Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: "signature" songs of popular artists

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
Kno wrote:

Ice ice baby had a lot of controversy over the sample and it’s considered a pretty bad and shameful song - I doubt vanilla ice is too proud of it .

It made his career and I'm sure he's still getting royalties from that. I doubt he's ashamed of it.

Queen have songwriting credit for that song, but Bowie doesn't, strange.

Speaking of Bowie

Heroes
Where ever you go, there you are.

LittleFokker

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:16 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Tom Petty, this is where the game began, and I settled on American Girl when he died. He wrote a lot of autobiographical songs, but American Girl is so catchy, it's his first mega hit, he would close his concerts with it. It was probably his signature.

As much as I love "American Girl," there are a few of his songs that were more commercially successful and culturally relevant. "Freefalling," "Last Dance With Mary Jane," and "Won't Back Down" come to mind as being more signature-y for Petty.

casinterest wrote:
Speaking of Bowie

Heroes

I would argue that The Wallflowers made that song more famous than Bowie (at least for me), so I don't think that could be Bowie's song. "Space Odyssey," "Young American," and "Let's Dance" come to mind. I will let those who are bigger fans of Bowie decide which of those should be it.

Kiwirob wrote:
[Elton John, hard core fans would probably say Your Song, Candle in the Wind or Tiny Dancer
Metallica Master of Puppets
Cold Play has to be Clocks

Elton John is a tough one, way too many to choose from. Not mentioned yet but arguably his signature could be "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."

Metallica, I would think "Enter Sandman" is more successful and more identifiable as a Metallica song

I though Cold Play's signature song would be "Yellow."
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:31 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
[list=][/list]
Kiwirob wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

It made his career and I'm sure he's still getting royalties from that. I doubt he's ashamed of it.

Did Bowie help in writing it, or did he just sing on the original?

Also, FWIW, Rob Van Winkle claims his melody has an extra note over "Under Pressure." Probably bullshit, but there's so many examples of rappers sampling music from other songs and making hits, it's not worth litigating. Goes all the way back to Sugerhill Gang taking the music for "Apache" (which was later used by Sir Mix A Lot for "Jump On It").

He helped write it. He has credit on the original version

seb146

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:42 am

LittleFokker wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Tom Petty, this is where the game began, and I settled on American Girl when he died. He wrote a lot of autobiographical songs, but American Girl is so catchy, it's his first mega hit, he would close his concerts with it. It was probably his signature.

As much as I love "American Girl," there are a few of his songs that were more commercially successful and culturally relevant. "Freefalling," "Last Dance With Mary Jane," and "Won't Back Down" come to mind as being more signature-y for Petty.

"Running Down A Dream" or "Don't Come Around Here No More". I have a whole story about how I personally think "Don't Come Around Here No More" is Petty's signature song. But that is just for me.

May he rest.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 am

Not seeing Rolling Stones, either.

GIMME SHELTER

mad99

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:46 am

Not seeing any Right Said Fred
I’m too sexy

WildcatYXU

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:30 pm

seb146 wrote:

GIMME SHELTER

I'd argue that the signature tune would be Satisfaction.

Some more classics:

Eric Clapton - Layla
John Lennon - Imagine
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

seb146

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
seb146 wrote:

GIMME SHELTER

They had so many hits, too. It would be hard to pick just one.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:17 pm

seb146 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
seb146 wrote:

GIMME SHELTER

They had so many hits, too. It would be hard to pick just one.

Agreed.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

TYWoolman

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (no airplay, obviously, but considered his greatest by his peers) And it is amazing! Be prepared how music can truly move you and evoke something you never thought existed!

