for alcohol. Mr. Brooks admits he has been drinking and says, “I don’t want to refuse anything.”

Mr. Brooks asks the officers if he can lock his car up under their supervision and walk to his sister’s house, which he says is a short distance away. “I can just go home,” he says.

11:23 p.m. The two officers have been at the scene for 27 minutes. When the breath test is complete, Officer Rolfe tells Mr. Brooks he “has had too much drink to be driving,” and begins to handcuff him. Less than a minute later, Mr. Brooks is shot.

Back when I was much younger I found myself in a very similar situation. After a long night of much drinking I went to my car and fell asleep in the parking lot. Some time later on a cop knocked on my window, told me I couldn't leave the car there.

Still way drunk, I threw the car keys at him in a display of "look I'm not in any position to be driving" which hit him square in the chest, so he calmly put the keys in the passenger seat, pushed my car with his mate to a safe space and told me to get some sleep because I was not fit to drive.

And indeed in a few hours time I got up with a nasty hangover but otherwise unharmed and unshot.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:09 am

JJJ wrote:
kalvado wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Have you?

At the bottom of the page there's the video with captions and highlights. The officer definitely shot him in the back.

11:04 p.m. Officer Rolfe performs a sobriety test on Mr. Brooks over the next seven minutes. Mr. Brooks is compliant and friendly with the officers throughout this time. He says he is not too drunk to drive.

Officer Rolfe asks Mr. Brooks to take a breath test for alcohol. Mr. Brooks admits he has been drinking and says, “I don’t want to refuse anything.”

Mr. Brooks asks the officers if he can lock his car up under their supervision and walk to his sister’s house, which he says is a short distance away. “I can just go home,” he says.

11:23 p.m. The two officers have been at the scene for 27 minutes. When the breath test is complete, Officer Rolfe tells Mr. Brooks he “has had too much drink to be driving,” and begins to handcuff him. Less than a minute later, Mr. Brooks is shot.

Back when I was much younger I found myself in a very similar situation. After a long night of much drinking I went to my car and fell asleep in the parking lot. Some time later on a cop knocked on my window, told me I couldn't leave the car there.

Still way drunk, I threw the car keys at him in a display of "look I'm not in any position to be driving" which hit him square in the chest, so he calmly put the keys in the passenger seat, pushed my car with his mate to a safe space and told me to get some sleep because I was not fit to drive.

And indeed in a few hours time I got up with a nasty hangover but otherwise unharmed and unshot.

The officers didn't just "let him go" because he had just committed a violent felony and taken a weapon from one of them. If you had behaved the same way during your experience you likely would have experienced the same outcome. The problem is not with the DUI, it is with the man's decision to resist arrest, punch an officer in the face, disarm the officer of his taser, and shoot it at him.

JJJ

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am

N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:
kalvado wrote:

Have you?

The officers didn't just "let him go" because he had just committed a violent felony and taken a weapon from one of them. If you had behaved the same way during your experience you likely would have experienced the same outcome. The problem is not with the DUI, it is with the man's decision to resist arrest, punch an officer in the face, disarm the officer of his taser, and shoot it at him.

Have you read the timeline? The man offered to walk home and leave the car locked.

The altercation would have ended there, but the cops probably wanted to give him a lesson or something (and in that case a ticket would have worked just fine).

extender

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:46 am

He already committed a crime by driving under the influence.

N583JB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am

JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Have you?

Have you read the timeline? The man offered to walk home and leave the car locked.

The altercation would have ended there, but the cops probably wanted to give him a lesson or something (and in that case a ticket would have worked just fine).

So you don't think people should be arrested for drunk driving?

kalvado

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 am

extender wrote:
He already committed a crime by driving under the influence.

And busted terms of his probation by doing that.

extender

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 am

Desperate people do desperate things.

Rayshard Brooks was on probation for four crimes - including cruelty to children - and faced going back to prison if charged with a DUI...

In other words, he had been found guilty of crimes. Yeah, this is the guy you want going home with a load on.

JJJ

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:25 pm

N583JB wrote:
JJJ wrote:
N583JB wrote:

So you don't think people should be arrested for drunk driving?

Unless it comes with dangerous driving a ticket and/or a citation is enough.

extender

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Things are a bit different; lets say the cop lets the drunk walk home, and he gets in another car, and kills someone, guess who is liable? You guessed it, the cop. You can't have it both ways.

JJJ

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm

extender wrote:
Things are a bit different; lets say the cop lets the drunk walk home, and he gets in another car, and kills someone, guess who is liable? You guessed it, the cop. You can't have it both ways.

Not true.

https://www.nashvilleinjurylawyer-blog. ... driver-go/

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm

extender wrote:

A lot of states hold no liability to the cops for such a scenerio.
But liability vs death, is that the battle you are going for?