Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

Trump Administration revives banned hunting techniques in Alaska which Obama had banned

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:12 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/clim ... nting.html

Imagine baiting bears with donuts, what sportsmen does that? I cannot help but mention donald trump jr. was awarded a permit to hunt grizzlies in Alaska. Is this coincidence or what? I forgot to mention also shooting animals while swimming in the water. I will bet the conversation in the trophy room never mentions donuts or swimming animals. :sarcastic:
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

casinterest

Re: trump Administration revives banned hunting techniques in Alaska which Obama had banned

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:23 pm

The Ban was lifted so lazy unethical people could do easy damage to the ecosystem. This isn't about sportsmanship or food.
Where ever you go, there you are.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Re: trump Administration revives banned hunting techniques in Alaska which Obama had banned

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
The Ban was lifted so lazy unethical people could do easy damage to the ecosystem. This isn't about sportsmanship or food.

I just replied and it is gone, imagine that.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:31 pm

casinterest wrote:

I agree, what sport is it to kill a bear from a far distance after baiting them, or to shoot a swimming animal? I find it repugnant.

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Would you look at that. Must be vapors. Some animals don't let you get too close. Baiting is allowed in several placed, but as usual, the rules are complex, such as you can bait when the season is closed, but you can't do it during open season.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:51 pm

extender wrote:
Would you look at that. Must be vapors. Some animals don't let you get too close. Baiting is allowed in several placed, but as usual, the rules are complex, such as you can bait when the season is closed, but you can't do it during open season.

When you have a cannon in your hand that would stop a train, not much sport to any of it. When you are using a long range scope, not much sport to it., when an animal is swimming, not much sport to it. Just blood lust to me. A bragging point is all. The swimming one really gets to me,I find it repugnant.

casinterest

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:09 pm

All you have to know about Trump's incompetence is in this article. He is getting rid of regulations to preserver the environment for all people in favor of destroying it by getting rid of rules,
Meanwhile he is withholding federal funds from states that are working on opening up access to all voters during Covid.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
extender wrote:

When you have a cannon in your hand that would stop a train, not much sport to any of it. When you are using a long range scope, not much sport to it., when an animal is swimming, not much sport to it. Just blood lust to me. A bragging point is all. The swimming one really gets to me,I find it repugnant.

Exactly, how much hunting have you done, WAR? Any “cannon” held in a hand OR a shoulder that can stop a train aren’t being fired by hunters—simple physics says if it stopped the train, it’d kill the shooter.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvado

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Not sure how things are in Alaska, but here in upstate NY we had a bear wandering in the middle of a city today. NY state total bear harvest (term used to describe the number of bears taken by hunters and other means) is 1000-1500 bears a year; and deer overpopulation becomes a problem as there are no more flesh flies to control population, nor enough hunters to do the same...

Sometimes this is really about control of environment rather than a sport...

BravoOne

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
extender wrote:

Exactly, how much hunting have you done, WAR? Any “cannon” held in a hand OR a shoulder that can stop a train aren’t being fired by hunters—simple physics says if it stopped the train, it’d kill the shooter.

I seriously doubt there are many hunters, or for that matter gun owners amongst this group of posters.

casinterest

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 pm

BravoOne wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I seriously doubt there are many hunters, or for that matter gun owners amongst this group of posters.

Not many scientists or engineers either. A train can be stopped by taking out the track it runs on. Much like a plane can be taken out by Shrapnel.

Either way such uses of force are illegal for a reason, and for the same reason they should be illegal for standard hunting.

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:45 pm

You can't use a cannon to hunt either. You must think that using a scoped rifle is a guarantee. It is apparent that you know nothing about hunting nor the principles of conservation.

BravoOne

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:47 pm

extender wrote:
You can't use a cannon to hunt either. You must think that using a scoped rifle is a guarantee. It is apparent that you know nothing about hunting nor the principles of conservation.

Who are you directing this comment to??

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:57 pm

BravoOne wrote:
extender wrote:

Who are you directing this comment to??

WarRI1 et al.

rfields5421

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:11 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/climate/trump-bear-hunting.html

Imagine baiting bears with donuts, what sportsmen does that? I cannot help but mention donald trump jr. was awarded a permit to hunt grizzlies in Alaska. Is this coincidence or what? I forgot to mention also shooting animals while swimming in the water. I will bet the conversation in the trophy room never mentions donuts or swimming animals. :sarcastic:

While I don't know enough about the local details of the issue, I can safely say that bears are a THREAT to humans in many places in Alaska. I've got a friend with a $350,000 motorhome who proudly displays the scars on the door where a bear tried to get inside the motorhome one night. They were parked in an RV park in downtown Fairbanks at the time.

Local police responded to their 911 call first with noise and lights, finally resorting to rubber bullets, to drive the bear off.

A home owner killed the bear the next night when it broke into his home, a few blocks away.

I see few justifications for an AR-15 with a 60 round magazine, but that was one.

I LIKE bears. Seeing them in the wild in Big Bend NP, Thomaston, CT (downtown), Leavenworth, WA (nearby RV park) within the past 6 years has been amazing. But I also know they are potentially extremely dangerous animals if cornered or surprised.
Last edited by rfields5421 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who wander are lost.

trpmb6

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 pm

As a hunter and an engineer it seems I'm quite qualified to post on this matter apparently.

Baiting is legal in Kansas for Deer. Not many do it because it isn't necessary. You just hunt the food source.. which in most cases happens to be a wheat field. If we didn't control the deer population we wouldn't have good harvests.

In Alaska, much of the population still relies upon hunting as a means for food. Largely the native populations inland away from the cities. Are you going to get the occasional trophy hunter? Yes, but that's not what this is about. Most bear hunting in Alaska and other states primarily focus on black bear hunting anyways. Though you do get the occasional grizzly bear who fancies cattle meat after getting a taste for how easy it is to get to them - those unfortunately will be culled if the habit continues.

I assure you, there is "sport" in using a high powered rifle. Understanding wind dynamics beyond 200 yards is very important. It takes a lot of skill to shoot something beyond 500 yards. I'll be the first to admit I will not make a shot that far as I would likely miss or seriously injure the animal causing needless suffering. Only the most skilled hunters will make a shot that far and in most cases even they wouldn't take it in poor conditions.

Just because you disagree with a way of life doesn't mean you can spout nonsense that couldn't be further from the truth.

As for a bullet stopping a train, sure I guess if you hit the spot it could (though it would take some time to slow it down unlike the train Will Smith stops in the movie Hancock). But lets be honest, that was a terrible analogy only used to incite shock and awe response. A click bait type of ridiculous claim. If you want to have a serious discussion about a topic, try not to use that type of tactic - the response you get will just end up being reciprocal in nature.

trpmb6

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:18 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

While I don't know enough about the local details of the issue, I can safely say that bears are a THREAT to humans in many places in Alaska. I've got a friend with a $350,000 motorhome who proudly displays the scars on the door where a bear tried to get inside the motorhome one night. They were parked in an RV park in downtown Fairbanks at the time.

Local police responded to their 911 call first with noise and lights, finally resorting to rubber bullets, to drive the bear off.

A home owner killed the bear the next night when it broke into his home, a few blocks away.

I see few justifications for an AR-15 with a 60 round magazine, but that was one.

I LIKE bears. Seeing them in the wild in Big Bend NP, Thomaston, CT (downtown), Leavenworth, WA (nearby RV park) within the past 6 years has been amazing. But I also know they are potentially extremely dangerous animals if cornered or surprised.

AR-15's have a standard 30 round magazine. Not aware of any that can hold 60, though there are drums that hold 100-200 rounds that usually jam before you get that far. They do have a bracket/clip type thing that will attach two mags together so you can quickly swap two 30 round magazines as if you had 60 - that's about as close as you'll get as far as I know. (And lets be honest, for all intents and purposes 2 30s attached to each other are basically a 60 in the grand scheme of timing - especially with practice) Though, I wouldn't fire 60 rounds that fast. That barrel would be more than hot enough to cook bacon on.

Sorry, not trying to be pedantic... I guess I am though.

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:24 pm

I wouldn't use an AR in bear country. More like an M-1A with bonded soft points. And in most places, you cannot have more than five rounds in a magazine for a center-fire rifle. I think Surefire makes a 60, but it tends to stick and create another world of troubles.

casinterest

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

AR-15's have a standard 30 round magazine. Not aware of any that can hold 60, though there are drums that hold 100-200 rounds that usually jam before you get that far. They do have a bracket/clip type thing that will attach two mags together so you can quickly swap two 30 round magazines as if you had 60 - that's about as close as you'll get as far as I know. (And lets be honest, for all intents and purposes 2 30s attached to each other are basically a 60 in the grand scheme of timing - especially with practice) Though, I wouldn't fire 60 rounds that fast. That barrel would be more than hot enough to cook bacon on.

Sorry, not trying to be pedantic... I guess I am though.

But now we are off the case. The Ban was only on Federal lands. What everyone is now talking about is a local issue in a local town.

rfields5421

Re: Trump Administration revives banned hunting techniques in Alaska which Obama had banned

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:30 pm

Federal land is a big patchwork in Alaska. Major cities have federal wilderness land right up to their borders. It isn't always remote areas.

True, most hunting does occur far away from populated areas.
Not all who wander are lost.

extender

Re: Trump Administration revives banned hunting techniques in Alaska which Obama had banned

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:33 pm

But the States manage the wildlife. And yes, you can hunt on federal land.

casinterest

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:38 pm

extender wrote:
But the States manage the wildlife. And yes, you can hunt on federal land.

This I know, but at the same time, The feds have the right to ban items on federal properties. Much of the reason why Alaska manages the wildlife is because in the past the feds lack of rules allowed for depletion of the stocks in many areas as hunters and commercial interests used targeted methods that were very efficient at wiping out much of the natural predator prey state. in addition to the wildlife.

Dieuwer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Personally I am against killing for entertainment. Also not a fan of zoos or aquariums. If you want to see animals, go on safari.

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:44 pm

And just as Obama banned certain practices, any following administration can un-do previous edicts. Hunting isn't as easy as the OP alludes to.

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:06 pm

extender wrote:

Except that is not what this is about.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bmartino99

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:09 pm

As a former Alaskan resident, why not just let Alaskans decide the appropriate methods for hunting in their state? The Alaska Department of Fish and Game does exceptionally well managing the wildlife of the state. Alaska is not the Lower 48, fresh meat at the grocery store is 5-10X more expensive, if its available at all depending on how remote one's location is. People are trying to fill their freezers as efficiently as possible. For a lot of these subsistence hunters it isn't about sport, its about providing food for their family and community.

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
extender wrote:

Except that is not what this is about.

One of your allies pointed that out, and was a reply to him. As simple as an overturn of a previous administration. Stem cell research is a good example.

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:12 pm

extender wrote:
And just as Obama banned certain practices, any following administration can un-do previous edicts. Hunting isn't as easy as the OP alludes to.

Did you read what bans were lifted? Using spotlights to blind mother bears to kill them and using bacon covered doughnuts to lure bears into traps and shooting caribou while they are swimming. No, hunting is not easy. It is not supposed to be. Just like people who feel they need to pull off 40 rounds a minute to hunt. Maybe they should consider becoming vegan.

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:15 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
As a former Alaskan resident, why not just let Alaskans decide the appropriate methods for hunting in their state? The Alaska Department of Fish and Game does exceptionally well managing the wildlife of the state. Alaska is not the Lower 48, fresh meat at the grocery store is 5-10X more expensive, if its available at all depending on how remote one's location is. People are trying to fill their freezers as efficiently as possible. For a lot of these subsistence hunters it isn't about sport, its about providing food for their family and community.