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 am

AC/DC- Highway to Hell
Kenny Loggins- Footloose
Bruce Springsteen- Born in the USA
Miley Cyrus- Party in the USA
Eminem- Lose Yourself
Red Hot Chili Peppers would be hard to single out just one but in terms of mass appeal (not my personal favorite of theirs but still good) I'd say Californication or Under the Bridge.
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Fortunate Son
Prince- Purple Rain
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Modest Mouse- Float On
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Green Day- American Idiot
Madonna- Like a Virgin
Cyndi Lauper- Girls Wanna Have Fun
The Doors- Riders on the Storm
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cadet985

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:48 am

The Beach Boys — Fun Fun Fun
Ben E. King — Stand By Me
Bon Jovi — Living on a Prayer
Chubby Checker — The Twist
The Everly Brothers — All I Have to do Is Dream
Willie Nelson — Always on my Mind
Journey — Don’t Stop Believing
Otis Redding — Dock of the Bay
Ritchie Valens — La Bamba

Want more?

Marc

Tugger

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:30 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers would be hard to single out just one but in terms of mass appeal (not my personal favorite of theirs but still good) I'd say Californication or Under the Bridge.

It's got to be Under the Bridge.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aaron747

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:44 am

TWA772LR wrote:
AC/DC- Highway to Hell
Kenny Loggins- Footloose
Eminem- Lose Yourself
Prince- Purple Rain
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Modest Mouse- Float On
Madonna- Like a Virgin

Have to take issue with ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ - Cobain stated in interviews he wasn’t that proud of the song as he was merely trying to see if he could write a pop song, it succeeded, and then it went mainstream to the point he didn’t feel like performing it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dahlgardo

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:55 am

Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love

that video....
https://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

directorguy

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:45 pm

I'll start with a few easy ones:

Celine Dion-My Heart Will Go On
Britney Spears-...Baby One More Time
Lady Gaga-Bad Romance
Whitney Houston-I Will Always Love You
Shania Twain-From This Moment
Bee Gees-How Deep Is Your Love/Stayin' Alive (impossible to say which is more "signature" than the other)
Amy Winehouse-Rehab

Then, there are a few singers I really can't decide. Rihanna for example. Most of her songs are massive hits, fan favorites, and get airplay even today. Another is Mariah Carey-a lot of signature songs, though now that the dust has settled a bit, maybe We Belong Together? For certain artists, not enough time has passed to be able to accurately assess their catalog, like Adele.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
AC/DC- Highway to Hell
Kenny Loggins- Footloose
Eminem- Lose Yourself
Prince- Purple Rain
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Modest Mouse- Float On
Madonna- Like a Virgin

Have to take issue with ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ - Cobain stated in interviews he wasn’t that proud of the song as he was merely trying to see if he could write a pop song, it succeeded, and then it went mainstream to the point he didn’t feel like performing it.

I understand. Nirvana had a lot of huge hits so it was hard for me to pick just one, I just went off of a top 90s songs show I saw and Teen Spirit was ranked #1.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

seb146

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:45 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane
Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light

I personally love Scorpion's "Holiday" but it gets so little air play it does not count.
Mealoaf? "I Would Do Anything For Love"
The only thing I have to say about Whitesnake is Tawny Kitaine dancing on the hood of those Jaguars was the closest I have ever come to heterosexuality.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun

Techincally, it can be argued that We've Only Just Begun is Paul Williams' signature song because he was the one who sang it originally - for an ad. :D

I would say "Close To You" is Carpenters signature song. I hear it much more than any other

hoons90

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger (apparently they are not too fond of Wonderwall)
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Supertramp - The Logical Song
Ace of Base - I Saw The Sign
A-Ha - Take On Me
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

hoons90

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:49 pm

directorguy wrote:
Whitney Houston-I Will Always Love You

This is not her original.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Tugger

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:

hoons90 wrote:
Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger (apparently they are not too fond of Wonderwall)

Honestly, I don't think the artist gets to decide their signature song, do they? I think that is up to their fans and audience. There are a number of artists/bands that hate the "fan favorite" that they have to sing over and over again. It might be a sad situation but it built their fans base and empire (however small or large that may be).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

stlgph

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 am

^^

And every so often you have an artist "brave" enough to leave one of their best known songs out of their sets. Like Seeger, for example, stopped doing "Night Moves" because he was tired of always "having to play it." Stevie Nicks on her last solo tour dropped "Dreams" from her set list but has admitted she will probably always play "Edge, Rhiannon, Stand Back and Gold Dust Woman" when doing at least a solo set.

