Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr

Re: The culture wars reach branding

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Almost 100 year old USA brand for chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bars 'Eskimo Bar' is also going to get a name change due to recognizing its insensitivity to indigenous Americans of arctic Alaska and Canada.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/business ... index.html

scbriml

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:33 pm

I guess I won’t be following the Washington Redskins next season.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:23 pm

scbriml wrote:

I suspect the NFL will pressure the team ownership to ditch the name. Probably a good replacement would be the Generals. Ironically Donald Trump owned a USFL team that went defunct after a few years in the 1980's, the New Jersey Generals, another of his business failures, and a minor league soccer team in NYC used the name so rights might be an issue.

I suspect many other sports teams on all levels will have to ditch names like 'Indians', 'Crusaders', 'Rebels', too due to their insensitive nature. For example UNLV has called itself the Rebels for years and it's mascot for years was based on a CSA general, although the more recent version moved from the CSA connections. A statue of the current version of the mascot was removed from campus a few days ago. Maybe they could call the themselves the 'Gamblers' or after some native animal to the area.

Some schools and colleges are also removing and changing names connecting to known racists. Monmouth College in NJ is changing he name of its Administration building from that of Woodrow Wilson to an old name referring to its onetime use as a private mansion and site, although a few years ago they kept the name. Times change, especially in the last 3 or so weeks. Several other schools in NJ are considering or in the process of renaming buildings after Woodrow Wilson and even Christopher Columbus. .

There are some brands that despite connections to past evils that will never change. The 4 big names of German carmakers and brands all have connections to the Nazi era of Germany, with VW Volkswagen having the most direct history connection to Nazis.

Oh, and here is something than may need rebranding - Donald J. Trump State Park in NY State. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J. ... State_Park

scbriml

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Almost 100 year old USA brand for chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bars 'Eskimo Bar' is also going to get a name change due to recognizing its insensitivity to indigenous Americans of arctic Alaska and Canada.

Asking for an 'Indigenous Americans of arctic Alaska and Canada bar' is a bit of a mouthful though! :duck:

ltbewr wrote:
I suspect the NFL will pressure the team ownership to ditch the name.

I would hope the team would do this voluntarily before being forced to. Of all the suggestions I've seen, my personal favourite is Natives which keeps the 'brand' with a name that isn't racist. The logo might need to be changed though - maybe a silhouette would be acceptable?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

dragon-wings

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:39 am

ltbewr wrote:

I never knew the word Eskimo was insensitive.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

scbriml

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:40 am

dragon-wings wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I never knew the word Eskimo was insensitive.

From Wikipedia:
In Canada and Greenland the term "eskimo" is predominantly seen as offensive or "non-preferred", and has been widely replaced by the term "Inuit" or terms specific to a particular group or community.

I wonder if Alaska Airlines will replace Chester?

flyguy89

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:11 am

ltbewr wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I thought that whole thing was put to bed already. Twice native Americans have been polled about the issue, and overwhelming majorities both times found the name either non-offensive or actually positive:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ne ... story.html

I'm not native American, but it isn't hard to fathom why some would question that sports team names should only be restricted to anglo-centric "colonels," "generals," "patriots," "buccaneers," "pirates," etc with nods and representations to "chiefs" and "braves" being wiped away. If they're not offended and indeed even appreciate it, what's the problem?

KFTG

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 am

The President of the United States suggested Lysol injections were a would-be cure for COVID-19.
Focus on things that matter.

scbriml

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:41 am

flyguy89 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I thought that whole thing was put to bed already. Twice native Americans have been polled about the issue, and overwhelming majorities both times found the name either non-offensive or actually positive:

Things have changed in the last month, never mind in the four years since that article was published. An opinion piece in the Washington Post called for the team owner to change the name just two days ago.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

seahawk

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am

So now all minorities will removed from Brandings?

Next in line should be Hawaiian Airlines - the branding is offensive.

scbriml

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 am

seahawk wrote:

If the portrayal of a minority is perpetuating a demeaning stereotype or can be perceived by a reasonable person as offensive, then yes, it should be removed.

seahawk

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am

Well then the Minnesota Vikings better change their name, as the logo is a bad stereotype of a person from Northern Europe.

Olddog

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am

I should complain for the Dolphins....
Sentence from Belgian PM at press conference forbidden due to new rules

Okie

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am

seahawk wrote:

You have to realize that this campaign is to remove any idea that anything related to any minority can be successful.
Once you comprehend that, then you will understand the where the cancel society is going.

Okie

scbriml

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:35 pm

seahawk wrote:
Well then the Minnesota Vikings better change their name, as the logo is a bad stereotype of a person from Northern Europe.

I think you'll struggle to find many people who find the term Viking offensive or demeaning, more likely the opposite.

flyguy89

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

scbriml wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Things have changed in the last month, never mind in the four years since that article was published. An opinion piece in the Washington Post called for the team owner to change the name just two days ago.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Changed as for as sensitivity to seeing racial injustice to those previously blind to it, sure. But I highly doubt anything has changed for the supposed "offendees."

dragon-wings

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 am

scbriml wrote:

Was there any push to change the Blackhawks logo/name? I guess they are next.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ltbewr

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:46 am

dragon-wings wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Was there any push to change the Blackhawks logo/name? I guess they are next.

I believe that the NHL's Chicago's Blackhawks has worked with representatives of that tribe, gave financial support to Indigenous American groups, but there are some disagreements and it may move away from using any logo with an image of a Native American with current social changes.

Kno

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:19 am

ACDC8 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pancake syrup should be about breakfast and home cooked meals.

Hence Aunt Jemima, a loving aunt that we all wished we had making us all pancakes on Saturday mornings. But nah, lets look for something bad that doesn't exist in a brand and turn it into some faux "racism" issue :crazy:

Nobody looked for something that doesn’t exist in a brand and turned it into a false racism issue. The brand themselves decided to drop a depiction and a title that originated directly from the mammy stereotype. Just because we largely didn’t know or care about the racist origins before it hit the media doesn’t mean they don’t exist and shouldn’t be corrected when realized.

seahawk wrote:

No, but we should if the origins come from slavery or servitude forced upon an oppressed group of people.

Braybuddy

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 am

Oh dear. I suppose I should be offended by Lucky Charms . . . :roll:

seahawk

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 am

Kno wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

No, but we should if the origins come from slavery or servitude forced upon an oppressed group of people.

Which minority has not been oppressed one time or the other in history? Now add that racial stereotypes are also considered bad by some, you seriously reduce representation of minorities in brandings.

If Alaska Airlines switches to a mountain or stylized snowflake and Hawaiian Airlines switches to a stylized flower you also remove the native people from the branding, which kind of makes them invisible.

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 am

Everybody feels offended. Feels. Not really offended. Grow a thicker skin. As a disclaimer, I am not white. I am Hispanic.

Start thinking and not feeling. The sense of entitlement coming from some protestors is sickening.

scbriml

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am

extender wrote:
Everybody feels offended. Feels. Not really offended. Grow a thicker skin. As a disclaimer, I am not white. I am Hispanic.

Start thinking and not feeling. The sense of entitlement coming from some protestors is sickening.

The lack of awareness coming from some is sickening.

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:05 am

Awareness is one thing, catering to the erroneous feelings is wrong. Maybe some people should take a walk in the real world from time to time.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 am

extender wrote:
Awareness is one thing, catering to the erroneous feelings is wrong. Maybe some people should take a walk in the real world from time to time.

Corporations don’t care about any of that - they want to maximize market capture. If that means using more neutral branding, so be it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 am

If the corporations want to change to capture a bigger part of the market, let that decision come from within, not be forced upon them by hurt feelings.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am

extender wrote:
If the corporations want to change to capture a bigger part of the market, let that decision come from within, not be forced upon them by hurt feelings.

It is coming from within - a lot of marketing professionals are urban residents and under 45.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:40 am

Eskimo pies? Alaska Airlines?
That has to change too?

Aaron747

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 am

extender wrote:
That has to change too?

Who knows? Don't work for either. Nice non sequitur though.

scbriml

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 am

extender wrote:
That has to change too?

Eskimo Pies already changing as discussed up-thread.

No need for Alaska Airlines to rename, but I suspect Chester will be reviewed. Hopefully kept because it's just an image of a generic Inuit and not in any way offensive or demeaning, unlike using an image that projects "the help" (or worse) to sell rice or syrup.

I know, it's hard to keep up. :wink2:

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:38 am

I know its hard to keep up, debating facts with feelings leave those certain few upset. But this whole re-branding is plain stupid if done because people are offended by Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben.

Nobody here has lived under slavery, so the term "vanilla" shouldn't offend anyone.

ltbewr

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am

Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:

Corporations don’t care about any of that - they want to maximize market capture. If that means using more neutral branding, so be it.

In the end its about money and profits. That is the real reason why they used branding now considered to be offensive and why they are terminating them now. A mix of public pressure, changes within companies management and marketing staff, including more diversity but most of all a fear of profits turning to losses is why we are seeing a flurry of branding changes.

Since this is a website dedicated to airlines, there have been threads about the sexist, racist, culturally insensitive and later seen as offensive marketing by airlines in the past. Until even recent years, in particular with some Asian airlines, the sexualizing of female flight attendants. Only showing White pilots, cabin crew and passengers in ads for too long. Ads for travel to Asia and Africa that played on racist and ethnic stereotypes. Even in our evaluation and speculation on this site of major crashes, like most recently of the 737MAX's, if they happen with an Asian or African airline we see underlying racial bias to explain why they happened rather than what turned out to be the real reason for those crashes not having anything to do with their race or ethnicity.

T18

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Oh dear. I suppose I should be offended by Lucky Charms . . . :roll:

Meh not so much but, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo/mascot does legit offend me to a degree.

I think we have also forgotten a sporting team who is already trying to distance from their name and logo, The Cleveland Indians.
Also anyone ever heard a clueless person complain about New Zealand's Rugby team name?
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

sierrakilo44

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:23 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Even in our evaluation and speculation on this site of major crashes, like most recently of the 737MAX's, if they happen with an Asian or African airline we see underlying racial bias to explain why they happened rather than what turned out to be the real reason for those crashes not having anything to do with their race or ethnicity.

Spot on there. That’s a factor that is almost never discussed. All races and ethnicities have culture, attitudes, biases, behaviours etc but it’s only when non European ones (specifically non Anglo ones) crash do we consider the culture of the pilots involved to be a factor. I even remember a presentation on the Tenerife disaster claiming the “typical arrogant attitude of the Dutch” was a major factor in the crash. Has the stereotypical “rugged individualism” attitude of Americans ever been cited as a factor in a fatal accident?

Yet the first things you hear after the MAX crashes? “Typical Asian loss of face culture FO not speaking up to authority” “typical African culture incompetent lazy pilots probably had fake licences”. Yeah it’s racism, and we need to stamp it out.

extender

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:28 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Has the stereotypical “rugged individualism” attitude of Americans ever been cited as a factor in a fatal accident?

Not sure, but it sure helped win two world wars and put a man on the moon. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Now people are offended by cowboys? Dear Lord, this definitely has become the Twilight Zone.

casinterest

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm

extender wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Has the stereotypical “rugged individualism” attitude of Americans ever been cited as a factor in a fatal accident?

Not sure, but it sure helped win two world wars and put a man on the moon. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Now people are offended by cowboys? Dear Lord, this definitely has become the Twilight Zone.

So you use three Federal Government mobilization examples to define rugged individualism?
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:05 pm

extender wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Massive federal funding, mobilization, top-notch personnel management and science accomplished those. What in the world are you talking about?

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
I thought that whole thing was put to bed already. Twice native Americans have been polled about the issue, and overwhelming majorities both times found the name either non-offensive or actually positive: [...] If they're not offended and indeed even appreciate it, what's the problem?

Because some people need to check their box for social justice and be offended on your behalf.

It's like a thread I opened last year where a non-Latino/non-Hispanic complained to upper management when they sent an email celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month...he said that Hispanic is insensitive and that it should be Latinx. Why is this person offended about something I'm not and who gave him the right to speak on my behalf on something he's not even vested in? What's worse is that he tried to Whitesplain why I was wrong.

scbriml wrote:
No need for Alaska Airlines to rename, but I suspect Chester will be reviewed. Hopefully kept because it's just an image of a generic Inuit and not in any way offensive or demeaning, unlike using an image that projects "the help" (or worse) to sell rice or syrup.
Oh, I'll bet someone will make the case that Chester looks like their grandfather's brother's cousin's twice removed husband's son and must therefore be removed.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ltbewr

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Even in our evaluation and speculation on this site of major crashes, like most recently of the 737MAX's, if they happen with an Asian or African airline we see underlying racial bias to explain why they happened rather than what turned out to be the real reason for those crashes not having anything to do with their race or ethnicity.

Spot on there. That’s a factor that is almost never discussed. All races and ethnicities have culture, attitudes, biases, behaviours etc but it’s only when non European ones (specifically non Anglo ones) crash do we consider the culture of the pilots involved to be a factor. I even remember a presentation on the Tenerife disaster claiming the “typical arrogant attitude of the Dutch” was a major factor in the crash. Has the stereotypical “rugged individualism” attitude of Americans ever been cited as a factor in a fatal accident?

Yet the first things you hear after the MAX crashes? “Typical Asian loss of face culture FO not speaking up to authority” “typical African culture incompetent lazy pilots probably had fake licences”. Yeah it’s racism, and we need to stamp it out.

Cockpit Resource Management training in part was to try to offset cultural biases, to allow a lower ranking pilot to challenge when a senior pilot may be doing something wrong that could put the plane and all aboard in danger of death or injury. In some cases the 'culture' is not so much from ethnicity but more from that of military service, often a source of pilots.That is a problem that was found in USA based pilots but also those in other countries like South Korea and led to CRM. The point is that it is wrong to use race, ethnicity and 'culture' as a immediate default cause for a plane crash. Corporate and political culture can also be a factor in crashes. Pilots may make poor decisions due to pressure from their airlines for their financial demands to land or be penalized, have poor safety culture, poor training cultures.

Getting back to branding and marketing with racist overtones, some USA and EU companies are having to consider changes or ending branding and marketing of some products like a popular toothpaste in some Asian countries, creams to lighten dark spots on skin but come off as favoring 'lighter' ie: White complexion.

L410Turbolet

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Getting back to branding and marketing with racist overtones, some USA and EU companies are having to consider changes or ending branding and marketing of some products like a popular toothpaste in some Asian countries, creams to lighten dark spots on skin but come off as favoring 'lighter' ie: White complexion.

Why? It's Asians and their culture which creates demand for these products. Are you going to ban umbrellas, because that's what Japanese use to protect themselves from getting a suntan?

flyguy89

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
I thought that whole thing was put to bed already. Twice native Americans have been polled about the issue, and overwhelming majorities both times found the name either non-offensive or actually positive: [...] If they're not offended and indeed even appreciate it, what's the problem?

Because some people need to check their box for social justice and be offended on your behalf.

It's like a thread I opened last year where a non-Latino/non-Hispanic complained to upper management when they sent an email celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month...he said that Hispanic is insensitive and that it should be Latinx. Why is this person offended about something I'm not and who gave him the right to speak on my behalf on something he's not even vested in? What's worse is that he tried to Whitesplain why I was wrong.

Ugh, latinx has to be the most egregious example of the woke crowd trying to be so woke that it's actually the opposite of woke. I mean, trying to impose a completely foreign and grammatically torturous word onto non-white cultures? Come on...

FL52RA41

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Yes i sympathize with what happened in America and can understand why the protests started. But why bring the protests to the UK when it was not in our country and risk more peoples lives with covid-19. There must come a time when the certain groups of our society stop playing the victim, we could go on for ever terrible things have happened to all creeds over the ages. The romans invaded England and were here for 400 years and committed atrocities no doubt.

Look at Mugabe and his thugs against his own people, we could all carry a chip on our shoulder for one reason or another but should get on with our lives. But to flare up each time someone says something then you will always have a problem. Comedians use to take the mick out of most races and most just took it on the chin. That's my rant over!!

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

That's what you get when you cave to the loudmouths and pander to the extremists. You Reap What You Sow.

meecrob

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 pm

FL52RA41 wrote:
Yes i sympathize with what happened in America and can understand why the protests started. But why bring the protests to the UK when it was not in our country and risk more peoples lives with covid-19. There must come a time when the certain groups of our society stop playing the victim, we could go on for ever terrible things have happened to all creeds over the ages. The romans invaded England and were here for 400 years and committed atrocities no doubt.

Look at Mugabe and his thugs against his own people, we could all carry a chip on our shoulder for one reason or another but should get on with our lives. But to flare up each time someone says something then you will always have a problem. Comedians use to take the mick out of most races and most just took it on the chin. That's my rant over!!

Didn't you get the memo? Its cool stand up and say "I didn't give two shits about this until the cameras were on me, but now that they are, I've always been outraged that foreign police act improperly so I'm going to protest it domestically" How else can you show your face in public if you are white these days? Its turned into a virtue signalling contest that I cannot help but feel is undermining the real problems here. This thread is a great example. None of these companies give two shits about racism, they care about making money. If I was not White, I'd be calling them all out, but I can't because I'm White.

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 pm

meecrob wrote:
... but I can't because I'm White.

That is a racist argument: "I can't because [insert skin color]".
Last edited by Dieuwer on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meecrob

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Sounds like it yes, but we go on facts, not feelings. The fact is that I have nothing to contribute to how People of Colour feel about the issue of corporations cashing in on their plight, since I am not a Person of Colour. Therefore I will (here's an idea) shut the hell up and let them speak, unlike all these "suddenly outraged" White people who are piping up about stuff they cannot know since they did not experience it.

I find it telling that you read my whole comment, but only commented to point out you think I sound like a racist. This movement is supposed to be about humanity gaining a greater understanding and appreciation of our similarities, yet you seem to enjoy pointing fingers.

Braybuddy

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 pm

T18 wrote:
Meh not so much but, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo/mascot does legit offend me to a degree.

I've heard of them, never seen the logo, but a quick Google search fixed that. It's actually quite amusing. I wouldn't be offended by it at all. We have been known to breed some bawdy types over the years, after all. :yes:

extender

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:23 am

NASCAR is going to need a re-branding. After the Bubba "Jussie Smollets v2.0" Wallace hoax. People are losing interest with all the political correctness.

skyservice_330

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Massive federal funding, mobilization, top-notch personnel management and science accomplished those. What in the world are you talking about?

Not to mention about 1M dead Russians in the East and some imported Nazi's to support the science