Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Delta CEO vocalization on issues

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Delta has always publicly thought it good business policy to make statements on current events. But why not on condemning the anarchistic child-like city within a city in their fledgling Pacific hub? And why not publicly and unequivocally defend against the defunding of police departments, the ramifications of which would lead to chaos and dwindling economic engines in their hub cities? This is not a political post, but more an economic one.

usdcaguy

Re: Delta CEO vocalization on issues

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Airlines should not be involved in political matters, though they are through their offices in DC and other world capitals. They should be focusing solely on flying people around comfortably and on time, which is not an easy task to begin with. Defunding the police is very political and a highly polarized issue in the US, so I doubt Delta wants to get involved in that conversation. It's also not one to discuss on a-net.

bigb

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Wrong section of the forums for this question to be honest.

MIflyer12

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Because Bastian is generally smart enough not to comment on highly contentious issues. It's one thing to come out against human trafficking - few people are in favor it. It's quite something else to say 'You're doing law enforcement wrong - shut down that peaceful protest.'

The statement that yours isn't a political view rings very hollow.

SESGDL

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Because Bastian is generally smart enough not to comment on highly contentious issues. It's one thing to come out against human trafficking - few people are in favor it. It's quite something else to say 'You're doing law enforcement wrong - shut down that peaceful protest.'

All great points. And DL's well aware that in the current world of "cancel culture" and social justice warriors and activists, there's a big contingent of people who will be very vocal about their discontent with a company taking a side on such contentious issues (and using their wallets accordingly).

Jeremy

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Law and order makes a democracy and paying passengers, so quite economic in spirit. But take it as you will.

Triple7Lr

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Delta has always publicly thought it good business policy to make statements on current events. But why not on condemning the anarchistic child-like city within a city in their fledgling Pacific hub? And why not publicly and unequivocally defend against the defunding of police departments, the ramifications of which would lead to chaos and dwindling economic engines in their hub cities? This is not a political post, but more an economic one.

What do protesters mean when they say defund the police?

enilria

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Triple7Lr wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

If you asked 10 you would get 10 answers.

This post will be deleted or moved in a few minutes I bet.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:19 pm

I don't think DL is the only airline that needs to consider their position on this. Airlines in general need law enforcement. How will airlines deal with unruly, abusive and violent passengers if there are no law enforcement officers available?

Even if funding is reduced and police forces are not abolished, the reduced funding will mean police departments will need to allocate their funds to areas of greatest need. Airlines benefit from having law enforcement available quickly to deal with unruly, abusive and violent passengers. Without law enforcement, flights will have to be cancelled and planes offloaded whenever there is a situation with a passenger who refuses to comply or is violent and abusive. Passengers who are violent and abusive will quickly learn that law enforcement won't be coming.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:25 pm

enilria wrote:
Triple7Lr wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

If you asked 10 you would get 10 answers.

This post will be deleted or moved in a few minutes I bet.

The post is unique and has economic ramifications, regardless of whether or not we admit they are happening in our country before our very eyes, or what our position is. I guess was looking for someone to stand up to law and order as good business practice. Was hoping my favorite airline would do just that.

Triple7Lr

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:26 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
I don't think DL is the only airline that needs to consider their position on this. Airlines in general need law enforcement. How will airlines deal with unruly, abusive and violent passengers if there are no law enforcement officers available?

Even if funding is reduced and police forces are not abolished, the reduced funding will mean police departments will need to allocate their funds to areas of greatest need. Airlines benefit from having law enforcement available quickly to deal with unruly, abusive and violent passengers. Without law enforcement, flights will have to be cancelled and planes offloaded whenever there is a situation with a passenger who refuses to comply or is violent and abusive. Passengers who are violent and abusive will quickly learn that law enforcement won't be coming.

After the incident on UA my airline has directed staff to use law enforcement a lot less and it’s worked out so far.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Triple7Lr wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

After the incident on UA my airline has directed staff to use law enforcement a lot less and it’s worked out so far.

But it's there if needed.

B52overSMF

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 pm

TYWoolman wrote:

This is not a political post? The moment you interjected your personal opinion of "child-like" it became a political post. Not to mention the rest regarding particular political policy actions.
Conqueror of air molecules.

rampbro

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 pm

I doubt you'd ever see a CEO directly confront issues like this with prescriptive statements. Like the NFL, if Delta will say anything, it will be a statement of support for BLM (if they haven't already) - lead from behind and signal the organization's openness to dialogue.There's no strategic value in getting into it with anyone.
As for the condemnation of the CHAZ - did any airlines say anything about Occupy? Why would Delta say anything about this? It's a drop in the bucket, and frankly a useful distraction for folks who aren't interested in having the tough conversations America needs right now.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Triple7Lr wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

Law enforcement are still frequently used when there is a need to remove a violent passenger. If the police aren't available either through abolishment or defunding, airlines are going to have to find ways of dealing with these incidents. It will likely mean needing to pay for their own private security.

I also imagine lawsuits will skyrocket. If the deterrent effect is not there, there will likely be increases in sexual harassment and assault caused by drunk passengers and passengers who feel emboldened by the lack of consequences.

Airlines benefit greatly from having law enforcement available if needed and they benefit from the deterrent effect.

Triple7Lr

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
Triple7Lr wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

Law enforcement are still frequently used when there is a need to remove a violent passenger. If the police aren't available either through abolishment or defunding, airlines are going to have to find ways of dealing with these incidents. It will likely mean needing to pay for their own private security.

I also imagine lawsuits will skyrocket. If the deterrent effect is not there, there will likely be increases in sexual harassment and assault caused by drunk passengers and passengers who feel emboldened by the lack of consequences.

Airlines benefit greatly from having law enforcement available if needed and they benefit from the deterrent effect.

Just speaking for my airline. Calling a LEO is by far the last step. After the UA event we established procedures to de-escalate. There was even an instance where a passenger refused to get off so we just swapped planes and didn’t let the board the new aircraft.

LEOs aren’t going away. I also don’t interrupt defund the police as abolish the police but rather reallocate funds to programs that prevent crime. Similar to what the Dallas Chief of Police talked about.

Aesma

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Isn't police at airports paid by the airport/airlines/passengers anyway ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:15 am

yes, it's included in the ticket price under taxes.

getting back on subject. I am expecting for Delta CEO to say something. As a brand, it would be smarter than not saying anything at all.
I for one am appalled at Georgia right now. I often thought they should have moved their hub a long time ago.

BravoOne

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:59 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
yes, it's included in the ticket price under taxes.

getting back on subject. I am expecting for Delta CEO to say something. As a brand, it would be smarter than not saying anything at all.
I for one am appalled at Georgia right now. I often thought they should have moved their hub a long time ago.

Certainly you would not expect DL to move out of ATL because of this perceived injustice? To quote or current front runner for the 2020 election. "Come on man".