In the 90s on Lilith Fair, Paula Cole skipped "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone" during the two times I saw her sets, which boggled me, since that song put her on the map.

Personally I'd love to be at a show where Buffett skips "Margaritaville." The reaction would be priceless.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Mortyman

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 am

Some Norwegian ones:

A-ha - Take on Me

Alan Walker: Faded

Kygo: Firestone

Dahlgardo

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:28 am

Last Christmas - George Michael (or Wham)

what a great artist and performer.
One of the best.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

luckyone

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:45 pm

directorguy wrote:

Shania Twain is one of those complicated ones. She, in effect, had two careers as she had considerable country-only success early in her career, and the songs after that had different levels of success depending on the radio market. "From This Moment" was originally recorded as a duet, and released as such on country radio. The solo version sounds very weird to me.
Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

hoons90 wrote:

Honestly, I don't think the artist gets to decide their signature song, do they? I think that is up to their fans and audience. There are a number of artists/bands that hate the "fan favorite" that they have to sing over and over again. It might be a sad situation but it built their fans base and empire (however small or large that may be).

Tugg

Let's also not forget that Kurt Cobain was painfully pretentious. Of course he would say he didn't like the song that made him wealthy. Nirvana is an example of stylistic Zeitgeist. Little else as their sound was a copy of somebody else's (The Pixies), and the lyrics--per their own admission--written hastily and with little thought.

And you're right, a lot of artists don't like their biggest hits. It's easy to overlook that your average radio listener is not an avid musician or using music to validate themselves. Some that come to my mind:

Tina Turner -- reportedly hated "What's Love Got to Do With It?" But she gladly sings it and takes the appearance fee. Good for her.
Cher -- reportedly had to be convinced to sing "Believe." Hasn't done a concert in 20 years without using the song as her encore.
U2 -- Bono is on record as saying that "Pride" is an incomplete song.

seb146

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Captain & Tinnile "Love Will Keep Us Together"
Barry Manilow "Copacabana"
Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight"

Fun story: I was about 5 years old when that song came out so I had no clue it was so.... adult. I thought it was about a picnic.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

hoons90 wrote:

Tugg

Granted, no argument from me. I was just going off the OP’s stipulation that the signature song be something ‘the artist would be proud of’.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Concierge

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:55 pm

casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Speaking of Bowie

Heroes

I've been listening to this version by King Crimson lately. Fripp was the guitarist on the studio recording.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JywkrIiXW8

1337Delta764

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Dave Koz - Together Again
Rick Braun - Cadillac Slim
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
Freddie Ravel - Sunny Side Up (pretty much a smooth jazz one hit wonder here)
Herb Alpert - Rise
David Sanborn - Chicago Song
Bob James - Angela
Al Jarraeu - We're In This Love Together
Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance
The Rippingtons - She Likes to Watch

LCDFlight
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
Captain & Tinnile "Love Will Keep Us Together"
Barry Manilow "Copacabana"
Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight"

Fun story: I was about 5 years old when that song came out so I had no clue it was so.... adult. I thought it was about a picnic.

That brings up Joy Division - Love will Tear Us Apart

Tugger

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

hoons90 wrote:

Tugg

Granted, no argument from me. I was just going off the OP’s stipulation that the signature song be something ‘the artist would be proud of’.

Good point!

Tugg

directorguy

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:24 pm

luckyone wrote:
directorguy wrote:

Shania Twain is one of those complicated ones. She, in effect, had two careers as she had considerable country-only success early in her career, and the songs after that had different levels of success depending on the radio market. "From This Moment" was originally recorded as a duet, and released as such on country radio. The solo version sounds very weird to me.

Growing up I must have heard that song a million times but only today did I find out that there was a duet version. Overseas I think Shania’s albums were arranged musically to sound more pop and less country.

