Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Possibility of Sudan as a Tourist Destination

Sat May 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Back in November, Sudan was looking at pyramids, specifically the ones at Meroe, which are located in the east bank of the Nile about 200 kilometers (125 miles) northeast of the capitol, Khartoum. Sudan has more pyramids (though smaller) than Egypt, yet Sudan only saw 700,000 foreign tourists in 2018 compared to 10 million in Egypt. This was due to conflicts and crises under Omar al-Bashir's rule, tough visa regime, and lack of roads and hotels outside of Khartoum. After Bashir was removed from power in April, the new civilian government started easing visa rules, including the end of the requirement for a travel permit outside of Khartoum and a film crew was shooting a promotional video for a travel agency in Khartourm. Near Meroe, an array of temples with ancient drawings of animals and the ancient temple of Naga and more pyramids are seen further north at Jebel Barka. The new visa system has seen an increase in arrivals in October and November 2019, though they did drop in 2019 due to unrest. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, 900,000 tourists were expected in 2020 with 1.2 million predicted for 2021. Sudan is in desperate need of tourists due to hyperinflation and isolation that have occurred there for decades. A visitors center was set up at Marie with money from Germany and Qatar explaining the History of Sudan and the pyramids with a new reception center and walking tracks also seen. Visitors can enter the interior of the pyramids for the first time and soon will be able to visit the tombs due to $135 million in aid from Qatar. Several pyramids will also be restored after decades of neglect and Sudanese tourists are also coming. Once the pandemic is over, Sudan would be a great place to visit as a tourist and hopefully, they will become a tourist destination meeting the same standards as Egypt
https://torontosun.com/travel/internati ... lp-economy

TSS

Re: Possibility of Sudan as a Tourist Destination

Sat May 30, 2020 7:55 pm

For once we are in agreement. Sudan has a long and fascinating history that has been hidden away by totalitarian governments, so most people don't know anything about it. Equally if not more important for the tourist trade, the native cuisine in Sudan is very tasty.

(I had a friend who was a Sudanese refugee that ran a restaurant featuring dishes from Sudan for a while)
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2020 8:00 pm

TSS wrote:
For once we are in agreement. Sudan has a long and fascinating history that has been hidden away by totalitarian governments, so most people don't know anything about it. Equally if not more important for the tourist trade, the native cuisine in Sudan is very tasty.

(I had a friend who was a Sudanese refugee that ran a restaurant featuring dishes from Sudan for a while)

Sudan was once part of Ancient Egypt as well and has a huge potential to become a major tourist destination like Egypt. They should upgrade the hotels to the standard of those in Egypt.

TSS

Sat May 30, 2020 8:40 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Sudan was once part of Ancient Egypt as well and has a huge potential to become a major tourist destination like Egypt. They should upgrade the hotels to the standard of those in Egypt.

One thing at a time, buddy. You're putting the cart before the horse there right now. I imagine most of the Sudan tourists at the moment will be of the at least somewhat "adventurous" type who want to explore places before they become popular and "touristy", and that type isn't going to be interested in Four Seasons-quality accommodations. Show that the current government is and can remain stable, show a consistent rise in tourist numbers year-over-year for a reasonable period, and larger and fancier hotel chains will naturally want to build properties there. One thing the Sudanese government could do to protect their own interests in this is pass strict laws regarding local percentage of ownership of hotels, etc., so that they don't have a pre-Castro Cuba situation and that most of the tourist money spent in Sudan stays in Sudan.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

stl07

Sat May 30, 2020 8:47 pm

It's a beautiful country, but so is Venezuela. But places like Croatia, Colombia, and dare I say Baja California have all had tourist numbers increase exponentially once their regions have gotten under control so the same could be said about Sudan in the future.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2020 9:46 pm

stl07 wrote:
It's a beautiful country, but so is Venezuela. But places like Croatia, Colombia, and dare I say Baja California have all had tourist numbers increase exponentially once their regions have gotten under control so the same could be said about Sudan in the future.

Same thing happened in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey in the couple years before COVID-19.

Jalap

Sat May 30, 2020 10:23 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Same thing happened in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey in the couple years before COVID-19.

