Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
apodino
Posts: 4092
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 pm

As you might suspect, there have been lots of issues at the sole voting site in Louisville, mainly that people who were in line before 6 were originally shut out of voting and both Booker and McGrath have gone to court to get injunctions to keep the polls open longer. What a mess.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/23/kentucky-primary-live-updates-voting-throughout-election-day/3237124001/
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 am

apodino wrote:
As you might suspect, there have been lots of issues at the sole voting site in Louisville, mainly that people who were in line before 6 were originally shut out of voting and both Booker and McGrath have gone to court to get injunctions to keep the polls open longer. What a mess.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/23/kentucky-primary-live-updates-voting-throughout-election-day/3237124001/


Open-close, open-close, open-close.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:13 am

apodino wrote:
As you might suspect, there have been lots of issues at the sole voting site in Louisville, mainly that people who were in line before 6 were originally shut out of voting and both Booker and McGrath have gone to court to get injunctions to keep the polls open longer. What a mess.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/23/kentucky-primary-live-updates-voting-throughout-election-day/3237124001/


From that same story:

Lines throughout the day in Jefferson County have moved fairly quickly, as voters have not had to wait too long to cast their ballot. Some have said it took awhile to get into the state fairgrounds area and to park, though.
...7:15 p.m. — More than 15 people recently showed up at the Kentucky Exposition Center, Jefferson County's sole poling location, to demand that they are able to vote.

The venue had closed its doors shortly at 6 p.m. and then reopened it to a group of dozens of voters before closing again at 6:30 p.m.


Really doesn't sound like it was that chaotic.
 
LOT767301ER
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:36 am

Tugger wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
Texas, and I have no knowledge of other states, but suspect the same exists, had a absentee ballot fraud problem.

it occurs almost exclusively in nursing homes and senior care facilities.

Like many states, Texas allows 'assisted' voting by senior citizens and the disabled. Which allows someone to obtain the ballots, help the voter fill then out the ballot, and return the ballot to the authorities. Many to most Texas nursing homes and senior care facilities vote at 100% rates election after election. Most votes are assisted by a worker from the party in power in that area. Even people with long term mental disabilities vote in every election.

It is ignored because (1) no one has the cojones to attempt to set a competency requirement for voting; (2) it is a long established practice.

When my mother was moved to a nursing home in southwest Arkansas due to Alzheimer's, my father was shocked to see that she voted absentee in the next election. He went to the polling place and saw her name marked as completing an absentee ballot on the voter rolls. He had a fit when he figured it out. She didn't know him, any of her children, etc.

Yet she voted the straight Republican ticket in 1996.

(She was the ONLY absentee voter in the ballot box, so it was easy to know how she voted).

She also voted straight Republican in 2000, before he finally got her removed from the voter roles. He had to go to court to get that done. When he first had her removed, a Republican party volunteer had her re-instated.

It happens all across the country.

Probably works out about even on a national scale, but places like Florida and Texas, probably tens of thousands of votes are case straight Republican by the mentally incompetent seniors.

THIS.

This is the kind of crap and fraud I fear and why I refuse to encourage mail-in ballots and press for more in person, private voting at public polling stations. No matter how well intentioned my family was, you just can't vote for someone else even if "they would have voted this way".

Tugg


I have to commend you for a pretty level headed approach. I am also against mail-in-voting except for those obviously that have significant mobility issues for this reason. The situation is rife for fraud and even if its not documented every single day I am convinced that the secrecy/filling out for others is commonplace as Ive also seen it happen.

I'd add the left's odd war against voter ID laws, specifically mandating ID. I do not understand this, basically every civilized country in the world requires you to show an ID/notification/check of some kind. Does not matter if its Iceland, Italy and heck even India does it. Why cant we just issue free IDs to people who cannot afford them (who the heck cannot afford a $5-10 state ID but whatever)? I dont get it.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:47 am

LOT767301ER wrote:
Tugger wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
Texas, and I have no knowledge of other states, but suspect the same exists, had a absentee ballot fraud problem.

it occurs almost exclusively in nursing homes and senior care facilities.

