Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 am

Welcome to Coronavirus Non Aviation Thread - June 2020. Please continue your discussion and to add your comments below.

Link to last thread:

COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - May 2020

KFTG

Re: COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Virus is burning itself out, just like SARS did.

The coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor says.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/italian-doctor-claims-coronavirus-is-losing-potency-230358136.html

Of course, right after these comments were made, the Coronovirus Industrial Complex / stay-at-home-until-a-vaccine-comes pinheads immediately were aghast that he made them.

The numbers truly do speak for themselves. GA is an example I like to use; re-opened on May 1, and even with greatly-expanded testing, confirm cases are relatively flat with no obvious trend being observed.

ltbewr

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am

The USA is likely to see a huge rise in Covid-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths from the recent protests as to George Floyd's death as many protesters didn't wear masks, were shouting, in far less than 'social distancing' from each other. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dc-ma ... spartandhp

casinterest

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 pm

KFTG wrote:
Virus is burning itself out, just like SARS did.

The coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor says.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/italian-doctor-claims-coronavirus-is-losing-potency-230358136.html

Of course, right after these comments were made, the Coronovirus Industrial Complex / stay-at-home-until-a-vaccine-comes pinheads immediately were aghast that he made them.

The numbers truly do speak for themselves. GA is an example I like to use; re-opened on May 1, and even with greatly-expanded testing, confirm cases are relatively flat with no obvious trend being observed.

I wouldn't put all your eggs in the GA basket. They are fudging the numbers a bit. I watched their website for the last week, and even though they have new cases confirmed every day, their graph keeps reducing numbers from the preliminary numbers as time goes on. Either they have a a bug in software, or their is some bad number manipulation occurring.
Where ever you go, there you are.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The USA is likely to see a huge rise in Covid-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths from the recent protests as to George Floyd's death as many protesters didn't wear masks, were shouting, in far less than 'social distancing' from each other. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dc-ma ... spartandhp

Play the states that already have increasing corona cases, or with the highest rate of infection to date. Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Wisconsin

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... ctions-us/

KFTG wrote:
the Coronovirus Industrial Complex

I'd be very surprised it that industrial complex didn't have the same shareholder than all other industries.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Jalap

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Derico wrote:
Jalap wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It would seem increases testing is showing for more cases, with less deaths, however the recent sharp uptick in cases in Brazil , Peru, and India do lead to concern that we will see a sharp spike in deaths in June.

Unfortunately, some other countries, like Chile, just got the virus later than others. They stand today where others were 2 months ago. It's a shame that they should have perfectly known what was coming and didn't manage to avoid it.

This is absolutely incorrect. As I was fearing, as soon as news started getting around here Non-Av about the uptick of cases in South America, the general lack of knowledge by posters would begin to show, this is a good example.

I would suggest people here do not talk about the situation in South America, and stick to the regions you do know better, North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, or Russia.

Ok, I'm only going by the information available on sites like Worldometer.
This could very well bring me to incorrect ideas. Also because apart from Brazil, we hear very little about South America in the news.
So please share your knowledge, I'm truely interested.

Derico

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Jalap wrote:
Derico wrote:
Jalap wrote:

Unfortunately, some other countries, like Chile, just got the virus later than others. They stand today where others were 2 months ago. It's a shame that they should have perfectly known what was coming and didn't manage to avoid it.

This is absolutely incorrect. As I was fearing, as soon as news started getting around here Non-Av about the uptick of cases in South America, the general lack of knowledge by posters would begin to show, this is a good example.

I would suggest people here do not talk about the situation in South America, and stick to the regions you do know better, North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, or Russia.

This could very well bring me to incorrect ideas. Also because apart from Brazil, we hear very little about South America in the news.

I should have been more clear, sorry. I am not saying the numbers are wrong from Worldometer. What I believe wrong is that South America somehow had two months warning, I don't know where you read that but it is just innacurate. In early March there were already cases detected, only 3 weeks or so after cases in Europe were detected. With air travel, it is likely the virus was already in SA before that.

