Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Driving a Prison Bus on Icy Roads

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:53 am

What is it like driving a prison bus on icy roads, including in sleet and freezing rain? I am wondering this as there are some unique challenges carrying prisoners in those potentially dangerous conditions.

TSS

Re: Driving a Prison Bus on Icy Roads

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:37 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What is it like driving a prison bus on icy roads, including in sleet and freezing rain? I am wondering this as there are some unique challenges carrying prisoners in those potentially dangerous conditions.

Why would anyone ever need to drive a prison bus, or indeed any vehicle carrying a prisoner or prisoners, on icy roads? Whenever transferring a prisoner or prisoners from one facility to another there is no particular rush, at least not to the point of being unable to wait a day or more until the weather gets better and the roads are clear.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 pm

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Why would anyone ever need to drive a prison bus, or indeed any vehicle carrying a prisoner or prisoners, on icy roads? Whenever transferring a prisoner or prisoners from one facility to another there is no particular rush, at least not to the point of being unable to wait a day or more until the weather gets better and the roads are clear.

They may not have a choice in some places up north like New York City and Boston, where sleet and freezing rain are quite common.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:36 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
They may not have a choice in some places up north like New York City and Boston, where sleet and freezing rain are quite common.

Except roads can be plowed and treated. It doesn't rain/sleet every day 24 hours a day. The sun comes out during winter too and temperatures don't remain perpetually under freezing.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BlueberryWheats

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:40 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

That's hella specific, but allow me to answer. It's easier than driving a bus full of kids because the extra weight of all those big burly men help traction on the ice. And the internal structure of a prison bus, with all the extra bars, helps maintain rigidity.

The real headache is when you DO crash and one of the prisoners goes on the run. Then you have the headache of the US Marshals getting involved.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

casinterest

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Here you go. A serious answer.

It can be absolutely deadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2J3NwuuIA4
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:33 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Except roads can be plowed and treated. It doesn't rain/sleet every day 24 hours a day. The sun comes out during winter too and temperatures don't remain perpetually under freezing.

In places like Syracuse, New York it snows almost every day during the winter, but that is just snow and that is very different from ice. Snow is very manageable up north as well, so the prison buses can do their trips in such weather.

rfields5421

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am

I drove a school bus that held 40 kids a bit in northwest Arkansas, for a school district outside Fayetteville to the south the winter of 1970-71. It was an unmitigated pain. Twice we had kids at school when the sleet started, and we had to get them home.

Despite it's size a bus is a very empty light vehicle for the volume. Add a bit of wind and it is horrible.

Road conditions is the main reason schools close in marginal icy conditions in the southern states. Too dangerous for the kids to be in the bus on the roads. And too dangerous for a lot of parents who don't know how to drive in icy conditions to be on the road trying to get their kids to school.

Up north, you have the equipment, and you usually get enough ice and snow to make clearing equipment work. We don't have that road equipment in the south. Much safer to just close the schools.

As far a prison bus, courts tend to close when schools do in the south, so it isn't an issue.
Not all who wander are lost.

jetwet1

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am

Archguy, at some point I am flying you out to Vegas, getting you a room, then you and I are having dinner.

I really need to have a conversation with a person who can come up with these obscure subjects.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 am

rfields5421 wrote:
I drove a school bus that held 40 kids a bit in northwest Arkansas, for a school district outside Fayetteville to the south the winter of 1970-71. It was an unmitigated pain. Twice we had kids at school when the sleet started, and we had to get them home.

Despite it's size a bus is a very empty light vehicle for the volume. Add a bit of wind and it is horrible.

Road conditions is the main reason schools close in marginal icy conditions in the southern states. Too dangerous for the kids to be in the bus on the roads. And too dangerous for a lot of parents who don't know how to drive in icy conditions to be on the road trying to get their kids to school.

Up north, you have the equipment, and you usually get enough ice and snow to make clearing equipment work. We don't have that road equipment in the south. Much safer to just close the schools.

As far a prison bus, courts tend to close when schools do in the south, so it isn't an issue.

What type of snow and ice conditions would it take to close schools and courts up north.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I really need to have a conversation with a person who can come up with these obscure subjects.

You sure you wanna do that? The conversation is likely to be stuck in an endless loop of questions.

"Hi ArchGuy1. How was your flight?"
"My flight was great. How was yours?"
"It was fine. A little turbulence here and there but we made it through."
"How bad does turbulence have to get before it can be felt?"
"Uhh I don't know. Enough so that it causes it to be felt?"
"How many planes experience turbulence on their way to Vegas?"
"Likely all of them...maybe?"
"How severe is it usually?"
"This is gonna be a long weekend..."
"How long are your weekends usually?"

:duck:
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 am

Imagine reading this thread title high - I can. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LittleFokker

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:18 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

You sure you wanna do that? The conversation is likely to be stuck in an endless loop of questions.

"Hi ArchGuy1. How was your flight?"
"My flight was great. How was yours?"
"It was fine. A little turbulence here and there but we made it through."
"How bad does turbulence have to get before it can be felt?"
"Uhh I don't know. Enough so that it causes it to be felt?"
"How many planes experience turbulence on their way to Vegas?"
"Likely all of them...maybe?"
"How severe is it usually?"
"This is gonna be a long weekend..."
"How long are your weekends usually?"

:duck:

"What is the best truck tire to use when driving over a large bridge in icy conditions and contemplating the end of the Ottoman Empire?" There's not enough drugs on Earth if you put him and that one Delta username who is obsessed with all things pink and wearing appropriate outfits for every worldwide holiday in the same room.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

TSS

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:47 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

What type of snow and ice conditions would it take to close schools and courts up north?

According to all the Northerners who think it's HILARIOUS that we Southerners don't keep millions of dollars worth of equipment primed and ready to go at all times for events that happen here, on average, every five years or so and that as little as an inch of snow* at the right moment here can shut down everything, none. Northerners will tell you they're ready for any amount of snow and ice at any time, no exceptions, it's never too much for them to handle, even if a blizzard dumps eight feet of snow overnight they'll have the roads plowed and open by 9:00 the next morning, 9:30 at the latest.

Of course I'm being facetious and even Northerners, who brag ceaselessly at every given opportunity about their superior winter weather preparedness compared to the South, can and do get overwhelmed from time to time. Just a couple of years ago Boston got hit with, if I recall correctly, eighteen inches of snow overnight followed by days of sub-freezing temperatures and had a heckuva time digging out because the snow they dumped off the end of piers wouldn't melt and soon they were scrambling for alternate snow dumping sites.

* A big part of the snow problem we have here in the South is that we almost never get the fluffy, dry kind of snow and instead almost exclusively get the heavy, wet kind that compacts into a thick sheet of ice very quickly and easily, then freezes solid almost instantly.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

rfields5421

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:41 am

More often than snow in the belt across Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi where I've lived - all within 100 miles of I-20 - is we get freezing rain with may a dusting of snow. Temps in the night/ early morning hours are seldom below 25 degrees F. But that is cold enough to put a sheet of ice across the roads, bridges and such.

Frankly, the closest to snow covered roads I've seen was in Japan and Korea back in the 80s.

But I've seen two inches of solid glaze ice more than once. Near Meridian MS in the late 70's we once spent five days waiting for the temps to get high enough and the sun to come out enough to make the roads passable. Temps were never below 20, and never higher than 30. In rural areas, such ice storms bring down power lines, tree limbs, etc. That time in Mississippi, we lived on the kitchen floor in front of the gas oven as our only source of heat for four days and nights.

We normally get some type of glaze ice at least once a winter, some winters four or five times. Maybe a light dusting of snow, always less than an inch..

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:30 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
The real headache is when you DO crash and one of the prisoners goes on the run. Then you have the headache of the US Marshals getting involved.

Plus you have to deal with the fact that he didn't actually kill his wife.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What type of snow and ice conditions would it take to close schools and courts up north.

We didn't get a lot of ice storms in the Boston area. In my town, we'd maybe have one or two snow days (or early-release days due to snow) a year, on average. It wasn't so much that there was snow on the ground, but that it was still falling at a steady pace.

TSS wrote:
even if a blizzard dumps eight feet of snow overnight they'll have the roads plowed and open by 9:00 the next morning, 9:30 at the latest.

….which was so painful to watch for my 10-year-old self, who just wanted a fricken snow day.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
More often than snow in the belt across Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi where I've lived - all within 100 miles of I-20 - is we get freezing rain with may a dusting of snow. Temps in the night/ early morning hours are seldom below 25 degrees F. But that is cold enough to put a sheet of ice across the roads, bridges and such.

Frankly, the closest to snow covered roads I've seen was in Japan and Korea back in the 80s.

But I've seen two inches of solid glaze ice more than once. Near Meridian MS in the late 70's we once spent five days waiting for the temps to get high enough and the sun to come out enough to make the roads passable. Temps were never below 20, and never higher than 30. In rural areas, such ice storms bring down power lines, tree limbs, etc. That time in Mississippi, we lived on the kitchen floor in front of the gas oven as our only source of heat for four days and nights.

We normally get some type of glaze ice at least once a winter, some winters four or five times. Maybe a light dusting of snow, always less than an inch..

Why do courts shout down in the south with marginally icy conditions?

rfields5421

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Courts need jurors, and workers. Many of whom live on small backroads that barely get the gravel graded once a year. Too many people have died trying to get to work or other places in bad weather to waste more lives.

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

In places like Syracuse, New York it snows almost every day during the winter, but that is just snow and that is very different from ice. Snow is very manageable up north as well, so the prison buses can do their trips in such weather.

Why ask the question when you already know the answer?

Isn’t it time we have another discussion on fairy tale pink?

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Archguy, at some point I am flying you out to Vegas, getting you a room, then you and I are having dinner.

You should also ask our Fairy Tale Pink Izod Polo Shirt wearing member to join you, they would both blow your mind.

kelval

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Courts need jurors, and workers. Many of whom live on small backroads that barely get the gravel graded once a year. Too many people have died trying to get to work or other places in bad weather to waste more lives.

I can picture the prison guard telling the convict: "snow day today, no court!"

CaptHadley

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Folks, it was been brought to my attention by a moderator that the OP has a disorder. This is not a slam on the OP or anything of that nature. Just read it and move on, life is good.

CaptHadley

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 pm

On that note. You think driving a prison bus would be hard, try flying them on a C-123. Talk about rough landings...