A few more signature songs:

Enrique Iglesias - Hero
Ricky Martin- Livin La Vida Loca
Jennifer Lopez- On The Floor
Christina Aguilera- Beautiful
Roy Orbison- Pretty Woman
Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams
Texas- I Don’t Want A Lover
Snap- Rhythm is a Dancer
Bryan Adams- Everything I Do
Don Henley- Hotel California/ Boys of Summer (solo)
Donna Summer- Hot Stuff

ER757

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:39 pm

Was just thinking how long this thread is and no one (including me in my first post) mentioned Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd. Good Lord, if ever there was a signature song by a band this was it.
Full disclosure - I am not particularly fond of the song - way too long and drawn out jam at the end and the guitar solos are not all that impressive

luckyone

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:10 pm

ER757 wrote:
Was just thinking how long this thread is and no one (including me in my first post) mentioned Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd. Good Lord, if ever there was a signature song by a band this was it.
Full disclosure - I am not particularly fond of the song - way too long and drawn out jam at the end and the guitar solos are not all that impressive

Gee, did you have to go ruin it? I have large swaths of my Southern acquaintances that revere that song more than the Bible. Frankly, it nauseates me mostly because no song is ever that good and I can't hear the song without picturing a bunch of rednecks wetting themselves with unbridled excitement.
Last edited by luckyone on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyone

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:13 pm

directorguy wrote:
luckyone wrote:
directorguy wrote:

Growing up I must have heard that song a million times but only today did I find out that there was a duet version. Overseas I think Shania’s albums were arranged musically to sound more pop and less country.

Which one did you like better? Yes, the Come On Over album was remixed for overseas and US Pop radio play. Her next album, Up, was recorded three different ways (Country, Pop, Indian) and issued as a double album with some combination of two of those mixes, depending on the market. It makes describing her challenging, because she has no style, even with respect to the same song, because after "The Woman in Me," stylistically she went in every direction possible.

CollegeAviator

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Iron Maiden - a bit of a tough one, toss up between Number of the Beast and The Trooper
Megadeth - Hmm, Tornado of Souls!
Ghost - Square Hammer (didn't know about them until I heard them open for Iron Maiden, life's never been the same since :) )

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:30 pm

directorguy wrote:
luckyone wrote:
directorguy wrote:

A few more signature songs:

Enrique Iglesias - Hero
Ricky Martin- Livin La Vida Loca
Jennifer Lopez- On The Floor
Christina Aguilera- Beautiful
Roy Orbison- Pretty Woman
Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams
Texas- I Don’t Want A Lover
Snap- Rhythm is a Dancer
Bryan Adams- Everything I Do
Don Henley- Hotel California/ Boys of Summer (solo)
Donna Summer- Hot Stuff

Brian Adam’s is Summer of 69
Eurythmics have numerous signature songs.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:34 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Iron Maiden - a bit of a tough one, toss up between Number of the Beast and The Trooper
Ghost - Square Hammer (didn't know about them until I heard them open for Iron Maiden, life's never been the same since :) )

I hadn’t heard of Ghost until I saw them open for Foo Fighters, apparently Dave also moonlighted as a Nameless Ghoul a few times.

CollegeAviator

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 am

Kiwirob wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

I hadn’t heard of Ghost until I saw them open for Foo Fighters, apparently Dave also moonlighted as a Nameless Ghoul a few times.

I think I read an article quoting Tobias Forge that Dave Grohl did indeed play drums & guitar on some of their recordings a few years ago. Pretty cool..

fr8mech

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 am

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir.

Yes, I wrote Kashmir, not Stairway to Heaven.

:box:
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

directorguy

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 am

luckyone wrote:
directorguy wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Which one did you like better? Yes, the Come On Over album was remixed for overseas and US Pop radio play. Her next album, Up, was recorded three different ways (Country, Pop, Indian) and issued as a double album with some combination of two of those mixes, depending on the market. It makes describing her challenging, because she has no style, even with respect to the same song, because after "The Woman in Me," stylistically she went in every direction possible.

I love From This Moment-heard it many times, and it's a song I know inside out. In general I enjoy hearing new/different interpretations of songs I love-whether it's a cover, live recording, remix, or instrumental version. The duet version is great-to hear the male lover "answering back" in song really adds a new dimension.

I remember buying the Up album on tape in 2002-it came in two cassettes. The first was the Red/pop version. The second was the Blue/Indian remix version. I understand that in the US in lieu of the Blue version they released the Green/country version. I'm more used to the Red version. At one point I found a CD of Shania's first album (or maybe it was a compilation of unreleased songs), and that was great too. It was really sad when Shania stopped releasing new music for ages. I read online that she put out a new album recently, which I haven't heard yet.
I remember as a kid visiting the music store often, so was always up to date. Times have obviously changed-we don't really have music stores anymore, and I don't religiously follow the latest releases. Most of the stuff I listen to on my iPod/YouTube/music apps are old stuff-there's plenty of great material that keeps me going. The new stuff doesn't usually excite me.

Kiwirob wrote:

Brian Adam’s is Summer of 69
Eurythmics have numerous signature songs.

Summer of 69 is one of my favorite Bryan Adams songs (and there are many). Everything I Do was sort of his big ballad moment, and was on a lot of compilation CDs in the 90s.
Eurythmics another contender for signature song is Here Comes The Rain Again

ER757

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:07 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir.

Yep - I had that one as their signature song in my reply too - WAY better song than Stairway. They even figured it out later in their career when they used it as their closing song during the Page/Plant tours and the reunion concert at the O2 arena.
I'd put several of their songs above Stairway in my rankings: Achilles' Last Stand, How Many More Times, Since I've Been Loving You, Dazed and Confused

seb146

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:09 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Dave Koz - Together Again
Rick Braun - Cadillac Slim
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
Freddie Ravel - Sunny Side Up (pretty much a smooth jazz one hit wonder here)
Herb Alpert - Rise
David Sanborn - Chicago Song
Bob James - Angela
Al Jarraeu - We're In This Love Together
Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance
The Rippingtons - She Likes to Watch

It is hard to list instrumentals because I think few people know who did them in the first place.

I like your list but I am torn with Dave Koz and Herb Alpert. For Dave Koz, I would list his "signature song" as "Castle Of Dreams" and for Herb Alpert I would go with "Spanish Flea".

BlueberryWheats

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:43 pm

I'm torn with Pearl Jam. Their debut album "Ten" is basically an entire signature track.

But if I had to whittle it down, I'm torn between Alive and Black.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

ER757

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:54 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I'm torn with Pearl Jam. Their debut album "Ten" is basically an entire signature track.

But if I had to whittle it down, I'm torn between Alive and Black.

Gotta go with "Alive" - great jam, no one does those anymore......

LCDFlight
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

hoons90 wrote:

Tugg

This has to be a collaboration. The artist has to consent to it being their signature song, it has to be a song they are proud of, a song that highlights, for example, their lyrics or their music skills in a classic way. But, the audience has to love it, otherwise it can't be a "signature" of a famous artist. No forgotten album cuts. But it does NOT have to be their biggest single either. It just has to be well known.

fr8mech wrote:
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir.

This is a good example. Either choice is acceptable. Stairway is more ultra-famous in the general public, while the band and fans would probably rank Kashmir as the peak, the emotional touchstone. Both very worthy.

res77W

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

"Unbreak My Heart" is Toni Braxton's biggest hit, IINM. I think it was written by Diane Warren.

-Rowen

Tugger

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:39 pm

A few more I think belong:

Sophie B. Hawkins: Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover
Death Cab for Cutie: They seems to redefine themselves at times but I thinks "Soul meets Body" probably hits the "popular" best. (for me their signature song will always be: "I Will Possess Your Heart")
Cake: It's probably "The Distance" but I lean toward Short Skirt/Long Jacket"

Tugg

1337Delta764

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Also, Kenny G is a tossup between Songbird and Forever In Love. Songbird was one of his first major hits, but Forever In Love was on the best-selling smooth jazz album of all time, Breathless.

1337Delta764

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 pm

More smooth jazz examples:

Brian Hughes - Soul Fruit
Peter White - San Diego
Pieces of a Dream - Night Vision
Acoustic Alchemy - Mr. Chow
Marc Antione - Unity