Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 7983
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 am

My relatively new car failed to start. Being the type of person that drives a car until the wheels fall off, when I get a new car, there has been a generation or 2 upgrade in technology.

So, I get into my car, and the first thing I notice is there is no ding-ding, no screens, no nothing. I press the button, and nothing. Nothing at all. Hell, the thing is so dead, I can't even open the tailgate (power locks).

Hmm, the last time I started it, there was no tell-tale clicking or slow-starting. Normal start.

I know it's electrical, but the battery is the last thing on my mind. I'm thinking a cable came off or the fusible link failed..something like that.

Well, long story short...too late...it was a dead battery. Jumped it, and then drove it to the dealer and got them to put a new one in...gratis.

Been thinking about one of those portable jump starters...similar to this. Unsurprisingly there are all sorts of devices out there with reviews ranging from crap to best thing since baklava.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:03 am

Not sure what good it is . Better off paying the 2.99 a month for a car service like I do on my cell plan. I got my friends car unlocked, my fiends's tire flat patched, and my own car jump started for much less than buying a charger that you have to remember to keep charged, and will only be needed once every 3-4 years on average.

Your battery must have had a bad cell. Those are the breaks, luckily it was a new car.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 7983
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 am

casinterest wrote:
Not sure what good it is . Better off paying the 2.99 a month for a car service like I do on my cell plan. I got my friends car unlocked, my fiends's tire flat patched, and my own car jump started for much less than buying a charger that you have to remember to keep charged, and will only be needed once every 3-4 years on average.

Your battery must have had a bad cell. Those are the breaks, luckily it was a new car.


Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of waiting on people, especially since when I need to get somewhere, I need to get there now because that's where I want to be and when I want to be there. You can call me impatient. Actually, I just hate to be reliant on other folks. I was lucky there was a guy in the parking lot that jumped me.

Also, I'll be doing a bit of travel in the next couple of weeks, and new battery or not, it'll be a while before I'm convinced it's not in the charging system or some other "weird new car" problem.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3147
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:15 am

Check out this guy, he really is my go to for household stuff, in this video he puts a number of different models through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12747
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:19 am

fr8mech wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Not sure what good it is . Better off paying the 2.99 a month for a car service like I do on my cell plan. I got my friends car unlocked, my fiends's tire flat patched, and my own car jump started for much less than buying a charger that you have to remember to keep charged, and will only be needed once every 3-4 years on average.

Your battery must have had a bad cell. Those are the breaks, luckily it was a new car.


Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of waiting on people, especially since when I need to get somewhere, I need to get there now because that's where I want to be and when I want to be there. You can call me impatient. Actually, I just hate to be reliant on other folks. I was lucky there was a guy in the parking lot that jumped me.

Also, I'll be doing a bit of travel in the next couple of weeks, and new battery or not, it'll be a while before I'm convinced it's not in the charging system or some other "weird new car" problem.


those things are plenty good. A smart phone battery provides enough juice to start a car. For Amazon rating i would always filter them for "verified pruchases" and check the 1 and 5 star ratings.

And your failure description sounds like cell failure in the starte battery. That can happen with a new car and new battery... i had that in 2009 with a far that was 4 weeks or so old..

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 7983
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:56 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Check out this guy, he really is my go to for household stuff, in this video he puts a number of different models through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA


Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12747
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:07 am

fr8mech wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Check out this guy, he really is my go to for household stuff, in this video he puts a number of different models through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA


Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.


which is good, unless you know one of those channels.... much is just marketing, where everything is awesome......

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3477
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 am

The one you linked to is the exact one I use. It says up to 6 liter petrol and 3 liter diesel but I use it to start the tractor when I leave the battery connnected (it inevitably drains in 3-4 days if not started). It has a 3.9liter/4cyl engine and starts first time from the starter, the issue is remembering to keep it charged...

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Not sure what good it is . Better off paying the 2.99 a month for a car service like I do on my cell plan. I got my friends car unlocked, my fiends's tire flat patched, and my own car jump started for much less than buying a charger that you have to remember to keep charged, and will only be needed once every 3-4 years on average.

Your battery must have had a bad cell. Those are the breaks, luckily it was a new car.


Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of waiting on people, especially since when I need to get somewhere, I need to get there now because that's where I want to be and when I want to be there. You can call me impatient. Actually, I just hate to be reliant on other folks. I was lucky there was a guy in the parking lot that jumped me.

Also, I'll be doing a bit of travel in the next couple of weeks, and new battery or not, it'll be a while before I'm convinced it's not in the charging system or some other "weird new car" problem.



Understood, but keeping it charged will be a pain if this was just a battery issue.
However I was just reminded of something to check. I had a bad switch in my glove compartment once upon a time, and it left the light bulb on, and it would slowly drain over a weekend, when I wasn't driving. Took me 2 months to figure that one out.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3147
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:10 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Check out this guy, he really is my go to for household stuff, in this video he puts a number of different models through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA


Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.


which is good, unless you know one of those channels.... much is just marketing, where everything is awesome......

best regards
Thomas


Here is the thing, a lot of people go straight to Amazon and the reviews there, the problem with that is, those reviews can be gamed as well. Someone I know developed a cream for dogs to help with sores that can develop in the folds of their skin, he put it up on Amazon and got nowhere, what he ended up doing was getting friends and family to buy (he reimbursed them) the cream, post 4 and 5 star reviews as "verified purchases" and then it took off. So be careful if a product only has a small number of reviews to start.

