Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Kirkland Alcohol

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Taking a break from all the bullshit...

Father of three daughters here. I came to Costco years ago for the diapers and baby wipes and ended up staying for the alcohol. As such, I hardly bother with name brand alcohol anymore. As far as I'm concerned Kirkland is either top shelf, or close enough to it, that the cost savings is generally worth it. Case in point:

Kirkland American Vodka 1.75L $13 USD
Tito's Handmade Vodka 1.75L $30 USD

Kirkland French Vodka 1.75L $20 USD
Grey Goose Vodka $50 USD

Kirkland Irish Whiskey 1.75L $28 USD
Jameson Irish Whiskey 1.75L $40 USD

Kirkland 12 yr Blended Scotch Whisky 1.75L $36 USD
Johnny Walker Black Label 12 yr 1.75L $57 USD

Kirkland 7 yr Bourbon 1L $30 USD
Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky $35 USD

Kirkland Tequila Silver 1.75L $20 USD
Jose Cuervo Silver Tequila 1.75L $34 USD

Kirkland Tequila Anejo 1L $20 USD
Jose Cuervo Tradicional Anejo 750ml $32 USD

Kirkland London Dry Gin 1.75L $19 USD
Beefeater 1.75L $23 USD

Kirkland Spiced Rum 1.75L $14 USD
Captain Morgan Spiced Rum 1.75L $19 USD

Agree? Disagree? On a side note, what are the prices in your country and how do they compare to those in the US?

“God, in his goodness, sent the grain, to cheer both great and small; little fools will drink too much, and great fools none at all.”
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Tugger

Re: Kirkland Alcohol

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:49 pm

I'm all for Costco brand alcohol. Like you I generally grab the Kirkland version when getting alchy. (One exception is Skyy vodka as it fits PERFECTLY in my cupboard - for some reason really tall vodka bottles are a thing...)

I also keep a batch of their pre-mixed Margarita on hand. It's too easy and tasty. And regarding Tequila I go for their Repasado but for some reason it is not stocked as regularly as the other versions.

The one thing so far they haven't impressed me with is a single malt scotch. I'll stick with the names for that thank you. I also appreciate "the Costco size" for alcohol since it fares so well well sitting waiting to be used and you can't beat the value (I just can't pay almost the same price for half the size anymore, Grand Marnier I'm looking at you!).

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:50 pm

They can't sell it in NC. All Alcohol has to go through the ABC stores so ...no Kirkland here.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

BravoOne

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:00 pm

casinterest wrote:
They can't sell it in NC. All Alcohol has to go through the ABC stores so ...no Kirkland here.

Don't do it in Uah either. Why am I not surprised? Go down to LAS though and will great prizing on alll wine and booze in the local Costco stores plus, there wine selections are far above average.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Their wines have got mixed ratings. I still haven't run across a good and generally inexpensive table wine. They often but not always carry Columbia Crest 2 Vine cab-merlot which is such.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Bricktop

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Nor in Jersey, at least near me. They may be at other locations though - I never bothered asking. I know my Trader Joes does have booze either. They told me they are limited to two stores in the state, and mine wasn't one of them. Maybe the same as my Costco.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:08 pm

casinterest wrote:

I was so glad when I moved from MD. It's not an alcohol control state, but all liquors are sold through ABC stores. I've never been able to understand the restriction of sales to just ABC stores.

For the record, I'm not a drinker (I make a cocktail probably once a month), but I'm more likely to pickup alcohol while grocery shopping than I am if I have to make another stop at an ABC store.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BravoOne

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 pm

BravoOne wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Don't do it in Uah either. Why am I not surprised? Go down to LAS though and will great prizing on alll wine and booze in the local Costco stores plus, there wine selections are far above average.

I saw 100 pt Cas the oher day. Don't think I have ever seen that before. $200 per bottle and it was all gone in two days. Someone must have bought it all at once.

Dieuwer

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:31 pm

Pretty hilarious that all those Red States are alcohol control states. So much for "Freedom".

Bricktop

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Pretty hilarious that all those Red States are alcohol control states. So much for "Freedom".