Some South American countries (Brazil and Mexico excepted), began intervention measures earlier than Europe in the Virus course, and this seemed to work for a while in March and April. I think those measures delayed by 4-6 weeks what we are seeing now. So it is not accurate to say they knew what was coming and did nothing. On the contrary, some of the world's strictest lockdowns are in the Southern Cone, and some countries have done quite widespread testing beyond what you would expect (Peru for example).

I really do believe this virus has a "sweet spot" of temperature and humidity. Every time the environment in a country has changed to where the temperature is around 8-13C the cases spike. People cluster inside a lot when it falls below 14C (57F), and because the virus itself seems to remain both stable and pathogenic in that environment either in the air or on surfaces, it is far easier to spread. When it's hotter than 21C it appears to break down quicker, when it's lower than 5C it is not as pathogenic. But this is completely my observation with ZERO base in science.

As soon as the temperatures dipped to that sweet zone in South America, the cases spiked. As in Russia when they ROSE to that level. All the hot spots were in the temperate zones, and both in Europe and Asia they moved north as the spring progressed.

ps - The Italian doctors saying the viral load of the virus in Italy in May being much less than in March may in fact suggest this too. Viral loads in tropical countries have been tentatively found to be much lower than elsewhere.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

tommy1808

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 am

Derico wrote:
I really do believe this virus has a "sweet spot" of temperature and humidity. Every time the environment in a country has changed to where the temperature is around 8-13C the cases spike. People cluster inside a lot when it falls below 14C (57F), and because the virus itself seems to remain both stable and pathogenic in that environment either in the air or on surfaces, it is far easier to spread. When it's hotter than 21C it appears to break down quicker, when it's lower than 5C it is not as pathogenic. But this is completely my observation with ZERO base in science. .

not that will be fun in air conditioned countries....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Derico

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:03 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Derico wrote:
I really do believe this virus has a "sweet spot" of temperature and humidity. Every time the environment in a country has changed to where the temperature is around 8-13C the cases spike. People cluster inside a lot when it falls below 14C (57F), and because the virus itself seems to remain both stable and pathogenic in that environment either in the air or on surfaces, it is far easier to spread. When it's hotter than 21C it appears to break down quicker, when it's lower than 5C it is not as pathogenic. But this is completely my observation with ZERO base in science. .

best regards
Thomas

Apparently air conditioning does affect the virus, and makes it more viable to spread. I am not an epidemiologist and of course much is still unknown about all this, but the virus does seem to survive better in air conditioned environments compared to the general (which obviously would mean it is fairly hot and humid outside). Examples of this in Hong Kong buildings where they discovered the virus had spread in the ventilation, Singapore, some Naval ships of European militaries, and in some Buenos Aires areas were the virus spread faster in air conditioned buildings in middle class areas (where AC is universal) in earlier weeks when it was still extremely and unusually hot, than in the poorer areas (where it was spreading in recent days in the cooler weather).
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

zkojq

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:09 pm

ltbewr wrote:

:checkmark: Protesting is very important but people really need to keep their distance as they do so. It is possible - Israelis did just that a month or two ago:

Most of the world doesn't have the virus under control. There's not much to be gained from taking stupid risks. The virus doesn't care whether you're interacting with someone for good reasons or not.

https://www.axios.com/israel-black-flag ... 27fc1.html

From the last thread:

New Zealand is one of the only countries that did what it needed to do.

Anarchy is here, as I predicted a couple of months ago.
The riots and looting are not about Floyd anymore, this is what happens when people are out of work and out of money.

This is what happens when you bailout Wall Street instead of Main street.

:checkmark: Yeah exactly. Not sure why countries didn't do some form of wage/income guarantees or only did them for very selective industries.

