Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Will P&G rename Fairy Liquid?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:19 am

With Quaker/PepsiCo renaming Aunt Jemima, Mars renaming Uncle Ben's, and Conagra renaming Mrs. Butterworths due to racist connotations, do you think P&G might rename Fairy Liquid to something else due to the LGBT slang term "fairy"? Perhaps they might rename it to the U.S. brand Dawn. However, the last time P&G tried this in Germany it flopped badly with consumers. What do you think?

maverick4002

Re: Will P&G rename Fairy Liquid?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 am

I dont know this brand but was it specifically made to make fun of LGBT people? The whole point of the other changes, was that the names were definitely based on discrimination. I dont see how simply using the word Fairy means this has to be changed. And I say this as a member of the LGBT community.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:36 am

maverick4002 wrote:
I dont know this brand but was it specifically made to make fun of LGBT people? The whole point of the other changes, was that the names were definitely based on discrimination. I dont see how simply using the word Fairy means this has to be changed. And I say this as a member of the LGBT community.

Fairy is a brand of dish soap sold in most of Europe, equivalent to Dawn in the United States. I don't think it was made with any LGBT connotations in mind.

casinterest

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 am

I am worried Transmission lines are going to get a bad name.

rlwynn

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:33 am

At least here in Germany there is no connection between Fairy(Fee) and LGBT. And it is a major brand, they are not going to change the name.

scbriml

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Fairy is a brand of dish soap sold in most of Europe, equivalent to Dawn in the United States. I don't think it was made with any LGBT connotations in mind.

Teaching my gran to suck eggs, but while "fairy" in itself is an inoffensive word describing a mythical creature (though rarely pink), it is also a mildly derogatory term most often (but not exclusively) aimed at an effeminate man.

Braybuddy

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:46 pm

Hopefully not. Gays have had great fun with the brand over the years, and often go out of the way to buy it, so maybe the name is actually an asset. I'm sure you'll find SOMEONE who finds it offensive -- like the aforementioned brands in the US -- but there will always people looking for offence, so I wouldn't be surpised at all if this does crop up sometime. :roll:

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 am

“Oh no, I squeezed it too hard and now there’s fairy liquid everywhere!”

That’s it, I will never stop giggling at it.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 am

I hope not!
...signed Big Ol Queen

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:00 pm

I have always got a laugh out our our Anglo American name for the principle Christian festival Easter.

Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn. quote, https://www.etymonline.com/word/easter