Think it's hard to compare those countries with Sudan. They never were as deep in misery as Sudan.
Also, can Sudan get free of religious fundamentalism?
For this could be more of a deterrent for toursim than most dictators or political systems are.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 5:08 am

Jalap wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Think it's hard to compare those countries with Sudan. They never were as deep in misery as Sudan.
For this could be more of a deterrent for toursim than most dictators or political systems are.

How come were Israel, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey never in as much misery as Sudan in the past 5 years?

Kiwirob

Sun May 31, 2020 5:21 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Who is going to pay for those upgrades? It’s a chicken and egg situation, the tourists aren’t going to come unless the facilities are better.

Kiwirob

Sun May 31, 2020 5:24 am

stl07 wrote:

How can you include Croatia in this list, it’s a relatively cheap country with a beautiful Mediterranean coastline, tourists have been going to Croatia for eons.

stl07

Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 am

Kiwirob wrote:
stl07 wrote:

How can you include Croatia in this list, it’s a relatively cheap country with a beautiful Mediterranean coastline, tourists have been going to Croatia for eons.

True, but I guess my point was more that Croatia has rebounded after conflict
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

tu204

Sun May 31, 2020 6:44 am

Permitting the sale of alcohol (at least beer) would also help...nothing beats a cold one during a +50 degree Khartoum afternoon.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Jalap

Sun May 31, 2020 8:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
How come were Israel, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey never in as much misery as Sudan in the past 5 years?

Sudan suffered from an evil dictator AND civil war AND religious fundamentalism AND towering inflation.

Has any of those other countries suffered the same combination?
Perhaps the have, mind you, I'm definitely no historian.

Based on perception, Sudan seems to be in the top 5 most miserable countries to live in. Along with Somalia and Yemen perhaps. Would rateSyria and Afghanistan even higher because at least those are getting some international attention.
(then again, this is based on perception and I would be very happy to be wrong)

VSMUT

Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 am

Jalap wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Considering how tourism caught on towards the end of Ghaddafi-era Libya, tourists definitely don't care if the country is run by a dictator. They had over 1 mio. tourists in the final years. The same goes for a number of other pre-Arab Spring dictatorships. Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen and Syria as well. Prior to the civil war, Syria topped out at over 8 mio. annual tourists. In the Afriqiyah Airways A330 crash in 2009, 79 of 104 passengers came from Europe and North America. The Yemenia crash in 2009 also had a lot of westerners on board. Visiting or passing through, it is clear that westerners didn't mind dealing with stable dictatorships.

Access to alcohol and permitting women to be lightly dressed is a must for most tourists, which clashes with Islamic principles.

EstherLouise

Sun May 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Civil war. Political crazies. Dictatorship. Yeah... But, no. I'll happily spend my US dollars in a place where I don't have to worry that any given five minutes will be the last five minutes of my life.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

seb146

Sun May 31, 2020 4:27 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
Civil war. Political crazies. Dictatorship. Yeah... But, no. I'll happily spend my US dollars in a place where I don't have to worry that any given five minutes will be the last five minutes of my life.

Haven't there been coups in Fiji and Thailand recently? Both rely on tourism. Tourists had been going to Mexico, even with the drug and gang cartels running many areas of the country. I think that, because Sudan is not a tourist destination now, you are mostly right. But, I think when they see what tourist dollars do for their economy, they will reign in the violence. Or at least keep it away from tourists.

I think it would be interesting to spend a few days in the northwest of Sudan. I like the idea of solitude for a few days. I have been keeping track of radio stations since I was about 8 years old and it would be interesting to hear what I could hear on any radio band out there. Probably nothing but that is interesting to me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aesma

Sun May 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Egypt has had several problems with islamists (large scale terrorist attacks) and the only reason tourists still go is that the whole country is tightly controlled by the military so tourists feel safe enough (still, some areas are no go zones). Also, many tourists are Russian, who I guess are not as sensitive as others to risk.