I think the Covid-19 pandemic is part of the reasons for the blow up of protests over the death/murder of Mr. Floyd. I bet while the general unemployment rate is 25% or more in the USA, that it is more like 50% in Black communities. Those employed disproportional of 'essential' workers in high Covid-19 infection risk jobs at low pay. A disprortional number of those dead in much of the USA from Covid-19 are non-White, with double in some regions and cities of their proportion of population.

The UK released a report today that said people form Black and Minority communities were contracting the virus at roughly twice the rate of Caucasians. Suggested reason was that many of them were essential workers and still had to be going to work (and usually working in low paying jobs with limited/no PPE) whilst their Caucasian counterparts were more likely to be able to work from home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52889106
First to fly the 787-9

StarAC17

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Derico wrote:
Jalap wrote:
Derico wrote:

I should have been more clear, sorry. I am not saying the numbers are wrong from Worldometer. What I believe wrong is that South America somehow had two months warning, I don't know where you read that but it is just innacurate. In early March there were already cases detected, only 3 weeks or so after cases in Europe were detected. With air travel, it is likely the virus was already in SA before that.

Some South American countries (Brazil and Mexico excepted), began intervention measures earlier than Europe in the Virus course, and this seemed to work for a while in March and April. I think those measures delayed by 4-6 weeks what we are seeing now. So it is not accurate to say they knew what was coming and did nothing. On the contrary, some of the world's strictest lockdowns are in the Southern Cone, and some countries have done quite widespread testing beyond what you would expect (Peru for example).

I really do believe this virus has a "sweet spot" of temperature and humidity. Every time the environment in a country has changed to where the temperature is around 8-13C the cases spike. People cluster inside a lot when it falls below 14C (57F), and because the virus itself seems to remain both stable and pathogenic in that environment either in the air or on surfaces, it is far easier to spread. When it's hotter than 21C it appears to break down quicker, when it's lower than 5C it is not as pathogenic. But this is completely my observation with ZERO base in science.

As soon as the temperatures dipped to that sweet zone in South America, the cases spiked. As in Russia when they ROSE to that level. All the hot spots were in the temperate zones, and both in Europe and Asia they moved north as the spring progressed.

ps - The Italian doctors saying the viral load of the virus in Italy in May being much less than in March may in fact suggest this too. Viral loads in tropical countries have been tentatively found to be much lower than elsewhere.

I agree on this.

I don't know if anyone has done a scientific analysis on this but since the outbreak in Wuhan this is where all of the hardest hit places have been and where the deaths have been the most prevalent.

Winter in Wuhan, Iran, Northen Italy (Rome and anywhere south of it were largely spared), France, Spain, the UK, Germany all have February and March temperatures that are around that range. NY was hit in March where that is the seasonal temperature, so did most of the Northeast and the two hardest hit Canadian provinces share that climate also with the most prevalent numbers of cases occurred March 15th to April 30th. Where due to a cold spring in the Northeast those temperatures persisted until mid May.

This seems to be the ideal climate for spreading of all respiratory pathogens. I find in very cold winters where it is persistently below 0 I am less sick than those rollercoaster winters where its warm and cold week to week. As you said this pushes people inside and that is where most of the transmission occurs and the super-spreader events have all happened.

Also add in that is looks like that having Vitamin D deficiency has a huge effect on Covid19 mortality and most of these places in the winter months you do not get enough sunlight to get adequate vitamin D.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 121353.htm

tommy1808 wrote:
Derico wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Not sure where you are getting at but when I fire up the air conditioning it is to bring say a 30 degree indoor temperature down to 23 degrees. I don't know many who have their A/C on that cold to have the temperature consistently below 21 degrees C. Now I do that when sleeping because I have a bedroom unit but not during the day to try and sleep at the optimal 19 degrees but never during the day.

ltbewr wrote:

We will see what happens with this, outdoor transmission has been limited when analyzed and come this weekend will be 2 weeks from Memorial day parties and we should already be seeing a spike form that weekend starting now. I don't look at all the news but I haven't seen any surges related to those events.

https://www.nsnews.com/news/risk-of-tra ... 1.24127315
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

aemoreira1981

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Relating this to aviation...what are the odds that some countries keep their doors closed to the USA for perhaps the rest of northern summer 2020? There is a real chance that this could cause an uptick in COVID-19 cases and cause reopenings to have the brakes slammed.

casinterest

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:06 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Relating this to aviation...what are the odds that some countries keep their doors closed to the USA for perhaps the rest of northern summer 2020? There is a real chance that this could cause an uptick in COVID-19 cases and cause reopenings to have the brakes slammed.

