Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Racism in the World

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:48 pm

How come there are never any anti-racism protests in say India, South Korea, Taiwan or Vietnam (to name a few) while it seems that every so many years there is a protest in Europe and North America?
Is there no racism in Asia? Only The West? Or do people in Asia not care about racism and is it a 100% Western thing?
I can't believe they are all saints in Asia, nor will I believe all governments in Asia a super repressive and forbid any protest of any kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... d_protests
Last edited by Dieuwer on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Re: Racism in the World

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
How come there are never any anti-racism protests in say India, South Korea, Taiwan or Vietnam (to name a few) while it seems that every so many years there is a protest in Europe and North America?
Is there no racism in Asia? Only The West? Or do people in Asia not care about racism and is it a 100% Western thing?
I can't believe they are all saints in Asia, nor will I believe all governments in Asia a super repressive and forbid any protest of any kind.

Have you seen who is in power in India? This cannot possibly be taken seriously...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 am

It seems like it in part due to the Mono-Culture of many countries in Asia. At least that is what this author is claiming about Japan:

Why is racism so big in Japan?
It’s not just some Japanese shops that try to bar foreigners – schools and landlords can be equally unwelcoming. So maybe it’s not surprising a government adviser has called for apartheid, South Africa style

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics ... -big-japan

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:16 am

Looks like it is a similar story in South Korea, according to the New York Times:

None of this is surprising given South Korea’s education system. For decades, children, myself included, were taught to believe that this is a single-blooded nation — dubbed danil minjok in Korean. This myth of racial purity was promoted to foster national unity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/opin ... acism.html

Kent350787

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:47 am

There is desperate racism in parts of Asia - look at the discrimination against Rohingya or Uighur peoples. But there is limiteed opportunioty for active local support in the countries in which the discrimination occurs.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

winginit

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 am

Dieuwer wrote:
It seems like it in part due to the Mono-Culture of many countries in Asia. At least that is what this author is claiming about Japan:

It’s not just some Japanese shops that try to bar foreigners – schools and landlords can be equally unwelcoming. So maybe it’s not surprising a government adviser has called for apartheid, South Africa style

I spent several years living as a Caucasian person in some of Asia's larger cities (namely Tokyo and Jakarta). I experienced notable and frequent discrimination over the years as a product of societal racism, and while it was notably less than what I experienced in the more rural areas of Japan and Indonesia, it's merely a consequence of societies that have lacked racial diversity for thousands of years. I don't blame anyone for it, but homogeneity is certainly the prevailing factor.

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 am

winginit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I spent several years living as a Caucasian person in some of Asia's larger cities (namely Tokyo and Jakarta). I experienced notable and frequent discrimination over the years as a product of societal racism, and while it was notably less than what I experienced in the more rural areas of Japan and Indonesia, it's merely a consequence of societies that have lacked racial diversity for thousands of years. I don't blame anyone for it, but homogeneity is certainly the prevailing factor.

I understand. But the question is not so much IF there is racism, as well as WHY there are NO protests against it?

zakuivcustom

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 am

Dieuwer wrote:
winginit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I understand. But the question is not so much IF there is racism, as well as WHY there are NO protests against it?

There is simply zero political force driving people to protest.

Plus minorities can be VERY minor at places. In Japan or South Korea, for example, you are talking about something like 2% total of the population. Compare this to, let say African-American in US (13%).

If you want an example? Just a week before the George Floyd incident, the HKPF actually did almost the same exact thing to a South Asian. The number of protest? Zero, bc most HKer heavily discriminate against the South Asian population in HK. All these with heavy anti-police (as part of anti-govt) protest since last year.

winginit wrote:

And I thought Caucasian already have it better when it come to racism at least in East Asia.

winginit

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:41 am

Dieuwer wrote:
winginit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

In the United States and Europe you see not only racism, but racists acts that in the eyes of many (myself included) warrant protest. With the obvious exception of China, you simply don't see these types of racists acts as frequently in Asia. So a restaurant owner turns me away - who cares - it's not like I'm going to protest, and it's not as if the Tokyo police are beating me up for not being of Japanese decent.

stl07

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:47 am

Looks like some of you haven't been paying attention to the numerous threads about Muslims rights in India and all the protests
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Kno

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:03 am

Dieuwer wrote:
winginit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Have you not noticed that countries where such protests are most common are both melting pots and global media hubs?

America was largely built on slavery and has a particularly strong history of racial oppression. Europeans are largely involved and those countries are more so melting pots than Asian countries. Not to mention the differences in political systems.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt in this thread but I have to wonder if this thread is deliberately obtuse.