In Sudan the war in Darfur is barely at the ceasefire stage, it could become hot at any time, not really tourism enticing.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mmo

Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Once the pandemic is over, Sudan would be a great place to visit as a tourist and hopefully, they will become a tourist destination meeting the same standards as Egypt

I have to ask, have you been there? I have, on several occasions. Most of the layovers there have been 18 hours and they were the longest 18 hours in my life. Same standards as Egypt? Where are you getting this? The entire infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is barely serving the needs of the residents.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

mmo

Sun May 31, 2020 8:45 pm

mmo wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Once the pandemic is over, Sudan would be a great place to visit as a tourist and hopefully, they will become a tourist destination meeting the same standards as Egypt

I have to ask, have you been there? I have, on several occasions. Most of the layovers there have been 18 hours and they were the longest 18 hours in my life. Same standards as Egypt? Where are you getting this? The entire infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is barely serving the needs of the residents. It is going to be decades before Sudan is even in a position to think about any type of meaningful tourist industry! I think the only place I have been which is worse would be Nouakchott!

mmo

Sun May 31, 2020 8:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

I have to ask, have you been there? I have, on several occasions. Most of the layovers there have been 18 hours and they were the longest 18 hours in my life. Same standards as Egypt? Where are you getting this? The entire infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is barely serving the needs of the residents. It is going to be decades before Sudan is even in a position to think about any type of meaningful tourist industry! I think the only place I have been which is worse would be Nouakchott!

M564038

Sun May 31, 2020 9:21 pm

But you have all those things at home, too!
EstherLouise wrote:

VSMUT

Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm

mmo wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

I have to ask, have you been there? I have, on several occasions. Most of the layovers there have been 18 hours and they were the longest 18 hours in my life. Same standards as Egypt? Where are you getting this? The entire infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is barely serving the needs of the residents.

Egyptian standards are some of the most lousy I have experienced...

stl07

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:12 am

People claiming that westerners won't visit places with a dictatorship have obviously never been to Dubai

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 am

seb146 wrote:
EstherLouise wrote:

Haven't there been coups in Fiji and Thailand recently? Both rely on tourism. Tourists had been going to Mexico, even with the drug and gang cartels running many areas of the country. I think that, because Sudan is not a tourist destination now, you are mostly right. But, I think when they see what tourist dollars do for their economy, they will reign in the violence. Or at least keep it away from tourists.

I think it would be interesting to spend a few days in the northwest of Sudan. I like the idea of solitude for a few days. I have been keeping track of radio stations since I was about 8 years old and it would be interesting to hear what I could hear on any radio band out there. Probably nothing but that is interesting to me.

The cops in Fiji were in 1987, 2000 & 2006. None of them were violent. Basically they were caused by ethnic Fijians being upset with the economic and political dominance of the Indian population. Tourism continued unabated.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 am

I went to Sudan on vacation two years ago. It has a ton of potential plus the Sudanese are the some of warmest, most lovely people on the earth. AMA.

jetwet1

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
EstherLouise wrote:

The cops in Fiji were in 1987, 2000 & 2006. None of them were violent. Basically they were caused by ethnic Fijians being upset with the economic and political dominance of the Indian population. Tourism continued unabated.

Yes to the 1987 and 2000, 2006 was the military trying to stop bills that would have granted amnesty to the people involved in the 2000 coup, at least that was the excuse for a power grab by the military.

Honestly, trying to compare Fiji with Sudan is a total non starter, once the covid bug is under control we will be heading there and I can only think of one reason not to visit.....That would be the food, you really have to search for good food, if they can ever figure out how to cook we would never go to the Caribbean again.

And yes, give Sudan a stable government, deal with the issues and I would head there.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:54 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I went to Sudan on vacation two years ago. It has a ton of potential plus the Sudanese are the some of warmest, most lovely people on the earth. AMA.

What places did you visit in Sudan?

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:19 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yes to the 1987 and 2000, 2006 was the military trying to stop bills that would have granted amnesty to the people involved in the 2000 coup, at least that was the excuse for a power grab by the military.

Honestly, trying to compare Fiji with Sudan is a total non starter, once the covid bug is under control we will be heading there and I can only think of one reason not to visit.....That would be the food, you really have to search for good food, if they can ever figure out how to cook we would never go to the Caribbean again.

And yes, give Sudan a stable government, deal with the issues and I would head there.

