Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Why is Atlanta, GA not even on the lists of cities with most carbon emissions?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm

I honestly do not care abut climate change, but I'm just curious. Why isn't Atlanta high ranking in terms of carbon emissions? It has the busiest airport in terms of people moving through, aircraft movements, and also somewhat high in international traffic, cargo movements, and others. We see fuel thirsty MDs, 757s, 767s, A340s, A380s, and 747s come in all the time! I don't know..........

BlueberryWheats

Re: Why is Atlanta, GA not even on the lists of cities with most carbon emissions?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I suppose it's not all down to aviation though. Also consider road traffic volume, industry etc.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

tommy1808

Re: Why is Atlanta, GA not even on the lists of cities with most carbon emissions?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:29 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I honestly do not care abut climate change, but I'm just curious. Why isn't Atlanta high ranking in terms of carbon emissions? It has the busiest airport in terms of people moving through, aircraft movements, and also somewhat high in international traffic, cargo movements, and others. We see fuel thirsty MDs, 757s, 767s, A340s, A380s, and 747s come in all the time! I don't know..........

Aircraft emissions are usually not attributed to where the airport happens to be. Powerplant emissions aren't either, they are distributed to where the electricity is used, unless cross border, where both, production assigned and consumption assigned are used.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seb146

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I would think it has to do with how far people have to drive to get to work or school and also what kind of industry is around. Terrain also has some to do with it. Los Angeles is the best example of this but also Salt Lake City, Portland, and Seattle.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Going into WASG territory, maybe because Atlanta has more trees and wilderness areas close by to sop up the CO2 than do other cities of a similar size?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:41 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I suppose it's not all down to aviation though. Also consider road traffic volume, industry etc.

Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the US. Also headquarters for cnn, cocacola, and other companies

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the US. Also headquarters for cnn, cocacola, and other companies

But clearly must still not have enough to make the list. :scratchchin:

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

I guess so...... However, it still scars me for life, because we literally have to sit in mostly 20+ mins of traffic on the way to the airport!!!!!! >:( >:(

johns624

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

I guess so...... However, it still scars me for life, because we literally have to sit in mostly 20+ mins of traffic on the way to the airport!!!!!! >:( >:(

If it scars you for life, don't go to the airport.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:27 pm

johns624 wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

If it scars you for life, don't go to the airport.

Then wut is the point of being an AvGeek!

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Best not ever drive to LHR, LGW or even MAN at busy times! 20min is chump numbers, gotta pump those numbers up.

ethernal

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 am

Without a list/source it is impossible to answer this question.

My guess is that it is because whatever list you are looking at is looking at city proper rather than metro area. Or, alternatively, it is a global list and it is competing with mega-cities with 10M+ that dwarf Atlanta's metro population of only 6M.

If it is city proper, it is because Atlanta is very tiny. Atlanta is very frequently excluded on statistical lists that look only at the "25 largest US cities" because city proper is very small and only about 500K people - less than cities like Tucson, Lousville, El Paso, or San Jose. It ranks 37th in the US even though it is the 9th largest metro

The airport won't really move the needle either way, but even the Atlanta Airport is (mostly) outside of Atlanta city proper. And, within the metro area, it is inconsequential compared to the carbon consumption (direct and indirect) of 6 million folks in the metro region.

stl07

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:55 am

Because they have less emissions than other cities
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

KFTG

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:57 am

ATL should be the highest in the world *cuz* Delta is there, and CoCa-Cola!
Maybe we should be more worried about the public education system there rather than their carbon emissions.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:57 pm

KFTG wrote:
ATL should be the highest in the world *cuz* Delta is there, and CoCa-Cola!
Maybe we should be more worried about the public education system there rather than their carbon emissions.

Yeah that is true. And ur post was made at 7:57 am. Oh, the irony, ATL has a lot of 757s coming in.

Dutchy

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I honestly do not care abut climate change, but I'm just curious.

ah. well, you took the first step, being curious. So congrats on that...

Boeing757100 wrote:
IWhy isn't Atlanta high ranking in terms of carbon emissions? It has the busiest airport in terms of people moving through, aircraft movements, and also somewhat high in international traffic, cargo movements, and others. We see fuel thirsty MDs, 757s, 767s, A340s, A380s, and 747s come in all the time! I don't know..........

not much industry to pollute the skies? Aviation has been given a status apparte, so it is not countered anywhere.

But indeed, do you have a source of this?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

KFTG

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 am

Having living in ATL for ~7 years in the past, it is my observation that anyone who lives there thinks its the center of the freaking universe.