Regardless this forum runs thick with racist undertones and it’s time someone mentions it. Literally any thread about a race issue in the United States is flooded with folks finding subtle or not so subtle ways to blame the blatantly oppressed for being oppressed.

Virtual737

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 am

I live in Asia. There is racism here for sure, but the ramifications of it are not life threatening and hardly even problematic. Let them be ignorant.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:20 am

Dieuwer wrote:
winginit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

There are occasionally large scale protests in Japan but there have not been violent confrontations with police since communist students rioted in Japanese universities in the 1960s. The current generation is much much more passive.

As others have indicated, populations of those discriminated against are too small to have any impact via protest. There is also a hierarchy of non-Japanese discrimination in Japan - white foreigners are discriminated against for certain but definitely the least, followed by middle easterners moreso, followed by blacks and south asians most. Probably worst-treated amongst foreigners are Brazilians. Koreans and Taiwanese are discriminated against less than SE Asians and mainland Chinese, though HKers and Singaporeans are generally well-liked unless they bring up WW2. Filipinos are seen as ‘dirty’ and likely to be visa overstayers, which is silly considering many underground Japanese businesses prefer hiring them.

Older Japanese are often still discriminatory toward Ryukyu islanders and Japanese with family names that are ethnically Korean or belonging to a subcaste historically associated with gravediggers and funeral homes - such folks were barred from most classes of employment and even education until reforms in the 1960s. They believed people with such family names were ‘dirty’ and would poison others’ bloodlines if they married into ‘clean’ families.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dahlgardo

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:03 am

Why do everybody now think, that racism is the no 1 problem in the world, and that any difference in between arbitrary selection of groups is mainly due to racism?

Is there anyone here who has read some of Thomas Sowells books this matter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hmTRT8tb4

One of the biggest issues among blacks in the US is the fact, they come from single parent homes. Almost 3/4 of black children are raised by a single parent, and usually the father is abcent.
There is plenty of data to support this.

By ethnic groups, Asians has the highest income in the US. Is that due to asian priviledge or asian racism?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/233324/median-household-income-in-the-united-states-by-race-or-ethnic-group/

People need to get over the notion, that any differences between "groups" is mainly due to oppression and priviledge of others.
That way of thinking belongs in a marxist world view, and we all know what kind of societies that produce.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

Braybuddy

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 am

I don't know why people are surprised by racism, which, sadly, is everywhere. As humans, we are inherently tribal. We identify with groups we are a part of, be it race, place of birth, religion, gender, sexuality or age, as well as groupings that can sometimes change over our lifetimes, such as politics, football, music and other cultural identifiers. The flip side of this coin is the open dislike -- or even hate -- of other, or opposing tribes, which can often be passionate and unreasonable. We can manage it to a certain extent, but we will never eliminate it.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:44 am

Dahlgardo wrote:
Why do everybody now think, that racism is the no 1 problem in the world, and that any difference in between arbitrary selection of groups is mainly due to racism?

Is there anyone here who has read some of Thomas Sowells books this matter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hmTRT8tb4

One of the biggest issues among blacks in the US is the fact, they come from single parent homes. Almost 3/4 of black children are raised by a single parent, and usually the father is abcent.
There is plenty of data to support this.

By ethnic groups, Asians has the highest income in the US. Is that due to asian priviledge or asian racism?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/233324/median-household-income-in-the-united-states-by-race-or-ethnic-group/

People need to get over the notion, that any differences between "groups" is mainly due to oppression and priviledge of others.
That way of thinking belongs in a marxist world view, and we all know what kind of societies that produce.

Who said it is the "#1 problem"? That's a bizarre supposition. By any measure economic inequality, overpopulation, and environmental damage are the most serious issues. But inequality has some relationships to discrimination, and those should be addressed in societies claiming to be just and colorblind.

zakuivcustom

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:

I would like to point out the wrongs about this:
1. The term "Asian" in US is so board that you can't even define racism from within. You really think Chinese (especially the older one) doesn't discriminate against the Indians? It is nowhere as bad as race violence, but trust me, racism certainly exist.
2. Even within the Asian group there are disparity. Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Indian/Pakistani/Arabs in general? Sure, most are well off. Cambodian/Vietnamese/Hmong/Burmese? Not so much.

Side note - regarding India, anyone from India will tell you that there is no single "Indian" race. A Tamil and a Gujarati and a Bengali doesn't necessarily like each other, either. It is just that in US each groups are not big enough to distinguished from one another from the view of an average American.

airhansa

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Another reason is that ethnic minorities in Asia tend to have homelands in another part of Asia, so often tolerate the racism on the basis that their homelands area also racist. The only exception to this is the Muslim community which is exceptionally vocal/aggressive in fighting in politics for some sort of influence.

Jetty

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:48 pm

stl07 wrote:
Looks like some of you haven't been paying attention to the numerous threads about Muslims rights in India and all the protests

The question was about racism, not religion.

airhansa

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Jetty wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Muslims are considered as an ethnicity in basically all of Asia.

Jetty

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Also let’s not forget some of the most racist countries are in Africa. Liberia i.e. even has a racist constitution that only allows for negros to gain citizenship.
Last edited by Jetty on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:03 pm

airhansa wrote:
Jetty wrote:
stl07 wrote:

This makes literally no sense whatsoever especially in India and Pakistan as they were divided based on religion, not on ethnicity. Punjabis i.e. live in India and Pakistan and there is a large number of Muslim, Sikh and Hindus among them.

airhansa

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Jetty wrote:
airhansa wrote:
Jetty wrote:

This makes literally no sense whatsoever especially in India and Pakistan as they were divided based on religion, not on ethnicity. Punjabis i.e. live in India and Pakistan and there is a large number of Muslim, Sikh and Hindus among them.

Yes but within those communities are ethnic divisions where "Muslims" are an ethnicity. The Ottomans also left a similar concept in Eastern Europe where Muslims are also an ethnicity. And also Pakistan was historically a dubious territory anyway straddling India and the Middle East.

Jetty

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 pm

airhansa wrote:
Jetty wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Yes but within those communities are ethnic divisions where "Muslims" are an ethnicity. The Ottomans also left a similar concept in Eastern Europe where Muslims are also an ethnicity. And also Pakistan was historically a dubious territory anyway straddling India and the Middle East.

How can there be an ethnic division among people who have the same phenotype? :? It’s a cultural and religious division mostly. You could call that discrimination, but not racism.

airhansa

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Jetty wrote:
airhansa wrote:
Jetty wrote:

How can there be an ethnic division among people who have the same phenotype? :? It’s a cultural and religious division mostly. You could call that discrimination, but not racism.

Have you ever looked at race in Asia and Europe? It's not all clear cut. And the point that I'm trying to make is that Muslims are viewed as an ethnicity throughout Asia and Eastern Europe, and then to act as an ethnicity too. History has given the Muslims strong cultural differences from their surrounding communities. And "racism" is widely used in Europe in a similar way.

Francoflier

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 pm

There is definitely quite a lot of racism in Asia. It's even institutionalized in some places.

China is pretty bad. The CCP is essentially embarked on a decades-long campaign of ethnic cleansing across the nation.
Parts of the countries that are inhabited by minorities are slowly populated by han ethnics until they become a majority and pretty much run the place. It's usually pretty 'soft' and surreptitious, but sometimes not so much, as in the case of northwest China...

Just ask the black immigrants of Guangzhou how they are being treated. It's honestly not far from 1950's America, especially with China's particular kind of 'justice' system.

Japan is also not very welcoming of foreigners. In this case, I believe that they mostly try to protect their very peculiar values and customs which foreigners have trouble adapting to.
That said, given their ageing population, they basically have no choice but to open the doors to immigration a bit and it is now not uncommon to see foreigners, mostly from the rest of Asia, living and working in Japan.

I believe South Korea is somewhat similar to Japan in that regard, though maybe not as extreme and minus the age pyramid issue.

In Asia, Malaysia is an interesting example of a country where 3 main ethnicities live alongside one another in relatively peace and stability, though there are tensions sometimes.

Of note is the fact that unlike the US, in most of these countries, law enforcement is much more pragmatic and less hot-headed and temperamental than in the US.
Racism exists everywhere. What makes it flare up in the US is the absolutely childish and unprofessional way the police deals with some individuals, especially when they belong to a certain race.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

zakuivcustom

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:24 pm

Francoflier wrote:
In Asia, Malaysia is an interesting example of a country where 3 main ethnicities live alongside one another in relatively peace and stability, though there are tensions sometimes.

In Malaysia there is the "Malay First" policy, though, which itself is both discriminating but also sooth the racial problem. Without such policy the tension between Malay and Chinese would be much higher as Chinese control most of the economy. On the flip side, it led to a brain drain among Chinese in Malaysia, with Singapore being the #1 beneficiary.

Francoflier wrote:
Japan is also not very welcoming of foreigners. In this case, I believe that they mostly try to protect their very peculiar values and customs which foreigners have trouble adapting to.
That said, given their ageing population, they basically have no choice but to open the doors to immigration a bit and it is now not uncommon to see foreigners, mostly from the rest of Asia, living and working in Japan.

I believe South Korea is somewhat similar to Japan in that regard, though maybe not as extreme and minus the age pyramid issue.

Both Japan and SK are extremely ethnic-centric. Korean even go its way out to discriminate against the ethnic Korean from NE China that are now living in SK. Go ask average Seoulite what they feel about the Daelim area is a start.

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Looks like people are missing the point about this thread.
The question is not if there is racism in Asia or wherever, it is about why they are no/less protests.

YokoTsuno

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
The question is not if there is racism in Asia or wherever, it is about why they are no/less protests.
There's a simple explanation.

- Korea and Japan are too homogeneous, racial issues at least within their own borders still need to be "invented". So there's nothing to protest about and what happens in the rest of the world is their problem. Nevertheless this can change in the future especially Japan who's population is in rapid decline.
- Indonesia had and still has violent racial and ethnic clashes and ditto protests. It's therefore not true that such protests do not exist in this part of Asia.
- Same for Malaysia albeit to a lesser extent. It has considerable ethnic tensions and had protests in the past especially by the Tamil minority. So far its Chinese minority has not been part of these protests, which I believe is mostly attributed to the fact that they are the most affluent ethnic group, have a very pragmatic take on life and have an easy escape route, Singapore.
- In Singapore such protests would immediately be stopped by the government.
- In China the protesters would end up in detention and re-education camps. Ask the Uighur minority
- In North-Korea, foreigners are too exotic, if they make it out alive that is. And ooh, try organising a protest where the leader has no qualms killing its own family member.

Leaves us with the question why Asians do not participate in 'Black lives matter'. Well, Asian nations don't like foreign countries to get involved in their domestic affairs, probably partly cultural, partly colonial history and there's therefore a reciprocal general attitude not to get involved in other countries' problems, especially political. This is a US problem.

Then there's the issue of recognizing racism. In large parts of Asia institutional racism is still practised, even the norm. What protest are you talking about when you don't even recognize the existence of racism.
Last edited by YokoTsuno on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Racism is way, way worse outside the west. It's just much less obvious for several reasons.

First, it takes place far away, both literally and figuratively. The US is culturally close and speak languages that Europeans understand. Rural China where black people are heavily discriminated is not.

Second, it's less obvious. In the west it is mostly a black and white skin issue. In other places it is way less obvious. Without knowing about it, if you landed in Rwanda tomorrow, would you notice the faintest difference between the Tutsi's and Hutus? They have the same skin colour, but that's not what set them apart. In Myanmar, can you tell a Rohingya and a Burmese apart if you haven't studied the issue beforehand? Probably not. The black vs white issue is just more obvious.

Third, they are less democratic, more autocratic, lack free press, won't admit western free press and so on.

Dieuwer wrote:

Lack of freedom and rights, and way more brutal regimes. Try to arrange a pro-muslim march in India or a pro-Christian demo in a Middle Eastern country. It will be swarmed with violent counter-protesters, police, military, secret police and whats worse.
For what it's worth, it's the freedoms and human rights provided to minorities in the west that allow them to protest.

UpNAWAy

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:36 pm

There is no better place in the world for a non White to live than in the USA which makes all of this seem nonsensical at times. It is much more a political problem in the US than an actual; race one.

anrec80

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:39 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

I wouldn’t claim racism (or any other form of discriminating one human over another) a 100% Western thing. However, such things accompany today’s Western European nations pretty much throughout their entire history - starting with crusades, and such pages of their history as African slave trade, then nazism.

There are other nations though who had or still have similar things - caste system in India comes to mind (which, in my view, is a very similar thing).

Today however, this topic is too often an used to gain some competitive advantage, used to gain visibility, political points, etc.

Dieuwer wrote:

Those countries are too homogeneous. Plus, in their history they had little contact with other nations (their neighbors aside) - unlike their Western European peers were actively exploring the world via crusades, trade sailings, etc.

anrec80

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Could it be that nobody organized anything there simply?

airhansa

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:03 am

Another point that needs to be made:

The majority of people in Asia currently vocal about the BLM movement are those with connections to the US. The vast majority of the public, including youth, do not care about the BLM movement. In order words, the left wing in the West tends to focus on racism against select groups (Blacks, Muslims, Hispanics) but foregoes other racisms do they are never fought.

Most minority groups in Asia aren't really picked up on by the western left wing media and political parties.