The best food in Fiji is split roasted pig, although you can’t eat that every night. I enjoy Fiji, except for the food. With the large Indian population there should be better food but there isn’t.

seb146

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The best food in Fiji is split roasted pig, although you can’t eat that every night. I enjoy Fiji, except for the food. With the large Indian population there should be better food but there isn’t.

Food, like art, is subjective. I hate Indian food and I hate bacon. Others, for some reason, will crawl over shards of glass for curry or bacon.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Day 1: Khartoum - the convergence of Blue and White Niles, Mahdi's Tomb, Khalifa's House, Omdurman Souq
Day 2: Travel to Meroe - stopped in Naqa, Musawarat As-Sufra, camped overnight at Meroe
Day 3: Travel to Nuri -- Sunrise at Meroe, Nuri, El- Kurru, Jebel Barkal, camp overnight
Day 4: Jebel Barkal, Great Temple of Amun of Napata, back to Khartoum
Day 5: Khartoum - National Museum, Ethnographic Museum, Republican Palace Museum, Hamid-el- Nil Cemetry Sufi Ceremony
Day 6: Khartoum - Camel Market, Nubian Wrestling match

Interesting tidbits
1) Everywhere but the 1st day at Meroe we were the only foreigners there.
2) Jebel Barkal was actually really interesting, even though I had never head of it before. Orgies under a cobra head carved into a mountain!!!
3) We met some workers from the Fine Arts Museum in Boston that were restoring a tomb and building some tourist facilities like public bathrooms. The let us go down into the tomb they were restoring, it was amazing.
4) There was basically no security anywhere. At one site, our guide had to the guard's mothers house and wake him so we could get in. You can touch, enter, take photos of just about anything you want to.
5) No infrastructure. Once you leave Khartoum, there are essentially no hotels or bathrooms and even restaurants are pretty rare.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Day 1: Khartoum - the convergence of Blue and White Niles, Mahdi's Tomb, Khalifa's House, Omdurman Souq
Day 2: Travel to Meroe - stopped in Naqa, Musawarat As-Sufra, camped overnight at Meroe
Day 3: Travel to Nuri -- Sunrise at Meroe, Nuri, El- Kurru, Jebel Barkal, camp overnight
Day 5: Khartoum - National Museum, Ethnographic Museum, Republican Palace Museum, Hamid-el- Nil Cemetry Sufi Ceremony

Interesting tidbits
2) Jebel Barkal was actually really interesting, even though I had never head of it before. Orgies under a cobra head carved into a mountain!!!
3) We met some workers from the Fine Arts Museum in Boston that were restoring a tomb and building some tourist facilities like public bathrooms. The let us go down into the tomb they were restoring, it was amazing.
4) There was basically no security anywhere. At one site, our guide had to the guard's mothers house and wake him so we could get in. You can touch, enter, take photos of just about anything you want to.
5) No infrastructure. Once you leave Khartoum, there are essentially no hotels or bathrooms and even restaurants are pretty rare.

How are things in Egypt by comparison.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:14 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Interesting tidbits

The sites in Egypt are better preserved but, despite the lack of infrastructure, I still enjoyed Sudan more. The most annoying thing about Egypt is the never ending vendors -- they are so aggressive and relentless that it is hard to enjoy your trip. Last time I was in Giza, the guide I hired had to pull out bamboo rod and start beating the vendors with it so they would leave me alone. You don't have that issue at all in Sudan, the Sudanese are just genuinely happy to meet you -- not just meet you they can sell you something.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:06 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Interesting tidbits

The sites in Egypt are better preserved but, despite the lack of infrastructure, I still enjoyed Sudan more. The most annoying thing about Egypt is the never ending vendors -- they are so aggressive and relentless that it is hard to enjoy your trip. Last time I was in Giza, the guide I hired had to pull out bamboo rod and start beating the vendors with it so they would leave me alone. You don't have that issue at all in Sudan, the Sudanese are just genuinely happy to meet you -- not just meet you they can sell you something.

When did you most recently visit Egypt and what is the infrastructure in Egypt like compared to Sudan.

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Interesting tidbits

I love these "genuine" vacations,
I was two years ago in Myanmar. Lovely people, great country. Had a blast in Bagan on my e-scooter driving from one temple to the next. Totally felt like Indiana Jones (with pocket lamp and all that...).