Like many states, Texas allows 'assisted' voting by senior citizens and the disabled. Which allows someone to obtain the ballots, help the voter fill then out the ballot, and return the ballot to the authorities. Many to most Texas nursing homes and senior care facilities vote at 100% rates election after election. Most votes are assisted by a worker from the party in power in that area. Even people with long term mental disabilities vote in every election.

It is ignored because (1) no one has the cojones to attempt to set a competency requirement for voting; (2) it is a long established practice.

When my mother was moved to a nursing home in southwest Arkansas due to Alzheimer's, my father was shocked to see that she voted absentee in the next election. He went to the polling place and saw her name marked as completing an absentee ballot on the voter rolls. He had a fit when he figured it out. She didn't know him, any of her children, etc.

Yet she voted the straight Republican ticket in 1996.

(She was the ONLY absentee voter in the ballot box, so it was easy to know how she voted).

She also voted straight Republican in 2000, before he finally got her removed from the voter roles. He had to go to court to get that done. When he first had her removed, a Republican party volunteer had her re-instated.

It happens all across the country.

Probably works out about even on a national scale, but places like Florida and Texas, probably tens of thousands of votes are case straight Republican by the mentally incompetent seniors.

THIS.

This is the kind of crap and fraud I fear and why I refuse to encourage mail-in ballots and press for more in person, private voting at public polling stations. No matter how well intentioned my family was, you just can't vote for someone else even if "they would have voted this way".

Tugg


I have to commend you for a pretty level headed approach. I am also against mail-in-voting except for those obviously that have significant mobility issues for this reason. The situation is rife for fraud and even if its not documented every single day I am convinced that the secrecy/filling out for others is commonplace as Ive also seen it happen.

I'd add the left's odd war against voter ID laws, specifically mandating ID. I do not understand this, basically every civilized country in the world requires you to show an ID/notification/check of some kind. Does not matter if its Iceland, Italy and heck even India does it. Why cant we just issue free IDs to people who cannot afford them (who the heck cannot afford a $5-10 state ID but whatever)? I dont get it.


1. "The left" has zero problem with legal Americans voting or showing ID to vote. What "the left" has problems with are arbitrary rules and moving the goal posts that Republicans do every single election. Voting should be made simple for legal Americans. Everyone on "the left" agrees with that. But, making people jump through all sorts of hoops, making people pay for proof they are American citizens when they have proven time and again they are American citizens, turning people away because of some "this ID is similar to some criminal" is what "the left" is against.

2. The number of fraudulent votes done in person is far greater than the number of fraudulent votes done by mail in. That number is still very very very very very very low. There needs to be one person, one vote. No one (especially on "the left") disagrees with that. However, go back to 2016 and 2018 and count the number of fraudulent votes at in-person polling places vs. the number of fraudulent votes by mail in CA, OR, HI, UT, and WA.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:49 am

apodino wrote:
As you might suspect, there have been lots of issues at the sole voting site in Louisville, mainly that people who were in line before 6 were originally shut out of voting and both Booker and McGrath have gone to court to get injunctions to keep the polls open longer. What a mess.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/23/kentucky-primary-live-updates-voting-throughout-election-day/3237124001/


It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".
 
LOT767301ER
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:07 am

You're making vast generalizations. I have voted in approximately 3 big US states, some democrat, some centrist and some republican controlled and I have never had an issue going to vote. What are these hoops you are talking about?

Maybe you can use this Kentucky election as an example to further your argument because I am puzzled about what the issue is. This was not a biased decision to hold this election like this - A democrat governor agreed with the republican sec. of state to delay the primary during coronavirus and widely expand mail-in voting and early voting. The in-person early voting has been happening for the last 7 days. 7 DAYS! 30% of the requested ballots were done in early voting which is an increase from the typical 1.5%. This is obviously good news. In addition there was another location in Jefferson county opened up for early voting and we have heard nothing about people having to wait for more than a little bit (the most I could find was around an hour today) during this whole time-frame until a bunch of people showed up right at 6pm on the last hour of the last day to vote. The one place in the county that was opened up practically had no lines all day as it was a massive expo center done for social distancing.