That's all well and good but it opens up a whole can of worms. People from the Lower 48 will want to go make trophy kills just to say they killed a bear. It has been almost four years since Obama left office so I am sure Alaska Fish & Game has come up with new laws and rules for their state to hunt based on Obama era regulations.

How does this stand next to the lifting of restrictions on toxic dumping?

extender

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Yes, it has been years since Obama left office, but his minions are embedded everywhere, DoI is a good place for them to hide. Maybe some of the appointees have made changes, or acting people are doing it for crap and giggles. Don't let your undergarments get over-torqued.

Aesma

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 pm

kalvado wrote:
Not sure how things are in Alaska, but here in upstate NY we had a bear wandering in the middle of a city today. NY state total bear harvest (term used to describe the number of bears taken by hunters and other means) is 1000-1500 bears a year; and deer overpopulation becomes a problem as there are no more flesh flies to control population, nor enough hunters to do the same...

Aren't you describing several manmade "controls" that caused the situation in the first place ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

kalvado

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Aesma wrote:
kalvado wrote:

Aren't you describing several manmade "controls" that caused the situation in the first place ?

To some extent. two things to keep in mind:
1. We, humans, heavily modified environment to our advantage. Few of us would survive without that, definitely not as many people as we have today. We need those fields with wheat, corn, cotton; we need those farms with cows, chicken a sheep. We need those cities, roads, factories. Many places - Las Vegas or Phoenix come to mind - plainly cannot exist without tons of environmental modifications. If you want to give your share back to mother nature, feel free to stop at a nearest gun shop and use your purchase wisely.
2. Nature itself is not stable. After a good year, there may be many animals who would starve to death during lean years. If you don't consider regulating bears year to year - they may consider you for lunch during those lean years.

With that in mind - we, humans, need regulation to the environment to keep your yummy riches - our bread, butter, our tasty bodies - intact. People in big cities may not realize that - but that is the truth nonetheless. Alternative is a return to 20-30 years life expectancy of primitive society.
Hunting can be a sport - but it can also be self-defense or means of survival, as described above. And then rules do change.

trpmb6

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 pm

I know this off topic but I was curious how many acres it takes to feed New York Metro.. if you assume one acre per person (depending on consumption rates and diet that's either slightly too high or slightly too low - America tends to eat more beef so that pushes it higher) you're in the neighborhood of 20+ million acres to support the metro.

Also, did you know that New York sends its garbage to North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio and other states. 26 thousand tons per day. Crazy.

And because it was an interesting statistic, the United states has 2 million acres of Golf courses.

On topic. I agree with the post from the former Alaskan resident. People in cities can complain all the way want about a lifestyle they don't understand. Why don't you try and leave your urban lifestyle for theirs and see how long you last.

This is why The Hatchet should be required reading for everyone in 4th-5th grade.

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Maybe the State of Alaska should limit their hunting licences to only residents of Alaska? People who actually know what they are doing?

BTW, it is not just "people in cities" who "complain.... about a lifestyle they don't understand". Every day we see many across rural America complain about city dwellers with zero understanding. What's good for the goose.....

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
extender wrote:

A pathetic reply to me. "Cannon" a common nickname or exaggeration of a powerful weapon, even a handgun. Stop a train, stop a truck, a common nickname or exaggeration of the power of that weapon. In this state where the Mafia was common, we used such all the time to describe powerful firearms.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:58 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

A pathetic reply to me. "Cannon" a common nickname or exaggeration of a powerful weapon, even a handgun. Stop a train, stop a truck, a common nickname or exaggeration of the power of that weapon. In this state where the Mafia was common, we used such all the time to describe powerful firearms.

I gues you’re like Trump then, taken seriously but not literally. I prefer more accurate terms, not Mafioso slang, but RI was run by the Anguilos. I tend to the use of correct, accurate terminology.

Cannon does come from Old Italian, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 am

It seems like a page has disappeared, I know I replied to the above.