Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TYWoolman
Topic Author

A safer travel experience for all paying passengers

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:26 pm

As airlines take a stance on inclusivity, diversity and the like, what, if any, have they said about law enforcement and the rule of law? Are we to believe that diversity takes care of this? What about the passenger that wants to wear police apparel in show of support of their police department on-board an aircraft? Will this be threatening to some? Will police families be offered the same protections as others while expressing their first amendment rights? Are airline diversity proclamations failing in some areas or out-right ignoring what is the foundation of robust economy? Or are we in a new era where industry, including the airlines, cater to, at times, media spectacle or baiting? I think more can be done in protecting and supporting where it fundamentally counts the most.

11C

Re: A safer travel experience for all paying passengers

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
As airlines take a stance on inclusivity, diversity and the like, what, if any, have they said about law enforcement and the rule of law? Are we to believe that diversity takes care of this? What about the passenger that wants to wear police apparel in show of support of their police department on-board an aircraft? Will this be threatening to some? Will police families be offered the same protections as others while expressing their first amendment rights? Are airline diversity proclamations failing in some areas or out-right ignoring what is the foundation of robust economy? Or are we in a new era where industry, including the airlines, cater to, at times, media spectacle or baiting? I think more can be done in protecting and supporting where it fundamentally counts the most.

I find it difficult to completely separate politics from discussions about almost anything , but with this you are diving into the deep end. Good luck.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 pm

11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

I find it difficult to completely separate politics from discussions about almost anything , but with this you are diving into the deep end. Good luck.

Good luck for what?

11C

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:24 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Good luck for what?

There are lots of questions here. I’m not smart enough to balance all those constitutional issues when I’m at work, nor do I want to. By the same token, our U.S. constitutional protections may, or may not apply in other countries. Our job is to deliver what our company deems to be a safe, and enjoyable travel experience. Beyond that, I’ll let other departments, or government agencies deal with all the other stuff you mention. I offer good luck because the questions you ask are beyond the scope of my job. Maybe that’s not true for you.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:48 pm

11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:

Good luck for what?

There are lots of questions here. I’m not smart enough to balance all those constitutional issues when I’m at work, nor do I want to. By the same token, our U.S. constitutional protections may, or may not apply in other countries. Our job is to deliver what our company deems to be a safe, and enjoyable travel experience. Beyond that, I’ll let other departments, or government agencies deal with all the other stuff you mention. I offer good luck because the questions you ask are beyond the scope of my job. Maybe that’s not true for you.

Thanks for that. My questions are rather simple in nature and don't require as much depth and analysis as many here think. In my opinion, companies are quick to mold themselves into different agendas (without investigating full and true undertones) and, thus, unintentionally or intentionally alienate what such agenda is against, contributing to what I think is the long-term detriment of the very security companies enjoy now that enables such expression.

Would it be so difficult for a company to publicly thank Law Enforcement and the economic prosperity that Law and Order provide? Or is that not good business policy (?).

Aesma

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:59 pm

When a LEO just killed someone for no reason, thanking LEO is like saying "good job killing that guy". Consequence, even more chaos. Law and Order should be Law, Order and Justice to really make sense. Without justice, there is no order.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Aesma wrote:
When a LEO just killed someone for no reason, thanking LEO is like saying "good job killing that guy". Consequence, even more chaos. Law and Order should be Law, Order and Justice to really make sense. Without justice, there is no order.

Agree on justice and not minimizing this sad tragedy. In addition, looting, rioting and stealing in the aftermath is not justice either. Killing an officer to loot is not justice either. Defunding police or eradicating police is not justice either. All these things are very much out there and any company can ascertain this but none have yet to acknowledge. Police can use better training and de-escalation techniques for sure. It's a noble and very difficult profession that deserves respect! Much more good than bad. Better policing is essential but also better community involvement in addressing the real problems affecting the community. Police are not the killing machines the media and blm want you to believe! Nonetheless, if you can't love your police department for what it is now, love it for what it can become!

ltbewr

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm

We have seen since 9/11 persons in military or police uniforms usually get better than usual treatment from other passengers. There might be a few jerks giving hassles to fellow pax who are in police uniforms, but I expect it to be very rare if in uniform flying on official business, usually they wear normal dress clothes. Even then the harasser may be in the wrong and the F/A cannot allow harassment or discrimination. Likely they might move either of them to other seats.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
We have seen since 9/11 persons in military or police uniforms usually get better than usual treatment from other passengers. There might be a few jerks giving hassles to fellow pax who are in police uniforms, but I expect it to be very rare if in uniform flying on official business, usually they wear normal dress clothes. Even then the harasser may be in the wrong and the F/A cannot allow harassment or discrimination. Likely they might move either of them to other seats.

Appreciate you response. However, the question I posed about that was more rhetorical in nature (in light of the prevalent, one-sided prejudice that exists) rather than it being the focal point.

kalvado

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:59 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:
Would it be so difficult for a company to publicly thank Law Enforcement and the economic prosperity that Law and Order provide? Or is that not good business policy (?).