This is stupid and 100% the left crying about this including the usual socialist rags. You had multiple places you could have voted at in this county for a week with no lines, you could have requested and done this from the comfort of your home by mail-in-ballot. You did neither, a few idiots decided to show up at the last minute of the last day and are now crying.

It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".


You are making stuff up. A Republican rep sued to open up more physical polling stations in the 5 most populous KY counties. A federal judge denied the suit because he said that there was no evidence this would lead to voter suppression. Good, I agree with the judge. This is insane. You have a whole week to go or get a ballot by mail and your idiot ass shows up right at 1800 when polls close at 1800 on the very last day. GTFOH.

Its weird to see you embrace a Republican rep though.

What is this thread even about? This is a non-story.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12 am

LOT767301ER wrote:
I'd add the left's odd war against voter ID laws, specifically mandating ID. I do not understand this, basically every civilized country in the world requires you to show an ID/notification/check of some kind. Does not matter if its Iceland, Italy and heck even India does it.


It isn't the 'left'. The right/ NRA is very much against that for a simple reason

Why cant we just issue free IDs to people who cannot afford them (who the heck cannot afford a $5-10 state ID but whatever)? I dont get it.


States are restricting the ability to get an ID. Been to a DPS/DMV office in large cities lately? In Dallas there is a month or longer wait for an appointment. Just showing up and standing in line is a four to seven hour wait - if you get there before 10 am. If after, you have to come back the next day.

Who fought against 'Real ID'? - The Republican states. Gov Greg Abbott sued the Obama administration three different times trying to stop the requirement for a verified positive ID while he was state Attorney General. Calling it an unfunded federal mandate. Heck, Rick Perry fought against it. Every state has slightly different requirements of what is a valid ID for voting. For example, in Texas a Concealed Carry Permit was legal ID for voting, but a US military ID card was not in the first set requirements. Note that neither document establishes that the person is a US citizen with a right to vote.

My daughter was born at Clark Air Base in the Philippines - a legal 'native born' US citizen, child of a US citizen. The state of Texas has denied her a driver's license several times because she does not have a green card or naturalization certificate. She does have a US passport and a Certificate of Citizenship, yet Texas DPS has denied either as proof of US citizenship on more than one occasion. So have country registrars offices which had denied her voter registration. She can usually get it worked out which her job moves her out of state and back in, but it takes several days, and usually a lawyer for 10-15 hours of fees to get done.

The NRA and the right absolutely HATE the idea of a verified ID to positively identify a person. It is not the idea of ensuring the citizenship or legal status of the person. They are positive that that such an ID would be used to track gun ownership, personal travel, etc. They fight against efforts to setup positive border controls for US citizens/ residents.

Today there is NO federal level, comprehensive check of persons exiting the United States. Which makes it impossible for Immigration to track on a near real-time basis the number of legal US visitors who overstay their visa's. Note the 9/11 hijackers all came to the US legally, and overstayed their visa's.

Sure the 'left' disagrees with the WAY voter ID laws are being implemented to try to restrict minority and poor people from voting. But not the concept in general.

It is the 'right' that is against the concept of actually having a valid, verifiable ID for every person in the US, like most other countries have.

Also, the large corporations are strongly against a verifiable system to ensure that only people with a legal right to work can get jobs in this country. The 'right' supports this because it fears big government ID 'controls'. The 'left' is against this because it would prevent tens of thousands of illegal workers in well paying skilled jobs like meat packing, construction, etc from working and paying taxes. The companies have got around the verification of employment status with the use of contract workers. Where the employee doesn't actually work for the plant/ company, but works for a contractor. So if Immigration raids a place and says the workers are illegal, the company cannot be punished. It is a paper shuffle sham whose sole purpose is to let illegal workers take well paying skilled jobs.