It is a very high chance that this lasts through winter 2021.

Jalap

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Derico wrote:
As soon as the temperatures dipped to that sweet zone in South America, the cases spiked.

Thanks for your insight. I was indeed missing out the potential effect of seasons.
I do hope it'll be possible for the countries in the "bad" seasons to get through it without strict stay at home orders...

olle

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm

The R number in Berlin is now 1.95

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/mensch- ... t-li.85585

BerlinThere are more new infections with the corona virus in Berlin. On Tuesday, 6873 confirmed cases were registered, 35 more than the previous day and 23 more than the day before, according to statistics from the Senate Health Administration.

As a result, the overall downward trend in new infections did not continue. The number of cases in the past reporting week was slightly above the number of the previous week and could still fill up slightly in the coming days, the Senate administration said.

The current number of reproductions is given as 1.95. This means that an infected person infects almost two other people on average. Health Senator Dilek Kalayci said: "Although the number of reproductions is subject to fluctuations, the number of new infections is also increasing, so that one has to recognize a turnaround."

The number of reproductions in Berlin rose . The first of three traffic lights used for corona containment measures is red.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 pm

Where is AirWorthy? As predicted, Sweden’s top epidemiologist has contritely admitted he was wrong as deaths continue to mount there.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1 ... 90017?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Where is AirWorthy? As predicted, Sweden’s top epidemiologist has contritely admitted he was wrong as deaths continue to mount there.

Sweden is reporting 2214 new cases today and 74 new deaths today which seems more like a clerical housekeeping numnber that has caught up, but let's compare Sweden with North Carolina

Same populations.
Sweden:

40803 Cases (probably well undercounted)
4542 dead.

North Carolina:
30419 cases
969 deaths.

Social distancing works folks, and NC is a lot more dense than Sweden.

scbriml

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Others have been conspicuous by their absence as well.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

marcelh

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Well, he might be demonstrating....

casinterest

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm

marcelh wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Well, he might be demonstrating....

Maybe he got called back to work and is very busy again.

casinterest

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 pm

And here is one of those stories that just scares you.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/durham ... /19127887/

A Durham community is mourning the loss of a young girl who died after a fight with COVID-19.

Aurea Soto Morales, a second grader at Creekside Elementary School, died Monday after she was hospitalized at UNC for complications from coronavirus.

She started feeling sick last Thursday, May 28. She was tested for COVID-19. Later, she had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital.

Family members said she experienced swelling in her brain. She eventually went into a coma and passed away.

Jalap

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Apparently, he claims to have been misquoted in that article: https://twitter.com/skottska/status/1268155583154266114

Nevertheless, all of Europe has less virus going around than Sweden now.
Countries are opening up, the little virus there's left is being contained with relatively mild measures and contact tracing.
Especially that contact tracing isn't possible in Sweden because there's too much virus to manage that.

For 2 months, many envied Sweden for their light measures. For at least 3 months now, till the fall, Sweden will envy the rest of Europe because we'll have far less risk of picking up the virus when we go out for a beer go shopping or do sports indoor.
Perhaps, when the cold falls in again, herd immunity could prove Sweden a winner again.
Yet I really can't believe the combined numbers of Finland and Norway will ever get close to the Swedish.
And the jury's still out on the economical impact. It isn't certain yet that at the end it all, Sweden will have had a less hard hit...

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 pm

German Official Leaks Report Denouncing Corona as ‘A Global False Alarm’

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/ ... lse-alarm/

Germany’s federal government and mainstream media are engaged in damage control after a report that challenges the established Corona narrative leaked from the interior ministry.

