Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Safety in Libya as a Tourist Between 2011 and 2014 Civil Wars

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:10 am

How safe was it it visit Libya as a foreign tourist between the end of the first Civil War in 2011 and the start of the current Civil War in 2014? From what I understand, there was some armed militia violence in parts of the country and the terrorist attack at the US Consulate in Benghzai. I also know that it was dangerous from 2014 onward even before COVID-19 due to armed conflict and terrorism.

B777LRF

Re: Safety in Libya as a Tourist Between 2011 and 2014 Civil Wars

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:24 am

Do you have access to news outlets? I guess so, since you're obviously on the internet. Which begs the question: Why are you posting inane drivel that can so easily be fact checked?

But let me put it this way: Visiting any country in the middle of a civil war / revolution is generally detrimental to your health. Doing so in a country led by a vicious dictator with a seriously deranged sense of morality, fighting an insurrection led by religious fanatics, doesn't improve the odds.
Signature. You just read one.

TWA772LR

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 am

On a scale of sunshine and rainbows to put on a helmet, it'd be a register with the State Department and stay in the hotel that is a bunker.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mmo

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Of course, you do realize you had to have a visa to enter the country? So, if the government has collapsed who issues the visa? So, with no visa, you would be pretty safe. Please put a little thought into the questions you ask.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:15 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Do you have access to news outlets?

He does, since he posts about recent developments with buildings and whatnot.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

santi319

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:46 am

No need for all the attacks to the OP, he has a valid point.

No, you won’t travel to Libya and be automatically killed, it just doesn’t work like that, however why would you visit a conflict area? There’s nothing to do, museum, sightseeing closed, people just do the basic stuff and be home. Waste of money and time unless you are researching about the civil war.

I encourage everyone to take a peek at all these “death is imminent” countries. Even on instagram, search a city and look at the “ig stories” and for Gods sake turn off your news and travel a little more!!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:29 am

santi319 wrote:
No need for all the attacks to the OP, he has a valid point.

No, you won’t travel to Libya and be automatically killed, it just doesn’t work like that, however why would you visit a conflict area? There’s nothing to do, museum, sightseeing closed, people just do the basic stuff and be home. Waste of money and time unless you are researching about the civil war.

I encourage everyone to take a peek at all these “death is imminent” countries. Even on instagram, search a city and look at the “ig stories” and for Gods sake turn off your news and travel a little more!!

What I am asking about is what safety as a tourist would have been in Libya between the end of the 2011 Civil War and the start of the current Civil War in 2014.

DTVG

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:12 am

You already answered your own question. With multiple factions fighting each other, kidnappings and murders going on, I don't think a white American looking tourist would have had fun in Libya. Your vacation plan might have worked out in certain areas near Tripoli, where there government had some control.

Overall I would have suggested you to go with a business visa or no visa at all and act as an honorable businessman selling weapons to freedom fighters for oil.

tu204

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't think you'll get killed, but there's a good chance you could be taken hostage for ransom. Depending on nationality your chances could be higher/lower compared to other nationals.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 pm

tu204 wrote:
I don't think you'll get killed, but there's a good chance you could be taken hostage for ransom. Depending on nationality your chances could be higher/lower compared to other nationals.

Was there still a good chance of being taken hostage for ransom between the 2011 Civil War ending and the 2014 Civil War starting?

mmo

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:19 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Was there still a good chance of being taken hostage for ransom between the 2011 Civil War ending and the 2014 Civil War starting?

Hate to tell you but you couldn't even go to Libya then as there were no visas being issued for tourism or business. So, this is all a paper exercise.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

tu204

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
tu204 wrote:

A very good chance.

The only difference 2011-2014 from now is that all the different parties weren't actively fighting each other.

And as far as visas go, there were and are several unofficial ways to get in and out. One of them being through Tunisia.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

tu204

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 pm

DTVG wrote:
You already answered your own question. With multiple factions fighting each other, kidnappings and murders going on, I don't think a white American looking tourist would have had fun in Libya. Your vacation plan might have worked out in certain areas near Tripoli, where there government had some control.

Overall I would have suggested you to go with a business visa or no visa at all and act as an honorable businessman selling weapons to freedom fighters for oil.

Hell me personally I'd actually avoid Tripoli and any areas controlled by the GNA. Khaftar is surely a loon, but at least in areas controlled by him there is some consistency in laws and order. To put it differently, I'd rather take a stroll through Benghazi than Tripoli tomorrow as my chances of survival and freedom would be somewhat higher.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:02 am

tu204 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

Hell me personally I'd actually avoid Tripoli and any areas controlled by the GNA. Khaftar is surely a loon, but at least in areas controlled by him there is some consistency in laws and order. To put it differently, I'd rather take a stroll through Benghazi than Tripoli tomorrow as my chances of survival and freedom would be somewhat higher.

Are you referring to the period between 2011-2014 or now?

tu204

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:44 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
tu204 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

Are you referring to the period between 2011-2014 or now?

Sorry for the confusion. In that particular post I was referring to the current period.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:24 am

DTVG wrote:

Lepits Magna might have worked between 2011-2014 as it is 60 miles from Tripoli.
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/183/