All those red states? The applicable ones in the US are Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania ,Utah and Virginia.
a whopping 7 out of 50 states, and all over the map politically and geographically. It's an issue of taxation more than anything else.
Beer and wine can be bought in grocery stores in most states. In the end, not really all that hilarious, and very little to do with "Freedom".

Same with our neighbor to the North. Some have provincial stores, some have privately owned, some a mix.
When I drove back from MTL, there's a great provincial liquor store on 15 South at the international border. Once I finally remembered the prices
were in Canadian dollars, I picked up a load of bargains. :thumbsup:

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Tugger wrote:
I also keep a batch of their pre-mixed Margarita on hand. It's too easy and tasty.

This x100. I didn't want to be the one to say it, but now it's out there. Guilty pleasure.

Tugger wrote:
The one thing so far they haven't impressed me with is a single malt scotch. I'll stick with the names for that thank you.

Ditto. Check out The Balvenie Double Wood 12 yr. I first had this at UA Polaris Lounge ORD in February and it's easily one of my favorites.

casinterest wrote:

My condolences!

BravoOne wrote:
Go down to LAS though and will great prizing on alll wine and booze in the local Costco stores plus, there wine selections are far above average.

One of St George's finer purposes. Staging ground for LAS runs.

Bricktop wrote:
I know my Trader Joes does have booze either.

Vodka of the Gods is another favorite. Highly recommend.

einsteinboricua wrote:
all liquors are sold through ABC stores. For the record, I'm not a drinker (I make a cocktail probably once a month), but I'm more likely to pickup alcohol while grocery shopping than I am if I have to make another stop at an ABC store.

Honestly as a lifetime resident of CA/NV, this concept is so foreign and absurd to me.

Dieuwer wrote:

You sir can F right off. This thread was literally opened with "taking a break from the bullshit"

rfields5421

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Remember the US passed an amendment to the Constitution about a hundred years ago
the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

There are still a lot of people who believe alcohol to the be 'root of all evil' and most of them that I've met tend to be strict conservatives.

But the repeal of the amendment also allowed any state, or other jurisdiction to impost limits or a complete ban on the sale of alcohol. I grew up in a 'dry' state with legal sales of alcohol in only three counties. And my home was about 5 1/2 miles from the Louisiana state line where any alcohol could be purchased at age 18, yes - hard liquor in addition to beer.

Never saw a state run liquor store until I went to Kentucky the first time. Now I understand it is as much about tax revenue as controlling access.

Personally I think it is stupid, but I also understand the background and the history behind such laws. Also, I've not had a drink of any type of alcohol in over 35 years, because frankly, I'm a mean vicious uncontrollable drunk. Who can't say no or stop.

But that's my situation. You have all the fun you want.
Not all who wander are lost.

LittleFokker

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 am

I haven't tried Kirkland hard alcohols, but I did try their light beer, and it was awful, on par with Beast or Natty Light. I don't drink whiskey or vodka very often (~3 times a month), so I haven't been motivated to buy any bottles from them.

Does Kirkland actually make their own products or do they contract with a generic manufacturer, and if so, does that info get leaked anywhere?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:50 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I haven't tried Kirkland hard alcohols, but I did try their light beer, and it was awful, on par with Beast or Natty Light. I don't drink whiskey or vodka very often (~3 times a month), so I haven't been motivated to buy any bottles from them.

Does Kirkland actually make their own products or do they contract with a generic manufacturer, and if so, does that info get leaked anywhere?

I haven't tried Kirkland beer for fear of just that. As for Natty Light, those are fighting words. It's a staple of beer pong and higher education in the US :box:

Kirkland does not manufacture their own alcohol and who they work with is a closely kept secret. See below:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/costco-kirkland-brand-alcohol-spirits

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:52 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Remember the US passed an amendment to the Constitution about a hundred years ago
the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

There are still a lot of people who believe alcohol to the be 'root of all evil' and most of them that I've met tend to be strict conservatives.

But the repeal of the amendment also allowed any state, or other jurisdiction to impost limits or a complete ban on the sale of alcohol. I grew up in a 'dry' state with legal sales of alcohol in only three counties. And my home was about 5 1/2 miles from the Louisiana state line where any alcohol could be purchased at age 18, yes - hard liquor in addition to beer.

Never saw a state run liquor store until I went to Kentucky the first time. Now I understand it is as much about tax revenue as controlling access.

Personally I think it is stupid, but I also understand the background and the history behind such laws. Also, I've not had a drink of any type of alcohol in over 35 years, because frankly, I'm a mean vicious uncontrollable drunk. Who can't say no or stop.

But that's my situation. You have all the fun you want.

Actually this thread made me realize that I definitely need to buy a bottle of dry white wine soon. :)
It will be nice sitting in the sun, have a drink and eat cheese with crackers.
I used to be a big fan of whisky when I was a college student, but now I prefer wine. Never liked beer much.

Aesma

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 pm

There is only one Costco in France, it opened a couple years ago, not too far from me but I've never been to it. A colleague of mine took the card but didn't renew it as he found for a couple the stuff they sell is in too large quantities.

About prices, for hard alcohol 20$ for 1,75l is about the cost of taxes. We get cheap enough vodka (the nail polish tasting one) where basically the bottle and alcohol is 2€ and the rest of the price is taxes. Rum made in French territories pays less taxes, and wine almost no tax, it's France after all !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bhill

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Three best things that have happened in Washington State in my lifetime
1) Getting rid of State Liquor Stores
2) Legalizing Marijuana
3) All mail in balloting for voting

The State has seen AMAZING tax income from booze and pot sales..
Carpe Pices

ltbewr

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 pm

In NJ, no one can have a financial interest in more than 3 licenses to sell alcohol. Costco usually franchises out the liquor (beer, wine, spirits) department, and like the food court, optician services, gas stations (at the gas stations only Visa CC and Debit cards can be used) are in the areas not requiring showing their membership cards as cannot restrict access to members only by various state laws. In NJ, you also benefit from another law that means that along with Oregon, you have an attendant to serve gasoline. All but a few location of chain grocery stores in NJ can sell alcohol beverages, Aldi and Lidi don't sell any alcohol beverages either. I don't know if Costco stores can sell their own brand of alcoholic beverages, if so it must go through NJ distributors.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

State liquor stores by far had the best selections of Washington wines. And particularly some of the best inexpensive ones. Frequently they carried some of the best relatively unknown WA wines. Costco carries a lousy selection, Total Wine does a little better. Right now it is really difficult to find Domaine St Michelle sparkling wines, some of the best in the world.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Kent350787

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am

Bricktop wrote:
Nor in Jersey, at least near me. They may be at other locations though - I never bothered asking. I know my Trader Joes does have booze either. They told me they are limited to two stores in the state, and mine wasn't one of them. Maybe the same as my Costco.

I wish we had Trader Joe's rather than Aldi in Australia. I quite enjoy the range of wines at Trader Joes (where they sell it), rather than the very limited Aldi range.

I had quite relaised the stat edifferences on alcohol sales, but did notice DC has it in supermarkets, but TJ in Brooklyn (Cobble Hill) doesn't, although there are liquor stores in the surrounding streets. I don't think the one in Somerville MA has it, although there are plenty of other liquor stores. The SE seems to be pretty OK selling wine in supermarkets, although I haven't noticed hard liquor. I was a bit surprised north of the border that both Quebec and Ontario liquor stores are government owned.

I suppose most hard liquor is OK if you're mixing it with soda of some type. I don't (other than in cocktails), so wouldn't be going with Kirkland.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

gunsontheroof

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I'd agree that the Kirkland liquor is pretty good. My folks buy it exclusively (I don't think they shop anywhere else any more), but I don't drive or have a Costco card and live within walking distance of a liquor store, so it's still Jim Beam for me. I would say that I haven't been terribly impressed with the Kirkland beers that I've tried.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm

BravoOne wrote:
casinterest wrote:

The only issue with Costco is that you’ll likely need a rental car due to the distance from the Strip in order to make it economical.

ABC stores are everywhere, as are Lee's