A 'national ID' will not stop people from being in this country illegally, working or voting when they are not citizens. It happens on countries with such laws around the world all the time, every day. But it lessens the instances which it occurs.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8707
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:46 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:
You're making vast generalizations. I have voted in approximately 3 big US states, some democrat, some centrist and some republican controlled and I have never had an issue going to vote. What are these hoops you are talking about?

Probably because you lived in an area where you weren't targeted and maybe had all the resources to get to the ballot box without worry.

Blacks in Alabama a few years ago, however, were targeted when the state decided to close DMV offices in many counties (the majority of which were in AL's Black Belt). The state's excuse? "We need to save money so we'll close the offices for good, but don't worry; we have a mobile unit providing services."

Arizona reduced the number of polling places around the state throughout the last decade, targeting the minority neighborhoods. Even Maricopa County, the state's population center was not spared, though the places where polling places were closed also seemed targeted.

For what it's worth: I'm OK with voter ID, so long as the state gives ample time to prepare and makes it easy for people to register.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:53 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
Who fought against 'Real ID'? - The Republican states.

Real ID and the voter ID initiative are two completely separate issues. Elections are run by the state, and a federal level nationwide identification system has little to do with state-based voter ID laws.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:41 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:
You're making vast generalizations. I have voted in approximately 3 big US states, some democrat, some centrist and some republican controlled and I have never had an issue going to vote. What are these hoops you are talking about?

Maybe you can use this Kentucky election as an example to further your argument because I am puzzled about what the issue is. This was not a biased decision to hold this election like this - A democrat governor agreed with the republican sec. of state to delay the primary during coronavirus and widely expand mail-in voting and early voting. The in-person early voting has been happening for the last 7 days. 7 DAYS! 30% of the requested ballots were done in early voting which is an increase from the typical 1.5%. This is obviously good news. In addition there was another location in Jefferson county opened up for early voting and we have heard nothing about people having to wait for more than a little bit (the most I could find was around an hour today) during this whole time-frame until a bunch of people showed up right at 6pm on the last hour of the last day to vote. The one place in the county that was opened up practically had no lines all day as it was a massive expo center done for social distancing.

This is stupid and 100% the left crying about this including the usual socialist rags. You had multiple places you could have voted at in this county for a week with no lines, you could have requested and done this from the comfort of your home by mail-in-ballot. You did neither, a few idiots decided to show up at the last minute of the last day and are now crying.

It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".


You are making stuff up. A Republican rep sued to open up more physical polling stations in the 5 most populous KY counties. A federal judge denied the suit because he said that there was no evidence this would lead to voter suppression. Good, I agree with the judge. This is insane. You have a whole week to go or get a ballot by mail and your idiot ass shows up right at 1800 when polls close at 1800 on the very last day. GTFOH.

Its weird to see you embrace a Republican rep though.

What is this thread even about? This is a non-story.


Name calling and swearing. That totally proves you are 100% right. Oh, BTW, it is DEMOCRATIC governor, not democrat governor. We have no democrat party. Please correct this for future posts. Thank you.

Now, on to the rest of your misinformation: I have voted in three West coast states, both in person and by mail. Every single time, it was easy to vote because the state had already verified their voters. Those who wanted to vote could. No jumping through hoops like trying to figure out when and where the next time and place was to get a legal ID. Like trying to figure out what acceptable forms of ID are. Like trying to decipher the rules. None of that. Why? Because Democratic controlled states make it easy for LEGAL Americans to vote. Democratic controlled states want all LEGAL Americans to have a voice.

Not like the dictator loving Republicans who demand blind loyalty, no say in anything, and one party rule.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".


"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”
 
bhill
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Judas Priest!! Not this "mail in voter fraud" bullshit AGAIN!!!

Chart from brookings edu:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2 ... the-risks/

My Washington State ballot is very secure...even postage is covered if you cannot drop it in a ballot box. There are barcodes, signatures, a second envelope the ballot is enclosed in...and shit that is prolly secret to keep it secure..