Would it affect passenger safety to any extent, as the title of the thread assumes?

cpd

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:21 pm

TYWoolman wrote:

I don’t even know where you’d get such apparel unless you are actually Police. “In support of”.

We’ve been warned when out and about to not display any official identification such as ID tags, name badges, etc ever since IS started their campaign of terror attacks.

Unlike Police, we don’t have a set uniform we must wear.

What you’d probably find in my city is disruptive passengers in trains, etc are usually given a big telling off by other passengers.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 pm

kalvado wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:

Would it affect passenger safety to any extent, as the title of the thread assumes?

Not necessarily, but sometimes perceived safety is just as important, and an airline's public support can engender that.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:50 pm

cpd wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

I don’t even know where you’d get such apparel unless you are actually Police. “In support of”.

We’ve been warned when out and about to not display any official identification such as ID tags, name badges, etc ever since IS started their campaign of terror attacks.

Unlike Police, we don’t have a set uniform we must wear.

What you’d probably find in my city is disruptive passengers in trains, etc are usually given a big telling off by other passengers.

Thanks for response. I was using those examples as more of a rhetorical question to support the view that police officers, law enforcement and the enforcing of rule of law are often left out of public support, quite intentionally, in order to appease a political view fueled by media and at times misguided claims.

stl07

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:08 am

TYWoolman wrote:

Airlines have one job. To transport passengers safely to their destination. They don't care if you are black or white, Antifa or Trump Supporter, Muslim or Jewish. If you are wearing a police lives matter shirt and a mask (so to not threaten the safety of other passengers) and are a respectful passenger, you get to board and enjoy a nice flight. If you are wearing a pride rainbow shirt and are throwing punches at the FA, you get deboarded as you were threatening the safety of those on board. Simple.

Don't understand why you are so triggered
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:51 pm

stl07 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Airlines have one job. To transport passengers safely to their destination. They don't care if you are black or white, Antifa or Trump Supporter, Muslim or Jewish. If you are wearing a police lives matter shirt and a mask (so to not threaten the safety of other passengers) and are a respectful passenger, you get to board and enjoy a nice flight. If you are wearing a pride rainbow shirt and are throwing punches at the FA, you get deboarded as you were threatening the safety of those on board. Simple.

Don't understand why you are so triggered

My original post speaks for itself and right on target. Can't help that you cannot understand it.

Aesma

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Wasn't there a story some years ago about someone being removed from a flight because of an "offensive" Tshirt ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

jetwet1

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 am

TYWoolman wrote:

Okay, where to start...

You are on private property, you're first amendment rights have gone out the window.

Will there be people who are threatened by this ? Maybe

Are airlines diverse...Yeah, they already do a pretty good job of hiring all races, sexes and sexual orientations.

A new era....No, businesses want to conduct business, make money, employ people without having to deal with BS.

The point I am getting at is, feel free to show your support for law enforcement, but there is a time and a place for it and on an aircraft is neither.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:28 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Okay, where to start...

You are on private property, you're first amendment rights have gone out the window.

Are airlines diverse...Yeah, they already do a pretty good job of hiring all races, sexes and sexual orientations.

A new era....No, businesses want to conduct business, make money, employ people without having to deal with BS.

The point I am getting at is, feel free to show your support for law enforcement, but there is a time and a place for it and on an aircraft is neither.

Yet an airline can publicly claim to be proud of diversity (?) Does diversity not include law enforcement and all the protections thereof or are we only allowed to feel safe in the advertisement of the color of our skin or our flamboyant homosexuality, for examples?

11C

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:51 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Okay, where to start...

Yet an airline can publicly claim to be proud of diversity (?) Does diversity not include law enforcement and all the protections thereof or are we only allowed to feel safe in the advertisement of the color of our skin or our flamboyant homosexuality, for examples?

Wow! You are really fishing here. Not many bites, but you are revealing your biases.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 pm

11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Okay, where to start...

Wow! You are really fishing here. Not many bites, but you are revealing your biases.

You have revealed yours . Diversity means everyone, does it not? Wow.

kalvado

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Diversity usually assumes religious, ethinc, racial, gender issues - I never saw professional aspects being included into the concept of diversity.
However, wearing uniform when not traveling for business within officer's jurisdiction may give rise to some ethics issues.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm

kalvado wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:

Diversity usually assumes religious, ethinc, racial, gender issues - I never saw professional aspects being included into the concept of diversity.
However, wearing uniform when not traveling for business within officer's jurisdiction may give rise to some ethics issues.

Diversity is great! However, "diversity" today in America can be seen as more of a political and social means to exclude some, rather than full inclusion. To put it another way, diversity today has perceived connotations to mean certain ethnicities only. This is not brain surgery. Companies can ascertain this but yet they still not take stances that can truly unite all. Law enforcement (while not without rebuke) are often perceived to be those against the diverse group labeled "diversity", and this cannot be further from the truth!

kalvado

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:04 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
kalvado wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Diversity is great! However, "diversity" today in America can be seen as more of a political and social means to exclude some, rather than full inclusion. To put it another way, diversity today has perceived connotations to mean certain ethnicities only. This is not brain surgery. Companies can ascertain this but yet they still not take stances that can truly unite all. Law enforcement (while not without rebuke) are often perceived to be those against the diverse group labeled "diversity", and this cannot be further from the truth!

So, again, what is your solution?

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:18 pm

kalvado wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
kalvado wrote:

So, again, what is your solution?

Thanks for the question. For one, companies should publicly take a stance that Law Enforcement defunding or disbanding per se is not in the interests of the communities in which they serve. The United States is a police state. Our democracy is predicated on law and order, not chaos, looting, burning with goals of complete and utter destruction of economic vitality and innocent life. Furthermore, civil rights have progressed well!!!! Communities need to look "within" for long-term prosperity rather than "without" for outside validation. If a company takes a stance on diversity and all the wonders it can do during the context of national unrest (and I am not discrediting diversity by any means) there should be an equal and opposite stance on those who risk their lives to protect us all, despite the ill-founded yet incredulously popular notion that police are the bad guys. Police allow economies to flourish and the American Dream to be protected! Protection of property is key! No airline would exist without them! Therefore, I think it incumbent of any CEO to publicly show their support. If not, I am afraid their silence is just pandering with no true justice for anyone to evolve in the long-term. (Not that true race relations is predicated from within the aviation realm only).

jetwet1

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 am

At this point, the OP is acting more like a troll than someone with a point to make.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:41 am

jetwet1 wrote:
At this point, the OP is acting more like a troll than someone with a point to make.

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

Not my intention except to find rational discord since this perspective I raise is not discussed in the media. Is this post not in the correct forum? Do you care not to elaborate your position? But I get it! Any written disagreement or elaboration will be in effect trolling your views as well. Smart move!
I admire your viewpoint, however succinct and shallow, which undoubtedly have contributed (by either your words or your actions, or inactions for that matter) to the challenges we face as a country! Regards. And FYI, your response brings the topic to the top of the list. Thank you!

11C

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 am

TYWoolman wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

Not my intention except to find rational discord since this perspective I raise is not discussed in the media. Is this post not in the correct forum? Do you care not to elaborate your position? But I get it! Any written disagreement or elaboration will be in effect trolling your views as well. Smart move!
I admire your viewpoint, however succinct and shallow, which undoubtedly have contributed (by either your words or your actions, or inactions for that matter) to the challenges we face as a country! Regards. And FYI, your response brings the topic to the top of the list. Thank you!

So, you are essentially trolling us. The reason I don’t elaborate my position is because it is irrelevant. An airline CEO’s feeling about what you have discussed above-also irrelevant. The job is to transport people from A to B safely. I don’t make PA’s about my bloody political leanings, ok. Do you get it now?

N583JB

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:04 am

I really don't think 99% of people would care if a passenger wore a "support the police" t shirt, and if a passenger did happen to object, that issue could be solved diplomatically by moving a passenger to a different seat.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm

11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

So, you are essentially trolling us. The reason I don’t elaborate my position is because it is irrelevant. An airline CEO’s feeling about what you have discussed above-also irrelevant. The job is to transport people from A to B safely. I don’t make PA’s about my bloody political leanings, ok. Do you get it now?

You would make a good police officer! Delta has made many public stances on various issues, but none to the acknowledgement of law and order and those who risk their lives to provide us just that, including that which protects you and your opportunity to criticize me. And anyone can discern your political leanings. So, please, stop trolling.

11C

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 am

TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

You would make a good police officer! Delta has made many public stances on various issues, but none to the acknowledgement of law and order and those who risk their lives to provide us just that, including that which protects you and your opportunity to criticize me. And anyone can discern your political leanings. So, please, stop trolling.

No person, or entity protect my right to free speech (criticize you, as you describe it). It’s enshrined in the first 10 amendments of the Constitution. Many employees of government agencies swear to defend the Constitution, but my rights come from the Constitution, not the police department. As an example, I never went on a First Amendment protection mission in the military, but I did swear an oath to defend the constitution in the conduct of my job, which is how police should be conducting themselves in their job. So, I don’t get the right from the police, but my right is a limitation on their power. Does that make sense?

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:48 pm

11C wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
11C wrote:

No person, or entity protect my right to free speech (criticize you, as you describe it). It’s enshrined in the first 10 amendments of the Constitution. Many employees of government agencies swear to defend the Constitution, but my rights come from the Constitution, not the police department. As an example, I never went on a First Amendment protection mission in the military, but I did swear an oath to defend the constitution in the conduct of my job, which is how police should be conducting themselves in their job. So, I don’t get the right from the police, but my right is a limitation on their power. Does that make sense?

Unless you are willing to protect your right with force personally, you have the luxury of protection of those rights by law enforcement which provide law and order and defense against mayhem, looting, stealing, murder and desecration. Now, you do make sense but my interpretation is befitting in an America whose 2nd-amendment rights are increasingly under attack. I fail to see in all interpretation how defending the constitution ultimately does not protect (and thus ultimately "provide" at least in part) an individuals rights thereunder, especially when the Constitution is not absolute but depends on the survival of the United States itself.