Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LittleFokker
Topic Author

New help modifying my bed

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

I moved into a new apartment a couple of months ago, and I am trying to figure out the best way to resolve a minor problem. My bedroom isn't very large, and I have the furniture laid out in what I think is the most optimal and satisfactory way to me. I do have a nightstand on one side of the bed, but on the other side is only a 2 ft space between the bed and my dresser drawers. I would like to provide a firm flat surface so that any guest I have in my bed would also have a space to place a glass of water, glasses, cell phone, etc. I can't do another nightstand or table because it would block my dresser's drawers from opening. My bed has a headboard - it's wood covered in padded cloth, and the edge pieces extend forward about 3 inches from the rest of the headboard.

In my mind, I was thinking of some kind of clamping mechanism and then figure out a way to attach like a 20" squared piece of wood to that. I went to Lowe's today and solicited help, but the associate only suggested building a shelf directly into the wall. Because it's an apartment, I am leery about putting holes into the walls. Also, because of the side extension from my headboard, it might be a little awkward to get to a wall shelf. I thought of drilling into the side of the headboard, attach a swivel mechanism, and then attaching a flatboard to that, but couldn't find any devices of that nature. I am welcome to any suggestions on how to best solve this problem. I only have basic tools like screwdrivers, hammers, and I do have a power drill, but no saws for cutting.

fr8mech

Re: New help modifying my bed

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:47 am

Without seeing a picture it’s tough, but what about something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/ElfAnt-Multi-f ... 174&sr=8-4

alfa164

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I moved into a new apartment a couple of months ago, and I am trying to figure out the best way to resolve a minor problem. My bedroom isn't very large, and I have the furniture laid out in what I think is the most optimal and satisfactory way to me. I do have a nightstand on one side of the bed, but on the other side is only a 2 ft space between the bed and my dresser drawers. I would like to provide a firm flat surface so that any guest I have in my bed would also have a space to place a glass of water, glasses, cell phone, etc. I can't do another nightstand or table because it would block my dresser's drawers from opening. My bed has a headboard - it's wood covered in padded cloth, and the edge pieces extend forward about 3 inches from the rest of the headboard.

In my mind, I was thinking of some kind of clamping mechanism and then figure out a way to attach like a 20" squared piece of wood to that. I went to Lowe's today and solicited help, but the associate only suggested building a shelf directly into the wall. Because it's an apartment, I am leery about putting holes into the walls. Also, because of the side extension from my headboard, it might be a little awkward to get to a wall shelf. I thought of drilling into the side of the headboard, attach a swivel mechanism, and then attaching a flatboard to that, but couldn't find any devices of that nature. I am welcome to any suggestions on how to best solve this problem. I only have basic tools like screwdrivers, hammers, and I do have a power drill, but no saws for cutting.

The first think that comes to mind, if I understand the layout you described:

Get a 1x4 (although a 1x2 would probably be strong enough) to run between the back of your headboard and the dresser;

Cut a piece of wood (you mentioned 20x20); attach that with hinges to the top of the 1x4 (or 1x2); picture this as something that can "flop down" from the strip of wood; you will need some sort of folding brace to keep the "table top" level;

Attach the wood strip, with the "fold down tab;e", to the back of the headboard and the side of the dresser. This will require you to have some help you carefully push the furniture back in place, so as not to break the new contraption.

If all this is too much trouble, a simple folding table ("TV table" from my youth) might be a good alternative.

KFTG

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 am

Raise it high enough such that one can live under it.

Dieuwer

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:25 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
... any GUEST I have in MY BED...

Is “Guest” the new codeword for “hookup”? :D

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:46 am

fr8mech wrote:
Without seeing a picture it’s tough, but what about something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/ElfAnt-Multi-f ... 174&sr=8-4

Would prefer something that I could clamp horizontally, not hanging vertically, but that's kinda the idea.

alfa164 wrote:
The first think that comes to mind, if I understand the layout you described:

Get a 1x4 (although a 1x2 would probably be strong enough) to run between the back of your headboard and the dresser;

Cut a piece of wood (you mentioned 20x20); attach that with hinges to the top of the 1x4 (or 1x2); picture this as something that can "flop down" from the strip of wood; you will need some sort of folding brace to keep the "table top" level;

Attach the wood strip, with the "fold down tab;e", to the back of the headboard and the side of the dresser. This will require you to have some help you carefully push the furniture back in place, so as not to break the new contraption.

If all this is too much trouble, a simple folding table ("TV table" from my youth) might be a good alternative.

Thank you for the suggestion, but that does sound complicated, and I don't know if it's wise to bond my dresser to the bed like that. I did check with my ex wife, as there were a couple of old tv trays in the house and she agreed to let me use one, so I think that might the way to go for now.

Dieuwer wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
... any GUEST I have in MY BED...

Is “Guest” the new codeword for “hookup”? :D

It's an open ended statement. I have been dating someone for the last 5 months, but I doubt she's going to be someone I would marry eventually. But since COVID-19 has made getting 1st dates a little challenging, I'll see how long this one lasts. So I am open to whatever happens - I just prefer to be a gentleman and offer my guests a place to put their stuff.

seahawk

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 am