Please stop and educate yourself...mind you EVERY service member stationed overseas uses this method of exercising their right to vote!!
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
Who fought against 'Real ID'? - The Republican states.

Real ID and the voter ID initiative are two completely separate issues. Elections are run by the state, and a federal level nationwide identification system has little to do with state-based voter ID laws.


It was the principle of having an ID which was trackable and verifiable what the right is against. Even now, states are approving 'voter IDs' that do not establish a legal citizenship status. And the states do not want to cooperate with each other verifying doucments.

It is the same thing as far as the issue of having a VERIFIED proof of US citizenship and right to vote. NONE of the state Voter ID laws do that.

Right now the ONLY documents which in the US PROVE you are a citizen with a right to vote are a US Passport, a Naturalization Certificate or a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the federal government. A birth certificate does not PROVE you are a citizen. It only proves that someone using a name like the name you are using was born in the US. The states accept your statement as valid without any investigation to see if the birth certificate is real, or if you are that person.

Fraud in faked birth certificates to obtain documents such as a driver's license occurs at a much more documented rate than voter fraud.

Voter ID laws are a sham to fool people into thinking the people voting are being verified as citizens. None of them do any such thing.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:47 am

Dieuwer wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".


"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”


And when Stacey Abrams said that, Republicans said she was whining and a sore loser......
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 am

rfields5421 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
Who fought against 'Real ID'? - The Republican states.

Real ID and the voter ID initiative are two completely separate issues. Elections are run by the state, and a federal level nationwide identification system has little to do with state-based voter ID laws.


It was the principle of having an ID which was trackable and verifiable what the right is against. Even now, states are approving 'voter IDs' that do not establish a legal citizenship status. And the states do not want to cooperate with each other verifying doucments.

It is the same thing as far as the issue of having a VERIFIED proof of US citizenship and right to vote. NONE of the state Voter ID laws do that.

Right now the ONLY documents which in the US PROVE you are a citizen with a right to vote are a US Passport, a Naturalization Certificate or a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the federal government. A birth certificate does not PROVE you are a citizen. It only proves that someone using a name like the name you are using was born in the US. The states accept your statement as valid without any investigation to see if the birth certificate is real, or if you are that person.


Each state sets their bar as to what constitutes a legal voter. In other words, federal law says "you are a citizen if you meet these few criteria" but each state says "you can vote if you meet these other criteria". Democratic majority states say "federal law says you are a citizen if your mother is a naturalized American citizen so you get to vote too even if you were born on an American military base in South Korea" while Republican majority states say "those documents are not enough because the law just changed last night".

There are parallels between legal voting rights and Second Amendment. But that is for a different thread. It should be brought up, though. Alabama must have this long list of documents that may or may not be legal for identification if the mobile state identification service comes around to the Black majority areas. Oregon will register people who get their identification with proper legal identification no other questions asked.
 
LOT767301ER
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:15 am

It isn't the 'left'. The right/ NRA is very much against that for a simple reason


Well the NRA is wrong then. Im not afraid to flame both sides.

States are restricting the ability to get an ID. Been to a DPS/DMV office in large cities lately? In Dallas there is a month or longer wait for an appointment. Just showing up and standing in line is a four to seven hour wait - if you get there before 10 am. If after, you have to come back the next day.


I went to plenty of DPS offices in North Texas circa 2011-2013. I never had a problem. To be fair I didnt know it was such a huge problem now so I took the liberty of signing onto the DPS website https://public.txdpsscheduler.com/ and searching around the Dallas area. You can get an appointment in 18 days. That is very quick considering there was just a 2 month backlog. You cant plan to renew your ID 2.5 weeks before it expires after a 2 month shutdown, what is the issue?

Who fought against 'Real ID'? - The Republican states. Gov Greg Abbott sued the Obama administration three different times trying to stop the requirement for a verified positive ID while he was state Attorney General. Calling it an unfunded federal mandate. Heck, Rick Perry fought against it. Every state has slightly different requirements of what is a valid ID for voting. For example, in Texas a Concealed Carry Permit was legal ID for voting, but a US military ID card was not in the first set requirements. Note that neither document establishes that the person is a US citizen with a right to vote.

My daughter was born at Clark Air Base in the Philippines - a legal 'native born' US citizen, child of a US citizen. The state of Texas has denied her a driver's license several times because she does not have a green card or naturalization certificate. She does have a US passport and a Certificate of Citizenship, yet Texas DPS has denied either as proof of US citizenship on more than one occasion. So have country registrars offices which had denied her voter registration. She can usually get it worked out which her job moves her out of state and back in, but it takes several days, and usually a lawyer for 10-15 hours of fees to get done.

The NRA and the right absolutely HATE the idea of a verified ID to positively identify a person. It is not the idea of ensuring the citizenship or legal status of the person. They are positive that that such an ID would be used to track gun ownership, personal travel, etc. They fight against efforts to setup positive border controls for US citizens/ residents.

Today there is NO federal level, comprehensive check of persons exiting the United States. Which makes it impossible for Immigration to track on a near real-time basis the number of legal US visitors who overstay their visa's. Note the 9/11 hijackers all came to the US legally, and overstayed their visa's.

Sure the 'left' disagrees with the WAY voter ID laws are being implemented to try to restrict minority and poor people from voting. But not the concept in general.

It is the 'right' that is against the concept of actually having a valid, verifiable ID for every person in the US, like most other countries have.

Also, the large corporations are strongly against a verifiable system to ensure that only people with a legal right to work can get jobs in this country. The 'right' supports this because it fears big government ID 'controls'. The 'left' is against this because it would prevent tens of thousands of illegal workers in well paying skilled jobs like meat packing, construction, etc from working and paying taxes. The companies have got around the verification of employment status with the use of contract workers. Where the employee doesn't actually work for the plant/ company, but works for a contractor. So if Immigration raids a place and says the workers are illegal, the company cannot be punished. It is a paper shuffle sham whose sole purpose is to let illegal workers take well paying skilled jobs.


I agree with everything you wrote. Both sides are complicit in this.

Probably because you lived in an area where you weren't targeted and maybe had all the resources to get to the ballot box without worry.


I wouldnt consider living in counties that had national ballot box issues implications in several past presidential elections as very resourceful. I also voted and lived recently in the largest non-English speaking county by % in the US and again had no issues being a minority in said county.

Im not familiar with the issues with AL and AZ. If they are true as you wrote I am a proponent of making it as easy as possible to vote so I would disagree with what happened there. However, that does not reflect on the situation that just happened in KY. It was not hard by any stretch of the imagination to vote there and the polling places were curtailed on voting day because of COVID and that was known for months in advance.

A 'national ID' will not stop people from being in this country illegally, working or voting when they are not citizens. It happens on countries with such laws around the world all the time, every day. But it lessens the instances which it occurs.


I never wrote anything about a National ID, where is this coming from?

LOT767301ER wrote:
You're making vast generalizations. I have voted in approximately 3 big US states, some democrat, some centrist and some republican controlled and I have never had an issue going to vote. What are these hoops you are talking about?

Maybe you can use this Kentucky election as an example to further your argument because I am puzzled about what the issue is. This was not a biased decision to hold this election like this - A democrat governor agreed with the republican sec. of state to delay the primary during coronavirus and widely expand mail-in voting and early voting. The in-person early voting has been happening for the last 7 days. 7 DAYS! 30% of the requested ballots were done in early voting which is an increase from the typical 1.5%. This is obviously good news. In addition there was another location in Jefferson county opened up for early voting and we have heard nothing about people having to wait for more than a little bit (the most I could find was around an hour today) during this whole time-frame until a bunch of people showed up right at 6pm on the last hour of the last day to vote. The one place in the county that was opened up practically had no lines all day as it was a massive expo center done for social distancing.

This is stupid and 100% the left crying about this including the usual socialist rags. You had multiple places you could have voted at in this county for a week with no lines, you could have requested and done this from the comfort of your home by mail-in-ballot. You did neither, a few idiots decided to show up at the last minute of the last day and are now crying.

It is by design. Republicans do not want We The People to vote. They simply want to hold onto power. They have done zero over the past four years. And We The People know it. If we get to tell them so, they will lose bigly. Republicans do not want that. They simply want to hold onto power. They have no plan other than "reelect us and we might put together something at some point down the road maybe".


You are making stuff up. A Republican rep sued to open up more physical polling stations in the 5 most populous KY counties. A federal judge denied the suit because he said that there was no evidence this would lead to voter suppression. Good, I agree with the judge. This is insane. You have a whole week to go or get a ballot by mail and your idiot ass shows up right at 1800 when polls close at 1800 on the very last day. GTFOH.

Its weird to see you embrace a Republican rep though.

What is this thread even about? This is a non-story.


Name calling and swearing. That totally proves you are 100% right. Oh, BTW, it is DEMOCRATIC governor, not democrat governor. We have no democrat party. Please correct this for future posts. Thank you.


Im good thanks, democrat governor. I would change it but now that you mentioned it Ill continue writing that just for you.

Now, on to the rest of your misinformation: I have voted in three West coast states, both in person and by mail. Every single time, it was easy to vote because the state had already verified their voters. Those who wanted to vote could. No jumping through hoops like trying to figure out when and where the next time and place was to get a legal ID. Like trying to figure out what acceptable forms of ID are. Like trying to decipher the rules. None of that. Why? Because Democratic controlled states make it easy for LEGAL Americans to vote. Democratic controlled states want all LEGAL Americans to have a voice.


Yea, I still dont get it your argument. I have voted in every kind of politically leaning county/state and my observations are pretty uniform. Who is trying to figure out what acceptable forms of ID are? Ive never heard of a state ID/DL not being an acceptable ID in any jurisdiction. I mean, maybe if you are stupid as dirt and think that a credit card receipt from a local restaurant would pass as a valid form of ID then possibly...

I dont really care how you arrive at the conclusion but the conclusion must be that there is verification of ID with the assumption that it proves citizenship. The burden could be on the government to do that but that does not detract from the fact that going in with your cell phone bill and voting is outrageous.

Voter ID laws are a sham to fool people into thinking the people voting are being verified as citizens. None of them do any such thing.


That is absolutely true but its only a function of having an idiotic system. We can fix this very easily by matching the ID to a citizenship database. Its not that voter ID does not work. Its the fact that the states do not want to do it right.

Judas Priest!! Not this "mail in voter fraud" bullshit AGAIN!!!

Chart from brookings edu:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2 ... the-risks/

My Washington State ballot is very secure...even postage is covered if you cannot drop it in a ballot box. There are barcodes, signatures, a second envelope the ballot is enclosed in...and shit that is prolly secret to keep it secure..

Please stop and educate yourself...mind you EVERY service member stationed overseas uses this method of exercising their right to vote!!


I dont buy it. Not because I believe Trump/Republicans but because you have no verifiable way to actually know who is doing the voting. Let me present to you what I saw once a few election cycles again.I happened to be visiting a assisted living facility with my friend and it happened to be just before the election because all the seniors were in their rec room having a vote party. No secrecy, people arguing over politics and trying to convince each other who to vote for and a few people filling out ballots for others with the actual person not verifying that is who they intended to vote for.

There is absolutely no way this would have been discovered in any study looking at mail-in-ballots and on paper there was no fraud but at the end of the day that is exactly what it was.

Alabama must have this long list of documents that may or may not be legal for identification if the mobile state identification service comes around to the Black majority areas


I just went to the AL website - > https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/voter/voter-id What issue do you take with this? Not only does AL have a lot of valid IDs, they will provide you with a free voter ID if you do not possess any of them. In addition you can still vote via provisional ballot if you show up without ID.

This is some eskimo pie type of fake outrage.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aesma, Airstud, FGITD, L0VE2FLY, LCDFlight, scbriml, StarAC17, WildcatYXU and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos