Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

John Bolton Book Reveals Fractured White House Foreign Policy

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Former Natl Security Adviser Bolton’s new book will provide minute details of multiple ‘transgressions’ in execution of the administration’s foreign policy.

Known for his hawkish views and keen eye for detail exemplified by incessant notetaking, this will be quite a PR challenge for the White House.

Among his charges in the book:

Bolton also criticizes the president for focusing solely on his chances of reelection as he made major policy decisions. “I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations,” he writes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... 2d020021e7

In another preview summary sourced here, Bolton reports being astonished by the ‘inconsistent and scattershot’ decisionmaking process by the President where reelection was a priority ‘even if it meant endangering or weakening the nation.’

https://twitter.com/ryanlizza/status/12 ... 58368?s=21

Bolton is not the most popular guy on the American left, but his forthcoming detailed descriptions will likely give independents and centrists more pause if they are somehow still on the fence.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Re: John Bolton Book Reveals Fractured White House Foreign Policy

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm

The book will highlight what most folks already know. Trump is a narcissistic showman that only cares for himself. As long as he can convince enough people that he shares their view on blaming others for issues he helped create, then he is good for reelection.
Where ever you go, there you are.

PPVRA

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I’d hate to give the man credit for anything, but... has Trump gotten the US involved in any new foreign military entanglements? I think not... there are so many I may be losing track...
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

casinterest

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm

PPVRA wrote:
I’d hate to give the man credit for anything, but... has Trump gotten the US involved in any new foreign military entanglements? I think not... there are so many I may be losing track...

Foreign policy is not the same as Foreign Military, and aside from bailing out on Allies and shirking US responsibilities to appease russia , Iran ,and china Things have been great.

Max Q

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 pm

PPVRA wrote:

No, he’s too busy trying to start a civil war in his own country
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

bhill

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm

The Left may not care for his hawkish/conservative views, but the truth is...the truth. It applies regardless of parties. I am just wondering if we will be able to purchase the damn book before November!

P.S....I just per-ordered it via Amazon
Last edited by bhill on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Pices

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Isn't Bolton the mega hawk who wants to start WW-III with Iran?

anrec80

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Bolton is the mega-hawk who would start a new Word War with absolutely everyone, and at the same time. As Trump himself put it:

We would be in World War Six by now" with Bolton

https://www.axios.com/trump-bolton-worl ... 6aece.html

apodino

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm

I am actually surprised that newsmax appears to be the only publication that picked up this story. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

That being said, no surprises here. The only question I have is how much the left will come to his side after he gave the left numerous reasons to hate him before he joined the Trump administration.

apodino

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm

I am actually surprised that newsmax appears to be the only publication that picked up this story. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

That being said, no surprises here. The only question I have is how much the left will come to his side after he gave the left numerous reasons to hate him before he joined the Trump administration.

LittleFokker

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:27 pm

apodino wrote:

Nah, we liberals can tell the difference between a bad dude who occasionally says the right things and somebody who is genuinely interested in joining our team. Mostly, we view these former Trump allies as cowards who were too afraid to speak up when they were in a position to do something about him. I won't buy this book, I have no use for John Bolton, and if I never hear his name again, I won't shed a tear.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:31 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Bolton is the mega-hawk who would start a new Word War with absolutely everyone, and at the same time. As Trump himself put it:

Correct, but being on the wrong side of issues does not automatically mean he is a poor observer, notetaker or judge of character. That would be a hasty generalization logic error.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Newark727

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:09 pm

It sure is interesting that just about every official who has left the Trump White House - and there have been a lot - has emerged with bitter complaints either about the man himself, or the dysfunction and incompetence with which his administration is run. They can't all be deep state hacks with axes to grind, can they?

Newark727

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:14 pm

PPVRA wrote:

He brought us right to the edge with Iran. Pretty sure "incoming missiles to US bases" constitutes an entanglement.

PPVRA

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:35 am

Newark727 wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

He brought us right to the edge with Iran. Pretty sure "incoming missiles to US bases" constitutes an entanglement.

True, I mean he’s not getting nominated by me for a Nobel prize... and his term isn’t over yet...

Nonetheless... no new wars
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

GDB

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:06 am

Newark727 wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

Plus that 'hit' on a member of the Iranian government, not to defend him but it was a clear attempt at provocation. Trump wanted a quick 'shock and awe' for election year. Then that pesky virus showed up. Plus the Iranians, horrible government that they are, held their nerve and were very limited in their response.
As for Bolton, he might be a nasty piece of work but he is not a total fool, also I doubt if he liked the pivot to Putin, to Xi (when it suited Trump).
But he knew of Trump's liking for Putin when he joined, maybe he thought he could fix that, or he realized his new boss was 'kompromat' at least financially.

ltbewr

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:58 am

I am sick and tired of so many former government officials who wait until not working for the government doing 'tell all' books for big bucks rather than do the right thing and express their views while in the job or for free for the good of the country.

Aesma

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am

casinterest wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

Foreign policy is not the same as Foreign Military, and aside from bailing out on Allies and shirking US responsibilities to appease russia , Iran ,and china Things have been great.

You forgot North Korea. Who just announced "F... U" to the US...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

afcjets

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:51 am

Newark727 wrote:
It sure is interesting that just about every official who has left the Trump White House - and there have been a lot - has emerged with bitter complaints either about the man himself, or the dysfunction and incompetence with which his administration is run. They can't all be deep state hacks with axes to grind, can they?

No, but one thing they have in common is unemployment, and there is a huge market for an anti-Trump book, especially from an insider and a Republican.

Aesma

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Did Bolton put Trump in power or was it the opposite ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm

afcjets wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

No, but one thing they have in common is unemployment, and there is a huge market for an anti-Trump book, especially from an insider and a Republican.

So we have confirmation of what is actually going on inside the administration instead of just "anonymous sources say...." And with the current administration being secretive and swampy, why is that a bad thing? To ask for transparency from the administration? That is what people wanted when Obama was president. Even GWB was transparent to a point.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zakuivcustom

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Not a Bolton fan, and not surprisingly there are conflict between him and Trump as Bolton is somebody who will send in the military at any crisis.

Trump foreign policy is actually consistent - i.e. make everyone except Russia the enemy of USA.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 pm

PPVRA wrote:

On May 20, 2017, U.S. President Trump and Saudi Arabia's Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud signed a series of letters of intent for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to purchase arms from the United States totaling US$110 billion immediately and $350 billion over 10 years.

later,

TRUMP brags about turning the US military into a mercenary force: "We're sending more [troops] to Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia is paying us for it ... they're paying us. They've already deposited $1 billion in the bank."

Dieuwer

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Let's turn it around: imagine that Bolton was president and Trump wrote a book. Would Bolton already have nuked Minneapolis?

meecrob

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
imagine that Trump wrote a book.

Stop it, man! You're killing me! :rotfl:

Jokes aside, does anyone have any sales figures for these "tell all" books? A number of you are correctly pointing out that Bolton might be doing this for a paycheque and I'm just wondering what profit he could expect. At this point with the information I have been able to digest, it seems just as likely to me that he is cashing out, OR Trump rubbed him so hard the wrong way, that Bolton is now reacting emotionally and just wants to stick it to Trump.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 pm

2 million, the problem is I don't know if his book relevant now, NK walked away. Most of his book was going to be about NK.

BN747

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 am

The Book to look forward to ...but coming with an August release by Michael Cohen (ghost Rosie O'Donnell) two people with the sharpest axes in the tool shed.

No stone will be unturned, no feelings spared from one left holding the bag and the other 'one upsmanship finale'...firesworks start on page 1.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

scbriml

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:42 am

In a move that will surprise precisely nobody, Trump sues to block the publication of the book.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53073526
The US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to prevent former National Security Adviser John Bolton from publishing a new book about his time at the White House.
According to the complaint, the book contains "classified information"
"I will consider every conversation with me as president highly classified," Mr Trump told reporters on Monday. "So that would mean that if he wrote a book and if the book gets out, he's broken the law and I would think he would have criminal problems."

Has this type of action ever managed to stop a book being published before?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bgm

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 am

Seems to be a constant revolving door of people coming into this administration, leaving this administration on less than good terms, and then writing a scathing book about the chaos under the orange turd.

Rinse, and repeat.

It must be bad if even John Bolton couldn't handle the filthy garbage festering there. :rotfl:
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

tommy1808

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 am

scbriml wrote:
In a move that will surprise precisely nobody, Trump sues to block the publication of the book.

which is quite hilarious considering that lots of people already have pre-print copies, and their NDA probably simply expires with the publishing date.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Dutchy

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
2 million, the problem is I don't know if his book relevant now, NK walked away. Most of his book was going to be about NK.

It will be irrelevant, no matter how revealing it is. The US politics is polarised, so people supporting Trump will ignore it, and people against Trump will see it as another sign of his being unfit for office. So in the end nothing changes.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Not just NK though...

"Trump asked China’s Xi to help him win reelection, according to Bolton book"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eakingnews

I guess Trump is now going to sue Bolton for libel.....

Best regards
Thomas

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:31 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Not just NK though...

"Trump asked China’s Xi to help him win reelection, according to Bolton book"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eakingnews

I guess Trump is now going to sue Bolton for libel.....

Best regards
Thomas

Which doesn't surprise me...Trump is all about "winning". Showing he can "win" a trade war (which, keep in mind, he started) just for the election doesn't surprised me at all. The truth is, when it comes to a real trade war with China, either you go all in (and hurt US in the short term, but help US in longer term) or you lose. No pain, no gain.

Now, I will await what those literal trumptards in HK will say about this. In US I doubt it will swing things much.

BN747

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Bolton joins the very list of ex-Staffers to call him 'Ignorant'.

Bolton Says Trump Impeachment Inquiry Missed Other Troubling Actions
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/us/p ... ached.html

It is a withering portrait of a president ignorant of even basic facts about the world, susceptible to transparent flattery by authoritarian leaders manipulating him and prone to false statements, foul-mouthed eruptions and snap decisions that aides try to manage or reverse.

Bolton 'Deep in His Heart' Believes Trump Is a 'Moron,' Former Aide Claims
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/bolt ... -1.7184851

In new book, John Bolton describes several episodes where President Trump expresses willingness to ‘give personal favors to dictators he liked'
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html

Who on earth voluntarily listen to a an ignorant man?

Apparently, quite a large number of people and those who just want pay checks and 'presidential association' at any cost.

The fact the asked Xi for 2020 Election assistance is horrific but now it compounds the charge that he'll take help from any on earth to retain power.
But they fact that he is completely 'ignorant' of the ways of this world underscores the fact that he is incapable of leading anything, let alone a nation.

It's no wonder Merkel and other US allies want nothing to do with this clown. He is America's ugly face of incompetence and a downright embarrassment.

Word is now leaking about how he was cruel to the man who made him (biologically and financially) his ailing father Fred Trump succumbing to Alzheimers as he aged..this by way of his niece, daughter of Fred Trump Jr.

How can Americas be proud of a cowardly extraordinarily ignorant leader?

They can not in a normal sane state of mind.

He and Mnuchin's battle to continually mask 'exactly' who received $600 Billion in PPE funds looks more and more like what it will prove to be - straight up theft of tax payer money.

The man is a ignorant fool and a thief...and his enablers are responsible for all of this.

Any doubts? See Netflix 'Dirty Money' episode 6. He is disclosed as the Con Man of the last 100 years, there is no substance to his existence of there than a lifetime of bullshitting people and getting away with it all his life...until now.

A Horrible human being is ahead of the US Gov't.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

cpd

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 pm

scbriml wrote:

The US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to prevent former National Security Adviser John Bolton from publishing a new book about his time at the White House.
"I will consider every conversation with me as president highly classified," Mr Trump told reporters on Monday. "So that would mean that if he wrote a book and if the book gets out, he's broken the law and I would think he would have criminal problems."

Highly classified conversations unless the President or his people want to leak details of them, and then the confidentiality is out the window.

BN747

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 pm

cpd wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Highly classified conversations unless the President or his people want to leak details of them, and then the confidentiality is out the window.

Confidentially left the building when VP Dick Cheney outed CIA agent Valerie Plame because her husband disclosed BS on the Iraq War.

BN747

Francoflier

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 am

bgm wrote:
It must be bad if even John Bolton couldn't handle the filthy garbage festering there.

Honestly.

Back when the World made a bit of sense, Bolton made Darth Vader look like a champion of peace and diplomacy... Today, he's the guy calling out the President for being a menace to the US and the World.
If that doesn't tell us how messed up this administration is, nothing will. But then again, we've been saying that since 2016, yet the circus continues.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

WarRI1

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 am

BN747 wrote:
cpd wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Confidentially left the building when VP Dick Cheney outed CIA agent Valerie Plame because her husband disclosed BS on the Iraq War.

BN747

Absolutely the end of any pretense of honor among thieves. A mean and vindictive Dick Cheney and now a mean and vindictive man in the W.H. I was never a fan of Bolton, but I will take him over the Buffoon any day. At least Bolton pretended to be a hard nose Patriot, not an opportunist of the worst kind. As Bolton says, every single action had only one object, reelection, reelection, reelection.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:50 am

Bolton's book highlights that Trump has created a Swamp built on lies and abuse of power. Nothing new really. The Senate GOP will still bend over and take it.

BN747

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 am

casinterest wrote:
Bolton's book highlights that Trump has created a Swamp built on lies and abuse of power. Nothing new really. The Senate GOP will still bend over and take it.

I am 100% certain it's worse than anyone can imagine.

At least 10 ex-staffers have confirmed (and called him a moron)...that should seal any doubts this point forward.

But the truth is..his I don't need money, I'm rich and I've lost billions while being president..' all grade AAA horseshit.

He's was in it for grift factor every step of the way. Ivanka's China deal for her clothing line - ching ching.
Xi certainly thought 'OMG, how petty..a US president asking us for favors for his kid???'..and centering US trade relations on what he can get???
From that point on...Xi had him (us) any way he wanted.

Bolton's book says 'Putin believes he can play trump like a fiddle' any doubters

Iranian Gen. Sulimani killed by US troops (hitmen on a job) by way of trump FOR Saudi Prince bin Salmaan and his checkbook.

If the Trump Org is still Hq'd in NYC, the AG should line them up like bowling pins for forensic financial scrutiny and freeze everything from January 2017 till to now.

America's Foreign Policy to a backseat to extreme avarice of selfish greedy cretin...the president of these United States.

Netflix 'Dirty Money eps. 6'...see the Con Man for his true colors, his fans can never watch this...it'll show just how suckered they were.

BN747

stl07

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:51 am

Bolton is a traitor to the US. If he knew all of this information, he should have brought it up during Trump's trial.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

BN747

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 am

stl07 wrote:
Bolton is a traitor to the US. If he knew all of this information, he should have brought it up during Trump's trial.

And rightfully so, the Media is flaming him relentlessly on that very point.

Some say he held out for the cash, I think that was a small part of it..but him knowing how Putin has offed many for much less..he feared Putin pal might offer to get rid of trump enemies - including him. Bolton is already paranoid, I'm sure he had that at the front of his mind.

BN747

jetwet1

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:55 am

bgm wrote:
Seems to be a constant revolving door of people coming into this administration, leaving this administration on less than good terms, and then writing a scathing book about the chaos under the orange turd.

Rinse, and repeat.

It must be bad if even John Bolton couldn't handle the filthy garbage festering there. :rotfl:

But they are the best people, though, I guess they are well down the list of best people by now.

Though Ben Carson has managed to hang in there which is amazing to many.

bgm

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:59 am

jetwet1 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Rinse, and repeat.

But they are the best people, though, I guess they are well down the list of best people by now.

I think he spends most of his time asleep dreaming of oreos...

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

I didn't care too much for him when he announced a book. It's almost a tradition that even if you're the coffee boy to the actual coffee boy in the White House, you write a 300+ page book talking about your experience in the White House. However, the details being leaked out are making me reconsider my stance about buying his book. May buy a Kindle format so that it's cheaper, doesn't take up space, and if I forget about it, it's lost in cyberspace. My hesitance comes from giving the man royalties for the book...if I didn't buy Anonymous's book, why should I buy this one?

PPVRA wrote:
Nonetheless... no new wars

This is a bit too much like consistently warning about a person who is dangerous with guns, shoots wildly, but because no bullet hits or kills anyone, it's OK.

Yeah, I'm glad no new wars have started (though there's been a lot of saber rattling), but I prefer to have level headed leadership that doesn't poke the beehive and is willing to reduce tensions either by ignoring them or using proxy diplomacy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

tommy1808

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I didn't care too much for him when he announced a book. It's almost a tradition that even if you're the coffee boy to the actual coffee boy in the White House, you write a 300+ page book talking about your experience in the White House. However, the details being leaked out are making me reconsider my stance about buying his book. May buy a Kindle format so that it's cheaper, doesn't take up space, and if I forget about it, it's lost in cyberspace. My hesitance comes from giving the man royalties for the book...if I didn't buy Anonymous's book, why should I buy this one?

Check your logical library.. maybe the have it. No money for Bolton.

Best regards
Thomas

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:41 am

jetwet1 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Rinse, and repeat.

Betsy DeVos to the chagrin of many fine educators, unfortunately, also managed to hang on.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:54 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Rinse, and repeat.

Betsy DeVos to the chagrin of many fine educators, unfortunately, also managed to hang on.

That's bc both Carson is totally inept at least as a Sec of Housing. DeVos is also just one of those incompetent brown-noser that Trump loves.

Pompeo is also still around - but if anything he would be someone that can have enough backing to throw Trump under the bus and still survive politically (Maybe I am overrating Pompeo, though, since he is the only Trump cabinet member that I like).

P.S. Bolton and Trump never get along anyway.

bgm

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

That's bc both Carson is totally inept at least as a Sec of Housing. DeVos is also just one of those incompetent brown-noser that Trump loves.

Pompeo is also still around - but if anything he would be someone that can have enough backing to throw Trump under the bus and still survive politically (Maybe I am overrating Pompeo, though, since he is the only Trump cabinet member that I like).

P.S. Bolton and Trump never get along anyway.

Trump only likes people who tickle his prostate with their nose.

slider

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:25 pm

I'm shocked--SHOCKED--that a neocon interventionist would have sour grapes that POTUS has extracted us from hostilities and de-escalated tensions around the globe.

Trump must not have gotten the message from the hawk neocons that the military-industrial complex needs to be constantly fed.