Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rfields5421

Re: VP candidates

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not sure what's the difference, but of course in my country changing the constitution is a regular thing

The US Constitution requires that three-fourths (75%) of the state legislatures vote to approve an amendment. That means 38 of the 50 states have to approve the amendment.

A very difficult process to get a proposed amendment past Congress by a super-majority of 66% to put an amendment before the states.

There is no popular support by a vast majority of US citizens for amending either the term limitations, not the age requirements. It won't happen.
Not all who wander are lost.

alfa164

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
it is very clear that a person elected twice to the office of President CANNOT take the office again.
That's not what it says. It says he cannot run for a third term or run for more than one term if he's taken over from a president with more than 2 years left in his term. Obama wouldn't be running for president. He'd be VP. Any promotion is just speculation. He could take over, if need be, get a new VP appointed, and then step aside.

The 22nd Amendment does not say it explicitly as you mentioned. However the 12th Amendment is very clear
But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

A person who has been elected twice to the office of President is "constitutionally ineligible to the office of President" and cannot run for Vice President.

It isn't even quite that clear: Whether he is eligible to run as a VP candidate is a Constitutional question that has been discussed by legal scholars ad infinitum. For starters, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution says:

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

That seems to be loophole; he would not be elected to the office of President, but to the office of Vice President. So far, so good - and as you pointed out, the 12th Amendment reads:

“...no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.”

The real legal issue - and it would have to be eventually sorted-out by the Courts - is whether "...constitutionally ineligible to the office of the President.." means ineligible to run for that office, or ineligible to serve in that office.

My specialty is not Constitutional Law, but my reading says that Obama could very well be eligible to run. Knowing this would, sooner or later, wind up all the way in the Supreme Court, and knowing the extremely political make-up of that court today, I would have to say.... all bets are off.

At this point - unless the "birthers" are going to contend that Obama is actually a woman in disguise - it is academic anyway. It is, however, and interesting topic for debate - and that debate probably will never be settled until someone actually tries to make the run.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Bricktop wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Some high raking person on Team Biden said Biden will only consider women for the vice presidency. That does not mean it will happen. The right freaking out because of one post is fascinating.

Wait what? Biden said so HIMSELF, out loud during the debates. I know why you're trying to spin away from that, but you really need to find a better hill to blame "the right" from.

Every candidate said a lot of things during the debate they ended up walking back. There are plenty of women out there who are qualified for the job of president. Let's face it: someone who is VP must also have qualifications for president, just in case. On paper, Mike Pence is much more qualified to be president than the occupant of the White House. I still would not vote for him but he is much more qualified. Back to my point:

Every candidate says things during debates they walk back later in the campaign or during their tenure in office. Now that he has clinched the presidential nomination, the list of VP candidates probably includes a man.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

alfa164

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm

seb146 wrote:
Every candidate says things during debates they walk back later in the campaign or during their tenure in office. Now that he has clinched the presidential nomination, the list of VP candidates probably includes a man.

I doubt it. While Biden may wish he had never made the promise to select a woman - having a larger field of candidates if gender were not an issue - I doubt he would walk back his promise. One of his main campaign points will be that he tells the truth and keeps his promises, in sharp contrast to the current pretender-to-the-throne in the White House.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:37 pm

alfa164 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I doubt it. While Biden may wish he had never made the promise to select a woman - having a larger field of candidates if gender were not an issue - I doubt he would walk back his promise. One of his main campaign points will be that he tells the truth and keeps his promises, in sharp contrast to the current pretender-to-the-throne in the White House.

I also see all the same names being thrown around but I wonder if the list has "off the radar" types. I don't remember but I don't think any of us saw Tim Kane as Hillary's VP nominee, so I am wondering if the list includes Michelle Obama and Stacy Abrams but also women we would not think of. Heidi Heitkamp or Claire McCaskill or someone like that.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:48 pm

alfa164 wrote:
It isn't even quite that clear: Whether he is eligible to run as a VP candidate is a Constitutional question that has been discussed by legal scholars ad infinitum. For starters, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution says:

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

That seems to be loophole; he would not be elected to the office of President, but to the office of Vice President. So far, so good - and as you pointed out, the 12th Amendment reads:

“...no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.”

The real legal issue - and it would have to be eventually sorted-out by the Courts - is whether "...constitutionally ineligible to the office of the President.." means ineligible to run for that office, or ineligible to serve in that office.

My specialty is not Constitutional Law, but my reading says that Obama could very well be eligible to run. Knowing this would, sooner or later, wind up all the way in the Supreme Court, and knowing the extremely political make-up of that court today, I would have to say.... all bets are off.

At this point - unless the "birthers" are going to contend that Obama is actually a woman in disguise - it is academic anyway. It is, however, and interesting topic for debate - and that debate probably will never be settled until someone actually tries to make the run.

Using logic, if you asked people what are the requirements that make eligible to run for president, they'll usually point to the ones described in Article II. But again, the 22nd Amendment adds an additional layer to the eligibility criteria by restricting two term presidents from the office ever again. It says nothing about the VP. The question is whether the Amendments are meant to be independent of each other unless explicitly addressed (see 18th and 21st Amendments) or whether they only apply in the order in which they come.

Think of this as a lease agreement. You have a base lease agreement that stipulates the terms of the lease and you also have some addenda which expand on details from the base agreement. If after a few months of the agreement being in place another addendum needs to be added, it will almost always tell you what it's amending or expanding while making a reference that everything else remains intact. The 22nd Amendment failed to do this since it says no person shall be ELECTED to the office of president. The word ELECTED is the problem here. Had they used another word, such as sworn or accede, it will have likely carried bigger weight. Obama could have run for a 3rd term and been elected, but the 22nd Amendment would bar him from taking the oath of office and serve his 3rd term (therefore, he wouldn't run). Likewise, if he runs for VP, he could serve the term but he'd have to pass up the oath if the president was unable to carry out the duties. In such a case, parties would not even bother because they would risk the presidency falling to the Speaker, which could be from another party. Additionally, this also safeguards against the potential scenario where a former president is nominated to lead a department and the line of succession demands they take the oath. Imagine being nominated to SoS, survive an attempt against the government but the president, VP, Speaker, and PPT of the Senate are all dead; as the 4th in line, Obama would be sworn in.

Of course, if the intent is to discourage a president from running to the executive office again (as a VP) and any chance of them getting close to the Oval Office in any other capacity, then the amendment could have had a third section (which would be Section 2, pushing the existing Section 2 down to Section 3) which states that a person that meets the criteria of Section 1 is also ineligible to SERVE as vice-president or accede to the presidency through the line of succession (effectively closing the loophole by not allowing them to be elected to either the presidency or vice-presidency, be appointed as vice-president, or be sworn in as president in the event that they're high in the line of succession and it's their turn).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

apodino

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm

I don't think he would pick her, but I found this article from the hill about Condoleeza Rice apropos.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

But while Rice actually would make a lot of sense for Biden, I doubt he would pick her and I doubt she would say yes. She seems pretty content with the Stanford gig, not to mention being able to play rounds at Augusta National as a member.

In sort of a related story, there is a lot of talk that Biden is trying to get the endorsement of George W. Bush. It is crystal clear that Bush will not support Trump, and a Biden endorsement could be the all clear that some never trump voters need to actually pull the lever for Biden. Naturally Trump wants this as well, as then Trump will cast both Bush and Biden as warmongers leading us into the Iraq war. (Which is a reason that a Bush endorsement may also hurt Biden from the left as well.)

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
I don't remember but I don't think any of us saw Tim Kane as Hillary's VP nominee,

A few people called it. We just didn't think she'd choose him. That was a very uninspiring ticket IMO.

seb146 wrote:
so I am wondering if the list includes Michelle Obama and Stacy Abrams but also women we would not think of.

Michelle Obama has already shut down talk and after being in the spotlight for 8 years and more, I bet she's had enough.

Stacey Abrams just needs to put up a sign in space that says "Pick Me". While she is being considered, she's been playing a stupid game of remaining aloof while also clamoring for the job. I've already made my opinion about her known. If Biden picks her, I'll hold my nose and vote for the ticket. Give me someone with a proven electoral record.

seb146 wrote:
Heidi Heitkamp or Claire McCaskill or someone like that.
They won't bring anything to the table and may end up alienating POC. If MO were still a swing state, I'd say to bring McCaskill as a contender, but given that both ND and MO are bright red and uber white (except STL and KC, but those are dots in a sea of red) and they both lost their races in a bad year for Republicans*, Biden would be wasting his time.

*These states just finished realigning their Senate seats, along with IN. FL was a very close race so not including it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Bricktop

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Some high raking person on Team Biden said Biden will only consider women for the vice presidency. That does not mean it will happen. The right freaking out because of one post is fascinating.

Wait what? Biden said so HIMSELF, out loud during the debates. I know why you're trying to spin away from that, but you really need to find a better hill to blame "the right" from.

Every candidate said a lot of things during the debate they ended up walking back. There are plenty of women out there who are qualified for the job of president. Let's face it: someone who is VP must also have qualifications for president, just in case. On paper, Mike Pence is much more qualified to be president than the occupant of the White House. I still would not vote for him but he is much more qualified. Back to my point:

That will take some kind of magical walking back. It was not some throwaway line on some minor issue. It was about his VP, the potential POTUS. 100% it is going to be a woman. What's he going to say? Yeah, I know I have said there are 15 amazingly qualified female candidates for Veep but I am going to go with a man instead. No chance. None.

apodino

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Bricktop wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

That will take some kind of magical walking back. It was not some throwaway line on some minor issue. It was about his VP, the potential POTUS. 100% it is going to be a woman. What's he going to say? Yeah, I know I have said there are 15 amazingly qualified female candidates for Veep but I am going to go with a man instead. No chance. None.

Exactly. Not to mention the heat he would take from just about every feminist group out there for doing so, and he needs all of them against Trump.

Tugger

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 pm

And quite frankly there are plenty of women that are qualified to be vice president of the USA.

One thing, we are focusing only on "political women", what about women outside of politics? People have mentioned Michelle Obama, which I think is a non-starter and I don't think she would want it. And of course some have mentioned Oprah, which is another person that has no real desire to be VP.

What others can you think of?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

afcjets

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:18 pm

If Joe wants to win he should pick Tulsi, but he will most likely choose Selena instead.

LittleFokker

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:59 pm

apodino wrote:
I don't think he would pick her, but I found this article from the hill about Condoleeza Rice apropos.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

But while Rice actually would make a lot of sense for Biden, I doubt he would pick her and I doubt she would say yes. She seems pretty content with the Stanford gig, not to mention being able to play rounds at Augusta National as a member.

In sort of a related story, there is a lot of talk that Biden is trying to get the endorsement of George W. Bush. It is crystal clear that Bush will not support Trump, and a Biden endorsement could be the all clear that some never trump voters need to actually pull the lever for Biden. Naturally Trump wants this as well, as then Trump will cast both Bush and Biden as warmongers leading us into the Iraq war. (Which is a reason that a Bush endorsement may also hurt Biden from the left as well.)

Considering that the Dems have a very realistic chance of taking back the Senate, and there's also a very realistic chance the Senate ends up 50-50, no way in hell Biden would be allowed to bring on the ticket a Republican who could be the potential tiebreaking vote on legislation. Ginsburg and Thomas may not make it to the 2024 election, so there's' at least two Supreme Court seats on the line (plus potentially more if the idea of expanding the number of seats gets serious consideration). With all the fuckery McConnell has done to break the Senate, the Democrats need all the Senate firepower they can get.

As cute as the idea is of a bipartisan ticket, no way in hell either party would consider doing in. If Rice wants back in the game, she can run for office herself.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

SteelChair

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:13 am

Whomever Biden picks will become President as he is clearly cognitively impaired.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:54 am

SteelChair wrote:
Whomever Biden picks will become President as he is clearly cognitively impaired.

They are both impaired, but any American with their head on straight knows the one spouting off idiotic conspiracy theories is worse.

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1 ... 08035?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

maverick4002

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:18 am

seb146 wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I agree with what you are saying in theory, but no, not on this specific case. Look how many articles are being written about potential female VPs. He backed himself into a corner with that statement and needs to stick with it or else he will lose a lot of people. Alot of folks are already suspect about him and about the way he got elected (DNC played a part just like they did with Hilary in 2016) so there are people not that into him. He needs to stick with a woman, preferably a woman of color especially as he would be nowhere without the black vote.

afcjets

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

apodino wrote:

It actually wouldn't surprise me because it's strange how all the never Trump commercials and Republican endorsements of Biden are coming out now. If this happens, they can say their endorsement for Joe came before her. I think the original plan was for Mitt Romney but it backfired on him and they realized they needed a woman. If this happens I think a deal was made and both parties decided it's their best hope of getting rid of Trump and that is all that matters to them.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:43 pm

afcjets wrote:
apodino wrote:

It actually wouldn't surprise me because it's strange how all the never Trump commercials and Republican endorsements of Biden are coming out now. If this happens, they can say their endorsement for Joe came before her. I think the original plan was for Mitt Romney but it backfired on him and they realized they needed a woman. If this happens I think a deal was made and both parties decided it's their best hope of getting rid of Trump and that is all that matters to them.

If so, that can only be a good thing. As TR implored, it is imperative that we are behind our country, not merely the POTUS.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:01 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
apodino wrote:

Considering that the Dems have a very realistic chance of taking back the Senate, and there's also a very realistic chance the Senate ends up 50-50, no way in hell Biden would be allowed to bring on the ticket a Republican who could be the potential tiebreaking vote on legislation. Ginsburg and Thomas may not make it to the 2024 election, so there's' at least two Supreme Court seats on the line (plus potentially more if the idea of expanding the number of seats gets serious consideration). With all the fuckery McConnell has done to break the Senate, the Democrats need all the Senate firepower they can get.

As cute as the idea is of a bipartisan ticket, no way in hell either party would consider doing in. If Rice wants back in the game, she can run for office herself.

Bipartisanship is a thing you use for some cabinet position or to run an agency, to appeal to the politicians on the other side, not to win an election.

SteelChair wrote:

Who will remove him from office ?

I think the situation is disgraceful, and would also be with Biden, but I could see the chief of staff or someone like that running the country, with Biden doing the minimum (reading a teleprompter), that would still be much better than what Trump is doing, with all the crazy shit he says, and the tweeting.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

winginit

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:14 pm

Bricktop wrote:
It will end up being Stacey Abrams. He absolutely has to pick a woman of color, and while she is the least qualified of the CNN-anointed candidates, she therefore doesn't have the baggage of a record like the others suck as Sen. Harris. If it's not her, it could likely be Mayor Bottoms of Atlanta who performed decently with the protests.

If you actually believe that you'd do well to place some bets. A bet on Stacey Abrams would be quite profitable if it were to happen (it won't):

Harris: +100
Demings: +500
Warren: +900
Abrams: +900
Lance Bottoms: +1200

It will very, very likely be Kamala Harris, as we've known for some time now.

Tugger

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 pm

winginit wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

No, sorry I say no way it will be her. It makes no sense for both the baggage she carries (as a prosecutor and her attacks on Biden) and the fact that being from California, she creates no "home state votes".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

winginit

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Tugger wrote:
winginit wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

No, sorry I say no way it will be her. It makes no sense for both the baggage she carries (as a prosecutor and her attacks on Biden) and the fact that being from California, she creates no "home state votes".

Tugg

I mean again if that's your take then place your bet. Consensus is only meaningful until it isn't but the consensus here is strong and considers the pitfalls that you mention. I'll just throw in that additionally, the theory of 'home state votes' brought by a VP is shaky at best based on the evidence.

Bricktop

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:02 am

winginit wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
It will end up being Stacey Abrams. He absolutely has to pick a woman of color, and while she is the least qualified of the CNN-anointed candidates, she therefore doesn't have the baggage of a record like the others suck as Sen. Harris. If it's not her, it could likely be Mayor Bottoms of Atlanta who performed decently with the protests.

If you actually believe that you'd do well to place some bets. A bet on Stacey Abrams would be quite profitable if it were to happen (it won't):

Cha-Ching!!! Time to call my bookie!

It will absolutely not be Harris. She was a lousy campaigner, lousy fundraiser, and even for a politician she came across as a phony. POC didn't support her. She brings nothing to the table. CA is blue no matter what. Lance Bottoms at +1200 is a massive overlay.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Amy Kloubchar takes self out of VP race for Biden, says needs to choose a 'woman of color'. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/politics ... index.html

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Tugger wrote:
And quite frankly there are plenty of women that are qualified to be vice president of the USA.

One thing, we are focusing only on "political women", what about women outside of politics? People have mentioned Michelle Obama, which I think is a non-starter and I don't think she would want it. And of course some have mentioned Oprah, which is another person that has no real desire to be VP.

Tugg

Ursula Burns?
Rosalind Brewer?

Ken777

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Looking at then VP slot it is clear that we need someone who can move up a notch if Biden is unable to continue all 4 years. Looking at that group, Stacey Abrams does not have the heavy experience in areas outside of low level issues. zhe needs training in International Relations and Defense. Toss in I(sues like Health and Housing and it's easy to see her shortcomings.

Personally I like Dr. Susan Rice as the best black woman in the VP Field. I don't want Biden to pick a Senator as that gives the GOP a chance to take a Dem Senate Seat, which the Ems cannot afford if they want to take over the Senate.

Tugger

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Ursula Burns?
Rosalind Brewer?

I think Ms. Burns would be a excellent option from just looking at her online info. Of course, she might not want to give up the freedom and wealth she currently enjoys. But she would I think be able to manage the VP duties and work with the various parties involved.

Tugg

ER757

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Looking at then VP slot it is clear that we need someone who can move up a notch if Biden is unable to continue all 4 years. Looking at that group, Stacey Abrams does not have the heavy experience in areas outside of low level issues. zhe needs training in International Relations and Defense. Toss in I(sues like Health and Housing and it's easy to see her shortcomings.

Personally I like Dr. Susan Rice as the best black woman in the VP Field. I don't want Biden to pick a Senator as that gives the GOP a chance to take a Dem Senate Seat, which the Ems cannot afford if they want to take over the Senate.

what if....and I know it's a BIG what if, he was to pick someone with the same surname and she agreed to be on his ticket? I am talking about Condoleeza Rice - I know she was in the Bush administration and that would indicate she's a Republican, but she doesn't seem to fit the mold of what the party is today. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:48 pm

ER757 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

what if....and I know it's a BIG what if, he was to pick someone with the same surname and she agreed to be on his ticket? I am talking about Condoleeza Rice - I know she was in the Bush administration and that would indicate she's a Republican, but she doesn't seem to fit the mold of what the party is today. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat

The more left wing liberals would explode with anger.

LittleFokker

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:51 pm

ER757 wrote:

I already explained why Condoleeza Rice isn't happening in an earlier post:

LittleFokker wrote:

Big surprise out of the formerly solid red state of Arizona, astronaut Mark Kelly leads incumbent Martha McSally by double digits. If that holds true Nov 3, both AZ senators will be Democrat for the first time....ever? Trump narrowly won AZ 4 years ago, and has been trending towards swingy the last few elections. Republicans are starting to lose the suburbs of Maricopa county, which is making a huge difference.

So, by my estimation, if AZ, ME, one of the GA seats (Ossoff is looking good), CO, and KS (Kobach is really unpopular there) all go to the Dems, it's not going to matter if Doug Jones is unable to keep his seat, though I wouldn't count him out yet. Dems are looking good so far to retake control of the Senate. Will also be fascinating to watch TX. John Cornyn has transformed himself into a total Trump toady and is losing popularity there. MJ Hegar (24%) and Royce West (22%) are going to a runoff in July after a 10 candidate primary. Like Kentucky, Hegar has the endorsements of national Dems and has the most exposure out of the state, but State Senator West has been endorsed many state level party officials. Texas is probably the least Trumpy of the southern red states, and if Corbyn continues to hitch himself to that wagon, there's a chance it could cost him a job.

ER757

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

So, by my estimation, if AZ, ME, one of the GA seats (Ossoff is looking good), CO, and KS (Kobach is really unpopular there) all go to the Dems, it's not going to matter if Doug Jones is unable to keep his seat, though I wouldn't count him out yet. Dems are looking good so far to retake control of the Senate. Will also be fascinating to watch TX. John Cornyn has transformed himself into a total Trump toady and is losing popularity there. MJ Hegar (24%) and Royce West (22%) are going to a runoff in July after a 10 candidate primary. Like Kentucky, Hegar has the endorsements of national Dems and has the most exposure out of the state, but State Senator West has been endorsed many state level party officials. Texas is probably the least Trumpy of the southern red states, and if Corbyn continues to hitch himself to that wagon, there's a chance it could cost him a job.

That is a surprise about AZ - I have quite a few friends in the PHX area and they are, to person, all pretty hard-core Republicans and Trump supporters. I thought they were representative of the state in general, but maybe not.....

Ken777

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Wen looking at the two Dr's Rice you need to remember how Susan got the shaft from the GOP. She presented CIA information on the Benghazi attack and changed her comments when the CIA make their changes a few days later. The GOP had a field day attacking her and there was no way they would approve any appointment.

On te flip side, Condi spent weeks on WMD's in Iraq wit no corrections until after th unnecessary invasion. Her misleading SecState Colin Powell was easily glossed over by the GOP even though it was far more damaging to this county's reputation in the world. Getting that invasion going got Condi the SecvState job, but left Colin, and all of his friends, never trusting the GOP again.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:38 pm

ER757 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

That is a surprise about AZ - I have quite a few friends in the PHX area and they are, to person, all pretty hard-core Republicans and Trump supporters. I thought they were representative of the state in general, but maybe not.....

McSally had been behind Kelly by 10+ points for months now. I don't think it is even a toss-up by now.

The OP left out NC - it is a literal toss-up for that seat right now, as is one of the GA seat. IA is also up for grab.

Too bad it doesn't seem like Moscow Mitch will get kick out yet. There is something in those water of Kentucky making them electing nutjob senators.

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Perhaps we should leave the discussion about the senators' races to the "2020 US Senate Race Thread"?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1447367

maverick4002

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:46 am

Condoleeza Rice is Republican... NO
Kamala has a very suspicious record when it comes to policing in California and in the current climate.....NO

I think people should pay attention to Val Demmings and the ATL mayor. I like Stacey Abrams but something about her just seems to..forced. And she lack experience (She should be GA governor though!). Cheating Repubs!

apodino

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:55 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Big surprise out of the formerly solid red state of Arizona, astronaut Mark Kelly leads incumbent Martha McSally by double digits. If that holds true Nov 3, both AZ senators will be Democrat for the first time....ever? Trump narrowly won AZ 4 years ago, and has been trending towards swingy the last few elections. Republicans are starting to lose the suburbs of Maricopa county, which is making a huge difference.

I am discussing this in another thread. CO will depend on who is nominated. Hickenlooper is imploding, and if he is nominated his ethics baggage could allow that seat to stay Red as I think Gardner can win. KS hasn't held their primary yet, and we don't know if Kobach will be nominated. If he isn't that seat stays red. Cornyn I think is safe despite what you say. He doesn't have the baggage that Cruz did two years ago, and Cruz still won. That being said, I encourage you to join in the discussion on this thread.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1447367

Back to the VP front. I think it will be a minority woman. Harris is a safe pick since that state is Deep Blue and there is no way a republican will win the seat. (Harris actually won her seat against another Democrat in the General when she was elected) The Atlanta Mayor seems like a good pick as well. Demmings is popular, but has past ties to the police departments and that could hurt her. As for other picks that may not be minorities. Klobuchar is out (I think she was going to be the pick prior to George Floyd). Tammy Baldwin is interesting, but even though her seat would be filled by a Democrat (Possibly Russ Feingold), there is no guarantee that seat stays blue in two years. The presidents party tends to always lose seats in the first midterm, and that coupled with Ron Johnson defending his own seat could make that seat Red. As for Elizabeth Warren. I have followed MA politics for years, and typically when there is an obvious chance of a Senate seat becoming open, the Democratic Legislature will pass a law to prevent a Republican Governor from filling the seat. Furthermore, if a democratic governor was in place, they pass the law to give him that power. So I don't see any risk with Warren there. Except last time this happened (When Ted Kennedy passed away), the voters actually elected a republican to fill the seat. I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

But given everything I have seen, plus the way Biden seems to think, Harris would fit the bill the most.

LittleFokker

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Perhaps we should leave the discussion about the senators' races to the "2020 US Senate Race Thread"?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1447367

I apologize for my earlier post that spurred the Senate talk, I think I forgot what thread I was posting in.

apodino wrote:
Back to the VP front. I think it will be a minority woman. Harris is a safe pick since that state is Deep Blue and there is no way a republican will win the seat. (Harris actually won her seat against another Democrat in the General when she was elected) The Atlanta Mayor seems like a good pick as well. Demmings is popular, but has past ties to the police departments and that could hurt her. As for other picks that may not be minorities. Klobuchar is out (I think she was going to be the pick prior to George Floyd). Tammy Baldwin is interesting, but even though her seat would be filled by a Democrat (Possibly Russ Feingold), there is no guarantee that seat stays blue in two years. The presidents party tends to always lose seats in the first midterm, and that coupled with Ron Johnson defending his own seat could make that seat Red. As for Elizabeth Warren. I have followed MA politics for years, and typically when there is an obvious chance of a Senate seat becoming open, the Democratic Legislature will pass a law to prevent a Republican Governor from filling the seat. Furthermore, if a democratic governor was in place, they pass the law to give him that power. So I don't see any risk with Warren there. Except last time this happened (When Ted Kennedy passed away), the voters actually elected a republican to fill the seat. I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

But given everything I have seen, plus the way Biden seems to think, Harris would fit the bill the most.

I wasn't impressed with Sen Harris as a Presidential candidate, but I am impressed with her interview skills when in Senate committees. I think she would be effective in the job though she may struggle to convince people of it while campaigning. If we are working with the theory that Biden is essentially picking the 2024 nominee (since he would likely be a one term President), I could easily get behind Harris, and I think she would impress people more once elected.

apodino

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
I wasn't impressed with Sen Harris as a Presidential candidate, but I am impressed with her interview skills when in Senate committees. I think she would be effective in the job though she may struggle to convince people of it while campaigning. If we are working with the theory that Biden is essentially picking the 2024 nominee (since he would likely be a one term President), I could easily get behind Harris, and I think she would impress people more once elected.

The knock on Harris is her record as a prosecutor during her time as AG. Given the environment we are in, that could cause some issues among progressives. I honestly don't think Biden cares what progressives think.

If Harris is not the pick, I could easily see her as Attorney General in a Biden administration. The cabinet is one of those things people don't pay much attention to, but the people that are in the cabinet can make a world of difference in policy matters. One only needs to look at people in Trump's cabinet to see what happens when the wrong people are in the Cabinet. Here is how I see a Biden Cabinet shaping out.

State - Susan Rice (or maybe Eliot Engel if Engel is primaried)
Treasury - Jamie Dimon
Defense - Pete Buttigieg
AG - Kamala Harris (if Harris is VP, then Cory Booker)
Homeland Security - Amy Klobuchar
Labor - Steve Lynch (A MA congressman who has extensive Labor Union ties), another possibility would be AFA president Sara Nelson
Transportation - Michael Castle (This is often a position where the president will appoint someone from the other party to, and Castle is a fellow Delaware guy, and Biden is as pro Amtrak as you get)
Energy - Beto O'Rourke
Agriculture - Claire McCaskell
Education - Probably wants someone who works in Education. A WAG at this would be Boston School Committee vice chair Alexandria Oliver-Davilla.
Interior - Just a guess, Tulsi Gabbard.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:14 pm

winginit wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Actually that isn't bad Odds on Abrams though I doubt he will pick her. She is too divisive and doesn't have the star appeal that Bottoms or Harris does. After Klobuchar removed herself and told Joe to pick a woman of color he is in a boxed in and will probably pick Harris. The fact that he probably can't complete a term in office this is very interesting.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Dieuwer

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 pm

apodino wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

The knock on Harris is her record as a prosecutor during her time as AG. Given the environment we are in, that could cause some issues among progressives. I honestly don't think Biden cares what progressives think.

If Harris is not the pick, I could easily see her as Attorney General in a Biden administration. The cabinet is one of those things people don't pay much attention to, but the people that are in the cabinet can make a world of difference in policy matters. One only needs to look at people in Trump's cabinet to see what happens when the wrong people are in the Cabinet. Here is how I see a Biden Cabinet shaping out.

State - Susan Rice (or maybe Eliot Engel if Engel is primaried)
Treasury - Jamie Dimon
Defense - Pete Buttigieg
AG - Kamala Harris (if Harris is VP, then Cory Booker)
Homeland Security - Amy Klobuchar
Labor - Steve Lynch (A MA congressman who has extensive Labor Union ties), another possibility would be AFA president Sara Nelson
Transportation - Michael Castle (This is often a position where the president will appoint someone from the other party to, and Castle is a fellow Delaware guy, and Biden is as pro Amtrak as you get)
Energy - Beto O'Rourke
Agriculture - Claire McCaskell
Education - Probably wants someone who works in Education. A WAG at this would be Boston School Committee vice chair Alexandria Oliver-Davilla.
Interior - Just a guess, Tulsi Gabbard.

I hope you are being sarcastic/joking with several names on that list.

EasternSon

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:12 pm

The DNC and Biden need to stop screwing around and choose the woman who is the most popular, and give the Democratic ticket the best chance of winning against Donald Trump. That's Elizabeth Warren. Period. He's backed himself into a corner saying his pick will be a woman, and she is the most qualified, recognizable, and centrist choice. Just do it already.

But I still think President Trump has a good shot at beating them, unfortunately.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

NIKV69

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm

EasternSon wrote:
The DNC and Biden need to stop screwing around and choose the woman who is the most popular, and give the Democratic ticket the best chance of winning against Donald Trump. That's Elizabeth Warren. Period. He's backed himself into a corner saying his pick will be a woman, and she is the most qualified, recognizable, and centrist choice. Just do it already.

But I still think President Trump has a good shot at beating them, unfortunately.

Warren is not in the middle she is a very divisive far left loon who would if given the chance break the banks and raise taxes to Carter era levels. She doesn't play well outside NE and she is not likable. I would rather have Harris.
I am the Googlizer!!!

BN747

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 am

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Actually that isn't bad Odds on Abrams though I doubt he will pick her. She is too divisive and doesn't have the star appeal that Bottoms or Harris does. After Klobuchar removed herself and told Joe to pick a woman of color he is in a boxed in and will probably pick Harris. The fact that he probably can't complete a term in office this is very interesting.

Abrams can however, bring in black voters unseen in any election before ..even Obama's two wins.

Katie Porter, (the Congresswoman who crucified Jamie Dimond in front Congress and the nation) would not help the black vote but she would wipe the floor with white Republican women leaving only the rabid types, crumbs essentially for the GOP. Although she's not on Biden's radar..she has the homespun touch that Biden has with men.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

LOT767301ER

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:46 am

BN747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Abrams can however, bring in black voters unseen in any election before ..even Obama's two wins.

Katie Porter, (the Congresswoman who crucified Jamie Dimond in front Congress and the nation) would not help the black vote but she would wipe the floor with white Republican women leaving only the rabid types, crumbs essentially for the GOP. Although she's not on Biden's radar..she has the homespun touch that Biden has with men.

BN747

Katie Porter is an idiot that was playing on emotion. Why is there a single mother who is broke with kids living in Irvine spending $1600 on rent? Who are these morons who excuse the idiot choices that people make across this country. Move your stupid ass to Iowa in her district and pay $700 for the same apartment while maintaining a higher PPP (so dont come out here and excuse the lower wages in IA) and not get shafted by an insane democrat created COL. I just solved this womans budget shortfall in 30 seconds @ 245am.

I cant believe I have to defend Dimon in these idiotic strawman arguments, and hes a flipping democrat for gods sake.

BN747

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:54 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:
BN747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

BN747

Katie Porter is an idiot that was playing on emotion. Why is there a single mother who is broke with kids living in Irvine spending $1600 on rent? Who are these morons who excuse the idiot choices that people make across this country. Move your stupid ass to Iowa in her district and pay $700 for the same apartment while maintaining a higher PPP (so dont come out here and excuse the lower wages in IA) and not get shafted by an insane democrat created COL. I just solved this womans budget shortfall in 30 seconds @ 245am.

I cant believe I have to defend Dimon in these idiotic strawman arguments, and hes a flipping democrat for gods sake.

You're defending Dimond because you both share the same 'qualities' in she which publicly dressed him down for his blatant lack of 'logic and common sense'.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

NIKV69

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 pm

BN747 wrote:

True
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Again true but Klobuchar took herself out and basically told Joe he has to pick a woman of color so Katie Porter is moot.
I am the Googlizer!!!

LOT767301ER

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:31 am

BN747 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

You're defending Dimond because you both share the same 'qualities' in she which publicly dressed him down for his blatant lack of 'logic and common sense'.

BN747

So you have nothing to add except an extra "d" for some reason :-D

Paying $1600 on rent and having little income is the definition of lack of logic. The destruction of PPP was created by people like Katie Porter so the better answer would have been you are the one who created that situation so you go fix it.

727LOVER

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Interesting...
Black Democrats prefer Warren over Harris

https://www.yahoo.com/now/biden-vp-blac ... 00347.html
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

apodino

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 pm

BN747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

BN747

Crucifying Jamie Dimon, who Biden is likely to pick as his Treasury Secretary if elected, is exactly why Porter is out.

I still think its Harris. Wall Street will not allow Biden to pick Warren period. Biden is going through the motions to make it look like he is serious about Warren to appeal to them, but I believe she has no chance at all. Harris is much more to Wall Streets liking.

winginit

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 am

apodino wrote:
I still think its Harris. Wall Street will not allow Biden to pick Warren period. Biden is going through the motions to make it look like he is serious about Warren to appeal to them, but I believe she has no chance at all. Harris is much more to Wall Streets liking.

Agree it will be Harris, but Wall Street will have nothing to do with it. To not pick a woman of color during a moment like this one that could likely spur record turnout among minority populations in the United States would be foolish.