Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bricktop
Topic Author

Choke holds: Legal in your community?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 pm

I was amazed and appalled that choke holds were not outlawed in Minneapolis. They are in my little town in NJ, and find it stunning that after Eric Garner's awful death in NY that they would be allowed anywhere in the US. That was 5 years ago, for crying out loud. Where have politicians and those folk who demand police reform been on this all this time? If there had been more action and less posturing blather, George Floyd might (and I say might deliberately) be alive today.

So are choke holds outlawed where you live? Non US please chip in too. I am curious.

Cadet985

Re: Choke holds: Legal in your community?

Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 am

A quick Google search informs me that those holds have been against police police here in Philadelphia since at least 2015.

https://www.phillypolice.com/assets/dir ... dForce.pdf

Marc

WarRI1

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:42 am

I never gave it a thought about checking here where I live. I will try to find out.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/30/21274697/ ... os-angeles
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

B777LRF

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:20 am

Of course it's illegal (in Denmark); it puts the arrested person in immediate mortal danger for no apparent reason. It would take a seriously demented set of lawmakers to even consider it to be reasonable and legitimate use of force, and it would require stupidity on a galactic level for any police force to use it.

Then again, it's the US we're talking about. Waterboarding springs to mind ....
Signature. You just read one.

Aesma

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:30 am

Floyd died with a knee on his neck, that's not a choke hold.

In France it has been banned...on Monday. We have a national police and gendarmerie so it's banned in the whole country at once. Policemen are saying they will stop arresting people and let them go since they have no alternative.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Reinhardt

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am

Aesma wrote:
In France it has been banned...on Monday. We have a national police and gendarmerie so it's banned in the whole country at once. Policemen are saying they will stop arresting people and let them go since they have no alternative.

So the Police don't want to be told what to do so they're responding by talking rubbish? That's all I can take from that, because you must have a screwed up Police force if they can't arrest people without kneeling on someones neck or head.

Aesma

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:41 am

You removed the sentence in my answer that explained that what happened to Floyd has nothing to do with the police technique talked about.

Doing a choke hold badly is one thing (and can be dangerous), but it's done with one arm around the neck. No knee involved !

As for the French police, they're saying that the minister is banning the choke hold without offering any alternative to take on someone resisting arrest. I don't know anything about it so can't comment. Here fortunately police won't shoot at people unless it's really warranted.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Reinhardt

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:26 am

Aesma wrote:
You removed the sentence in my answer that explained that what happened to Floyd has nothing to do with the police technique talked about.

Doing a choke hold badly is one thing (and can be dangerous), but it's done with one arm around the neck. No knee involved !

As for the French police, they're saying that the minister is banning the choke hold without offering any alternative to take on someone resisting arrest. I don't know anything about it so can't comment. Here fortunately police won't shoot at people unless it's really warranted.

My mistake, mis-understood the comment.

Yes indeed it is dangerous if not done right, problem is there seems to be a very low level of Police training in certain parts of the world which means this action could leave to severe harm. But I guess it's better than being shot. As you say luckily in Europe police rarely shoot and if they do, they are very well trained so often aren't fatal. Or they use tazers.

Maloak33

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:42 am

I'm not sure if its legal in SA(South Africa)
I have never been arrested or had trouble with the law plus have not seen an arrest being done.
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

Aesma

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 pm

Apparently there are two choke holds taught in French police schools : one where the arm is pressed against the trachea, and one where the arm is pressed against a carotid artery. The French Interior minister is talking about only banning the second one after all.