Some of the report key passages are:

The dangerousness of Covid-19 was overestimated: probably at no point did the danger posed by the new virus go beyond the normal level.
The people who die from Corona are essentially those who would statistically die this year, because they have reached the end of their lives and their weakened bodies can no longer cope with any random everyday stress (including the approximately 150 viruses currently in circulation).
Worldwide, within a quarter of a year, there has been no more than 250,000 deaths from Covid-19, compared to 1.5 million deaths [25,100 in Germany] during the influenza wave 2017/18.
The danger is obviously no greater than that of many other viruses. There is no evidence that this was more than a false alarm.
------------------------
If this report is true, then it confirms what many of us already knew... And that the Nation did not deserved to be locked down for Covid-19. Or for something as bad as the Flu.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

flyguy89

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Jalap wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Apparently, he claims to have been misquoted in that article: https://twitter.com/skottska/status/1268155583154266114

Countries are opening up, the little virus there's left is being contained with relatively mild measures and contact tracing.
Especially that contact tracing isn't possible in Sweden because there's too much virus to manage that.

For 2 months, many envied Sweden for their light measures. For at least 3 months now, till the fall, Sweden will envy the rest of Europe because we'll have far less risk of picking up the virus when we go out for a beer go shopping or do sports indoor.
Perhaps, when the cold falls in again, herd immunity could prove Sweden a winner again.
Yet I really can't believe the combined numbers of Finland and Norway will ever get close to the Swedish.
And the jury's still out on the economical impact. It isn't certain yet that at the end it all, Sweden will have had a less hard hit...

Here's the thing I'm curious about with Sweden: it stands to reason that the number of cases there would obviously be much higher than its neighbors, so no surprise there and it's not really and outrageous case count compare to most of Europe. But what is with the unusually high number of deaths? Their hospitals aren't overrun and they have a very solid health system. I've read here and there that their nursing home facilities were unfortunately not protected enough and the virus has particularly wreaked a lot of havoc there, perhaps that explains it?

Aaron747

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Jalap wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Here's the thing I'm curious about with Sweden: it stands to reason that the number of cases there would obviously be much higher than its neighbors, so no surprise there and it's not really and outrageous case count compare to most of Europe. But what is with the unusually high number of deaths? Their hospitals aren't overrun and they have a very solid health system. I've read here and there that their nursing home facilities were unfortunately not protected enough and the virus has particularly wreaked a lot of havoc there, perhaps that explains it?

I believe that is the case - there seems to have been limited mitigation in their nursing homes.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:55 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Germany’s federal government and mainstream media are engaged in damage control after a report that challenges the established Corona narrative leaked from the interior ministry.

Some of the report key passages are:

The dangerousness of Covid-19 was overestimated: probably at no point did the danger posed by the new virus go beyond the normal level.
The people who die from Corona are essentially those who would statistically die this year, because they have reached the end of their lives and their weakened bodies can no longer cope with any random everyday stress (including the approximately 150 viruses currently in circulation).
Worldwide, within a quarter of a year, there has been no more than 250,000 deaths from Covid-19, compared to 1.5 million deaths [25,100 in Germany] during the influenza wave 2017/18.
The danger is obviously no greater than that of many other viruses. There is no evidence that this was more than a false alarm.
------------------------
If this report is true, then it confirms what many of us already knew... And that the Nation did not deserved to be locked down for Covid-19. Or for something as bad as the Flu.

Your conclusions from the report are illogical and erroneous - it is based on current knowledge and data. Four months ago, all that was known was a novel virus with serious respiratory illness and secondary cardiovascular complications, and an apparent R0 of 2 for added fun. Flu is prepared for every year, and each season has a vaccine ready. They are NOT comparable, no matter how hard you try.

Jalap

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:18 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

------------------------

Considering it’s posted on a Russian site, I highly doubt the report is true.
https://euvsdisinfo.eu/an-unfounded-foundation/

Official death count is closing on on 400.000 by the way, and it’s very likely that less than 50 percent of the actual deaths were counted. And that WITH all the measures that were taken. Just imagine how the world and graveyards would look like if there wouldn’t have been any measures. That would be New York x10 at least, worldwide.

Of course, Russia will do anyting to make sure we’ll hit a 2nd wave. And do anything to get us divided. Be critical if what you read. Always.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:52 pm

If you have Type A Blood your at greater risk if you get coronavirus.

two studies now, one from Asia one from the United States, both concluded Type A blood patients bodies struggle more and are more likely to end up on a ventilator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/heal ... e=Homepage

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:11 am

Heather Yourex-West explains why the respected medical journal The Lancet is retracting its well-publicized study on hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfj5lTdQVXM

Oooooops!

Article with sourced data about this:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/04/la ... ump-inbox/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:20 am

The Lancet Retraction

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/articl ... 3620313246

The Truth comes out...

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 am

the truth has always been out there, just one less study exists. It's still too dangerous to use, you must be a bunker boy fan.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Reuters reports on the retraction from the most honored and respected report believed by the Scientific community...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahT8PrRlx8

trpmb6

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The Lancet Retraction

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/articl ... 3620313246

The Truth comes out...

So they were unable to verify the dataset because they wouldn't share the data due to client consent issues.

Not really something to dunk on.

Our independent peer reviewers informed us that Surgisphere would not transfer the full dataset, client contracts, and the full ISO audit report to their servers for analysis as such transfer would violate client agreements and confidentiality requirements. As such, our reviewers were not able to conduct an independent and private peer review and therefore notified us of their withdrawal from the peer-review process.

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Anyone remember how the Impeached President was taking hydroxychloroquine for the "fun" of it after many folks in the White House were exposed? It doesn't seem to help much at all.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/03/hyd ... tudy-says/

Approximately 12% of those given hydroxychloroquine developed Covid-19, compared to 14% who were given the vitamin folate as a placebo. There was no further benefit among patients who chose to take zinc or vitamin C. Nearly 40% of patients on hydroxychloroquine experienced side effects such as nausea, upset stomach, or diarrhea. However, the study did not see a significant increase in disturbances of heart rhythms, or an imbalance of deaths

The issue with this study though is that it was over the internet , so there still need to be more trials to prove what most know already. hydroxychloroquine isn't much help, if at all.

extender

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Derico wrote:

Viral loads in tropical countries have been tentatively found to be much lower than elsewhere.

Something to add to your theory, in my county in Florida, 18,224 cases and 722 deaths. We've been pretty much above 21C since mid March. Curve is starting to flatten. Who knows if the protests will provide an additional vector. We'll know soon enough.

trpmb6

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:18 pm

casinterest wrote:
Anyone remember how the Impeached President was taking hydroxychloroquine for the "fun" of it after many folks in the White House were exposed? It doesn't seem to help much at all.

Approximately 12% of those given hydroxychloroquine developed Covid-19, compared to 14% who were given the vitamin folate as a placebo. There was no further benefit among patients who chose to take zinc or vitamin C. Nearly 40% of patients on hydroxychloroquine experienced side effects such as nausea, upset stomach, or diarrhea. However, the study did not see a significant increase in disturbances of heart rhythms, or an imbalance of deaths

The issue with this study though is that it was over the internet , so there still need to be more trials to prove what most know already. hydroxychloroquine isn't much help, if at all.

Noone ever claimed it would prevent you from getting the virus, only that it would help lessen the severity of it. Bogus study.

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:26 pm

extender wrote:
Derico wrote:

Viral loads in tropical countries have been tentatively found to be much lower than elsewhere.

Something to add to your theory, in my county in Florida, 18,224 cases and 722 deaths. We've been pretty much above 21C since mid March. Curve is starting to flatten. Who knows if the protests will provide an additional vector. We'll know soon enough.

That's all well and good, but in Florida many of the places folks go in the summer, (Movies theatres, bars, Conventions, business meetings, Churches) are all social distancing.
Having lived in Florida myself, I can promise you many people hunker inside when the temperature spikes over 28 C during the day.

It should also be noted that the flu doesn't exhibit the same seasonality in Equitorial regions. It is based on the wet weather in monsoon areas, and rather equal in climates that are 50/50.

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:20 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Noone ever claimed it would prevent you from getting the virus, only that it would help lessen the severity of it. Bogus study.

Then why was Trump taking it ?

trpmb6

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:10 pm

casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Because it was being said that if taken earlier it can lessen the severity of it? That it may be more effective the earlier it was taken?

I mean there is no conspiracy here. There is anecdotal evidence it may work, some evidence that hey, maybe it doesn't. Up to the patient and their doctor to decide.

Its that way with any experimental treatment to a new disease. Try some things and see what happens. How this can be political is beyond me, only that Trump latched onto it so therefore we have to find a way to oppose it.

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:29 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Because it was being said that if taken earlier it can lessen the severity of it? That it may be more effective the earlier it was taken?

I mean there is no conspiracy here. There is anecdotal evidence it may work, some evidence that hey, maybe it doesn't. Up to the patient and their doctor to decide.

Its that way with any experimental treatment to a new disease. Try some things and see what happens. How this can be political is beyond me, only that Trump latched onto it so therefore we have to find a way to oppose it.

I just find it odd that Trump doesn't believe in using a mask, but will push a conspiracy theory drub treatment. Why take any precautions?

trpmb6

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 pm

casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I just find it odd that Trump doesn't believe in using a mask, but will push a conspiracy theory drub treatment. Why take any precautions?

If you can't figure that one out...

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Trump doesn't care right? It is just fake news to him. Look at today where he made all the reporters site closer together than social distancing.

Looks like he wants to kill his citizens and the economy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/media/wh ... index.html

flyguy89

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:18 pm

casinterest wrote:

Both sides had a role in politicizing the drug. On one hand you have Trump recklessly bloviating about it, and on the other a media all to eager to push anything to "own" or score one on Trump. Science needs to be guiding its use. This spat between Trump and the media has negatively impacted scientists' ability to study it. Hydroxychloroquine may very well prove to have some use against COVID, we really don't know yet. But it would be a shame if petty politics slowed deployment of an effective treatment.

casinterest

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:21 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Both sides had a role in politicizing the drug. On one hand you have Trump recklessly bloviating about it, and on the other a media all to eager to push anything to "own" or score one on Trump. Science needs to be guiding its use. This spat between Trump and the media has negatively impacted scientists' ability to study it. Hydroxychloroquine may very well prove to have some use against COVID, we really don't know yet. But it would be a shame if petty politics slowed deployment of an effective treatment.

Petty politics have already screwed over social distancing. The most effective treatment known to date.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Washington Post report today (Saturday) on emerging trends throughout the world seem to indicate that avoiding crowds indoors, a little social distancing out doors, monitoring, testing, and tracing contacts can result in dramatically fewer new cases (must mean R0<1). Yet undetermined or not discussed are schools, sport stadiums, public transit. My home county started doing all of this fairly early in March. As of April 6 we are experiencing a lot less than 1 new case per 100,000 people per day, 2 deaths total. People never stopped, or are going back to work, and thus far no increase, although a little could be expected.

It is fairly doable to reduce contacts by 75%, which evidently also reduces R0<1. A contact at one time was defined as being closer than 6 feet to another person for 10 minutes. I suspect I am experiencing, outside half a dozen people who are almost household, less than one contact a week. And us 'half dozen' still work at maintaining some distancing.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

bgm

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:49 am

And now Brazil has stopped publishing its total cases/deaths, because.... *checks notes*.... "the cumulative data did not reflect the current picture", Bolsonaro claims. :sarcastic:

Brazil has removed months of data on Covid-19 from a government website amid criticism of President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the outbreak.

The health ministry said it would now only be reporting cases and deaths in the past 24 hours, no longer giving a total figure as most countries do.

Mr Bolsonaro said the cumulative data did not reflect the current picture.

Brazil has the world's second-highest number of cases, and has recently had more new deaths than any other nation.

The Latin American country has more than 640,000 confirmed infections, but the number is believed to be much higher because of insufficient testing. More than 35,000 people have died, the third-highest toll in the world.

The far-right leader has been criticised for rejecting lockdown measures recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) and, on Friday, threatened to pull out of the body, accusing it of being a "partisan political organisation".

The president has repeatedly joined supporters in protests in recent months, ignoring social-distancing advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52952686

Let's look at the top 5 countries for Covid-19 cases:

1,920,061 US
672,846 Brazil
467,073 Russia
286,294 United Kingdom
247,195 India

Look at the leadership of those 5 countries. All of them hard right wing, nationalistic, populist, anti-science.
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:42 pm

My home state of New Jersey has seen the R number vary from 0.81 to 0.88 since May 30 even as pandemic restrictions have been eased.

Over the next 2-3 weeks and pending the R number continuing to stay below R 1, further easing of restrictions are planned. That included reopening of child care facilities (to allow people to go back to work, especially essential workers), re-opening with capacity limits, distancing and worker protections of in-person retail shopping (but not malls) like clothing stores of restraints mainly with outdoor seating and of Motor Vehicle Services.

Of course, there is the reality that many will back off social distancing, wearing masks, capacity controls with retail stores, but so far high percentages of persons are following advice to continue. There are concerns of the recent anti-racism protests causing spread of Covid-19 infections and our governor and health officials are encouraging protest participants to get tested to see if exposed and to protect others from infection.

airhansa

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:34 pm

bgm wrote:
And now Brazil has stopped publishing its total cases/deaths, because.... *checks notes*.... "the cumulative data did not reflect the current picture", Bolsonaro claims. :sarcastic:

Brazil has removed months of data on Covid-19 from a government website amid criticism of President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the outbreak.

The health ministry said it would now only be reporting cases and deaths in the past 24 hours, no longer giving a total figure as most countries do.

Mr Bolsonaro said the cumulative data did not reflect the current picture.

Brazil has the world's second-highest number of cases, and has recently had more new deaths than any other nation.

The Latin American country has more than 640,000 confirmed infections, but the number is believed to be much higher because of insufficient testing. More than 35,000 people have died, the third-highest toll in the world.

The far-right leader has been criticised for rejecting lockdown measures recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) and, on Friday, threatened to pull out of the body, accusing it of being a "partisan political organisation".

The president has repeatedly joined supporters in protests in recent months, ignoring social-distancing advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52952686

Let's look at the top 5 countries for Covid-19 cases:

1,920,061 US
672,846 Brazil
467,073 Russia
286,294 United Kingdom
247,195 India

Look at the leadership of those 5 countries. All of them hard right wing, nationalistic, populist, anti-science.

In most countries the left-wing would support the Swedish-style "liberal" approach, whereas the right-wing would support the Chinese-style "authoritarian" approach with closed borders.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:54 pm

both China and Sweden believe in science, they just used different approaches. Sweden was wrong, and at least admitted it. Europe and the United States would never do what China did. That would be too logical.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

spit it out. Trump can never be wrong, even when proven wrong he just doubles-down. He's very thin-skinned and vain. He can never wear a mask in public because he thinks it makes him look weak.

Taking a drug that is dangerous when one's obese and elderly, was troubling to me. I suspect his Dr. dose was very weak so that
he could brag he took it since he got backlash for promoting a dangerous drug. This drug is for Malaria. At the end of the day, this drug causes serious side effects for coronavirus patients so much so that FDA stopped people from taking it for coronavirus and they stop doing studies on it for the same reason.

so who cares if they pulled one study because of data? talk about being redundant and not relevant. but here we go having Trump fans thinking this is another conspiracy.