The guy I linked to does a fantastic job at digging into the products, the lengths he goes to to test them are at times mind blowing, from a geek entertainment perspective I highly recommend watching his videos.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:15 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.


which is good, unless you know one of those channels.... much is just marketing, where everything is awesome......

best regards
Thomas


Here is the thing, a lot of people go straight to Amazon and the reviews there, the problem with that is, those reviews can be gamed as well. Someone I know developed a cream for dogs to help with sores that can develop in the folds of their skin, he put it up on Amazon and got nowhere, what he ended up doing was getting friends and family to buy (he reimbursed them) the cream, post 4 and 5 star reviews as "verified purchases" and then it took off. So be careful if a product only has a small number of reviews to start.

The guy I linked to does a fantastic job at digging into the products, the lengths he goes to to test them are at times mind blowing, from a geek entertainment perspective I highly recommend watching his videos.


Hey Jet, what is the link to that Cream? Seriously. Dog is on antibiotics for a skin condition.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:17 pm

I purchased a Nekteck jump start unit about 5 years ago, and keep it in the car. I've never needed it for my own car, but I've helped three or four people with it. Every six months or so I bring it in the house and plug it in for a couple of hours to make sure it is fully charged. A couple of years ago, I purchased this one, an updated model from Nekteck through Amazon, that I got for the girlfriend to keep in her car so she doesn't get stranded somewhere.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3991
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I generally check out the 3 star reviews. A lot of the 1 star are cranks. 5 stars, particularly if there are only a few can be gamed, but less likely if there are a lot.

ps I keep one of those well rated jump starters in the car, mostly for jumping someone else. Also got all of the kids one, one year for Christmas. If your power goes out they will fill your cell phone/kindle several times over.
Last edited by frmrCapCadet on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm

fr8mech wrote:

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.


Same here, and I'm looking for a new jump starter, so I'm happy I stumbled onto this thread!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm

NWAESC wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'm too old to think about YouTube first when it comes to product reviews.


Same here, and I'm looking for a new jump starter, so I'm happy I stumbled onto this thread!




After having watched the video reviews, I am just wondering why they didn't build a compressor into it to inflate tires as well. Then we would have a great solution :) .
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:56 pm

The one I have now does that, but it doesn't hold a charge as well as I'd like.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8233
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:19 pm

You have to keep it charged for it to help you in need. If you leave it always plugged in, battery will run out of charge cycles.

My suggestion connect it to a 7-day programmable timer, and program it to turn on one(or more) days in a week.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10274
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Actually since you need it in your car, I say plug it into a spare charge port and just leave it there (for when you find yourself stuck at night in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 7983
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:53 pm

casinterest wrote:
Understood, but keeping it charged will be a pain if this was just a battery issue.


I’m not too worried about keeping it charged. I’ll charge it right before my trips. This isn’t meant to be a panacea, just an added layer of preparedness. Truth be known, I would have bought one earlier, but in the past, I’ve been able to tell when a battery was going bad, simply from the sound(s) the engine made when starting. Apparently, these new-fangled machines don’t give much warning. When the voltage drops below a certain point, they petulantly refuse to even acknowledge they’re there.

casinterest wrote:
However I was just reminded of something to check. I had a bad switch in my glove compartment once upon a time, and it left the light bulb on, and it would slowly drain over a weekend, when I wasn't driving. Took me 2 months to figure that one out.


The car has a battery minder system that supposed to shut everything down after 10 minutes with the engine off. Since all the interior lights are on that system, I suspect the glove box light is also. But, I get your point.

casinterest wrote:
After having watched the video reviews, I am just wondering why they didn't build a compressor into it to inflate tires as well. Then we would have a great solution .


I saw a few of those, but they tend to get big and bulky.

Tugger wrote:
Actually since you need it in your car, I say plug it into a spare charge port and just leave it there (for when you find yourself stuck at night in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery).

Tugg


Truth be known, I’m wary of keeping a lithium battery “anything” plugged in for an extended period. Especially, in a car that’s kept outside in the summer.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12940
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:54 am

Dead battery on a new car, that's not great. Did they test it and diagnose it as bad (aside from empty) ?

I had an issue like that with my previous company car and it was the car that had a problem, it killed 3 batteries in 3 years. And forced me to drive the longer way home to keep it charged (I live close to my workplace).

For my personal car with a dead battery I bought a jump starter last summer, I took one with a lead battery I figured it would last longer (maybe wrong on that). It also has a compressor but that doesn't really work. I thought my dead battery would charge during a long trip (car I barely use outside of vacations) but I was wrong, it was totally dead, so I ended up jump starting it 4 times during the trip, the jump starter saved my bacon. There is a cigarette lighter cable so you can charge it back while driving.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 7983
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am

Aesma wrote:
Dead battery on a new car, that's not great. Did they test it and diagnose it as bad (aside from empty) ?


The dude used a handheld tester that read 225A on a 650CCA battery. So, pretty much a dead battery. I had 13.4V at the post with the engine running, so the charging circuit is working. No reason for the battery to discharge. I'm slowly accepting that the battery had a dead cell.

Aesma wrote:
, it was totally dead


I seem to recall from A&P school, lo these many, many years ago, that a lead-acid battery can only be dead a small, finite amount of times before it becomes truly dead, and incapable of taking or holding a charge.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Francoflier and 23 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos