Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

The OJ Simpson Police Chase in a Ford Bronco

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Today marks the 26 year anniversary of the OJ Simpson police chase in a Ford Bronco on the highways of Los Angeles. It was seen by 90 million viewers and one of the biggest events in American history between the end of the Cold War and 9/11. Do you have any memories of the chase?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1310703&p=18441293&hilit=Oj+Simpson+chase#p18441293

alfa164

Re: The OJ Simpson Police Chase in a Ford Bronco

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:15 am

... and the new Ford Bronco debuts on July 9th; coincidentally(?) that is O.J.'s birthday.

Either coincidentally... or cynical marketing...

:roll:

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 am

I was working at a big box store when the chase occurred. About 30 of us kept checking in on it in the Electronics section.

alfa164

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 am

casinterest wrote:
I was working at a big box store when the chase occurred. About 30 of us kept checking in on it in the Electronics section.

I was at a reception/party honoring the World Cup, which had just started in the USA. One of the Host Committee Members came and pulled the plug on the TV, because everybody was watching the "chase" and ignoring their festivities...

fr8mech

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 am

I can say, with absolute honesty, that I don't remember where I was or what I was doing.

On a related note, we visited the Alcatraz East Crime Crime Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN this past week. They have the Bronco on loan in their collection. Very nice.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 am

I disagree with the notion that the Baseball Glove Defense is a red herring.

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 am

fr8mech wrote:
I can say, with absolute honesty, that I don't remember where I was or what I was doing.

On a related note, we visited the Alcatraz East Crime Crime Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN this past week. They have the Bronco on loan in their collection. Very nice.

Hmm how long is it there? I may have to drive out there.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 am

casinterest wrote:
Hmm how long is it there? I may have to drive out there.

No idea; I understand it's been there since 2017.

We really enjoyed the museum. The kids say it was the highlight of the trip. I've never seen my son (14) read that many exhibit placards/signs/notes.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 am

It was 25 years ago the 'Trial of the Century' would be under way, ending on Oct. 2nd, I was in Ireland, 6 PM at night when the jury's verdict was handed down. The night of the murder, I was on a flight from AUK to LAX, to connect to EWR, I didn't find out about the accusations against OJ Simpson until I got to EWR later that day. I do recall the chase a few days later and like many watched it. It shut down sports events, every channel on cable and broadcast went to showing it. Due to the serious racial tensions of the LAPD and the Black community, they were reluctant to take strong action to end the chase. The news/traffic coppers were all focused on the chase, showing it live and causing 1000's to take to overpasses and along the roads the 'chase' was taking place.on further deterring the LAPD from taking actions to capture him. Today I doubt they would allow the choppers to follow the chase. They just let him pull up to his house and they arrested him there. It was likely the best outcome at that point. Sadly 2 people died likely at OJ's hands, but due to the hot racial situation at the time, the hostility, racism and gross mistakes by the LAPD, Prosecutors and perhaps for the first time, a Black man could afford to afford a legal defense of top attorneys.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:47 am

ltbewr wrote:
ending on Oct. 2nd,

That I remember. The fire department I was a member of, along with the surrounding departments, were placed on a higher alert level due to the possibility of civil unrest should Simpson have been convicted.

At the time the verdict came down I was in a theology class. I carried an alpha-numeric pager issued by the FD, and the verdict came across it with the order to expect to stand-down at midnight.

stl07

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 am

fr8mech wrote:
Pigeon Forge, TN

How is the crowding up there in the smoky mountains? Is it like the videos nationwide of memorial day? I'm thinking about visiting sometime next week or the week after and renting a cabin, but one of my family members is extremely paranoid (rightly so) about COVID due to being in an at-risk group.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:33 am

stl07 wrote:
How is the crowding up there in the smoky mountains? Is it like the videos nationwide of memorial day? I'm thinking about visiting sometime next week or the week after and renting a cabin, but one of my family members is extremely paranoid (rightly so) about COVID due to being in an at-risk group.

The restaurants were all observing the social distancing protocols; tables spread out, every other booth blocked off, staff wearing masks, etc.

There were plenty of crowds out there, but it seemed there was a lot of self-regulating when it came to social distancing.

We did The Laurel Falls Trail in the Smoky Mountains. It was crowded to the falls, but we continued until we hit the Little Greenbrier Trail. There was no crowd past the falls.

We did The Titanic Museum. We were required to wear masks through the whole tour. Alcatraz East did not require masks.

dmg626

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:52 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Today marks the 26 year anniversary of the OJ Simpson police chase in a Ford Bronco on the highways of Los Angeles. It was seen by 90 million viewers and one of the biggest events in American history between the end of the Cold War and 9/11. Do you have any memories of the chase?

I was in Germany watching all night on CNN intl, for some reason I always remember where I was for that event

stl07

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:34 am

fr8mech wrote:
stl07 wrote:

The restaurants were all observing the social distancing protocols; tables spread out, every other booth blocked off, staff wearing masks, etc.

There were plenty of crowds out there, but it seemed there was a lot of self-regulating when it came to social distancing.

We did The Laurel Falls Trail in the Smoky Mountains. It was crowded to the falls, but we continued until we hit the Little Greenbrier Trail. There was no crowd past the falls.

We did The Titanic Museum. We were required to wear masks through the whole tour. Alcatraz East did not require masks.

Ok thanks a lot, I'll pass this info on to her and see if she's ok with it.

LCDFlight

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:58 am

My parents were on vacation and I was at home watching the chase with my babysitter. The following spring, we would watch the trial from our hotel rooms in Spain.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 am

The real question that should be asked is OJ Khloe Kardashians dad? She looks like him, she's tall, the other Kardashians are short, she's obviously mixed African american.

StarAC17

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm

I don't really remember the chase per say, I was 10 at the time and didn't care for the news. Anecdotally I remember that my mom turned 40 that day and she was in Florida at my Uncle's house and everyone was watching the TV of the chase and my dad was pissed off that everyone was inside watching this.

My mother was obsessed with the trial so I paid a bit of attention to it but until the FX series American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson came out in 2016 (A must watch) I realized that I didn't know that much at all about the trial.

fr8mech wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
ending on Oct. 2nd,

That I remember. The fire department I was a member of, along with the surrounding departments, were placed on a higher alert level due to the possibility of civil unrest should Simpson have been convicted.

At the time the verdict came down I was in a theology class. I carried an alpha-numeric pager issued by the FD, and the verdict came across it with the order to expect to stand-down at midnight.

It was actually October 3rd, 1995 when the verdict came down and I was in grade 6. I remember my parents fighting that day as my dad thought he should have gotten off and my mom thought he was guilty. My dad called my mom saying Free at last, Free at last and she wasn't pleased about that.

My opinion now is that he did it with perhaps help from his son Jason. It seems odd that he would be able to kill Ron Goldman so easily and not have any more defensive wounds than he had.

However the defense did their job and put enough reasonable doubt had I been on that jury I would have voted to acquit.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:00 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
I don't really remember the chase per say, I was 10 at the time and didn't care for the news. Anecdotally I remember that my mom turned 40 that day and she was in Florida at my Uncle's house and everyone was watching the TV of the chase and my dad was pissed off that everyone was inside watching this.

My mother was obsessed with the trial so I paid a bit of attention to it but until the FX series American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson came out in 2016 (A must watch) I realized that I didn't know that much at all about the trial.

fr8mech wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
ending on Oct. 2nd,

It was actually October 3rd, 1995
My opinion now is that he did it with perhaps help from his son Jason. It seems odd that he would be able to kill Ron Goldman so easily and not have any more defensive wounds than he had.
However the defense did their job and put enough reasonable doubt had I been on that jury I would have voted to acquit.

Yes, It was 10/3, I just checked my travel notes from that trip. Pope John Paul II was also in the USA that same week. I had picked up my rental car that morning at Dublin airport, the agent told me the decision of the jury was to come down. Earlier in the day I had visited the Famine Museum at Stokeston Estate. It was about 6 PM when I heard it on the radio. At dinner, the tv had about the jury decision.

alfa164

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:28 pm

We have a Weekend Update! Ford has decided not to debut the new Bronco on July 9th - O.J.'s birthday - but will instead move the unveiling (as if everyone hasn't seen it already) until July 13th.

Apparently some of Ford's own autoworkers brought the date to the attention of management, as did the family Nicole Brown Simpson.

Face saved!.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... li=BBnbfcN

DL717

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:26 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Jesus. 26 years. :eek:

DL717

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

fr8mech wrote:

We had a canceled flight and were at a hotel room in SLC. My wife popped the TV on and we were like WTF?

nwadeicer

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:23 pm

I was living in LA for s short while during this. I remember the trendy bumpersticker that people had on their broncos, especially the white ones. "Official Pace Car of the LAPD"

NIKV69

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 pm

I was watching the NBA playoffs and they cut in and I watched. I thought the audio of the call the police placed to him while he was in the back of the Bronco was incredible in OJ made in America